University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UofM gives 7k to its out of state students in its 3rd or 4th year, so at least they give ya'll something :) Also, UofM's pharmacy school hasn't completed the negotiations with the Business school over a joint degree (and I don't think it ever will given the stubborn pride of each particular entity), so you'd probably have to spend extra time in order to finish each separately. They're both fine schools, and I have little vested interest in the rivalry as it seems rather petty even though everyone gets irrationally caught up into it. However, that being said, we haven't began formalities yet: OSU sucks!

This is dangerdog. This is the old account that I remembered a few days ago.

Hahaha, U of M blows. :D Just kidding. U of M and OSU were my 2 top choices. U of M was just toooooo slow to get back to me and meanwhile OSU needed my acceptance before their deadline. It was a tough choice. OSU's willingness to bend backwards for me, plus the Pharm.D/MBA joint program, and their super easy residency policy finally swayed me. But I would have been happy either way as a wolverine or a buckeye (I'm just a disloyal kind of a guy I guess). :laugh:

City wise, I actually like Ann Arbor. Smaller, less traffic, no ghettos, and if you are into chinese food then let me tell you that Chinese food sucks in Columbus. LOL

Members don't see this ad.

is u of m that slow? anytime i emailed the admissions office, they got back to me as soon as they could... and i had a great impression of the administration when i came for the interview, very welcoming and they seemed to really care ^^ i interviewed on mar 13 at u of m, and they told me via email on mar 16 of my acceptance. (waiting for my official letter thru snail mail tho) ^^ i am pretty ecstatic about it.

but now the questions of where to go also looms before me too... :scared:
but in my case ive already declined osu and ive nawrrowed it to western, midwestern(AZ) or u of mich... :eek:

is u of m that slow? anytime i emailed the admissions office, they got back to me as soon as they could... and i had a great impression of the administration when i came for the interview, very welcoming and they seemed to really care ^^ i interviewed on mar 13 at u of m, and they told me via email on mar 16 of my acceptance. (waiting for my official letter thru snail mail tho) ^^ i am pretty ecstatic about it.

but now the questions of where to go also looms before me too... :scared:
but in my case ive already declined osu and ive nawrrowed it to western, midwestern(AZ) or u of mich... :eek:

maybe it was just my bad luck, or maybe they shaped up since 2005. :) Either way, congrats! I don't think you need to think about which school to go, of the 3, U of M all the way. :)

If you are into chinese food, there is a small dinner next to campus called "dinersty", it's dirt cheap, like $5-$6. And ask for the chinese menu, that's the one got the all non-whitey chinese food on it. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I have to make a decision soon.

Michigan is really expensive if you're out of state, and I was told that many out-of-state students do not gain residency during any of the 4 years. Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm having a really tough time deciding between Michigan and Saint John Fisher since I'm waitlisted at UB. Any insight would be wonderful :)

did anyone get rejected from umich for this admission cycle who interviewed in janurary or later?

Last edited:
I was rejected....

NOW I'M ACCEPTED! Ahhhhh..... I'm terrified the email was not meant to be sent to meee! But apparently, I am IN! WOAHHH!

I was rejected....

NOW I'M ACCEPTED! Ahhhhh..... I'm terrified the email was not meant to be sent to meee! But apparently, I am IN! WOAHHH!

congrats!!! i'll see you in the FALL

I was rejected....

Oh my goodness!! I'm so happy for you!!! Congratulations :-D

I was rejected....

I also received an admission offer via email from Dean Perry. I'm not sure what to think or do, if anything.

Ahhh! Thanks i'm beyond excited! Did you make your decision yet?

not 100%, but I am leaning towards St. John Fisher. I don't want to give up on Michigan bc I really loved it there...but it doesn't look like it would work :(

OMG I GOT THE SAME EMAIL!!!

i was rejected in january..now accepted WOOHOO!:)

Are you going to withdraw from wayne?

Ahhh! Thanks i'm beyond excited! Did you make your decision yet?

