University of Missouri - Kansas City program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kluver Bucy

Gold Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
UMKC was my big surprise on the interview trail. I heard next to nothing about this program, and couldn't find much on their website. I loved the town (should have applied to KUMC too). Comfortable, inexpensive, very friendly people. I also genuinely enjoyed all the faculty I met. I was also impressed with their new facilities. I'm tempted to rank this program high - maybe #1, but nobody knows anything about it, and that may be an issue come fellowship time. What do you think? Yes, I know that there was one review done on scutwork.com.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the program, but I went to medical school at UMKC and spent a lot of time doing psych rotations at the old state hospital (they broke ground for the new building after I left). I enjoyed my rotations a lot and learned quite a bit from the residents. The faculty were very friendly and Kansas City is a fantastic place to live. That being said, after graduating from medical school I chose to pursue training at a more well-known program. It's nice to hear some good things about UMKC and I hope they start to get a little more press.