university of michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadeqq

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering, U. of michigan dentistry is my first choice, has anyone heard from them in regards to interviews yet?

thanks

si

Members don't see this ad.

Today itself I called Univ. Of Michigan and they told me they would start looking into applications from next week.

Sam,

thanks for following up for me!

si

Members don't see this ad :)
My buddy (3.9 GPA and 24/26 DAT) got an interview from them in the mail last Friday (so he says). This guy also got denied by Oregon, so he only has two schools left!

I'm a D1 @ UMich and I believe interviews started this past Fri because I saw a bunch of interviewees. This year's class is great and I highly recommend coming here. There's a lot to do here and the atmosphere is not that competitive. Good luck!

I went to an interview there Friday. All I can say is that they made us all write two essays. Since there wasn't enough room around the table I wrote them in my lap. Sigh.

Brand, as a classmate of Kacy's all I can say is don't worry about the essays. They're really nothing more than a test to see if you know how to write coherent sentences. Other than that if you have any questions about UM feel free to contact me. I will say this, the school is exceeding my expectations. I went here as an undergrad and was seriously considering other schools but ended up at UM. And I'm really glad I did. Our class is fantastic, the stories/rumors I'd heard haven't come true and I'm very happy with my preperation so far. Best of luck.

I am seriously considering Michigan. I'm from the state and have always wanted to go there. It is great to hear your positive prospective. I have to admit though the Univ. has been testing my patience as of late. I went to High School in Michigan but attended BYU in Utah. I graduated two years ago and have been back in Michigan ever since. Well, after sending the U of M my federal and state income taxes for the last 2 years, copy of my birth certificate, copy of my drivers license, my parent's W-2 forms for the last 2 years along with their pay stubs and driver license, the university says that they will consider me as an out-of-stater unless I send them some checks with my signature at local businesses during the months of May to September. The problem is I haven't written a check in a very long time. I use a check card or a credit card. When trying to resolve the situation they tell me they "really" need the checks. All I can do is laugh away my frustration. I sent them a copy of my bank statement that shows my activity at local businesses, but since my wife's name is also on the statement they won't accept it as proof. The whole process is really leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.
Please tell me this is not the treatment I can expect if I actually attend the university. Any advice? Even with the bitter taste in my mouth I am still interested in attending. Being a local has brainwashed me.

In vs Out State is one of the few areas where Michigan is really tough. It doesn't matter who you are, what college, or timeline, if you've left the state for any period of time and changed addresses or anything like that they're going to give you trouble. I have no experience with that problem myself since I'm instate and haven't left yet but all I can say is keep trying and try talking to different people. Go over their head if you need to and when the time comes if you get in, see what the Dental school can do you help. Good luck

I have confirmed an interview date in Nov. They offered two choices, the 15th or 22nd. I think they said there will be 30 applicants for each date.

I was born & raised in MI for 20+ years (graduated both HS and college in MI) and have lived in TN fo the last 5. The dental school gave me a phone # to answer questions on residency. They said since my folks still live there I will pay out of state my 1st year and in state for the last 3 years.

Any SDNer's have an upcoming intervirew at u of Mich.???

Matt

Originally posted by Blue Tooth
Brand, as a classmate of Kacy's all I can say is don't worry about the essays. They're really nothing more than a test to see if you know how to write coherent sentences. Other than that if you have any questions about UM feel free to contact me. I will say this, the school is exceeding my expectations. I went here as an undergrad and was seriously considering other schools but ended up at UM. And I'm really glad I did. Our class is fantastic, the stories/rumors I'd heard haven't come true and I'm very happy with my preperation so far. Best of luck.

Hey do u or Kacy know a lot of D2s? 2 clowns perhaps? Paris and Moussie? :laugh:

I interviewed at U of M this past Friday. If you're from the West Coast... be prepared... it's FREEZING over there! That was my only complaint. The people are friendly, lunch was yummy, students were very candid, the essays were easy, and the interview was very laid back. What I liked most about their program is what they call the "Vertically Integrated Clinics" in which D1's assist D3's and D4's for two half-days a week, so they get early exposure to clinics.

Lotanna- yeah I know Paris, he's a cool guy. I don't know Moussie though.

Ev29- I hate to tell you this but it wasn't that cold friday. It gets worse :) . Ask Kacy how he's doing though, he's from Hawaii and still hasn't seen snow. I can't wait to expose some of these people from warmer climates to real seasons.

Ah, yes...Michigan weather. The only thing colder is my ex-girlfriend. No, seriously. It's really cold here. Everyone just loves to tease me and tell me how cold it's going to get. Then, I cry :(

Originally posted by Blue Tooth
Lotanna- yeah I know Paris, he's a cool guy. I don't know Moussie though.

Ev29- I hate to tell you this but it wasn't that cold friday. It gets worse :) . Ask Kacy how he's doing though, he's from Hawaii and still hasn't seen snow. I can't wait to expose some of these people from warmer climates to real seasons.

Cool, Paris is my best friend :) We went to undergrad at MSU 2gether.
Even though I'm going the med schl route, I'm very impressed with U-M's dental schl, and the clinic. I am always there visiting Paris, you guys are exposed to patients really early compared to other dental schl's i hear.

@space kacy---welcome to Michigan, the fun has only got started, ever been in subzero temps weather before??:eek:

I've been the U of MI but I'm out of state. I read that one of you said that it was difficult for out of state people to get in? What about deferred admission? If I did move there then my whole family would and we would live there - not just for school. I could establish residency and defer admission. Do I get to tell them that we would like to settle in MI and residency isn't just becuase of school?

I think for a public school, UofM has one of, if not the highest, out of state acceptance rate. That's why I applied here. Our class seems loaded with out of staters so I think out of state applicants have a great shot here.

Kacy is right. UM and Maryland have prolly the highest number of out of state people for state schools. I was referring to residency for out of state people. Since I don't actually do that stuff I can't speak specifically, you'd have to talk to the school. But I would still think you'd have trouble doing it. They're just really tough and even if you had family move, they'd scrutinize the residency application. You'd have to present a compelling argument.

Michigan will not accept you as a resident. Plain and simple. When you actually are a resident it is nearly impossible to prove it. The residency office keeps making requirements for me to meet, once they are met they are immediately followed by a new set of requirements. I dread mail from Ann Arbor. Eventually they will accept the fact that I am a resident, but the process has been grueling. I am waiting for them to demand the birth certificates of my grandparents. This whole process has moved Michigan to last on my list. I find it impossible to believe that this is the only issue they take so seriously. Grrrrrrr.

Well if my husband goes up there to work and we move there because of his job won't they accept me later on as a resident???? Either way, I'm still totally interested. :) Is the school strong in clinical?

If you are not a resident when you start school your statis will never change. If you buy a house it still won't matter. I don't mean to sound abrasive, but U of M is insanely strict about this. So, if you didn't move and work in Michigan full-time since last August, you will be considered an out-of-stater until you graduate.

Keep in mind that the state will consider you a resident. You will be able to vote. But, your tuition at Michigan will never change.

Your clinical experience at U of M will be weak, however the opportunity for research is HUGE! Also, keep in mind that 1/3+ of U of M students go on to specialize!!!! The only stat that I still remember is that 7 of 9 applicants who applied to Ortho programs were accepted. All the research really helps out in that aspect. U of M wants you to specialize and they help a great deal in reaching that goal.