University of Minnesota c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackCatsRuleTheWorld

UMN c/o 2026!!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this year's thread off! 1st time OOS applicant. Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
First time OOS applicant to UMN! Good luck everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
If y'all have any questions, there are a handful of current UMN students on here who post pretty regularly and are happy to help! I'm one of them, 6th year in the dual DVM/PhD program, currently at the tail end of my PhD before hopefully joining the c/o 2024 for clinics.

Edit: forgot what year I am. Getting old is rough.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I’m a current first year! I was an OOS applicant. If you guys have any questions about UMN or applications, please feel free to ask! I absolutely love the school so far and wish you all the best of luck this year!!

1st time OOS as well - UMN is my second choice, right behind my in-state (tuition:oops:)!

Reactions: 1 user
Chopped liver over here

Though I'm c/o 2017 alumni (and lab animal elective and rotation faculty muahaha) so maybe a bit dated information
KC pls I was just tagging current students bc lately I’ve noticed that even my info is out of date bc they keep changing curriculum, I wasn’t trying to exclude you or LIS ❤️

KC pls I was just tagging current students bc lately I’ve noticed that even my info is out of date bc they keep changing curriculum, I wasn’t trying to exclude you or LIS ❤️
That's totally fair. In my head I was just a student there like yesterday but somehow it's been 4+ years...

• Care
Hi! Non-traditional, first time OOS applicant here!

Fingers crossed! Michigan State and Minnesota are by top choices.

Does anyone know or think that participating in the webinars increases your chances of being invited for an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know or think that participating in the webinars increases your chances of being invited for an interview?
It makes no difference in how you're evaluated as an applicant. IMO, though, it gives YOU a chance to evaluate the school and whether it's a good fit for you.

It makes no difference in how you're evaluated as an applicant. IMO, though, it gives YOU a chance to evaluate the school and whether it's a good fit for you.
Thanks! I really enjoy their webinars. Their website mentions that you accumulate a score that determines your eligibility for an interview invite. Do you or does anyone know how their scoring works, and what their cutoff tends to be?

Thanks! I really enjoy their webinars. Their website mentions that you accumulate a score that determines your eligibility for an interview invite. Do you or does anyone know how their scoring works, and what their cutoff tends to be?

They break things down 1/3 academic,
1/3 non-academic, 1/3 interview. Within the academic category, it’s split 1/3 pre-req GPA, 1/3 last 45 GPA, and 1/3 overall GPA. They’re pretty transparent on their website! How Applicants are Evaluated

1/3 non-academic, 1/3 interview. Within the academic category, it’s split 1/3 pre-req GPA, 1/3 last 45 GPA, and 1/3 overall GPA. They’re pretty transparent on their website! How Applicants are Evaluated
It always throws me when I'm randomly browsing the vet school website and they have pictures of my former classmates posted (like on the page you linked). Fun stuff.

It always throws me when I'm randomly browsing the vet school website and they have pictures of my former classmates posted (like on the page you linked). Fun stuff.
I used to be photobombing Dr. Bianco in a photo in the admissions booklet, wonder if they still use that pic :thinking:

I wanted to participate in the most recent photoshoot but clinics got in the way. I can't wait for my classmates to haunt the website though

Thanks! I didn't see the info regarding thirds, that's really cool that everything is evaluated equally. Is there a breakdown of their points system? I'm mostly curious as when I've found them for other school's it is really neat to see how they break it down.

Thanks! I didn't see the info regarding thirds, that's really cool that everything is evaluated equally. Is there a breakdown of their points system? I'm mostly curious as when I've found them for other school's it is really neat to see how they break it down.

They may have a point system of some sort, but if they do it is internal. Generally, they follow the breakdown described on the link Gabby posted, and seem to do so in a holistic and fair method. My classmates are all amazing. Good luck applicants!

Hey everyone! It said on the website that a behavioral interview will be conducted for those who meet the minimum requirements. Does that mean that all students who meet the minimum requirements will be granted an interview?

Hey everyone! It said on the website that a behavioral interview will be conducted for those who meet the minimum requirements. Does that mean that all students who meet the minimum requirements will be granted an interview?
I don't believe so, but I would love to hear from someone with more experience on that.

That was my understanding, that everyone meeting minimum requirements is offered an interview

From their website -- "Applicants not meeting a specific score on the academic measures, as set by the Admissions Committee, are not considered further. Applicants meeting the academic requirements and subjective review criteria, as set by the Admissions Committee, are invited to campus for an interview. Final decisions are based on academic measures, nonacademic measures, and the behavioral interview."

Since they mention "subjective review criteria" it seems like they look at factors in addition to the academic requirements and base their interview invites based on the combination of the two.

Hi all! 2nd time applying but 1st time for MN as OOS student! Excited to hear from this school, but not too soon I hope. Lol

Last edited:
Does anyone know when they typically send interview invites?

Does anyone know when they typically send interview invites?
I received my email invitation to interview on 12/30/2019; it gave me three dates to rank from 1/31/2020-2/15/2020, which I was supposed to send in my preference by 1/3/2020; on 1/9/2020 I received an email with my interview date of 2/15.

I would, however, take all this with a grain of salt, as all pre-covid information about scheduling is likely to be less reliable than it had been previously. I imagine information from the class of 2025 is more applicable.

Good luck!

Last year, I got an interview invitation via email on 12/29/20 with a link to a survey to rank interview dates. The survey was due 1/6/21 and I got my interview slot confirmed on 1/11/21. Interviews took place 1/26/21-2/6/21 and I got my admissions offer on 2/10/21 via phone and email. I’m not a student ambassador or anything, so I can’t really speak to what the schedule is this year, but hopefully that helps!

anyone else getting anxious waiting to hear back? 🤧 i’ve had a few rejections back to back and could really use some good news

anyone else getting anxious waiting to hear back? i’ve had a few rejections back to back and could really use some good news

Same I’m holding out hope for UMN to pick me back up. I saw on their website they only had like 750 applications last cycle, which seems way too low… every other school I applied to had at least 1400. Anyone know why this is and if this year the numbers are similar?

Same I’m holding out hope for UMN to pick me back up. I saw on their website they only had like 750 applications last cycle, which seems way too low… every other school I applied to had at least 1400. Anyone know why this is and if this year the numbers are similar?
Honestly the cold is the only reason I can think of☃️☃️☃️ Would be interesting to hear if the numbers are similar this year!

I can see this happening because of high OOS tuition. Maybe the financial strains of 2020 limited people's options and it was enough to knock back the numbers.
All speculation though, I'm not sure what else would have changed that much

I attended one of their zoom info sessions this year and they said for this cycle they had a record number of applicants...

• Wow
Sorry I’m late to the game. Should we be hearing back this week?

Sorry I’m late to the game. Should we be hearing back this week?
I think there is a possibility 😅 some cycles they have heard back this week, others during the first week of january!

I am thinking it might be tomorrow. It seems like they do it on the last business day before 12/31 every year but that’s just my guess!

I am thinking it might be tomorrow. It seems like they do it on the last business day before 12/31 every year but that’s just my guess!
It's a university holiday here tomorrow (floating holiday), so don't panic if it's not tomorrow.

The last 2 years they sent emails on the 29th. ... 😶

Check your emails. Just received my OOS rejection. Good luck y'all!

Last edited:
  • Care
Interview invite!!! Just screamed at work. Sorry for those who didn’t receive good news :(

• Love
Do we know if we should hear from South Dakota State at the same time?