University of Mississippi c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olemissbabydoc

Baby Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been dreaming of starting this thread for a very long time...

Congratulations everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

It still hasn't sunk in yet that I'm actually going to be in medical school. I'll still riding that post-acceptance high I guess haha.

I stopped by yesterday to turn in my letter of acceptance and pay my deposit and I really don't think I've stopped smiling since.

It still hasn't sunk in yet that I'm actually going to be in medical school. I'll still riding that post-acceptance high I guess haha.

I stopped by yesterday to turn in my letter of acceptance and pay my deposit and I really don't think I've stopped smiling since.

I sent an email accepting until my papers get there, I'm priority shipping it. :laugh:.

I'm SO excited! It hasn't sunk in for me either. This was my first choice though, and I'm pretty much 99.9% sure that it's where I'm going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mailed my deposit, paperwork, and white coat measurements on Saturday. Got my official snail mail acceptance today. We're supposed to be getting a lot more information after they receive the deposit, so hopefully that'll come soon.

And... a new screen name & avatar to celebrate :)

Mailed my deposit, paperwork, and white coat measurements on Saturday. Got my official snail mail acceptance today. We're supposed to be getting a lot more information after they receive the deposit, so hopefully that'll come soon.

And... a new screen name & avatar to celebrate :)

I like the new name and avatar.

Do you know what all information they will send us after they receive the deposit?

Its kinda boring now that the acceptances have come out. No more waiting to hear back from admissions committee or waiting on MCAT scores to come out. Its actually about the most peaceful time I've had since beginning college.

I'm sure next August will more than make up for all this idle time though haha.

I like the new name and avatar.

Do you know what all information they will send us after they receive the deposit?

Its kinda boring now that the acceptances have come out. No more waiting to hear back from admissions committee or waiting on MCAT scores to come out. Its actually about the most peaceful time I've had since beginning college.

I'm sure next August will more than make up for all this idle time though haha.

Apparently more information about when classes will begin, what to expect, and financial aid stuff. I remember Dr. Case telling me that scholarship offers don't start until January though.

Ditto on the peaceful-ness of the entire situation. It's wonderful.

I'm going up to start looking at apartments tomorrow...

Thinking of the Flowood area.

For those of you who already live in jackson, how long is a lakeland dr commute from flowood to UMMC?

I'm going up to start looking at apartments tomorrow...

Thinking of the Flowood area.

For those of you who already live in jackson, how long is a lakeland dr commute from flowood to UMMC?

I have a few friends who are in nursing school at UMC and they live in the Flowood area. They said that the drive usually isn't that bad but morning traffic can sometimes get hectic and that average commute time is usually around 15 minutes but can get up to 30 minutes if morning traffic is really busy that particular day.

I have a few friends who are in nursing school at UMC and they live in the Flowood area. They said that the drive usually isn't that bad but morning traffic can sometimes get hectic and that average commute time is usually around 15 minutes but can get up to 30 minutes if morning traffic is really busy that particular day.

Oh, that's not bad at all. I was planning on 30-45 min in bad traffic so that's great.

I got preapproved and on the list for an apartment. I'll move in late June or early July at the latest :)

That is exciting! I wish everybody the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, congratulations! You couldn't have picked a better place to study medicine. I'm an M4 at UMC, be happy to answer any questions y'all have.

It's good to know that you've enjoyed your time at UMC. Do you know yet what you're doing/where you're going after this year?

It's good to know that you've enjoyed your time at UMC. Do you know yet what you're doing/where you're going after this year?

I'm doing a transitional year in San Antonio followed by flight surgery with the Air Force for three years. Took an HPSP scholarship out of college and this is the payback. Following that I dunno, had my sights set on neurology but who knows where my interests will lie in 3-4 years?

I'm doing a transitional year in San Antonio followed by flight surgery with the Air Force for three years. Took an HPSP scholarship out of college and this is the payback. Following that I dunno, had my sights set on neurology but who knows where my interests will lie in 3-4 years?

That's cool. Best of luck to you in your journey.

I had a question about class attendance during the first two years. I'm sure that it is required to go to a certain percentage of the classes, but do you think it's an efficient use of time to go to all the classes or not? Are most of the teachers good enough to make it worthwhile? Do teachers take note if you're present every class, and if you're not, will it affect your grade?

