1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities...review/insight/pros/cons

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by justskipee, Dec 20, 2005.

1. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

From students or anyone else that knows about the University of MN-TC, can you tell me about the pros and cons (don't say weather, i know you were thinking it). Anyone live in the fraternities? if so, what are those like. I just want to know what the general impression is, and how it compares to private institutions like Duke, BU, Tufts, Brown (incase I get accepted to these schools too). I'm an instate. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. amazace

amazace PA-S

Other Health Professions Student
    I went to UofM-TC for undergrad and loved it. The school is excellent, the city is fun, and the weather's not too bad ;) A couple of my pre-med classes were taught by med school profs and they were very good. The students that I spoke to in the med school seemed to really enjoy it.

4. jojo14

jojo14 living the dream
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I currently attend. I can't really comment how it compares to the other schools cause I didn't apply to those-

Advantages: MS3/4 year. Your schedule is completely flexible, you choose what you want to take where. I know at some other schools this is not the case. You do not have to take all your required rotations in the third year, although I would probably recommend not pushing off too many! I delayed neurology for instance until Jan of my 4th year. I took some electives instead (ortho) in my third year to see if I really liked them. Plus, the U of M is the only med school in the twin cities (read, no other med students from other schools) and there are so many great hospitals that you can rotate through. I would say you can rotate through almost every hospital (depending on the rotation) in the TC if you want. You can also decide to take Step I whenever you want in between 2nd and 3rd year.

That is the main advantage in my mind. And so far, the attendings/residents have been really nice, I'm learning a lot, I'm not working ridiculous hours or doing lots of scut.

The first two years, to me, are not a huge deal in choosing a school. The U generally has great professors, our lectures are online so you don't have to go if you don't want to, and I feel they prepared me well for boards. I think the U of M scores around average. I put in the extra work, as many sdners too, and scored above average without trouble. There are lots of opportunities to do research.

My classmates are great, I was really afraid the psychotic pre meds would somehow get in, but they are gone. Everyone seems happy, and I am happy. A lot of my friends lived in the fraternities the first two years, and seemed to really like it. They are cheap and close to school with parking, plus they have lots of books, internet for all, etc.

Disadvantages: Weather- yeah, ok. You're just going to be studying anyway, at least you're not missing anything. The facilities for the first two years I feel are kind of lacking- the classrooms are from ages ago and there is no space really for med students except for one underground study room. To be fair, they did recently re do the room and I grew to like it. Oh yes, and parking. It sucks. Most people took the bus in or walked it (or just watched lectures online). Oh yeah- and we have one of the highest public tuitions in the country. Heh.

Hope this helps you, feel free to ask more q's or PM me if you want.

5. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me this helpful information.