University of Minnesota c/o 2024 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EngrSC

VMCVM
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we won’t hear anything for a long while still, but thought I’d start this thread. Who else applied?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotta love the waiting game :dead:

Reactions: 2 users
I applied! OOS, first time applicant. I think I read somewhere on their admissions planning guide that interview invites go out in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied! OOS, first time applicant. I think I read somewhere on their admissions planning guide that interview invites go out in January.

According to the 2023 page, interview invites went out on December 28th and acceptances on February 20th. Hopefully they’ll do the same this year!

Reactions: 1 users
According to the 2023 page, interview invites went out on December 28th and acceptances on February 20th. Hopefully they’ll do the same this year!

That would be nice! Fingers crossed!

I was starting to get a little sad that I hadn't seen a UMN thread yet. Good luck, you guys!! If you have any questions about the program, there are a couple of us who frequent the forums :)

Reactions: 3 users
Do they send out rejections in December as well?

I applied too :) Good luck everyone!

2nd time IS applicant, anxiously waiting for interviews like everyone else! Good luck everyone :)

does anyone have any information on if the U gives any weight to alumni? especially as an OOS applicant?

does anyone have any information on if the U gives any weight to alumni? especially as an OOS applicant?

They do not! You get a score that’s made up of 1/3 grades, 1/3 experiences, 1/3 interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do not! You get a score that’s made up of 1/3 grades, 1/3 experiences, 1/3 interview.
okay cool sounds good. i was reading through their application packet and was reading what you just said. it said on their website that everyone “meeting the minimum requirements will be invited for an interview”. so like let’s say they grade people on a scale of 100, and a score of 65 grants an interview, does that mean everyone with a composite of 65 will be granted and interview even if the class is particularly competitive?

okay cool sounds good. i was reading through their application packet and was reading what you just said. it said on their website that everyone “meeting the minimum requirements will be invited for an interview”. so like let’s say they grade people on a scale of 100, and a score of 65 grants an interview, does that mean everyone with a composite of 65 will be granted and interview even if the class is particularly competitive?
Good question I’m wondering the same thing, whether the cutoff for an interview is set before applications are submitted or if the cutoff is based on averages for all of the applicants. If anyone knows let us know!!

Any idea on when we will hear anything?

Good question I’m wondering the same thing, whether the cutoff for an interview is set before applications are submitted or if the cutoff is based on averages for all of the applicants. If anyone knows let us know!!
I believe what they mean by minimum requirements is their true minimum; if you have all of the required prereqs, the correct number of letters of rec, experience hours (if they have a minimum), etc. They probably score your grades and experiences before the interview, but I don't believe there's a "score cutoff" that isn't good enough because you may blow them away in the interview.
(I may be wrong, but that is how I interpret "meeting minimum requirements")

I believe what they mean by minimum requirements is their true minimum; if you have all of the required prereqs, the correct number of letters of rec, experience hours (if they have a minimum), etc. They probably score your grades and experiences before the interview, but I don't believe there's a "score cutoff" that isn't good enough because you may blow them away in the interview.

Dang, wouldn’t that be a ton of people to interview for OOS? How many interview days do they have?

I don't think this is correct; people who meet the minimum requirements in the sense of HAVING everything get rejected before interviews every year. Ask me how I know ;)

This would be a better question for the admissions office, I think. They'll be able to give you the best information on it!

I don't think this is correct; people who meet the minimum requirements in the sense of HAVING everything get rejected before interviews every year. Ask me how I know ;)

This would be a better question for the admissions office, I think. They'll be able to give you the best information on it!
Yeah I agree they would be the best to ask. I've already sent them two emails though so I don't want to annoy them lol.

Anyway, I have been looking at the "successful applicant" threads for the past like 5 years, and it seems like a lot of people get interviews from Minnesota from all over the academic spectrum, both as IS and OOS. Also, last years OOS waitlist was 62 (on SDN at least), so it seems like they interview a good portion of their candidates (at least over 100). This may be true, or may be me just being overly neurotic at this point lol.

I am not sure if the admissions office would give you this info, but that is my consensus to give myself a piece of mind.

Does anyone remember if UofM wants us to send our fall transcripts? I've tried searching online but can't find anything definitive.

Does anyone remember if UofM wants us to send our fall transcripts? I've tried searching online but can't find anything definitive.
They do not, I called yesterday and asked

Is today the day?

does anyone know if we’ll hear today? (I thought it might be today based on c/o 2023 and 2021)

I’m so anxious to hear! UMN is one of my top choices :love:

So they email interviews and rejections at the same time? Is there an interview waitlist too or no?

So they email interviews and rejections at the same time? Is there an interview waitlist too or no?
I think they all come out at the same time, but I don’t believe there is an interview wait list

Today?! I thought someone said January! Oh yikes!

The email they sent out said early January but who knows

Two years ago when I applied, they said the same thing.. we got our emails December 18th :nailbiting: I’m sure January would be the latest

Two years ago when I applied, they said the same thing.. we got our emails December 18th :nailbiting: I’m sure January would be the latest
Looking through past UMN threads, it seems your year was an anomaly. The other 2 years it was the 28th and the 29th of December. So hopefully next week! :nailbiting:

Both times I applied, we heard the first week of January, so don't get yourselves too frantic if you don't hear before that. It seems like it's been generally moving toward a little earlier, but not drastically so.

holy **** my gf just got an interview!!!!!! yes i’m going to UMN medical school this is a dream come true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOS interview invite!
Will be declining due to being accepted at my #2 school choice. Good luck everyone else!

Reactions: 2 users
OOS interview invite!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
OOS interview invite!!! Ahhhhhh

OOS Interview invite!! I honestly did not expect to get any other invites other than to my IS school but I am thrilled for the opportunity! Congrats everyone else who got invites as well :D

OOS invite, they must be sending them all out today! Good luck everyone!

OOS interview invite! Does anyone know in regards to curriculum how much exposure you’d get to lab animal/exotics?

Congrats to all of you who were offered interviews, and chin up to those who are feeling disappointed. I didn't interview the first time I applied, but it all worked out in the end.

I'm working the first and third interview weekends (panels one week, tours the other) so excited to meet a few of you and show you around! If you have any questions about good places to eat/get coffee/etc. in the area, hit me up :)

Reactions: 6 users
OOS interview invite!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

OOS interview invite!

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear about what date we get? I have an interview the first and will already be out of town the second :nailbiting:

IS interview invite! Good luck everyone!

OOS interview invite!!!! This is unreal!!!!