University of Mississippi c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good! If you get accepted will it be one of your main choices? When do ya'll find out about acceptance?

I'll think about it...haha. ;) I like how they have the problem-based learning incorporated into the curriculum, but the only problem I see is that it seems kind of inconvenient if I have to travel home for the holidays since Memphis is about an hr and a half away and no shuttle is offered.

Dr. Wilson said we'll hear from them around the first week of April, so about a month and a half from now. The campus at Oxford is really beautiful! I know we would have to move to Jackson during the P3 year, so can you tell me how Jackson is like?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll think about it...haha. ;) I like how they have the problem-based learning incorporated into the curriculum, but the only problem I see is that it seems kind of inconvenient if I have to travel home for the holidays since Memphis is about an hr and a half away and no shuttle is offered.

Dr. Wilson said we'll hear from them around the first week of April, so about a month and a half from now. The campus at Oxford is really beautiful! I know we would have to move to Jackson during the P3 year, so can you tell me how Jackson is like?

Sure, my big sis lives there now. There are very nice parts of Jackson...and then there are very bad parts of Jackson. Spending a year there won't be bad at all though, just I am not sure I would want to live there (I don't really like cities anyway). The facilities at UMC are nice and it is in an alright part of town. Not too many people actually live in the city, it has become the trend in the last decade or so to move out to Madison or Ridgeland. Overall, it works for what we need it to. Kind of a so-so thing I guess.

If you want to know anything about the actual schooling at UMC I can ask my boss or my other pharmacist. Both went to Ole Miss.

How about Dr. Wilson? Funny guy (in the haha way). I think he is retiring next year though.

If you ever decide to go on a sight-seeing tour, be sure to come and check my area out. Totally different than north Mississippi. And then go to Nawlins. Nothing beats the big easy (especially around Mardi Gras time).

Dr. Wilson is cool! We had a nice chat inside his office when we went over my prereqs and grades. :) So you're not really a city person are you? Well, I've lived in both types of settings, so I know how it's like although I have been raised in the city for most of my life. I know I haven't seen much of Mississippi, but I like how Oxford is kind of small and tight-knit. I guess the hard part for me would be to choose a region to do the rotations during the P6 year, but that's a long time from now and I don't even know if I will get accepted or not in the first place since they prefer in-states.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the market for pharmacists like in Orange County like now

What is the market for pharmacists like in Orange County like now

Since the Orange County area (or Southern CA in general) is populated with many pharmacy graduates and with the new schools that have opened, IMO it'll be hard to find a position in the hospital (that's where I want to work). By the way, Dr. Wilson mentioned the reason that Ole Miss doesn't participate in PharmCAS. If a lot of applicants from different states apply and get accepted to Ole Miss, then they'll more likely return to practice pharmacy back in their home states rather than in Mississippi. So, this will lead to a shortage of pharmacists in Mississippi, therefore they want to recruit Mississippi residents so they know that they'll produce pharmacists that will serve the Mississippians.

Yea they really don't need to participate in PharmCAS. Their Med school hasn't accepted an out of state student in over 20 years and their pharm school is heavily biased towards in state.

People really don't give MS the credit it deserves. Low cost of living, great weather, down here we have the water,etc I am definitely staying here.

I don't know about the Early Entry applicants, but I do know that the number of Regular Entry applicants have decreased by half this year. Dr. Wilson said that chances of getting accepted is greater this year, although the school added a couple of factors that will be considered for admission: the reasoning test that I took on the Applicant Day and interview.

How is the weather like in Mississippi? When I was there last weekend, I thought it was warmer than in California! Yes, I have to agree with you on the low cost of living.

I don't know about the Early Entry applicants, but I do know that the number of Regular Entry applicants have decreased by half this year. Dr. Wilson said that chances of getting accepted is greater this year, although the school added a couple of factors that will be considered for admission: the reasoning test that I took on the Applicant Day and interview.

How is the weather like in Mississippi? When I was there last weekend, I thought it was warmer than in California! Yes, I have to agree with you on the low cost of living.

