University of Mississippi (UMC) - Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sondra

UMC 2010
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start this thread to be able to answer questions before class starts and to help update each other on information you receive from the university.

Members don't see this ad.

yay for new threads!!!

Hey guys, I can't believe its that time again... I will be an M3 next year, and I will have a room open for rent in Fondren Hills Apartments.

The apartment is Right across the street from UMC. You can walk to class in less than 10 minutes. I'll be changing to a new, more updated apartment with a washer and dryer in June, but my current roommate is getting married in March, so you can be my roomy anytime after that.

The utilities and rent will be about 400 a month. I'll be paying more, as I require the bigger bedroom because I study at home a lot. If you want more info on the place or want to come see the complex, call me at 662-279-0837 or email me at [email protected]

You can google Fondren Hills Apartments and there is a website for the place if you feel so inclined.

-Jeremy Wigginton

Members don't see this ad :)
I vouched for Jeremy last year, so I will do it again this year. I also know Jeremy's current room mate who has been content living at Fondren with Jeremy. Jeremy is the best room mate anyone could have. He is quiet and polite! If I didn't have a dog, I would have tried to be his roommate this past year.

Everyone I know loves living at Fondren. It is close, convenient and inexpensive.

i guess all the newbies are shy...

I wish it was August.

Hey, I'm gonna be in the UMC '11 class. I heard a nasty rumor that there is going to be a dress code for our class that requires guys to wear khakis and a button-down shirt to class every day. It was not made clear to me if 'button-down' meant a long-sleeve dress shirt or if a short-sleeve Polo shirt would be OK. Either way, I am VERY unhappy about it, so if anyone cares to fill me in on the details, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Hey, I'm gonna be in the UMC '11 class. I heard a nasty rumor that there is going to be a dress code for our class that requires guys to wear khakis and a button-down shirt to class every day. It was not made clear to me if 'button-down' meant a long-sleeve dress shirt or if a short-sleeve Polo shirt would be OK. Either way, I am VERY unhappy about it, so if anyone cares to fill me in on the details, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

These are the guidelines for "appropriate dress" as it stands now:

Dress in routine class in the first two years is informal.
Intact jeans-No holes, tears or cut-offs,
Polo shirts, collared shirts, solid color and plain T- shirts in good condition without lettering or pictures are acceptable,
Cargo pants, Capri pants & shorts are all acceptable,
In small groups with patients present, guest lecturers and clinical correlations students should wear a clean, short white coat with a name tag identifying that they are medical students & causal business attire (for men slacks/long pants & long sleeve button up shirts or neat polo shirts, for women skirts/ slacks & sweater/blouse),
Clean intact sneakers are acceptable,
No flip flops/thongs or soiled sneakers in poor repair.
In the future the short white coat which is issued to each student at the start of the first year will come with an arm patch. The patch designates the student’s class and is expected to be worn on the left upper arm of the short coat.

For Gross Lab:
Matching scrub top and bottom are to be worn in the Anatomy Lab. Any color is acceptable.
Scrubs should only be worn in designated areas or when the situation warrants their use.
Note that some Lab or clinical settings have more specific dress requirements.

I don't think anyone is thrilled, but it is what it is.

Currently, there are no penalties for breaking the dress code, and I doubt that it will be any different for next year.

Honestly, I can't understand what the fuss is about. The dress code is not very limiting and shouldn't require that anyone go out and buy new clothes. Most people would be happy to go to med school even if it meant wearing a suit and tie to class every day. Dressing professionally will be part of your future and your career, and while it is not ideal to have a dress code, it will do no harm either. Plus, some students honestly don't dress appropriately for class - if you could only hear some of the complaints from people in the class because of the way a few individuals choose to dress.

Well, in response to johndavid, while I am disappointed I will not get to wear my t-shirts to class, the dress code you describe is MUCH more lenient than the rumors around Mississippi State had led me to believe. So long as I can wear jeans and some form of short-sleeve shirt to class, I guess I can live with it.

