University of Minnesota c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS Interview Invite!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS rejection. Best of luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oos rejected. 😭 Only 3 schools left on my list now.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
OOS Rejection. Good luck to everyone else who applied

OOS interview invite, so excited!!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
IS invite! Good luck everybody!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
OOS interview invite!!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
IS invite! So happy :) Good luck to everyone.

OOS interview! A little nervous that the interviews are 45-60 minutes - my other ones have been around 30 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS interview! A little nervous that the interviews are 45-60 minutes - my other ones have been around 30 minutes.
Congrats, can u please share your stats and experiences?

OOS interview! First one this cycle! Wishing everyone the best!

Oooof OOS rejection. At least I got into one of my other schools! Congrats those that got an interview!!!

OOS interview invite!! 🤩🤩 so excited, yet so nervous!

Do we know if we should hear from South Dakota State at the same time?
My friend who attends the 2+2 program for SDSU & UMN, said she didn’t hear back from SDSU until about the 3rd week in January 😕 She only applied to the 2+2 program so I’m not sure if it’ll be different for those who applied to both

OOS interview invite. Pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting today. Best of luck to everyone that didn't get an interview invite. Don't give up! Believe in yourself. You are amazing! This is my second time applying to vet schools, but first time applying to University of Minnesota.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats, can u please share your stats and experiences?
Sure! I am currently a senior at Purdue (my IS school) finishing my bachelor's in animal science. This is my first application cycle. Hoping to either go into mixed animal medicine or go for a specialty (currently considering oncology).
GPA: 3.99 (overall), 4.0 (science, last 45)
Animal experience: ~2500 hours, split between volunteering at a shelter, driving draft horses/doing tours, working at a pet hotel, 4-H, and horseback riding.
Research experience: ~500 hours. I completed a veterinary research fellowship and am currently trying to publish my results from that.
Veterinary experience: 730 hours, mostly working as a vet assistant in the oncology department at Purdue's vet school and some shadowing in our ophthalmology department. Mostly small animal, some large animal. I also was able to shadow the vet who saw the draft horses I drove.
Extracurriculars: ~850 hours between membership/leadership for two clubs (ASL and Juggling & Unicycling), volunteering for orchestra (orchestra itself was a class so I've also done that), working as an ambassador for our LGBTQ center (these all accumulated over my 4 years of college), and TAing.
Semester honors and Dean's list for all semesters thus far.
Applied to 5 schools (Purdue, MSU, Minnesota, University of Glasgow, UIUC)

I've known vet school was the plan for years, so I basically planned my later HS years/college years around gaining experience for vet school. I have taken fairly rigorous course loads to show I can handle it and I've tried to make myself well-rounded by joining (and helping lead) various extracurriculars outside of veterinary medicine. Generally, I've been pursuing experiences that I am passionate about and enjoy or am curious about, rather than making myself do something just to make my application better. If anyone has questions about more specific hour breakdowns, I'm more than willing to answer.

Interesting find! That is a big increase considering the overall number of applications increased only 5.5% from last year. If I can do the math that is about a 52% increase for MN specifically. I'll just be thankful it isn't high 1,000s like most schools or CSU where they are hypothesizing they had over 4,000.

hmmm how come there are no interview questions available on SDN for UMN like other schools has?

I got my interview slot! Friday Feb 4 at 11:30 central. Very glad to not have an 8am slot, as that would be 6am where I am on the west coast!

I got my interview slot! Friday Feb 4 at 11:30 central. Very glad to not have an 8am slot, as that would be 6am where I am on the west coast!
Mine is Feb 5 at 10:45 am CST (11:45 for me). It was my second pick of dates and I'm really glad to not have to miss any classes. Good luck on your interview!!!

• Care
Mine is Feb 5 at 10:45 am CST (11:45 for me). It was my second pick of dates and I'm really glad to not have to miss any classes. Good luck on your interview!!!
Same here on the classes. Also kinda glad to be closer to the end of the interview period, as that means less waiting between interview date and admissions decisions. Good luck to you as well!!

I just received acceptance to my in state, so I will be declining my interview. Best of luck, everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just received an interview invite for the SDSU program. Wondering if anyone has any insight on the program/ how many interviews are offered/etc?? Anything is appreciated :)

For anyone interviewing with SDSU for the 2+2, I interviewed this morning. Very relaxed and conversational format. Just be prepared with your experiences and some examples for behavioral questions :)

Hi everyone! I'm OOS and I have an interview with Minnesota on Friday... any pieces of advice? websites to look over questions on? It's finally this week and im starting to panic!

Hi everyone! I'm OOS and I have an interview with Minnesota on Friday... any pieces of advice? websites to look over questions on? It's finally this week and im starting to panic!
Someone posted this earlier in this thread: https://careerhelp.umn.edu/sites/careerhelp.umn.edu/files/2021-05/Behavioral%20Interview%20Handout.pdf
It has good advice for how to think about and structure answers, and a good chunk of example questions. If you want to look for more examples you can google behavioral interview questions and you should get a good variety

So I interview in like 30 minutes and the link is broken for the Zoom (was going to check my audio, etc)? Anyone else have this issue??

people who interviewed today - how did they go?? mine is next saturday, just wondering what to expect!!