That's cool. Best of luck to you in your journey.

I had a question about class attendance during the first two years. I'm sure that it is required to go to a certain percentage of the classes, but do you think it's an efficient use of time to go to all the classes or not? Are most of the teachers good enough to make it worthwhile? Do teachers take note if you're present every class, and if you're not, will it affect your grade?

Unless something has changed for your class, attendance is encouraged but not required for 95% of preclinical lectures. You are required to be present when attendance affects the experience of your classmates, so for example in gross lab or small group sessions. Lecture audio is recorded, notes are transcribed, and powerpoints are posted online. My class for example had a steadily declining attendance rate so that, by the end of second year, it was around 20%. Everyone is different; I found after a semester that it wasn't efficient for me to attend class, but that's not to say it won't be for you.

As far as professors go, it's worth noting that you will have as many professors as classmates. In Physiology for example, Dr. Manning will teach the cardio block, Dr. Hall for Renal, Dr. Lohmeier for endocrine, Dr. Adair for GI, etc. Same for almost every course. Some people try to get noticed, get an LOR and maybe a research position out of the bargain. If your question though is do they rag you about being absent or deduct points, the answer is no. Anyway, many of the professors are great and engaging, others are a total bore just like undergrad.

Hey guys, congratulations! You couldn't have picked a better place to study medicine. I'm an M4 at UMC, be happy to answer any questions y'all have.

Hey Corky,

This is kind of a vague question but is there any advice you can give for all of the incoming M1s about what to expect and things that helped you be successful? Anything that you wish you'd done differently or learned about earlier in your 4 years as a student at UMC?

Also would you recommend finding a place to rent around UMC or purchasing a house? Me and one of my friends will both be UMC next year and are thinking about buying a house together instead of renting for such a long period of time. Any opinions on this?

Thank you for offering to take time to answer our questions and good luck with finishing up your 4th year!

Hey Corky,

This is kind of a vague question but is there any advice you can give for all of the incoming M1s about what to expect and things that helped you be successful? Anything that you wish you'd done differently or learned about earlier in your 4 years as a student at UMC?

Also would you recommend finding a place to rent around UMC or purchasing a house? Me and one of my friends will both be UMC next year and are thinking about buying a house together instead of renting for such a long period of time. Any opinions on this?

Thank you for offering to take time to answer our questions and good luck with finishing up your 4th year!

There's really no one-size-fits-all answer to being successful first year. For me it was organization -- took me some time to organize my life to be successful. I breezed through undergrad at southern never having to study, only cram. You absolutely, and I can't stress this enough, cannot wait until two days before or even the week before an exam to learn the material. It's not that it's overly difficult, but the volume is such that your brain saturates and rebels, refusing to process new information despite your best efforts.

The most successful students first year were those who quickly developed a daily study regimen, learned to manage their time efficiently, and didn't hesitate to make changes when something wasn't working. Again there's no fit-all, for some it's three hours a day, for some it's eight, some prefer groups some solo, at home or in the library, re-writing notes or drawing diagrams, whatever.

And you may get those first set of grades back and feel like crying because you just put in all those hours for a B, three Ds, and a C. Everyone is running around talking about 'that one question' they got wrong or worse blatantly bragging about their top scores. Listen, when you show up first day of M2 year and six or eight folks are missing it's never who you'd have expected, and M3 year when they announce junior AOA it's never who you'd have expected either.

The point is your classmates can be extraordinarily helpful when it comes to having a support network and getting those underground pointers on what Dr. Haines always tests on, but at the same time you should learn to tune them out at times. Worrying about everyone else is at best distracting and at worst the cause of serious psych issues. Narrow your focus to doing the best you can do, the grades and the learning will come as a natural by-product.
If you can get a loan (and BankPlus in particular is helpful to med students and residents here), buying a home in this market makes the best financial sense by far. Prices are low, lots of selection, low rates, likely to make a profit 4+ years from now. At the same time it's a huge undertaking that I wouldn't recommend to just casual friends. If you guys are longtime best friends who've lived together for an extended time before and know one another's living and spending habits then yeah it's something to consider. At the same time apartments like Fondren Hill are always popular for students and residents; they're cheap and spacious and within walking distance of campus.

The ASB has some listings by current students and residents, although selection should really increase after Match.