Dress code, smesh code...dress comfortably. It's all about you and the books for the first two years. Most of the time you will be sitting at a desk in the library studying. don't stress too much about it.

"Dress codes are for pansies". Exactly.

I hope you're my M2 buddy, I think we have similar attitudes.

Members don't see this ad :)
i personally feel there was a dress code enacted because people either dressed like slobs and/or hootchies in front of the dean of the med school. that's just stupidity on those people's parts. i'm just mad that i can't wear flip flops...

when did they decide that patch thing? i hadn't heard about that yet.

i'm excited about some of the curriculum changes for next year...definitely going to make the first year more doable. has anyone heard anything about a proposed attendance policy?

Really, you can wear whatever you want. Since there is no kind of punishment it's more of a suggestion than a rule.

I've heard that one dept. is pushing for more mandatory attendance next year. They are passing around a roll every day right now. They are going to take that data and attempt to correlate it to grades. I doubt much will come of it. I look for the policy to be the same as this year; come when you feel like it.

has anyone heard anything about a proposed attendance policy?

They had an attendance policy before our class. It required you to attend a certain percentage of classes. (Of course it won't bother those people that show up for every class. nudge. nudge)

Really, you can wear whatever you want. Since there is no kind of punishment it's more of a suggestion than a rule.

I've heard that one dept. is pushing for more mandatory attendance next year. They are passing around a roll every day right now. They are going to take that data and attempt to correlate it to grades. I doubt much will come of it. I look for the policy to be the same as this year; come when you feel like it.

Who is taking attendance? Did you see the report that Dr. Naftel has on the histology Blackboard page where they correlated attendance to class performance? I thought it was interesting.

Are sandals with socks ok for guys???

Even if it is, don't do it.

I wanted to say this too, but I already made comments about the dress code which are against the popular opinion, so I was going to keep my mouth shut. HAHA

They had an attendance policy before our class. It required you to attend a certain percentage of classes. (Of course it won't bother those people that show up for every class. nudge. nudge)

le sigh.

I know I'm a little late but I just found this site.

Anyone have any information about the curriculum change? I was just a little curious.

P.S. I saw M1's in sandals, t-shirts with writing, and jeans with holes this past year... I don't think the "dress code" really matters.... ha ha

Just wanted to post to say hey to the UMC folks, especially the class of 2011 here on SDN. I'll moving down to Jack-town in mid-July.........wondering if anybody lives(d) in DeSoto county, which I'll be migrating from in a few weeks. A little anxious and excited bout startn.........any words of wisdom for us @ the bottom of the totem pole once again?

I'm a UMC newbie too (c/o 2011). I think we are so low on the totem poll that no one wants to talk to us. :(

Gotta be some more people from UMC who look at this site

Maybe not, or it actually could be that M1's are the Rodney Dangerfields of med school.........as you suggest P Bear.

Anyways, Gettin xcited bout' startn:D

For the class of 2010, I found that lot of people read sdn, but few people will actually post.

Cool avetar Sondra...what r those things anyway?

That is what happens to your brain after you start medical school. hahah

Well I might as well put down here that it's official for me. I'll be moving to Jackson right before orientation. All I'm gonna say for words of wisdom is:
-Get your apartment now. If you want a good location, spots are going fast. The demand right now far outstrips the supply; I was able to get my apartment because I was first on the waiting list.
-Don't get complacent with being lazy over this summer if you're not working. Enjoy the summer, but don't let your brain rot.
-If you want to get to know some ppl from UMC this summer, go volunteer at the Jackson Free Clinic (jacksonfreeclinic.org). During the orientation I actually met some people I knew from HS.

On that note does anyone know if there's a pub in Jackson that serves Guiness by the pint?

Apartments are hard to get in August but not impossible if you look early. Most places only take a thirty day notice, so the management doesn't even know what is available until the end of June/begining of July. I started looking in June last year, and I actually had to move in July (although I didn't start "living" in Jackson until the night of orientation.

I found my house by looking in the Clarion Ledger. They have quite a few small apartments in the Belhaven area in the Clarion Ledger at any given time. (clarionledger.com).

