University of Mississippi c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my fin aid stuff finished today... yay! time to relax a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much! I'm glad to hear of some other students that live in flowood, and that definitely eases my mind about the traffic situation- that's not bad at all! I actually leave my house about 715 now to get to work for 8, so that not any different than what I'm used to.

Are the books Corky listed earlier stll your go-to picks for first year? I've heard a lot about First Aid and BRS.

I got a scholarship offer in the mail Thursday with the possibility of a better offer when the tax stuff gets in :love: . I'm getting it all done next weekend so that I can submit fafsa and be done with it. Time to get ready to take out the loans :eek:.

You definitely need First Aid...it's just good to go ahead and get it early. I agree with him that you don't need every book. Half of mine are collecting dust right now.

A few must haves in my opinion:
1. Guyton Physiology - Dr. Guyton who wrote it was from UMC and the book is that department's bible...a must have
2. Moore's Rapid Review Gross Anatomy book... again chair of the department wrote it... multiple test questions come from it
3. Lippincotts Biochem book...it's easy to understand and not too big
4. Haines Neuroanatomy atlas and book...again the chair wrote it...the atlas is great (test pictures are straight from it) and the book is just ok
5. Rohen's gross atlas...it's acutal photographs and I really liked it even though your body will never look that good.

I never opened a book for histology except for the electron microscope book for it's pictures that they use on the tests. Most of their material comes from class powerpoints. Gross anatomy dissector guide and books changed this last year. I used Netter's my year but you'll need to ask your buddy how they liked the new one. Embryology was taught as a self-study module this past year for the first time so you have to ask that class about the book. Most BRS books are good and used more for boards than actual class tests unless it has good diagrams and charts. However, some people follow along with them all through the class. I personally never had enough time to use them but for boards (except the Gross Anatomy one... everyone used that one ALOT)

PBear - I see Peds Doc in your side info there... In reference to the clinical opportunities, were you able to go down to the Peds ER/clinics if you wanted to the first couple years (Corky mentioned the ER/Clinics and I assumed it was the adult units being talked about, but i'd much prefer Children's :))

Thanks again for coming in to our forum and answering our questions :):)

Members don't see this ad :)
There really is an open door policy. As long as you have that short white coat on they'll let you come hang out anytime in the Peds ER/Clinics. To be honest... there is not much time for it 1st year. The class load is huge and free time is hard to come by. The summer between first and second year I did research with the Peds department and was paid to be there for two months. Second year we are assigned a preceptor around October. I preferenced a Peds preceptor. We meet a few times a month and get experience in clinic/ER with taking history and physicals. He also takes us around to see interesting patients in the hospital too. So if your interest is in Peds there are many opportunities to get your feet wet in the first two years. I'll put a shameless plug in here too.:D We have a pediatric interest group that meets once a month. Different docs from the department come and talk about their specialty and the chairman drops in to see us too sometimes. We also have residents that come and explain what it's like. It's a nice way to meet everyone and learn more about it while eating a free lunch.

FYI... most specialties have interest groups that meet regularly...Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Pathology, OBGYN, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Ophthamalogy, and Dermatology are the few I can think of at the moment.

There really is an open door policy. As long as you have that short white coat on they'll let you come hang out anytime in the Peds ER/Clinics. To be honest... there is not much time for it 1st year. The class load is huge and free time is hard to come by. The summer between first and second year I did research with the Peds department and was paid to be there for two months. Second year we are assigned a preceptor around October. I preferenced a Peds preceptor. We meet a few times a month and get experience in clinic/ER with taking history and physicals. He also takes us around to see interesting patients in the hospital too. So if your interest is in Peds there are many opportunities to get your feet wet in the first two years. I'll put a shameless plug in here too.:D We have a pediatric interest group that meets once a month. Different docs from the department come and talk about their specialty and the chairman drops in to see us too sometimes. We also have residents that come and explain what it's like. It's a nice way to meet everyone and learn more about it while eating a free lunch.

FYI... most specialties have interest groups that meet regularly...Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Pathology, OBGYN, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Ophthamalogy, and Dermatology are the few I can think of at the moment.

Yes, I definitely want to be in the PIG ;) Thanks so much for the info! :thumbup:

I'm ready to get started already! I definitely am having an enjoyable year off from school, but can't wait to get going. Five and a half months to go.