Wow, that is amazing. Early entry applicants increased by about 10.

The weather here is awesome. You can go out on the boat in the middle of January. Shorts and short sleeves all year long mostly. This is where Jimmy Buffett grew up. Need I say more? :laugh:

hey all..

i have been reading yalls thread for a bit and i was wondering if you could answer some questions for me?

I am currently a student at Kennesaw State University in my second semester of my first year.. im taking my pre pharm requirements. I would like to go to Ole miss for pharmacy.. but i am confused about the admissions process... so would i have to re-do my pre pharm classes at ole miss? or just take the classes to get a BS in pharmacuetical sciences and keep my GPA then get into the actually pharmacy school?

any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

You don't have to redo your prereqs at Ole Miss as long as you complete the prereqs. If you get accepted, then you just follow the plan to earn a BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences. If you keep up with your grades, then you finish your 2 years and earn a PharmD.

so let me get this straight... as long as i finish all the pre reqs and they all would transfer correctly... all i have to do is get accepted into the actual Ole miss school, then earn the BS with a GPA above 2.75 and then i would automatically be accepted into the pharm program and it would take 2 years to earn the pharmd? thanks for the help

so let me get this straight... as long as i finish all the pre reqs and they all would transfer correctly... all i have to do is get accepted into the actual Ole miss school, then earn the BS with a GPA above 2.75 and then i would automatically be accepted into the pharm program and it would take 2 years to earn the pharmd? thanks for the help

Yes. So, worry about getting accepted to Ole Miss first because they usually don't take many out-of-state students. I thought they mentioned 2-3 out-of-states per application cycle. However, I met a few out-of-states at my Applicant Day session last month, with one from Georgia. I'm pretty sure other PharmD programs have their own GPA requirement to determine whether the student can progress further into the program, so try to keep the GPA up when you're in there.

That seems like it is a much easier way than just getting accepted into a regular pharmacy school.. do they have high failure rates or anything? and it would end up just being 4 years like any other pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad :)
That seems like it is a much easier way than just getting accepted into a regular pharmacy school.. do they have high failure rates or anything? and it would end up just being 4 years like any other pharmacy school?

Well from this year on, they will factor in the interview and critical thinking test portions. Both of those components add up to 2 points out of 10 when determining who gets accepted or not. You have the advantage of obtaining a bonus 0.5 pt if you complete all prereqs at Ole Miss and another 0.4 pt if you obtain your Bachelor's before matriculation. Next year, they only grant you 0.4 pt if you complete a Master's or higher degree, so a Bachelor's won't help. I believe they only accept around 70 applicants per application cycle. I don't know if it's easy to get accepted, but their application process and program is slightly different than other schools.

I receive an email asking me to register for orientation :confused: Does it mean I am accepted ? :xf:

Anyone else got the email ?

Did it mention anything regarding the BSPS/PharmD program?

Since I had to also submit the Ole Miss Undergraduate application (because I'm an out-of-state applicant), I have been receiving lots of info regarding food, housing, and other pamphlets and emails trying to convince me to come to their school since I have gotten accepted as a pre-pharmacy student. Other than that, I haven't heard anything from them regarding the BSPS/PharmD program.

I just received a letter this morning from Dr. Wilson saying that I am currently being placed on the alternate list.

I'm on the alternate list as well. I called Ms. Jumper and she told me that I was number 2 on the alternate list. So I guess that is good news. I do remember Dr. Wilson saying, during the applicant day, that 30 people were going to be placed on the alternate list, with the top 15 getting in, thus filling the 65 regular entry seating capacity. So I'm assuming that 50 people have already been accepted under "provisional entry" status.

I'm on the alternate list as well. I called Ms. Jumper and she told me that I was number 2 on the alternate list. So I guess that is good news. I do remember Dr. Wilson saying, during the applicant day, that 30 people were going to be placed on the alternate list, with the top 15 getting in, thus filling the 65 regular entry seating capacity. So I'm assuming that 50 people have already been accepted under "provisional entry" status.