There's really no one-size-fits-all answer to being successful first year. For me it was organization -- took me some time to organize my life to be successful. I breezed through undergrad at southern never having to study, only cram. You absolutely, and I can't stress this enough, cannot wait until two days before or even the week before an exam to learn the material. It's not that it's overly difficult, but the volume is such that your brain saturates and rebels, refusing to process new information despite your best efforts.

The most successful students first year were those who quickly developed a daily study regimen, learned to manage their time efficiently, and didn't hesitate to make changes when something wasn't working. Again there's no fit-all, for some it's three hours a day, for some it's eight, some prefer groups some solo, at home or in the library, re-writing notes or drawing diagrams, whatever.

And you may get those first set of grades back and feel like crying because you just put in all those hours for a B, three Ds, and a C. Everyone is running around talking about 'that one question' they got wrong or worse blatantly bragging about their top scores. Listen, when you show up first day of M2 year and six or eight folks are missing it's never who you'd have expected, and M3 year when they announce junior AOA it's never who you'd have expected either.

The point is your classmates can be extraordinarily helpful when it comes to having a support network and getting those underground pointers on what Dr. Haines always tests on, but at the same time you should learn to tune them out at times. Worrying about everyone else is at best distracting and at worst the cause of serious psych issues. Narrow your focus to doing the best you can do, the grades and the learning will come as a natural by-product.
If you can get a loan (and BankPlus in particular is helpful to med students and residents here), buying a home in this market makes the best financial sense by far. Prices are low, lots of selection, low rates, likely to make a profit 4+ years from now. At the same time it's a huge undertaking that I wouldn't recommend to just casual friends. If you guys are longtime best friends who've lived together for an extended time before and know one another's living and spending habits then yeah it's something to consider. At the same time apartments like Fondren Hill are always popular for students and residents; they're cheap and spacious and within walking distance of campus.

The ASB has some listings by current students and residents, although selection should really increase after Match.

Thank you so much for all the great advice. I will definitely keep it in mind throughout the first year.

As far as my roommate, we've went to school together since 2nd grade and have roomed either in a dorm room or now a house we rent out ever since graduating high school and even though we have different hobbies and interest, when it comes to a lot of things such as living and spending habits we're very similar so I figure we'll go for the buying a house option.

Also, is Dr. Haines the same one that wrote Fundamental Neuroscience? If he is that is very interesting because that's the text I'm using currently for my Neuroanatomy class and I had no idea that he was a teacher at UMC.

Thank you so much for all the great advice. I will definitely keep it in mind throughout the first year.

As far as my roommate, we've went to school together since 2nd grade and have roomed either in a dorm room or now a house we rent out ever since graduating high school and even though we have different hobbies and interest, when it comes to a lot of things such as living and spending habits we're very similar so I figure we'll go for the buying a house option.

Also, is Dr. Haines the same one that wrote Fundamental Neuroscience? If he is that is very interesting because that's the text I'm using currently for my Neuroanatomy class and I had no idea that he was a teacher at UMC.

The very same, he's the chairman of the anatomy department. That atlas is the gold standard worldwide and is what you'll use next year along with his textbook (actually the textbook kinda sucks). Awesome that you'll already be familiar with it, neuro and biochem are the toughest M1 courses IMO.

Corky, what an insight! Thanks for joining us here on our board!

I'm looking forward to getting started. A tiny bit nervous, more so about getting acclimated to a new area than the actual coursework (sad, eh?) but as soon as I get there in July I know I'll be ready.

Did they do the M1-M2 buddy list when you came in/ did you find it helpful?

Oh, and about the parking.... I hear that is one of the biggest nightmares. What time do you suggest we're in the Stadium lot if we want a spot there for 8 am classes?

I have so many questions.... but I think this is enough for now. Thanks again for your help!

I've got a general question to anybody who might have some information. Do any of you know anything about the Fondren Hill apartments? Apparently they're packed full of med students (so it would be quiet), and they are right next to UMC.

Babydoc, I'm sure Corky can answer this question better than I can, but I have been in Jackson for over 4 years, and have been to UMC on countless occasions. The stadium parking isn't that bad. The walk is the most annoying part, especially in the heat. You can always find a spot, but it may be in the far corner of the lot. I would plan to arrive at the stadium no later than 7:40 if I were you. Ten or so minutes for the walk, and a few minutes to get situated in class.