As for Guiness, try Fenian's - they are only a couple of miles from campus. You can find several med students there any night of the week.

Fenian's Pub
901 E Fortification St
Jackson, MS 39202
(601) 948-0055
www.fenianspub.com

I got an apartment straight out on east Lakeland in what I think is Flowood,Ms..it's about 8 miles from campus, but its a straight shot and located in a nice upscale area.... I can't remember what the heck it's called though??? This is sad....Ashford Place...here is some info if u want

#90971 Ashford Place
5201 Lakeland Blvd.
Flowood, Mississippi 39232

County: Rankin County
Phone: 601-992-6100
Fax: 601-919-3210

http://www.mississippiapartmentguide.com/ShowHeritage.asp?PropertyID=90971

So I hear that the e-mail from UMC says that you can't bring anyone to the white coat ceremony. Am I, as an incoming M1, required to go? If my family and my date can't be there, I honestly have no interest in going.

The white coat ceremony is a more of a bonding ceremony among students and faculty. It isn't incredibly exciting. Last year, there was a nice buffet dinner along with waitstaff. There was a keynote speaker and some other staff/faculty made some breif statements. Then everyone gets their coat, a pin, and a book (in really quick procession - usually two students at a time, one on each side of the room). I think there was a mug and some other goodies on the table for each person. Lastly, there is a group picture.

For spouses/fiances/significant others, there is a "night out" put on by the spouses association. They meet right next door to the white coat ceremony. I think they go out to a restraunt or something, but they are back by the time the ceremony is over.

Yeh..to my parents, the white coat ceremony is more important than my college graduation...they were bummed out to hear about it....does anyone else do this students-only? Never heard of it being like this anywhere else.....

I'm looking for a female roommate near umc or rts. I will be a grad student in the area.

If anyone's still looking for an apt there is a large 2 br apt in Belhaven heights for 800/mo (that's what the previous tenants paid). It's on my street and it's a fairly nice neighborhood.

I think that the white coat ceremony limitations on guests is more of a managability issue rather than an attempt to make it an exclusive gathering. The room was pretty full last year for the white coat ceremony. I was bummed that my wife could not attend, but the spouses did have a party that coincided with the ceremony. This is only the beginning of your professional career. There are going to be more "extension of the workday" type activities that are set up to "take care of business" rather than be a get-to-know-you event. That is pretty much how you have to view the white coat ceremony, and more importantly how you have to present it to your spouse, parents, etc. who want to come. The white coat ceremony is more of a rite of passage than a celebration of accomplishment, again since you are just at the beginning rather than the end. I was never in a fraternity, but I believe that when you pledge, or are pinned, or whatever it is you do, I don't think that it is a family affair. This is a pretty appropriate view of the white coat ceremony.

On the bright side, at the end of it all for match day and graduation, I think that pretty much anyone who wants to come in off the street can attend!!

After the white coat is placed on your shoulders, strap in and keep up. That will pretty much be the last of the ceremony for four years......It will all be worth it!

Eh... the white coat creremony. One of the burners fell apart during the speech and set a small fire, and everyone - and i mean the doctors, students and such - kind of just stared at it. Some of us were giggling, but no one actually did anything until about 10 minutes later. I actually stood up and poured my glass of water on it, like that helped. It was pretty funny. The actual thing wasn't too bad, but that was because I sat with people I knew. It would've been painful otherwise. But you know, it's just one of those things you have to go to. Plus, I hear it's a pretty big deal.

I for one will be wearing what I want to school. I was never one of the people to wear the pink thong or the torn jeans, but still, I'll make sure I'm comfortable. I walk or bike to school. Ain't no way I'm deckin' myself up for that. Plus, ya'll are gonna have anatomy. When you're as mentally and physically exhausted like that, it's such an unnecessary hassle to think of what to wear.

Did I hear Fenians? That IS the place to be. I might schedule a field trip to that place. I'll introduce you guys to the servers and the bartenders. It's my Olive Garden. When I'm there, I'm family.