hrandani

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I'm not sure who else to talk to about this, short of the school itself, which is problematic for a variety of reasons.

However, I got a last minute interview with UMMC's psychiatry department, who was careful to state that they had been placed on probation back in October. I have done a fair amount of googling and asking around without any success, and while I'm inclined to take the interview, I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on why a psychiatry program might be placed on probation in 2013 based off of a site inspection in August 2011. It seems to me like that means there is a deep underlying issue that might not be fixed, and the residency will go on to further lose accreditation.

My trepidation is doubtlessly influenced by my previous perspective of watching friends at San Juan Bautista in Puerto Rico scramble when that medical school lost their accreditation due to insurmountable problems regarding cashflow and adequate infrastructure. I wouldn't want to be left holding the bag if this program losing their accreditation before I graduate from their residency is a foregone conclusion.

Does anyone here know where I can find the actual criteria they failed to meet, or has any sort of background information on the academic psychiatry culture in Jackson, Mississippi?

I'm inclined to take the interview, as I'm sure my time in the program would be an incredible learning experience, as the state has some of the lowest healthcare provider:population ratios in North America.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

vistaril

5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm not sure who else to talk to about this, short of the school itself, which is problematic for a variety of reasons.

However, I got a last minute interview with UMMC's psychiatry department, who was careful to state that they had been placed on probation back in October. I have done a fair amount of googling and asking around without any success, and while I'm inclined to take the interview, I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on why a psychiatry program might be placed on probation in 2013 based off of a site inspection in August 2011. It seems to me like that means there is a deep underlying issue that might not be fixed, and the residency will go on to further lose accreditation.

My trepidation is doubtlessly influenced by my previous perspective of watching friends at San Juan Bautista in Puerto Rico scramble when that medical school lost their accreditation due to insurmountable problems regarding cashflow and adequate infrastructure. I wouldn't want to be left holding the bag if this program losing their accreditation before I graduate from their residency is a foregone conclusion.

Does anyone here know where I can find the actual criteria they failed to meet, or has any sort of background information on the academic psychiatry culture in Jackson, Mississippi?

I'm inclined to take the interview, as I'm sure my time in the program would be an incredible learning experience, as the state has some of the lowest healthcare provider:population ratios in North America.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I mean what are your other choices? If the choice was between matching at this program or not matching, I'd choose to go there. If you're a halfway decent candidate though, there are enough noncompetitive programs in the SE where you know you will at least get decent training that I would just pick one of those.....University of Arkansas, UAB, USF, Medical College of Georgia, South Carolina in Columbia, UF, etc are all probably programs that provide adequate training that most decent candidates have a great shot at. I'd just pick one of them over a program like this one that honestly I know absolutely nothing about(which is concerning because Im not that far from then so I should know at least something)......

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Memphis TN
Status
Attending Physician

I am only involved in a peripheral role in the Univ of MS Medical Center (adjunct faculty); and haven't heard of this- I go down to the Univ about once a year to give a lecture or do a similar activity. I encourage you to contact the program director, Dr. Allen Richert. He will give you a straight answer.