Babydoc, I'm sure Corky can answer this question better than I can, but I have been in Jackson for over 4 years, and have been to UMC on countless occasions. The stadium parking isn't that bad. The walk is the most annoying part, especially in the heat. You can always find a spot, but it may be in the far corner of the lot. I would plan to arrive at the stadium no later than 7:40 if I were you. Ten or so minutes for the walk, and a few minutes to get situated in class.

Oh that's totally not that bad. I was planning on needing to be there at like 7:10ish. Mrs Virginia in Student Affairs acted like it was so hard 2 get a spot before the shuttle came. I had already thought of walking some, especially in the mornings, to get some exercise. It doesn't seem like it's that far and walking is probably easier. I am a pretty bad asthmatic, so there'll be times I need to ride I'm sure. Any idea on times for catching that? Is my above estimate probably right?

(Wow.. I'm now imagining thirty extra minutes of sleep... haha)

Well, I've actually never ridden the shuttle, so I really have no idea how often it comes. But I have heard that it takes FOREVER because it makes a huge loop of the medical center, and the medical school is one of the later stops. But if you want to wake up earlier and spend the time on the shuttle studying, I guess that's an option, haha.

Well, I've actually never ridden the shuttle, so I really have no idea how often it comes. But I have heard that it takes FOREVER because it makes a huge loop of the medical center, and the medical school is one of the later stops. But if you want to wake up earlier and spend the time on the shuttle studying, I guess that's an option, haha.

Eh, sleep's probably a pretty hot commodity in med school. I think I'll learn to enjoy walking when I'm pressed for time. :thumbup:

Did they do the M1-M2 buddy list when you came in/ did you find it helpful?

Oh, and about the parking.... I hear that is one of the biggest nightmares. What time do you suggest we're in the Stadium lot if we want a spot there for 8 am classes?

My buddy was fairly helpful, provided some books and pointers from time to time. We hung out at the bars a couple of times, but that's about it. The girl I was buddy to actually had some kind of breakdown after failing Step 1; she's dropped completely out of sight (took with her about $600 worth of my textbooks), not sure if she's coming back or what. So I guess you could say I've had mixed results with the buddy thing.

Parking is impossible between 9-12, but anytime before that you should be able to find a spot somewhere in the main lot. After lunch you've got folks leaving, just gotta troll the lot a little. It is a bit of a pain, especially in July/January, but not really worse than Southern or State or Ole Miss. Not sure exactly on the shuttle schedule, but it runs something like every 5 minutes during peak hours am and pm, there's like six stops in the lot. First stop is main hospital/med school, it's just when you're leaving that you have to motor through the entire campus. Most people only use it when it's raining.

Anyway, arriving in the parking lot at quarter til whatever should give you plenty of time to park, walk, and get settled in before lecture. There's also three pay lots scattered around campus, which I think we're technically not supposed to park in but I've never been hassled.

Fondren Hill is a nice option, I've got several friends living there. It's not as nice as the website makes it out to be, but it is decent, spacious, gated, and literally just as far from your lecture auditorium as stadium parking.

Congrats to everyone that's been accepted. I'm also starting in the fall and I'm interested in a place called vieux carre it's right outside of fondren. If anyone has anything to say about it I'd really appreciate it. I'm not from jackson so I'll take any advice about the area that you might have to give.

Hey guys... I am an Emergency Medicine resident here at UMC, went to medical school at Texas Tech back in Lubbock , TX.

You've made a great choice for medical school. I have always found most of the UMC students that come through our department to be very well prepared. I think UMC and my medical school have much in common... neither are overly 'big named' but I think both put out top tier students with much more actual 'hands on' experience than some of those 'big schools'.

As far as where to live, I think all the places you have mentioned are fine. Fondren is very close to the medical center, but its also very close to ghetto parts of Jackson. I do know of some people in the Fondren area that have had breakins... I am not as familiar of the apartments in this area, but if you go apt, I would tend towards something gated.

I personally think some place like Flowood, Ridgeland, Madison, Brandon is a 'better' choice. Sure, you will be MAYBE 15 mins away at the most in the heavy traffic, but its nice not being right at the medical area all the time. Plus, all the heavy shopping you will want to do will be in these areas. There are areas not far from Fondren that I would not go at night...