I'm ready to get started already! I definitely am having an enjoyable year off from school, but can't wait to get going. Five and a half months to go.

I agree. I'm working full time (in a completely nonrelated field) but the days are passing slowly.

I'm thinking about picking up a few weekends in the NICU again or a weekend of L&D (I took call with the OBGYN Ive shadowed in the past).. I need some patient contact!! :laugh:

Last edited:
The day I'm looking forward to is June 1, which is when I start my summer lab rotations in the physiology department. I'm sure that'll be busy for me, and I won't have time to count the days until med school starts. Way too much free time on my hands now...

The day I'm looking forward to is June 1, which is when I start my summer lab rotations in the physiology department. I'm sure that'll be busy for me, and I won't have time to count the days until med school starts. Way too much free time on my hands now...

Oh, that'll be fun! Starting some research before first year, or just assisting in the labs?

May 29th is my last day of work and then I'll be even MORE antsy probably... although I'm looking forward to sleeping in a bit and then moving early and getting to know my way around the area.

The summer research is required since I'm in the MD/PhD program. I've decided to go with physiology for the PhD, and I have to do eight 1-week rotations in the labs of various researchers.

Are you working at all in the summer, or just relaxing completely?

The summer research is required since I'm in the MD/PhD program. I've decided to go with physiology for the PhD, and I have to do eight 1-week rotations in the labs of various researchers.

Are you working at all in the summer, or just relaxing completely?

My last day of work is May 29th. I'll be relaxing in Hattiesburg for a month, then moving up there and getting my sea legs. :thumbup: - I've been working full time for quite a while, and doing the school thing even longer - I don't think I've taken a summer break since high school. So this'll be a nice break.

Physiology will be a great PhD field, especially since there's so much progress in that area from UMC. I might nickname you "Guyton" ;)LOL

Everyone get their "accepted forms" returned to Heather in registrar?
I kept the shot/physical stuff since we have to wait til May for the TB test... but the registration/scheduling forms are returned.

It's getting closer! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got those forms sent in a while back. OMBD, do you know anything about the entrance interviews we're supposed to do with Wells Fargo or Nellie Mae? What are those about?

Got those forms sent in a while back. OMBD, do you know anything about the entrance interviews we're supposed to do with Wells Fargo or Nellie Mae? What are those about?

Yep, I called the fin aid office and they said just go through their website:

financialaid.umc.edu (or the one msustephen posted, it all goes the same place)

I've never done loans before, so this whole process is new and I've been annoying the heck out of financial aid I'm sure.. :laugh:

Thanks, you guys! I appreciate the help.

I have a quick, random question about the student union building. Is there a gym that is accessible by students and if so is there any type of membership fee? It was mentioned in passing during the campus tour on the day I interviewed but we weren’t given any details or specifics. Has anyone who has posted on this thread used it any and if so what are your impressions of it?

I have a quick, random question about the student union building. Is there a gym that is accessible by students and if so is there any type of membership fee? It was mentioned in passing during the campus tour on the day I interviewed but we weren’t given any details or specifics. Has anyone who has posted on this thread used it any and if so what are your impressions of it?

I think it's free, you just have to have your student ID.

Hopefully someone who is already at UMC can enlighten us :)

Free access to the gym for anybody with a badge (my wife has gone 10x more than I have). They also have stuff like yoga and spin classes there; I think these are free as well but am not 100%.

Also, just wanted to post this for anyone looking to buy a house. It's details on the stimulus package as it relates to first-time homebuyers. Note that it's a credit not a deduction, meaning the government will essentially give you $8000 if you purchase a home in 2009.

Free access to the gym for anybody with a badge (my wife has gone 10x more than I have). They also have stuff like yoga and spin classes there; I think these are free as well but am not 100%.

Also, just wanted to post this for anyone looking to buy a house. It's details on the stimulus package as it relates to first-time homebuyers. Note that it's a credit not a deduction, meaning the government will essentially give you $8000 if you purchase a home in 2009.

Thanks for the info Corky. That's how I thought it worked but I just wanted to be sure.

