University of Minnesota c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remi4301

Michigan 2018!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying here as well. Good luck everyone!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reppin my home state!!!! So excited to see what happens this cycle!!

I love U of M, know why? Because they were the first to email me that they received my VMCAS. Now that's just some old fashioned good manners!

Members don't see this ad :)
I love U of M, know why? Because they were the first to email me that they received my VMCAS. Now that's just some old fashioned good manners!

Agreed! They responded surprisingly quickly. Maybe that's a good sign? :xf: :luck:

I found that of the schools that I applied to, UMN was the most organized and informative with sending emails.

Good luck y'all! I LOVED UMN, but sadly had to decline my acceptance due to $$.

I found that of the schools that I applied to, UMN was the most organized and informative with sending emails.

Good luck y'all! I LOVED UMN, but sadly had to decline my acceptance due to $$.

I'm so sorry. It's just terrible that we can't pursue our education because of money. Were you accepted already for this cycle?

I'm so sorry. It's just terrible that we can't pursue our education because of money. Were you accepted already for this cycle?

I was accepted last cycle (I'm a first year at Tufts right now; I'm IS). I was also accepted to Illinois OOS, which was also considerably less tuition than UMN. As much as I loved UMN, I really couldn't justify attending and having at least $50,000 more debt when I have some undergrad debt as well and have less expensive options to choose from.

I was accepted last cycle (I'm a first year at Tufts right now; I'm IS). I was also accepted to Illinois OOS, which was also considerably less tuition than UMN. As much as I loved UMN, I really couldn't justify attending and having at least $50,000 more debt when I have some undergrad debt as well and have less expensive options to choose from.

The cost of tuition at UMN is one thing that kinda worries me. I think I'll really like the school, but if I get in I would hate to turn them down because of finances...since you were accepted last year, any advice on interviews?

The cost of tuition at UMN is one thing that kinda worries me. I think I'll really like the school, but if I get in I would hate to turn them down because of finances...since you were accepted last year, any advice on interviews?

I believe UMN blocks any of their questions from being posted online (i.e. in the SDN interview feedback section), but basically I had two interviewers, one from the admissions office and one recent grad. They have no information on you beforehand. If I recall correctly, they asked me to describe my background in about three minutes, then they followed it up with 10-12 behavioral-type questions. Based on what I said, they added some follow-up questions in there as well. It wasn't too, too bad. Just be yourself.

I would google "behavioral interview" questions and work from those. Try going through all of your experiences (life experiences, not just in vet med) and using those to come up with an answer.

Reactions: 1 user
That's great advice. Thank you so much, Cloudless.

I believe UMN blocks any of their questions from being posted online (i.e. in the SDN interview feedback section), but basically I had two interviewers, one from the admissions office and one recent grad. They have no information on you beforehand. If I recall correctly, they asked me to describe my background in about three minutes, then they followed it up with 10-12 behavioral-type questions. Based on what I said, they added some follow-up questions in there as well. It wasn't too, too bad. Just be yourself.

I would google "behavioral interview" questions and work from those. Try going through all of your experiences (life experiences, not just in vet med) and using those to come up with an answer.

This is a pretty much spot-on, excellent answer for anyone interviewing at UMN.

I especially liked her comment about "all your experiences". You're free to draw from anything in life, and they don't (necessarily) want one vet 'example' after another. They want the answer that bests fits the question; they don't want you to try and force a vet-related answer to fit the question when it really doesn't. Hope that makes sense.

Out of my 10 or so questions, I think only one answer was purely vet-related. Maybe two.

The only real preparation I did for the interview - and I think this would help you for ANY interview - is to spend some genuine time reflecting on life. Like, I set aside a deliberate time to go get some coffee, by myself, and sit down and think about on past jobs, activities, experiences, arguments, etc. I literally used pen and paper to force myself to think chronologically through life; just to bring everything back to the surface. (I didn't write everything down... I just used the pen/paper to write out the years and then I tried really hard to focus on it chronologically.)

Then, I went out with my wife a different night and had her ask me a ton of "behavioral interview questions" that I found with google. It's very easy to find them out there, and the ones you find will be very much like what you will be asked. If the question starts out with "Tell me about a time when ...." it's the right kind of question. They want a *specific* example that addresses whatever scenario, because they're assessing for particular behavior characteristics.

Also, Cloudless's comment to "be yourself" is great. People get super amp'd up (and I totally get it); you'll do best if you just take a deep breath, calm down, relax, and remember they aren't trying to 'fail' you. Don't be afraid of quiet space - if they ask you a question, take a few seconds to organize your answer in your head. You don't need to start jabbering just to fill space.

Congrats on Tufts, Cloudless! Great school, too!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, guys. DAT TUITION THO! ...Haha, applying OOS

Guess who's taking her freshman classes all over again? Me!

I always wished I could go back in time but this wasn't what I had in mind.

I'm applying here also! I'm *hoping* that attending here as an undergrad will allow them to consider me for instate tuition... we'll see though I suppose! Still haven't heard anything....

I would check on that gobeki. I'm already in state so I don't know the logistics of obtaining residency, but Let It Snow might be able to shed some light on this issue for you!!

As far as not hearing anything goes, it is good thing. No news is good news until about the first week or so in January. That's when they'll extend invites.

Chin up mates!! We've got Christmas and New Years to celebrate in the meantime!!:hardy:

I would check on that gobeki. I'm already in state so I don't know the logistics of obtaining residency, but Let It Snow might be able to shed some light on this issue for you!!

