University of Missouri - Kansas City (UMKC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmyC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No one seems to have made a thread about UMKC yet, so I figured I would since I have a few questions about it.

They just recently changed to a 2-4 program. In return, they didn't accept any applicants last year. So we're kind of in new territory.

My main question is, have any of you heard anything about interviews yet? Also, does anyone know if you have to interview for both the UMKC campus and the Columbia campus if you applied to both? Or do you interview once and tell them which campus you prefer?

Hope all of your interview/application processes are going well!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that you interview just once. On the application (sup) you pick which campus you would like to attend. Interviews start in November, Feb and March (this is the info I found on the website).

Really? I guess I filled the supplemental out so long ago that I forgot about choosing preferred campus. Oh well, thanks! I should have read the site more closely about the interview dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmyC,
How long ago did you apply? Was the supplemental very long?

The supplemental was not bad at all. It just goes over basic info/ pre-req classes you have taken and your gpa's at the schools you've attended.... I'm going to ask some kids that go there if they have heard anything about interviews this year since I know that info floats around and I'll let you guys know what I hear!
Good luck tho!

No problem. I'm surprised more people haven't posted on here. They said they are expecting more applicants this year because this is there first year on PharmCAS and first year of the 2-6 program.... Which campus are you guys preffing?

I am surprised as well, maybe it will catch on soon. I am preferring the home campus (K.C.), but will go to either one. What about you?

I'm applying to UMKC as well! I sent in my supplemental application about two weeks ago, so I'm crossing my fingers that I can get a November interview.
I would prefer the KC campus as well, but would gladly attend either :D

I'm really hoping that skipping a year of admissions won't result in a ton of applicants this year, but I feel like it will.

Hope your applications/interviews are going well :)

Good luck to you as well Romanthia. I see that you are applying to K.U. and as well how is that app?

Good luck to you as well Romanthia. I see that you are applying to K.U. and as well how is that app?

If I remember correctly, the Drake supplemental is basically the same as the UMKC one (list classes taken, gpa, PCAT score?, and no essays).
I'm still working on my KU application, but it's not too bad. It has five short answer prompts about why you want to go into pharmacy in addition to the basic info.
Are you applying anywhere else?

Im going to get that KU application done this weekend.... I hope they allow Mizzou students in....:cool:

I was wondering if any current students at UMKC know much about the satelite program at Mizzou's campus?

I am more interested in the location, but weary of the fact that your actual pharmacy courses will be given via video recordings of the UMKC campus's lectures.

Can anyone provide me with more information about the program? Are those who attend that satelite usually on equal footing when it comes to job searches and/or residencies?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if any current students at UMKC know much about the satelite program at Mizzou's campus?

I am more interested in the location, but weary of the fact that your actual pharmacy courses will be given via video recordings of the UMKC campus's lectures.

Can anyone provide me with more information about the program? Are those who attend that satelite usually on equal footing when it comes to job searches and/or residencies?

Thanks!

I work with a few, and they have said that they really enjoy it. I know from being a Mizzou student that some cases, P1 students will mix with classes like biochemistry 1 and 2 courses/ general upper level that do not require distance education. From what I have been told, both schools will have video recordings. For example, a pharmacist teaches a class at Mizzou campus and there will be a live feed to the Kansas city campus and vice versa. Also, they say if you feel sick you can get the live feed on your computer from your house with the system. They also record it and save it online, so if you missed something you can go back and review it.

Does anyone know if the two dates they have listed on their pharmCAS the only dates that will be available for fall semester interviews?

Yes, I am going to apply to K.U. I was also looking at Drake

On the actual website, I see three interview times. One (2 dates) in Nov. Feb. and one in March.

If I remember correctly, the Drake supplemental is basically the same as the UMKC one (list classes taken, gpa, PCAT score?, and no essays).
I'm still working on my KU application, but it's not too bad. It has five short answer prompts about why you want to go into pharmacy in addition to the basic info.
Are you applying anywhere else?

