University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello Minnesota Acceptancees!! Congratulations!!!! Join the "University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Class of 2013" group up on FACEBOOK!!! Let's make this a GREAT year! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for making the FB group.
I'm 90% sure I will be joining you in the fall... In-state tuition is just too hard to pass up!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
so as of now i'm planning on minnesota - waiting to hear from a school - otherwise, allll golden gophers!

Not sure yet, but I really liked the U and have wanted to go there all along, so hopefully I'll be there with you all in the fall!

Just decided against Penn finally, so it's MN for me!

D1 here, Let me know if you guys have any questions....i should be studying for finals but procrastination is the way to go.
P.S. Congrats on joining the A team. UMN is the way to go.

D1 here, Let me know if you guys have any questions....i should be studying for finals but procrastination is the way to go.
P.S. Congrats on joining the A team. UMN is the way to go.

This is from the Dental Forum - there isn't anything for Minnesota posted.
I'd love to know as much as you can share even if you're just beginning. Thanks.

Can you answer these questions about you dental school?

Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

3) What is the hardest class? Why?

4) What is the easiest class? Why?

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If
not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

10) Is class attendance mandatory?

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

i'm in the same boat... it's a tough decision.
That makes three of us I am struggling with my choice. I seem to be changing my mind on a daily basis and we are quickly running out of time.

I'm sending in my deposit today!
See you in August!

Does anyone know how much of the class is filled up?

From the letter it sounds like they will give us a class list eventually and help with housing if you need it

hey guys i'm looking forward to starting at the U next fall!! for those of you who aren't already U of MN undergrad students (b/c i'm sure you already have these) do any of you know about when we get our student ID's, passwords, and email addresses so then have access to this website they mentioned in the acceptance letter?

hey, i set my email up as a new student. on my acceptance letter, there is a sticker with my UM Student ID. so i went to this website (myu.umn.edu) and then initiated my account. it was easy. i didn't see anything on there specific to the dental school so that's probably a different website, but you are able to set your stuff up.

Hey guys, I'm an undergrad at the U of M right now, so I'll try to help with what I know.. MyU is where all of the course information is updated.. class notes, class websites etc. To check your e-mail or set up your e-mail account, try www.mail.umn.edu.

Hope that helps! :)