You guys are awesome...for not losing hope =)

Members don't see this ad :)
curious question, why are they accepting people that they rejected in the first place?

OMG I GOT THE SAME EMAIL!!!

i was rejected in january..now accepted WOOHOO!:)

Are you going to withdraw from wayne?

Yeah i'm going to withdraw. i just am not sure at all how to say that I am withdrawing?!

And now i've gotta find housing, ahhhh!

Oh wow. Dean Perry sent out acceptance letters after she rejected people again this year? haha...well, on the bright side, at least ya'll are happy and I might see you as a part of the incoming P1 class next year! Congratulations, and welcome - you're in for a hell of a ride!

Oh wow. Dean Perry sent out acceptance letters after she rejected people again this year? haha...well, on the bright side, at least ya'll are happy and I might see you as a part of the incoming P1 class next year! Congratulations, and welcome - you're in for a hell of a ride!

I'm going to run the numbers before I make any decisions. Evilolive, do you know the attrition rate offhand? Why do you call it a "hell of a ride"?

Last edited:

I'm also curious about your comment -- does Michigan have a lot of negatives? Please share :)

I posted this before and I'm glad I saved it into a word document because it'll be handy again:

Pros: Education here is focused towards clinical pharmacy, though about 40% of the class ends up in community practice. Your professors write the guidelines or helped to create them in their area of expertise. Therapeutics is organized so that every section has one clinical pharmacist who teaches that section, most of whom are good teachers who know how to apply the clinical knowledge to various circumstances and give you perspectives on not only to learn the guidelines, but how to apply them. There are amazing rotation sites at a world class teaching hospital, and two years of therapeutics for a strong pharmacy core knowledge. The UofM name pretty much guarantees you a residency somewhere and you will have a strong grasp of knowledge (I can't really figure out how I'm going to be proficient considering how fast I forget stuff) once you graduate. This could be a con, but all pharmacy students are required to do a PharmD research project over the course of two years, where research must be conducted, data analyzed, and summarily written like a thesis and presented before a committee. Works wonders for residency applications as well as juggling projects once in the respective programs.

There's an automatic alumni scholarship for your 3rd and 4th years (out of state gets 7k each year, instate gets around 4-5?). The city is also quite affluent and a liberal bastion in the middle of nowhere. There's a lot of great bar scenes, crazy people when football comes around, and nice restaurants for those who like to spend $$. You also get 4 months off during EVERY summer.

Cons: It's really cold and expensive: i pay ~34k a year in out of state tuition though the school is much more open to admitting nonresidents at around 30-40% of every class. Therapeutics is structured so that you'll have to memorize all these nuances and details that no one would ever really retain in practice, but I suppose that's in the spirit of 'being a good clinician' in being able to make the decisions given a certain set of information. Critical thinking and judgment is an annoying skill that takes time to learn where some pick it up faster than others. Brute memorization won't really work anymore. Pharmacology is taught by Old Relics in the medical school who love making you learn a lot of random/nonsensical information where you'd probably never be able to pass an exam with unless you had the 10+ years of old exams in the Ctools test bank. The P1 year also doesn't really do much as it's just an easy year of prerequisites so you feel like you're wasting your time in never learning any pharmacy. The P2 year really picks up and is relentless in the amount of work and time commitment compared to the first year. So much for bars 3-4x a week. I also hear the P3 year is the worst because the difficulty of therapeutics just amplifies to another level with topics such as infectious disease and cardiology.

Also, you only have time for electives in your P3 year, as therapeutics absorbs most of the material that you would take as an elective in other schools. You also have to take non-health related electives in order to graduate. Another con is that every year a certain number (a couple maybe?) are held back because of the rigors of the curriculum. You'd think that after all the gatekeeping, Michigan would be trying to retain its students, but by putting the bar so high a lot of people actually end up repeating classes/years and a number of people failed out. One can wonder if they had gone to an easier pharmacy school would they have made it, but speculation always says that it may have been due to a number of extraneous reasons such as pharmacy not being a fit, personal problems and what not - and everyone likes to say that their pharmacy school is the hardest. Another pro/con is that the PharmD degree here is so comprehensive that a lot of the courses end up seemingly useless because you'll never apply everything you learned in school. As a result, you pick and choose what's important to you, but you never know, somewhere down the line you might want to switch and having the course might come in handy?