Also to add to your advice about purchasing a home, it seems that this is a great time to be looking for a house. I am closing on a house I purchased off of Old Fannin road close to the reservoir and couldn't be happier with the way things have unfolded. I'd also recommend to look into getting a FHA first time home buyer mortgage. This allows you to put only 3.5% down and helps lock in a low interest rate as well. I went with BankPlus and have been extremely satisfied with how helpful they've been and I highly recommend their services. With the way the housing and financial market is right now I was able to get the house for a little over $20,000 less than its appraisal value and will have a 15 year fixed mortgage locked in at 5%.

Thanks for the info Corky. That's how I thought it worked but I just wanted to be sure.

Also to add to your advice about purchasing a home, it seems that this is a great time to be looking for a house. I am closing on a house I purchased off of Old Fannin road close to the reservoir and couldn't be happier with the way things have unfolded. I'd also recommend to look into getting a FHA first time home buyer mortgage. This allows you to put only 3.5% down and helps lock in a low interest rate as well. I went with BankPlus and have been extremely satisfied with how helpful they've been and I highly recommend their services. With the way the housing and financial market is right now I was able to get the house for a little over $20,000 less than its appraisal value and will have a 15 year fixed mortgage locked in at 5%.

Congratulations :)

I'm going to try to buy between first and second year, after I've rented long enough and been in the Jackson metro area long enough to learn what area I want to be in.

Sounds like fun! :thumbup:

Ordered my computer late last week and it is in production :soexcited:.

Last edited:
That's awesome! I liked him. He was going into Neurology, right?

Yep. I was very excited for him. I'll let ya know Thursday where he's ending up.

Good for Curtis. I think he wanted to go to Vandy or maybe stay here. I believe every UMC residency program filled with the exception of the Tupelo extension of family medicine.

We had a handful who needed to scramble this year, about average for UMC. They've cleaned up that process quite a bit compared to previous years; now more stuff goes through ERAS (residency version of AMCAS), versus before it was all phone calls and faxes. Still a nightmare for those involved. Picture having your heart set on something and working your ass off so many years to make it happen, doing away rotations, going the extra mile for a LOR, spending two grand applying and interviewing. Then you come up a little short and are forced to get in where you fit in, perhaps in an entirely different specialty in a program sight unseen.

It's very ego-dystonic; all our lives we've been the bright kid in the class, and it's such an unfamiliar experience feeling to be made somehow less-than. I've always found it helpful to keep a big-picture view and keep in mind that 99% of the folks who start M1 orientation land on their feet eventually, even though most will hit a bump in the road at some point. Failing a class, failing a step, matching to other than a first-choice, getting dinged somehow during residency, whatever. Just something to think about next year when you feel like you're the only one struggling to pull a pass in Gross or feel like the biochem prof is speaking Klingon.

Corky, if you don't mind, how many is a handful? What's the average number that have needed to scramble over the past few years?

Corky, if you don't mind, how many is a handful? What's the average number that have needed to scramble over the past few years?

4 this year; I know at least three secured positions yesterday. Just from word of mouth 3-4 seems about the average, although that's likely to grow with class size. To the school's credit UMC in general takes care of its own, so with most specialties you're pretty much guaranteed a spot here if you want to stay. With things like orthopedics or ENT for example that are either very selective and/or have more UMC seniors applying than spots, or specialties which we don't train like radiation oncology, well it just doesn't always work out. Even then it's not unheard of to 'create' a paid (and loan-deferable) research position or prelim position that allows that person to strengthen their app and reapply.

Oh, that's not bad at all. It seems like I had heard a significantly higher number from somewhere, and that number was slightly disconcerting to me.

Do you have any idea how out-of-state residency programs view UMC grads? I know that a good number of folks stay in state, and I'm sure a good number of these do so by choice. But if a student were to do reasonably well in classes, clinical rotations, and on boards, would he/she have any trouble getting into a good residency program somewhere out of state? I ask this because UMC doesn't have residency programs for a few of the specialties I'm considering.

Oh, that's not bad at all. It seems like I had heard a significantly higher number from somewhere, and that number was slightly disconcerting to me.

A friend of mine had to scramble yesterday, so what I know about it is courtesy of him. It was he and three others meeting with Dr. Woodward and working out of the same place, however I guess that isn't to say there wasn't another 'group' set up at some other location under the direction of another associate dean. I'm kind of out of the loop right now with the month off and having already matched.