I live south of town in the country and it takes me at most 20-25 mins to get to work. Regardless of where you live around the area, commute times are nothing. Most of the 'safe and happening' part of town is to the North and to the East. Most of Jackson proper is 'ghetto', West of town is getting that way, south of town tends to be more 'redneck'.

Hey everyone. I just found this thread on here. I'm a second year medical student here at UMC and would also be happy to answer any questions you have.

This is great that more people are starting to discover this thread! We just need to keep posting so it remains near the top of the page. Thanks to all the current students who have given valuable advice to us entering this year.

Does anybody have any idea when they will give us the buddy list and the book list for the fall?

The buddy list usually doesn't come out until May/June. UMC has to wait to make it because some students will not choose to come here, and some applicants on the waiting list will then be accepted. This makes it difficult to make the list before May 15th. You will get the book list during orientation. It lasts for 4 days and its a week filled with lots of information to absorb!

Thanks for the quick response. That makes sense that the buddy list doesn't come out until then, but it surprises me that they wouldn't let us know about the books sooner. I guess they want us buying everything from their bookstore. :)

Thanks for the quick response. That makes sense that the buddy list doesn't come out until then, but it surprises me that they wouldn't let us know about the books sooner. I guess they want us buying everything from their bookstore. :)

They do want you to buy stuff from the bookstore, but I would do one of four things:
1) get everything used off Amazon
2) Get with Mrs. Virginia and have her keep an ear to the ground for M2s and others selling books.
3) Borrow everything from your buddy.
4) Sign up for a Barnes & Noble membership; usually you get an introductory discount + free shipping, so pay $10 for the membership and get a 20% discount on your first order. $500 worth of books = $90 savings from what's already cheaper than the bookstore.

Either way, there's absolutely no reason to buy everything they recommend. I'm far removed from M1 year so this list may no longer be accurate, but my must-have books were Guyton Physiology text, Moore and Roy Anatomy text, BRS biochem, Fix High Yield Neuroanatomy, Haines Neuroanatomy atlas, Rohen and/or Netter's anatomy atlas, High Yield Embryology, and maybe Wheater's Histo text/atlas. You'll want a couple of pretest/brs question books for board prep too, but everything else will likely hit the shelf to gather dust and look pretty when family comes over.

Agree with the above about where to live. It's strange but in Fondren/Belhaven you can have a $300K house located three blocks from the ghetto, it's a very fine line. If you're going to live anywhere in the city limits either go gated or budget for a home with a security system. Madison, most of Ridgeland, and most of Flowood doesn't have that problem, but you pay a little more in rent and have a slightly longer commute. BTW, I found a 'describe your school' thread in pre-allo and added some info about UMC, may be of some interest to you guys. Later

That's very helpful, Corky, thanks. Yeah, I learned after one semester of college to never buy anything from the bookstore. Even if you do want new books (which I'm sure some people do) you can get them significantly cheaper online. I'll probably end up getting my own rather than borrowing from my buddy, because I tend to destroy books, even if I only look at them once. I've always been the underlining/highlighting type of person.

How good are the professors at UMC at covering a large portion of the material in class? I'm assuming that going over class notes will not suffice to do well on the tests, but how much do they say, "know everything in the book and you'll be fine?" I had some professors in college like that, and it was annoying, and it would be a lot worse in med school because of the speed at which you're going over material.

I've secured an apartment in Flowood. I am thrilled with the area - safe, secure, and close to everything. The commute will take a bit of getting used to, but I live 30-40 minutes from work now so I'm used to a commute.

Mrs. Virginia is wonderful. I went up and met her recently :)

How about health insurance and such? Do we get any more information pre-orientation, or does all that occur that first week?

And for those of you farther along: I've heard procedures/experience is amazing 3rd and 4th year... how about opportunities first and second year? I'm sure we'll be quite busy, but are the opportunities available if we want clinical experience outside of class the first two years?

How good are the professors at UMC at covering a large portion of the material in class? I'm assuming that going over class notes will not suffice to do well on the tests, but how much do they say, "know everything in the book and you'll be fine?"

Just my opinion, but for most subjects everything you need to know to do well is covered in some manner by a professor. This isn't to say it's easy, that you can sit back in lecture and osmose information, but it's all there and in fact we have a student liason committee which among other things has the job of challenging questions that weren't covered in lecture.

