University of Minnesota - Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morris121

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received the SECONDARY by mail today.

Is it worthwhile doing considering most spots are probably gone?

I'm out of state to boot.

*Does anyone know what month they interview into?

Members don't see this ad.

I just received the SECONDARY by mail today.

Is it worthwhile doing considering most spots are probably gone?

I'm out of state to boot.

*Does anyone know what month they interview into?

If it helps, I am instate and I received and submitted my secondary 2 months ago and I haven't heard a thing.

I hear it's worth it. They interview late into the season, and not that many slots are gone.

Meanwhile, anyone heard anything recently acceptance-wise?

Members don't see this ad :)
Minnesota is notoriously slow and as an out-of-stater you will be fighting an uphill battle from start to finish.

Can you demonstrate a significant connection to the state? If not, your chances for an interview are very slim. Additionally, when it comes to the ranked waitlist, out-of-staters tend to fall lower than their in-state counterparts. A friend who applied last year was told that were it not for her out-of-state residency, she would have been accepted (this is an individual who graduated from an MN undergraduate and also has an MN fiance). As it is, she ended up around number 50 on the waitlist.

Depending on how your application cycle is going, you may want to save the $75. On the other hand, it is an excellent program and very much worth the gamble as they tend to be conservative with handing out acceptances and thus have spots available for even the very last interviewees.

Minnesota is notoriously slow and as an out-of-stater you will be fighting an uphill battle from start to finish.

Can you demonstrate a significant connection to the state? If not, your chances for an interview are very slim. Additionally, when it comes to the ranked waitlist, out-of-staters tend to fall lower than their in-state counterparts. A friend who applied last year was told that were it not for her out-of-state residency, she would have been accepted (this is an individual who graduated from an MN undergraduate and also has an MN fiance). As it is, she ended up around number 50 on the waitlist.

Depending on how your application cycle is going, you may want to save the $75.

I definitely agree with Ersatzious and I have had several friends who were also OOS applicants ending up in the same situation. It doesn't make much sense b/c they were really qualified and would have ended up coming here. On the other hand, I also know a couple of my friends who were in state and rejected one ended up at Michigan and the other at Northwestern. As everyone knows, the whole process is strange. I still have hope but realistically, it seems unlikely. My friends who go there love it.

Thanks everyone.

Does anyone who submitted their secondary recently, have any good news on invites?

My secondary was complete in the middle of October and I haven't heard anything from them....so I'll just keep going to my other interviews I guess and see if they'll ever show me any love...

I had an interview there on 10/17 and was waitlisted on 12/12. And I actually got the impression from their new director of admissions that they want to start shortening up the interview process, interview fewer people, and start accepting less in-state applicants. I'm an in state re-app (waitlisted last year). I have another friend who is an in-state and waitlisted. So I don't know. I think they are starting to stray from the hardcore pro minnesotan mentality.

My advice is if you are out of state, still apply. That being said, apply early. If this is for next year's app process, and you really want to go to U of M, to EDP. I think 16 out of 19 applicants got interviews. That's pretty good odds.