I can't, sorry. For starters, I've lived here decades so I don't know the in-state / out-of-state game personally. Second, administration regularly reminds us that residency is a complicated issue, that we shouldn't try to advise people on it, and to refer questions to them (and they'll most likely refer you to the staff person specifically tasked with handling it). Sorry - I'm not trying to duck the question; it's just complex and I don't want to mislead someone.

That said: If you have ANY questions about it, I wouldn't hesitate to call the admissions people, explain your question, and ask if you can talk to someone about it. It's a completely legitimate issue because of the impact it could have to your tuition; it could easily play into a go/no-go or apply/no-apply decision, so I think it's fair game to call and ask about it.

Best of luck in the application season to everyone!

Anyone else getting pretty anxious for early January?! Fingers crossed for an interview!

Reactions: 2 users
I received my interview invite last year on January 4th. You guys are almost there!

Hmm tomorrow?:corny:

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview!

Yay! Just received my interview invite!!:love:

Congrats! Minnesota was my first interview last year, so I think I was MOST nervous for it.

I just got an interview too:soexcited: via email and I am IS. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Just got an interview via email!!! OOS good luck to everyone!

Hey everyone! I'm kind of late replying here, but I just discovered this website about a week ago trying to study up for interviews. I just got my interview at MN as well! :D

It kind of sucks because I live in Wisconsin, and still won't get in-state tuition.... :/

I wish we got a confirmation email after submitting the interview survey. I suppose I'll just hope/ assume it went through.

I think they also want my fall transcripts. They sent me an email confirming a prerequisite, and they mentioned they wanted fall/spring transcripts ASAP after completing the courses. I was a little confused, since their website says only to send fall/spring transcripts if offered provisional admission.

Congrats on the MN interviews everyone! Ziska, I was sorry to see that you didn't get an interview to MN, your IS. I know that you were hoping for this one. The folks over at MN don't know what they're missing. Keep your chin up- there is a vet school out there just dying to have you on its admission roster- you and that adorable GS puppy in your profile pic :)

Reactions: 3 users
Woop woop interview

Congrats on the MN interviews everyone! Ziska, I was sorry to see that you didn't get an interview to MN, your IS. I know that you were hoping for this one. The folks over at MN don't know what they're missing. Keep your chin up- there is a vet school out there just dying to have you on its admission roster- you and that adorable GS puppy in your profile pic :)

Oh thank you so much LV!! That is so sweet!! :love: Made me cry!! I love the support on this forum! :biglove:I've been wanting to post, but I didn't want to bring anyone down.

Congratulations to all receiving interviews!! Remember, I might be behind, but I'm not done yet! :laugh:

P.S. This one isn't mine, but only because I couldn't afford to pay high to enough to convince the breeder to part with her! Honestly, I would have done the same!! Lol! My GSD is 13.5 and skinny, but still lookin good!!

Oh thank you so much LV!! That is so sweet!! :love: Made me cry!! I love the support on this forum! :biglove:I've been wanting to post, but I didn't want to bring anyone down.

Congratulations to all receiving interviews!! Remember, I might be behind, but I'm not done yet! :laugh:

P.S. This one isn't mine, but only because I couldn't afford to pay high to enough to convince the breeder to part with her!
Honestly, I would have done the same!! Lol! My GSD is 13.5 and skinny, but still lookin good!!

Couldn't agree more with Lab Vet. UMN is clearly missing out on a great applicant! I can't remember who said it on this forum, but I remember coming across a post last year (after I didn't get in) that said "prove them wrong" ("them" of course referring to the vet schools). I found that focusing on that helped. Plus, getting in after receiving rejections honestly makes victory soooo much sweeter :). I have full confidence in you! You can do it! And we are here to support you along the way :love:

Reactions: 2 users
INTERVIEW!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

getting this interview makes the other SEVERAL + rejections go down easier

Reactions: 1 users
I wish we got a confirmation email after submitting the interview survey. I suppose I'll just hope/ assume it went through.

Heh. It was always discomforting to me, too, not to get something confirming my submissions.

I will say this: Now that I'm there and I'm familiar with the staff, I think it's safe to say that the process won't go awry because of something like an electronic goof-up. If you submit something, and they don't get it, they'll just contact you looking for it. So, hard as it is, relax. :)

Best of luck to everyone! Look forward to seeing you at interviews!

Received my email to invite on Jan 3 as well!! :soexcited::clap:

Really wish they gave us more time to decide on the interview :( I think I'm going to decline. I've already been accepted to Michigan, so it's hard to justify spending the money to go out and interview. I really never thought I'd be in this position! Totally not complaining! Anyone have anything awesome to say about Minnesota that may change my mind? :p

Really wish they gave us more time to decide on the interview :( I think I'm going to decline. I've already been accepted to Michigan, so it's hard to justify spending the money to go out and interview. I really never thought I'd be in this position! Totally not complaining! Anyone have anything awesome to say about Minnesota that may change my mind? :p

It is currently twenty degrees below in Minneapolis.... oh wait good things :p

haha jk congrats though

We have a brand new curriculum. Also, it's -4583457934 degrees here today and school is NOT cancelled, so there's that..
Where's your IS, remi? Minnesota is pretty expensive for OOS.

I haven't decided yet and I just got an email saying they are extending my deadline till tomorrow to decide.

My in state is Univ of Georgia, which I am expecting a rejection from. My cumulative GPA is horrible, and that's what UGA cares about. I just got a call from Minnesota asking me to hurry up and decide, haha.