I work with a few, and they have said that they really enjoy it. I know from being a Mizzou student that some cases, P1 students will mix with classes like biochemistry 1 and 2 courses/ general upper level that do not require distance education. From what I have been told, both schools will have video recordings. For example, a pharmacist teaches a class at Mizzou campus and there will be a live feed to the Kansas city campus and vice versa. Also, they say if you feel sick you can get the live feed on your computer from your house with the system. They also record it and save it online, so if you missed something you can go back and review it.

Does anyone know if the two dates they have listed on their pharmCAS the only dates that will be available for fall semester interviews?

On the actual website, I see three interview times. One (2 dates) in Nov. Feb. and one in March.

:thumbup: November 4 and 7; February 3 and 17; and March 17.

I got an email yesterday that all of my application materials have been received, so my application is now under review. :scared:

Nov 4th interview has been canceled. Only November interview date until February is Nov 7th. They didn't have enough early applicants...

wow. Are you serious? Thats crazy/ good for us I guess. Less competition...

What class is medical terminology?! 1.0 unit? I have received my bachelors in Biochem and I have never heard of this class! Is there a class by this name?!!

Medical Terminology is offered at Mizzou and UMKC and some local community colleges here. It is a class that just teaches you the prefixes/ suffixes of medical terms and then defines general medical terms like appendectomy, etc......You should call admissions and see if they have a possible equivalent course where you are located. Most of the nursing students take the class here and us pharmacy folks I guess.....and its a lot of work for a 1 credit hour course so I hear.

Last edited:
Medical Terminology is offered at Mizzou and UMKC and some local community colleges here. It is a class that just teaches you the prefixes/ suffixes of medical terms and then defines general medical terms like appendectomy, etc......You should call admissions and see if they have a possible equivalent course where you are located. Most of the nursing students take the class here and us pharmacy folks I guess.....and its a lot of work for a 1 credit hour course so I hear.

Thank you so much! I checked my local CC does not have the class, I found one in another college farther from me in their nursing program. 3 units though! I have not applied to UMKC yet, I am going to call them, honestly I am done with all my pre-reqs and I am not sure if I want to take another class just for one school!

Yeah, its a a pain in the butt. I am trying to complete a degree on top of getting all these different pre-reqs done for different schools...

Nov 4th interview has been canceled. Only November interview date until February is Nov 7th. They didn't have enough early applicants...
Wow. That is crazy. Has anyone heard anything else about interviews? Anyone here gotten an interview yet?

What class is medical terminology?! 1.0 unit? I have received my bachelors in Biochem and I have never heard of this class! Is there a class by this name?!!

Yep, what RxOnceB4 said. I was able to take mine online which was really nice.

I received an interview invite today. I am, however, both excited and nervous about the trip out to Kansas City. It'll be the first time I've interviewed so far away. And navigating new cities is not my most adept skill. :p

What campus did you all choose as your top preference? I chose Mizzou because it is both closer to home (St. Louis) and I have various acquaintances there already to help with the transition. Plus, having spent my undergrad on the near south side of Chicago at a small private university, I think Mizzou and the "college town" feel will be a nice change.

I received an interview invite today. I am, however, both excited and nervous about the trip out to Kansas City. It'll be the first time I've interviewed so far away. And navigating new cities is not my most adept skill. :p

What campus did you all choose as your top preference? I chose Mizzou because it is both closer to home (St. Louis) and I have various acquaintances there already to help with the transition. Plus, having spent my undergrad on the near south side of Chicago at a small private university, I think Mizzou and the "college town" feel will be a nice change.

So did I :) What time is yours? My invite said I need to be there at 7:30 am which worries me because I am not a morning person. :laugh:

I live pretty close to KC, so that's my first choice campus.

Congrats guys! I got an email saying mine is under review two days ago...... So I'm in lingo I guess......:cool:
PharmyC: Where are you from in Stl?

So did I :) What time is yours? My invite said I need to be there at 7:30 am which worries me because I am not a morning person. :laugh:

I live pretty close to KC, so that's my first choice campus.

Mine is also at 7:30 AM. Pretty sure that everyone meets up at the same time since there will be presentations and other activities. Good luck!

PharmyC: Where are you from in Stl?

