university of missiouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtoor

~~fUtUrE_MD_or_DO~~
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone....i was just wondering how competitive is the cycle for univeristy of missiour-columbia school of medicine?....

Members don't see this ad.

Less than a certain neighbor in St. Louis ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: This Kansas City resident stands corrected.

It's still a rolling admission school so get your apps in ASAP!

I was accepted to University of Missouri (if you are out of state, you gotta write a letter saying how awesome you are or how much of a connection you have to the state of Missouri). If you crunch the numbers, they get about 900 applications, interview 300, and eventually give out about 150 or so acceptances to fill a class of 96. So, if you think about it, if you get an interview, there's about a 50% chance that you'll see an acceptance letter at some point (it's rolling, and rolling off the waitlist may take a while). I guess it really depends on your point of view. I told my dad that I'd get in since there's 50/50 chance after the interview, but he turned it around on me, "don't say that, 'cause then if you don't get in, then you REALLY suck." Yeah, i felt bad after that comment.

Anyway, for the person who made the "st. louis neighbor" comment, and to the OP, you never know what could happen in this process. I got an interview and an eventual waitlist at WashU, an acceptance at Mizzou, but not a peep (no interview) from SLU. I guess I don't love jesuits enough.

good luck OP. Go for it, the app fee is not too bad. and yes, get your application in soon so you can interview early.

I'm sitting in Mizzou's University Hospital right now making cadaver requests, but I've heard the morgue is under renovation, so I guess things may get delayed.

Anyway, yeah, being in-state is obviously the single best thing you can have going for you in regards to the University of Missouri School of Medicine. It is rolling admissions, as has been stated, and I believe the average MCAT is around a 30-31? I actually haven't looked at those numbers in quite a while.

Don't forget that Mizzou has early assurance programs, the Conley and Bryant Scholarships, which take ~20 slots per cycle. They are required to apply via AMCAS, but don't take the MCAT and don't interview. Regular applicants are competeing for the roughly 80 remaining slots.

The average "numbers" are close to 3.75 and 30 if I remember correctly.

Looque said:
I'm sitting in Mizzou's University Hospital right now making cadaver requests, but I've heard the morgue is under renovation, so I guess things may get delayed.

What's not under renovation at Mizzou? LOL. How did you hook up that job, BTW? My attempts to get on with MUHC have been unrequited. I've had good luck getting employment through the medical school, just not through the hospital.

ed2brute said:
What's not under renovation at Mizzou? LOL. How did you hook up that job, BTW? My attempts to get on with MUHC have been unrequited. I've had good luck getting employment through the medical school, just not through the hospital.

I've worked with Dr. B. Sonny Bal (great guy) in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery for the past three summers. I just had a spell of good fortune to get on initially and then proved my worth by actually working, unlike quite a few people that I've encountered.

...you know, actually working other than the occasional SDN post, that is.