Bottom line: the education is top notch, but you're in for a ride if that's what you're looking for. This ain't no diploma mill!

i second everything that evilolive said. i definitely feel that the pros outweigh the cons. i love everything about this school and am blessed to be here.

the few of you who were accepted after rejection...do not panic, it is REAL! trust me...... ;) you are not the only ones this has happened to. there are a few in every class.

I wondered the same thing, but i'm not gonna ask them :)

think of it as like a secret alternate list. i think dean perry doesn't want to tell you that you are on this list because she doesn't want you to put your life on hold for U of M because it's understandable to do so. this way they sort of let you move on with your life, but keep you in mind because there is something special about you :)

I went and visited U of M yesterday and stopped by the Pharmacy building...I want to go there so bad! It's definitely my number one choice. Uggh I can't wait six months to find out what's going on!

think of it as like a secret alternate list. i think dean perry doesn't want to tell you that you are on this list because she doesn't want you to put your life on hold for U of M because it's understandable to do so. this way they sort of let you move on with your life, but keep you in mind because there is something special about you :)

lol, is that how she does it now? Reject and then reaccept? :D Back in '05, they pretty much just made people wait until they finished all the interviews. Talking about anticipatory anxiety.

U of M is tough, but then again, everyone should know that they are not going to have an easy go of it in a top 5 school.

Yeah, ann arbor is cold, but i lived there for years and loved it. The summer is beautiful, and the city was lively and non-ghetto. Any of you over there knows what's happening at the old Pfizer campus where I used to work? Has that affected Ann Arbor much? Before I left, it was the largest empolyer in town second only to the government. When I heard Pfizer was leaving town, I was worried for the local economy. :(

So after long discussions with the family, past students and such... I decided to stick to Wayne. Ah...

So after long discussions with the family, past students and such... I decided to stick to Wayne. Ah...

I'm really curious too, I thought you really wanted to go there!!

Its not that I heard bad things about UofM. I've lived at home throughout my entire undergrad, I have a pretty large family who I am extremely close with. When I got accepted to Wayne I decided it was a pretty good fit, so I never imagined getting a late acceptance from Michigan! Although its not a far drive I guess I just decided there was too much I'd risk losing if I went away.

I just got an acceptance email from Dean Perry today after being denied. :)

I got denied from all my schools (Due to lower GPA) and was content with just finding some bench chemist job for a year. This was a pleasant surprise and I cannot wait to start classes!

I just got an acceptance email from Dean Perry today after being denied. :)

I got denied from all my schools (Due to lower GPA) and was content with just finding some bench chemist job for a year. This was a pleasant surprise and I cannot wait to start classes!

Hi, congrats! Do you think you could tell me your stats? (GPA and PCATs) Thanks!

I had a 2.56 cumulative and a 2.78 science gpa. I got a 95 on the PCAT and did 4 years of undergraduate research in Inorganic Chemistry.

I know that my gpa is utter garbage. I just made sure to explain the reasons why and how I fixed them. I think getting my Bachelors degree and all the research helped A LOT to say the least.

:X

I wish I had known there was a secret alternative list because now I'm not very enthusiastic about going there. Everyone I know thinks I'm nuts for wanting to turn down UofM and go to Shenandoah.

cuedee, will you be choosing UM over Shenandoah?

what deters you from UM? and why do people think you are crazy?

cuedee, will you be choosing UM over Shenandoah?

what deters you from UM? and why do people think you are crazy?

Phope, I sent you a pm. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to Shenandoah. People think I'm crazy for turning down UMich.