University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndrewJ42

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just got back from my interview/visit day at Michigan (Health Management and Policy) and I loved it there. I was pretty worried going in that it might be somewhat like a medical school interview, but it was really casual and I had a good time meeting some of the other prospectives and faculty. Now that is done, I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted into their program (they told us to not worry about being accepted as an invitation to visit day basically means that they want us). I have a couple questions for those who attend school there.

1) I know that Island Drive/Medical Court apartments are where most students tend to live, but do you know of any other places that are fairly close to the school?

2) How hard is it to obtain a GSI/GSRA position..while I know there is no undergraduate public health major, I was wondering if anyone knew of where to look for these positions.

Thanks to everyone will replies and I hope to see you at Michigan next year!
GO BLUE!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I just got back from my interview/visit day at Michigan (Health Management and Policy) and I loved it there. I was pretty worried going in that it might be somewhat like a medical school interview, but it was really casual and I had a good time meeting some of the other prospectives and faculty. Now that is done, I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted into their program (they told us to not worry about being accepted as an invitation to visit day basically means that they want us). I have a couple questions for those who attend school there.

1) I know that Island Drive/Medical Court apartments are where most students tend to live, but do you know of any other places that are fairly close to the school?

2) How hard is it to obtain a GSI/GSRA position..while I know there is no undergraduate public health major, I was wondering if anyone knew of where to look for these positions.

GO BLUE!

I, too, am considering Michigan, however, I would be in the MPH Epidemiology department.

I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted into their program (they told us to not worry about being accepted as an invitation to visit day basically means that they want us). I have a couple questions for those who attend school there.

Thanks for the info.! I'm visiting for my interview on the 26th.

Last Friday there was a chat for admitted students (I was admitted to the HBHE program) with the Dean, and many students had similar questions. You can get a transcript of past chats with the Dean at http://www.sph.umich.edu/students/admitted.html. The most recent chat should be available later this week. Though GSIs/GSRAs are competitive, you have the option of going through the department related to your undergraduate major.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm also going to be at interview day for the health policy and management at UMICH on the 26th. Right now, I'm deciding between UMICH and Columbia MPH, both for Health Policy. Which one is the stronger program for health policy, domestic as well as international? Also, is there a way to "negotiate" scholarship awards?

well you know, it all depends on the faculty members you'd like to work with...i'm going to Michigan for policy because they have a member of the faculty who has experience with the UN Millenium Project...but UM does have it's share of great JD/MPH professors (one being Peter Jacobson and another being Toby Citrin)...but you asked in another post if going to Columbia MPH will help you get into Columbia Law...I really don't think it help, but it does help in the case you make some good connections...

I know similar posts have been up but for different departments. I'm having a really tough time deciding between the two. UM is ranked #1 but Yale is Ivy League and most of the admitted students have work experience. I don't think this is the case with the U of M. Also, in terms of international health, Yale seems to have more connections with organizations such as WHO. Any comments on both schools would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hey everyone!

GO BLUE!

Congrats!!!