At the same time it's difficult to ace a course without pulling in outside information because the presentation of an absolutely must-know concept is often emphasized at the same level as something trivial. Part of this due to the volume and the finite time in which to cover it all. Part of it is your lecturers are mainly PhDs, experts to be sure but lacking clinical experience and at times hung up in thinking their particular research on some obscure protein is overly important. And so to some degree you have to learn on your own, in your own way, placing things in a memorable and appropriate context.

How about health insurance and such? Do we get any more information pre-orientation, or does all that occur that first week?

Been a long time, but I think you'll get some kind of form in the mail saying health insurance is a requirement. It gives you the choice of signing up for the UMC plan (BCBS) or listing your own insurance information. Like I said you have to do one or the other, but I know from experience you can get away with just listing some garbage and going without insurance. The cost of insurance is like $600 for single student medical (there is a family and dental/vision option as well I think), and it's budgeted into the financial aid equation.

I'm sure we'll be quite busy, but are the opportunities available if we want clinical experience outside of class the first two years?

Dr. Woodward (Dean of Academic Affairs and ER physician) and others encourage you to come down anytime to their clinic/OR/ER. The Jackson Free Clinic is a student-run charity clinic open almost every Saturday during the school year. It provides a limited amount of procedural experience -- drawing blood, fundoscopy, etc. -- and is a great place to get your feet wet clinically. I believe you'll get more information on this as well later this spring, but if anyone's interested I'll PM you the contact info.

Thanks, Corky!
I definitely want to sign up for the health insurance (my plan sucks, and I'm looking forward to BCBS). And thanks for the info about the clinical stuff. Sounds great!

I turned in an application to the Fondren Hill apartments. There's a 4-person waiting list, but they think there will be a good number of openings once the semester is over. I hope I get in there! I want to walk to class. :D

Congrats!! :D

I'm an M2 at UMC and would be happy to answer any questions too.

olemissbabydoc: You'll love the Flowood area. I've lived in Flowood since 2006 and I love it. It really is not that far of a drive. I leave about 7:15 every morning (If you wait till 7:25 it's a big difference in traffic congestion) and I get a decent parking space, walk across the street and I can be in my seat with my computer on and settled by the time the professor walks in at 8:00. I really think 20% of my class lives over here and the area is amazing. I don't get to walk to class but I feel very safe. Also there are several of us that use the Flowood public library to study at sometimes. It's very nice and doesn't get as crowded as the school one right before tests.

To answer your procedure question... there are no opportunities built into the curriculum for it the first two years. You will be mostly in the books first year and second year you will have patient contact but it will be more learning how to do a history/physical correctly. However, there are summer opportunities. There were several of my classmates, including myself, that did clinical research at the hospital the summer between first and second year. Along with that came lots of patient experience. I know from talking to people that they did tons of prodecures (endoscopy, heart cath assistance, bone marrow aspiration, lumbar puncture, etc). It will just depend on how you want to spend your last summer ever and what positions you apply for. They will advertise these positions throughout your first year so you will be able to see if you are interested. And some are paid positions!!:)

Thanks so much! I'm glad to hear of some other students that live in flowood, and that definitely eases my mind about the traffic situation- that's not bad at all! I actually leave my house about 715 now to get to work for 8, so that not any different than what I'm used to.

Are the books Corky listed earlier stll your go-to picks for first year? I've heard a lot about First Aid and BRS.

I got a scholarship offer in the mail Thursday with the possibility of a better offer when the tax stuff gets in :love: . I'm getting it all done next weekend so that I can submit fafsa and be done with it. Time to get ready to take out the loans :eek:.

Yeah, it needed the bump :) You didn't miss too much at the Financial Aid seminar, except for a ton of door prizes. I walked away with two 10-dollar gift certificates to McAlister's and a 20-dollar gift certificate to the student union bookstore. One girl won 250 dollars cash.

Yeah, it needed the bump :) You didn't miss too much at the Financial Aid seminar, except for a ton of door prizes. I walked away with two 10-dollar gift certificates to McAlister's and a 20-dollar gift certificate to the student union bookstore. One girl won 250 dollars cash.

Niiiice. I'm finishing tax stuff this weekend, so I should have everything done Fin-Aid wise by Monday. I'm ready to be finished with it! :thumbup: