University of Missouri-Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do u want to know?
Smaller program 3 residents per year
Good surgical experience with fair number of cataracts.
Retina service good with lots of class I vitrectomies etc.
Lots of Level I plastic cases, although trauma is fairly low.
Call is home call.
Columbia is small(~100,000) college town.
Very friendly attendings and teaching done by attendings.
One fellow in cornea.
Other questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do u want to know?
Smaller program 3 residents per year
Good surgical experience with fair number of cataracts.
Retina service good with lots of class I vitrectomies etc.
Lots of Level I plastic cases, although trauma is fairly low.
Call is home call.
Columbia is small(~100,000) college town.
Very friendly attendings and teaching done by attendings.
One fellow in cornea.
Other questions?

Sounds like a great program, with lots of plusses. Do you know of, or have you possibly heard of, critiques of the program?

Trauma is low(this can be good or bad). You won't get to do a ton of orbital wall repairs or other intraorbital surgery.
Research is available to do, but not done in abundance.
Better area's of research are Neuro, Cornea, and Retina.
Lesser area's of research are Plastics, Glaucoma, Peds.
Some of the lectures could be better.

Thanks for the info Jokestr. What are the fellowship opportunities like?

Does anyone have any updated information on this program? I have to decide on whether to keep this interview or cancel another, and was hoping someone had some insight.
Thanks!

Depends on what you're looking for I suppose. I matched elsewhere but this program ended up pretty high on my rank list since the people there were nice, their surgical numbers were really good (don't remember specifics), they had some great looking new clinics, and I don't think they were too trauma-heavy. Columbia was quiet and seemed safe but it is a college town with enough stuff going on for me to be entertained. Very pretty area of the country too if you like hills and trees. Cost of living was lower than other places that I interviewed. I think the PD was moving onto some other position and maybe they were looking for a new one? Not sure if I'm remembering that right.

Depends on what you're looking for I suppose. I matched elsewhere but this program ended up pretty high on my rank list since the people there were nice, their surgical numbers were really good (don't remember specifics), they had some great looking new clinics, and I don't think they were too trauma-heavy. Columbia was quiet and seemed safe but it is a college town with enough stuff going on for me to be entertained. Very pretty area of the country too if you like hills and trees. Cost of living was lower than other places that I interviewed. I think the PD was moving onto some other position and maybe they were looking for a new one? Not sure if I'm remembering that right.

Thank you so much. Do you remember how they do for fellowship match? I'm interested in retina in particular, maybe plastics.

From what I remember, everywhere except for a couple of places I interviewed said that they hadn't had any problems getting residents to match their chosen fellowships. Don't remember any specifics about Mizzou but it wasn't one of the ones who said they had trouble with fellowship matches.

My favorite of the 4 Missouri programs. Residents started day by saying: if you like surgery and sleep, Mizzou is for you. Normally take 3 residents a year, but going to 4 this application cycle. Best call schedule I encountered all interview season. Free food as a resident in physicians lounge. #1 in Research funding at MU. Prelim year interview included as part of interview day, but not required should you match.

Residents graduate with around 200 phacos. Great VA that is in process of expanding Ophthalmology area. Premium lenses, femtosecond laser available, Ora system available for use. 2 OR's at VA, residents state very nice and runs efficiently. Outpatient surgery center exposure as well.

No Peds faculty at this time, actively recruiting. Can rotate at UMKC or WashU to get exposure.

PGY2 surgery includes: cataracts, plastics (40 cases by end of year), cornea

PGY3: Peds, Retina, Glaucoma, Cataract (60-75 cases)

Retina: average 40 core vitrectomies, 10-20 scleral buckles, lots of lasers. No retina fellow right now, but will have one starting next Year.

PGY4: VA cataract finish up around 200, get around 25-35 phacos at University, plastics 40-80 cases, Glaucoma 10-20 procedures

Faculty was awesome. Dr. Davis is great and an awesome PD. Recruited new faculty in Glaucoma and Cornea. VA attending faculty take time and go over surgical videos of your cases to teach and provide recommendations. Surgery numbers will stay steady at 200, faculty state a lot of surgery that is currently not done by residents.

Call split between first years. q4 in week and one weekend a month, 2nd years: one weekday a week and 4 weekends per year. 3RD YEAR backup call every 3 weeks for one week.

Residents are happy, a hidden gem honestly. Eye and Ear Institute is in the works. Ready to practice Comprehensive when all said and done or can match at competitive Fellowship programs. Columbia is a nice college town, may not be for everyone, but lots of outdoor activities and cheap place to live. PGY stipend goes a long way.

Those who interviewed here and elsewhere: the doximity rating on this program is low, did anyone end up ranking this above higher rated programs? If so why? Struggling with ranking this over a similar program who is higher ranked. Will the lack of research here be a big negative for matching fellowship?

As CarpetWindow7 said above, this is truly a hidden gem of a program. I interviewed at more than 15 programs, and ranked this program above many higher ranked programs due to the absolute friendliness of everyone I met and the high quality and variety of training. Additionally, if finances are of any concern, this program is phenomenal for families, not only because of the quality of life, but because of the affordable nature of the town. I can't say enough good things about the PD, Chair, the enthusiastic faculty that I met, and the residents. This program is doing something right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As CarpetWindow7 said above, this is truly a hidden gem of a program. I interviewed at more than 15 programs, and ranked this program above many "higher ranked" programs due to the absolute friendliness of everyone I met and the high quality and variety of training. Additionally, if finances are of any concern, this program is phenomenal for families, not only because of the quality of life, but because of the affordable nature of the town. I can't say enough good things about the PD, Chair, the enthusiastic faculty that I met, and the residents. This program is doing something right.

Thanks pokebowl!

Reactions: 1 user