OMG, I just called and she said I'm right before you--#1! So, I guess they're going to let us know by the end of this month.

So Cinnamonroll12, it is looking pretty good for us...don't you think?

Yes..I'm from MS, which is shocking that I got put on the alternate list. Anyway, Dr. Wilson just returned an earlier call and he said that they accepted 60 students for provisional entry and have 5 slots open, of course assuming that all 60 students show up and don't decline the program. So I guess as it looks, there are 5 people that are getting pulled off the waitlist at the end of the semester, depending on how the spring grades rack up.

Yes..I'm from MS, which is shocking that I got put on the alternate list. Anyway, Dr. Wilson just returned an earlier call and he said that they accepted 60 students for provisional entry and have 5 slots open, of course assuming that all 60 students show up and don't decline the program. So I guess as it looks, there are 5 people that are getting pulled off the waitlist at the end of the semester, depending on how the spring grades rack up.

So, it seems like we're going to get accepted as long as our spring grades are not that bad (somewhere in the A's or B's). Were you at the Applicant Day on the Valentine's weekend?

I was also put on the alternate list, #13 though... It's not lookin all that great for me... Do y'all think I have a chance?

I was also put on the alternate list, #13 though... It's not lookin all that great for me... Do y'all think I have a chance?

If JPharm228 mentioned that Dr. Wilson said that the top 15 on the alternate have high chances of getting accepted, then hopefully you will get pulled off from the list later on. Just keep crossing your fingers and hope that some people who got accepted will not complete the prereqs in time before school starts.

Looking good cinnamoroll! Are you planning on attending Mississippi if you get accepted? Maybe I should ask that question after your Belmont and UNE interviews. :)

Looking good cinnamoroll! Are you planning on attending Mississippi if you get accepted? Maybe I should ask that question after your Belmont and UNE interviews. :)

Yea, ask me again at the end of spring/summer once I hear from all schools I interview at. I still need to fulfill a couple more prereqs for Mississippi and I'm having trouble looking for those classes, so I'll see how that goes.

To Cinnamoroll...No I was not at the applicant day during valentine's day weekend. I was at the one that was held to week afterwards. I think it was Feb.20-21. But anyway...have you gotten accepted into any other schools or you are just waiting to hear back from the ones u've been waitlisted for??

To Cinnamoroll...No I was not at the applicant day during valentine's day weekend. I was at the one that was held to week afterwards. I think it was Feb.20-21. But anyway...have you gotten accepted into any other schools or you are just waiting to hear back from the ones u've been waitlisted for??

Nope, I haven't gotten accepted to any school yet, but I'm waiting to get pulled off from the alternate from a couple of other schools. I just had an interview at UMKC last weekend and will have 2 more interviews coming up next week. Did you apply to any other schools? Have you taken Bioethics yet?

Yea I'm in Bioethics now and I'm also taking Medical Microbiology, so those are the only classes left for me. Is Ole Miss Pharmacy School your #1 choice school?

Yea I'm in Bioethics now and I'm also taking Medical Microbiology, so those are the only classes left for me. Is Ole Miss Pharmacy School your #1 choice school?

I think that Ole Miss' BSPS/PharmD program is unique compared to other schools, especially the fact that they incorporate the problem-based learning in Jackson during the P5 year. I think Oxford is a nice small town, but the only thing I'm concerned about is that Oxford is not conveniently located to an airport since the closest is the one in Memphis. While I was there, I felt that everyone I encountered with were nice and helpful. I still have 2 more interviews coming next week, so I have to check out those 2 campuses first before coming up with my #1 choice. If I do get accepted to multiple schools, it'll definitely be tough for me to decide.

Yea..I only applied to 1..so it is either here or no where...but I starting to feel pretty confident that we will get in as long as the spring grades are pretty strong. So what were ur stats and all?