I'm from West County (Ballwin/Manchester). I've been up in Chicago for undergrad though. I'll be sad to leave if I get into UMKC. But, oh well, I'll get over it - sacrifices must be made. :p

Last edited:
Hahaha thats awesome. I'm from Wildwood. What high school/ what year did you graduate? We're next door neighbors practically.

I went to Parkway South High and graduated in 2008. How about you?

I went to Eureka and graduated in 2008. Why didn't you go to Mizzou?

It was a weird combination of events, actually. I had originally been enrolled at Mizzou. I was waiting on responses from other schools still, however, so I didn't enroll until later than most people. By the time I had enrolled at Mizzou most of the housing for freshmen was full since they did it first-come-first-served that year for the first time.

At the same time I had just received my financial aid letter from another school in Chicago (Illinois Institute of Technology). It was comparable in costs after scholarships to going to a public uni - so I figured it'd be fun to live in Chicago for a few years. In addition, I knew someone who was going there so we roomed together the first year. I'm happy with the decision though, going to a small private school gave me some unique opportunities. Sadly, it also had it's downsides.

As much as I'd like to stay in Chicago - the costs of living is way higher than Missouri and the tuition of any of the schools here is about 15k more a year. So hopefully I get into UMKC.

And that is my long story. But I think it'd be cool to go to Mizzou now. I kind of missed out on the big school experience.

Only thing that stinks is that the pre-reqs for UMKC are fairly different from all the other schools I'm applying to. In return, I have to take a couple over the summer most likely.

No thats cool. I didn't originally go to Mizzou either, so I completely understand. I actually went to STLCOP which is an extremely small private pharmacy school (bad idea for me), hence my user name. But, Columbia is a great town to go to school in. I love it and would love to stay four more years.... and if you think you have missed the state university experience you can definitely make up for it here, haha.

On a side note, are we supposed to bring in an updated resume or something for the interview? Is anyone going to stay in KC the night before? because I am really thinking about it now.........A 5:30am drive from Columbia to KC through rush hour would not be fun at all....

LoL..You are on to something!!! That rush hour traffic would not be fun at all that early in the morning!

A week from today we will be interviewing! You guys excited yet?:cool:

Anyone hear anything back yet? And how did you guys think they went?

I thought they were actually really really laid back.....

Anyone hear anything back yet? And how did you guys think they went?

I thought they were actually really really laid back.....

I haven't heard anything yet.

They were so much more laid back than I expected. I also really liked that they switched to one-on-one interviews this year.

Can those of you who received interviews tell us your stats? :)

cGPA:3.72
sGPA:3.62
PCAT : 82 comp

B.S. in Medicinal Chemistry in May 2012
Lots of extracurriculars + Job as inpatient pharmacy tech at local hospital

And yeah the one on one interview was great! I'm not sure if I liked the 3 on 1 alumni interview/talk.

Can those of you who received interviews tell us your stats? :)

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.57
PCAT: 77 comp

4 summers as a hospital pharm tech.
average amount of extracurriculars, with a lot of volunteer hours

I was really hoping the letter would come in today. My deposit to Midwestern is due tomorrow and I don't want to waste my money if I get into UMKC a couple days after. Which is most likely going to happen if i get in since they told me they'd try to have everything out before Thanksgiving.

Anyone else hear back yet?

Last edited:
yeah this is frustrating. I have not heard anything yet either. I'm really hoping tomorrow or wednesday! I'll post on here when I find out!

Haha nope, not here. I'm home for Thanksgiving currently though and the letter will be mailed up to my school address.

From what I gathered though they were suppose to send the letters out on Wednesday. So I am hoping to get the letter by Monday.

Nothing here yet.
I'm really hoping to hear tomorrow.

So....I'm thinking about emailing them asking when we should expect them since it has been technically over three weeks. Call me overreacting, but I need to start making decisions....What do you think?

So....I'm thinking about emailing them asking when we should expect them since it has been technically over three weeks. Call me overreacting, but I need to start making decisions....What do you think?
I don't think it's overreacting to shoot an email since it's been over 3 weeks. The suspense is killing us all:shrug: