Quantcast

University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received the envelope from University of Michigan with all the hotels and such awhile back.

Any advice about the best cost-effective hotel? I know the hotels in walking distance are a great idea because it will be cold, but they are quite expensive. Anyone from Michigan or that interviewed there have any advice about hotels and such?

I did some research, and it seems the Holiday Inn has a shuttle that leaves at 7:00 (http://www.hiannarbor.com/) (on the sheet it says 24 hour shuttle)... don't know where the shuttle drops you off... but UMich is a large campus. Maybe cutting it too close as the interview begins at 7:30.

Any advice is appreciated... and yes... I'm living up to my screen name!

MidwestMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, the Holiday Inn and Microtel (even cheaper) were both off of Plymouth road and were very affordable. Both hotels are less than a 10min drive to the Hospital (almost a straight shot down Plymouth) and the shuttle drops you off right in front of the main Hospital, making it relatively easy to get to the interview site. Plenty of other applicants will be staying at either hotel, so I wouldn't worry too much about "cutting it close." It's where I stayed all those years ago. Heck, my old condo is just down the street from the hotel as well. :luck:

motoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received the envelope from University of Michigan with all the hotels and such awhile back.

Any advice about the best cost-effective hotel? I know the hotels in walking distance are a great idea because it will be cold, but they are quite expensive. Anyone from Michigan or that interviewed there have any advice about hotels and such?

I did some research, and it seems the Holiday Inn has a shuttle that leaves at 7:00 (http://www.hiannarbor.com/) (on the sheet it says 24 hour shuttle)... don't know where the shuttle drops you off... but UMich is a large campus. Maybe cutting it too close as the interview begins at 7:30.

Any advice is appreciated... and yes... I'm living up to my screen name!

I just recently booked for november at microtel inn. seemed like a good deal (best value for money according to tripadvisor.com reviews). one night for $56 total. shuttle service to the hospital starts at 6 am

http://www.microtelannarbor.com/

obiwan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are you guys going to rent a car from detroit's airport? since this interviews are during prime snowing season, i'm kinda worried about renting a car and driving especially since my exposure to snow is limited (i'm from texas)

Reaction score
are you guys going to rent a car from detroit's airport? since this interviews are during prime snowing season, i'm kinda worried about renting a car and driving especially since my exposure to snow is limited (i'm from texas)

Hi all... thanks so much for your responses!!!

I am going to take a shuttle or taxi. In the mail that they sent, they have various options. I would terrible driving in winter weather, so I'm going to leave it to pros!

chitown82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm renting a car (interview in early Nov so hopefully no snow). I'll likely do the Holiday Inn as well (or might stay with a friend).

FryingPan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a female and interviewing at U. Mich on Nov. 18. Anyone interviewing that day interested in sharing cabs and/or hotel? Anything to save money! =)

JSI124

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I interviewed on 01/16 last year (and my wife on 01/23 for path) and we rented cars both times. There was some snowfall on the day of departure (both days), but overall it was an easy ride (20 min). After all, people in Michigan (road crews) are prepared for snow and roads get ploughed promptly.
I stayed at Holiday Inn, via UofM Patient/Visitor accomodation service, for $85. You can try Priceline, as we managed to get a room in the same Holiday Inn in March for $48 a night.
Looking forward to seeing you guys/girls at UofM.

GL on the trail!

checkers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I highly suggest the Microtel. Reasonable price (one of cheapest in Ann Arbor), near the highway but quiet, indoor hallways, minifridge in room, shuttles to hospital.

Reaction score
Thanks all... I call and confirmed that the shuttle does leave at 6 AM. Booked the hotel... and if you book I believe 14 days or so in advance, you get even more of a discount.

Look forward to visiting Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan!

ropeadope1983

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can book the cheapest hotel/motel you can find in the area if you like, then if you don't mind a guaranteed parking ticket ($15 I think) you can park in the big orange lot attached to Mitchell Field and walk about 5-10 minutes to the hospital (you just need to wake up early enough to make sure you get a spot...not sure how early though). I'm not sure if this will be cheaper than a hotel room within walking distance or the hotels with a shuttle service, but at least you can have control over when you get there (which can be worth so much when faced with the alternative of possibly being late to an important interview).