Yea..I only applied to 1..so it is either here or no where...but I starting to feel pretty confident that we will get in as long as the spring grades are pretty strong. So what were ur stats and all?

My stats aren't that stellar, but I'd say that my PCAT score is somewhere within the Ole Miss' average I guess. My GPA is slightly over a 3.2. However, I have lots of extracurricular and volunteering activities in hand, and I believe this is my main strength. How do your stats look like?

My stats aren't that stellar, but I'd say that my PCAT score is somewhere within the Ole Miss' average I guess. My GPA is slightly over a 3.2. However, I have lots of extracurricular and volunteering activities in hand, and I believe this is my main strength. How do your stats look like?

I have around a 3.3ish GPA with an average PCAT score according to ole miss. I did tons of volunteering and shadowing in Pharmacies over the last 2 summers. Also, I work at Walgreen's pharmacy as a "seasonal-cashier", if there's such a position.lol:D

I have around a 3.3ish GPA with an average PCAT score according to ole miss. I did tons of volunteering and shadowing in Pharmacies over the last 2 summers. Also, I work at Walgreen's pharmacy as a "seasonal-cashier", if there's such a position.lol:D

I really wonder how I did on the critical reasoning test that we took. Other than a nice talk with Dr. Wilson after the interview, I felt that the interview was sort of rushed don't you think?

I really wonder how I did on the critical reasoning test that we took. Other than a nice talk with Dr. Wilson after the interview, I felt that the interview was sort of rushed don't you think?

Yeah I did felt like it was a little rushed. I was interviewed by two people...a P4 student and a member of faculty from the Med School in Jackson. The interview went really well and I tried to really engage with the interviewers by asking 2 questions at the conclusion of the interview. Are u a traditional student?

Yeah I did felt like it was a little rushed. I was interviewed by two people...a P4 student and a member of faculty from the Med School in Jackson. The interview went really well and I tried to really engage with the interviewers by asking 2 questions at the conclusion of the interview. Are u a traditional student?

What do you mean a traditional student?

What do you mean a traditional student?
Over 30...I hear ole miss has a lot of pharmacy students who are often accepted that's 30 years or older....not like it mean anything...but just a thought.

Over 30...I hear ole miss has a lot of pharmacy students who are often accepted that's 30 years or older....not like it mean anything...but just a thought.

Oh hehe, I'm 22 and have just graduated with a Bachelor's almost 2 weeks ago. Are you an older applicant? On my Applicant Day, I didn't notice anyone old...mostly young ones around my age or a year younger than me.

Oh hehe, I'm 22 and have just graduated with a Bachelor's almost 2 weeks ago. Are you an older applicant? On my Applicant Day, I didn't notice anyone old...mostly young ones around my age or a year younger than me.

I'm 21...hopefully will be 21 when i matriculate.:D

So I know one person that has an acceptance and 1 that got an alternate (both for early acceptance, like me.) I don't have anything in my email box. I feel like crap right now. I am trying to hold out hope, but I honestly don't think they would have emailed alternates before acceptances. :(

So I know one person that has an acceptance and 1 that got an alternate (both for early acceptance, like me.) I don't have anything in my email box. I feel like crap right now. I am trying to hold out hope, but I honestly don't think they would have emailed alternates before acceptances. :(

Keep your hopes up! :xf: How many do they accept from the Early Acceptance pool?

Keep your hopes up! :xf: How many do they accept from the Early Acceptance pool?

IT WAS IN MY JUNK EMAIL! I GOT ACCEPTED AND GOT AN EXTRA SCHOLARSHIP!

They took 60 this year.

IT WAS IN MY JUNK EMAIL! I GOT ACCEPTED AND GOT AN EXTRA SCHOLARSHIP!

They took 60 this year.

Congratulations! :hardy:
Are there anyone out there planning to take Bioethics or Medical Microbiology in the summer at a CC somewhere close to Ole Miss? Sorry, I sound as if I am desperate...which I am!

I just got pulled off the waitlist. I'm in!!!!!!!!!!:D:D