Do you have any idea how out-of-state residency programs view UMC grads? I know that a good number of folks stay in state, and I'm sure a good number of these do so by choice. But if a student were to do reasonably well in classes, clinical rotations, and on boards, would he/she have any trouble getting into a good residency program somewhere out of state? I ask this because UMC doesn't have residency programs for a few of the specialties I'm considering.

If our previous years' match lists aren't available online somewhere I'm confident Dr. Case's office could provide them to you without a problem. Last year I remember it seemed like we had a really competitive class overall, maybe a fifth of the class went either rads/urology/ortho. My feeling is at this level you're either competitive or you're not, you don't really get points for or against you based on your school of origin. Programs have so many other and better criteria on which to judge you that 'rep' isn't really a factor. I honestly couldn't tell you for sure though, and you may want to PM aProgDirector or pose this question in the General Residency subforum so someone a little further along than me can give you better info.

I appreciate the info, Corky. Yeah, I was asking more out of curiosity that anything. It just seems like there is a huge disparity in the match lists from school to school. At some schools, everyone seems to match at an academic institution that has a top 20 med school associated with it, and at other schools, few go to "prestigious" residencies. I guess prestige is relative though, and those people at the top schools are probably much more concerned about getting a spot at a big name hospital, regardless of the quality of the training they receive.

I appreciate the info, Corky. Yeah, I was asking more out of curiosity that anything. It just seems like there is a huge disparity in the match lists from school to school. At some schools, everyone seems to match at an academic institution that has a top 20 med school associated with it, and at other schools, few go to "prestigious" residencies. I guess prestige is relative though, and those people at the top schools are probably much more concerned about getting a spot at a big name hospital, regardless of the quality of the training they receive.

A classmate of mine is doing family med. He's like the fifth person in his family to do so, and all he wants to do is go back home to rural MS and take over the family business. I have another friend who's now an intern who was all about competitive specialty X. But then his father died during Katrina, he got married and got a job offer back home. Changed his perspective a bit. It's difficult but important to keep in mind when evaluating match lists that these types of stories are more common at state schools than uber-competitive private schools; it's one of the reasons many of us chose UMC over other schools in the first place. We had a girl match to Johns Hopkins urology last year, but it was because she's extremely bright and dedicated and wants to go that route. That's why I say it's up to you, that being from UMC won't really help or hinder you in the minds of other program directors if you want to pursue integrated plastics or radonc or whatever.

BTW there are community programs and community programs you know; some private hospitals are extremely cush and have top-notch faculty and training. These places may sometimes actually give better basic specialty training because the resident is given more autonomy, but the trade-off is there's less opportunity for research and fellowship placement (again it all depends on what you want). But then again some are IMG-filled malignancies with terrible board passage rates that continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel simply because the Medicare system makes residency training a very profitable gig.

Last edited:
A classmate of mine is doing family med. He's like the fifth person in his family to do so, and all he wants to do is go back home to rural MS and take over the family business. I have another friend who's now an intern who was all about competitive specialty X. But then his father died during Katrina, he got married and got a job offer back home. Changed his perspective a bit. It's difficult but important to keep in mind when evaluating match lists that these types of stories are more common at state schools than uber-competitive private schools; it's one of the reasons many of us chose UMC over other schools in the first place. We had a girl match to Johns Hopkins urology last year, but it was because she's extremely bright and dedicated and wants to go that route. That's why I say it's up to you, that being from UMC won't really help or hinder you in the minds of other program directors if you want to pursue integrated plastics or radonc or whatever.

BTW there are community programs and community programs you know; some private hospitals are extremely cush and have top-notch faculty and training. These places may sometimes actually give better basic specialty training because the resident is given more autonomy, but the trade-off is there's less opportunity for research and fellowship placement (again it all depends on what you want). But then again some are IMG-filled malignancies with terrible board passage rates that continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel simply because the Medicare system makes residency training a very profitable gig.

That all makes a lot of sense, and is good to hear. I'm not worried about the whole match process because it's so far in the future (I'll be in the MD/PhD program, so it's 7 years from now for me). The only thing is, I'll probably end up wanting to go into a residency that allows for me to do a good bit of research, so going to a strong research institution might be something I'll shoot for. At this point, I'm not really considering any super-competitive specialties.

Any word on how the Match went yesterday? Were people pleased (for the most part)?

4 this year; I know at least three secured positions yesterday. Just from word of mouth 3-4 seems about the average, although that's likely to grow with class size. To the school's credit UMC in general takes care of its own, so with most specialties you're pretty much guaranteed a spot here if you want to stay. With things like orthopedics or ENT for example that are either very selective and/or have more UMC seniors applying than spots, or specialties which we don't train like radiation oncology, well it just doesn't always work out. Even then it's not unheard of to 'create' a paid (and loan-deferable) research position or prelim position that allows that person to strengthen their app and reapply.

That makes me happy. Curtis matched at University of South Florida! :)

Any word on how the Match went yesterday? Were people pleased (for the most part)?

I wish they'd post the list on the website! Maybe they will email it to us next week (since Spring Break was this week)? Seems like everyone is pretty good about emailing us updates...

This thread needs a little more activity! I guess we don't have too many SDNers. I'm not a hardcore poster like you, Babydoc, but I do enjoy browsing the forums a good deal. :D

I'll post the full match list when I get it, don't think they routinely email it to you guys. My wife and I listed our home for sale today, just wanted to post here as well:

MLS# 205079
Listing price $139,900

325 Hawthorne Dr
Madison, MS 39110

3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1350 sq ft home in heart of quiet Madison subdivision of North Place. Close to Madison shopping, schools, and interstate access, it features beautifully landscaped yard front and back, in-ground pool with diving board and Polaris, covered gazebo and large fenced backyard perfect for entertaining. Inside features hardwood floors in dining room, living room and hallway, with carpeted bedrooms, tiled foyer and bathrooms, and Spanish brick kitchen and laundry room. Living room features gas fireplace with mantle and 9ft tray ceilings (also in master BR).

Other notables include home warranty, central AC/H, appliances which will remain with home (stove, refridgerator, washer/dryer, garbage disposal, dishwasher, built-in microwave, pool pumps/filter), custom switchplates, crown molding, two-car garage with storage room and built-in shelving, attic with ladder, built-in kitchen stereo, and storm windows. City water, sewer, garbage, recycling, and yard waste collection services. Our payments are about $1000/month, although with lower loan amt, lower taxes, and lower interest rates you're likely to get it closer to $800-900. Think that's it, thanks!

EDIT: sold. We are still entertaining offers as back-ups, however the primary offer is pretty solid and well above list price.

Last edited:
I'll post the full match list when I get it, don't think they routinely email it to you guys. My wife and I listed our home for sale today, just wanted to post here as well:

MLS# 205079
Listing price $139,900

325 Hawthorne Dr
Madison, MS 39110

3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1350 sq ft home in heart of quiet Madison subdivision of North Place. Close to Madison shopping, schools, and interstate access, it features beautifully landscaped yard front and back, in-ground pool with diving board and Polaris, covered gazebo and large fenced backyard perfect for entertaining. Inside features hardwood floors in dining room, living room and hallway, with carpeted bedrooms, tiled foyer and bathrooms, and Spanish brick kitchen and laundry room. Living room features gas fireplace with mantle and 9ft tray ceilings (also in master BR).

Other notables include home warranty, central AC/H, appliances which will remain with home (stove, refridgerator, washer/dryer, garbage disposal, dishwasher, built-in microwave, pool pumps/filter), custom switchplates, crown molding, two-car garage with storage room and built-in shelving, attic with ladder, built-in kitchen stereo, and storm windows. City water, sewer, garbage, recycling, and yard waste collection services. Our payments are about $1000/month, although with lower loan amt, lower taxes, and lower interest rates you're likely to get it closer to $800-900. Think that's it, thanks!

Thanks so much! Best of luck with your coming endeavors, and here's hoping your beautiful home sells quickly!

I'm looking forward to the match list, I really enjoyed looking at the past couple years' lists (they included them in our interview packets).

Any match list info available yet?

Academic Affairs just added Match Results for 2004-2008 to the website. Hopefully this means the new ones are coming very soon!!

Thanks OMBD! I hadn't even seen all that information.

2009 Match List as printed in the Murmur, the UMC campus newspaper. Takes a second to load, but it's pages 6-10.