University of Montana 2017/2018 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utahpt1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else heard from University of Montana? I just got an email that I am a waitlist for interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else heard from University of Montana? I just got an email that I am a waitlist for interviews.
My best friend got an interview and I got waistlisted for an interview! Wonder how many people are on the waitlist for an interview

Reactions: 1 user
I received an invitation to interview yesterday and I will be attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
My best friend got an interview and I got waistlisted for an interview! Wonder how many people are on the waitlist for an interview
Thats what I'm curious about as well. Anyone know if it is even possible to establish residency in Montana for grad school?

Thats what I'm curious about as well. Anyone know if it is even possible to establish residency in Montana for grad school?
sounds possible after 12 months if you have the right documentation.... Office of the Registrar.. but would be best to contact the physical therapy school to make sure.

I'm pretty sure you can, that's what I'm banking on anyways. Even just with OOS tuition for one year it'd be almost the same price as my state school.

Hey guys - I got an invitation to interview yesterday. It's my top choice school, so fingers crossed. See you on February 3rd!

I called them today and they said that we are ranked on the waitlist but that she can't give out any numbers yet because those invited to interview have until the 18th of January. She said things can move around from now until then and that we can call on the 18th and see where we are ranked on the waitlist.

I called them today and they said that we are ranked on the waitlist but that she can't give out any numbers yet because those invited to interview have until the 18th of January. She said things can move around from now until then and that we can call on the 18th and see where we are ranked on the waitlist.
awesome!! thanks for the info!

I got an email on Tuesday offering an interview for February 3rd, which I accepted. They said I had until Jan 25th at the latest to reply.

I had the same question because I'm out of state and here's what I found about claiming residency:

Your actions during the 12 month waiting period will be used to determine whether you are in the state as a bona fide resident or merely for educational purposes. The decision on your residency will not generally depend on just one factor. The following are some of the things you can do that will support a claim of bona fide residency.
A. Register to vote if you are a voter
B. License a vehicle if you operate one in Montana
C. Obtain a driver's license if you drive
D. Be physically present in Montana, not out of state, for more than a total of 30 days
E. Not be claimed as a tax exemption by residents of another state
F. Provide at least 51% of your own financial support (this means you will need to document to us that you have contributed approximately $6000 towards your support during the twelve month waiting period
G. File a Montana resident income tax return (this is important for all who claim residency in Montana, regardless of the amount of earnings)
H. Only register for six (6) credits or less per semester (including summer school) during the twelve month waiting period. Registering for more than 6 credits creates a strong presumption that you are here for education purposes, and may disqualify you from achieving in-state status.
(Office of the Registrar)

Looks like it might be a bit difficult to establish residency if you're in school full time. I haven't been able to access the year by year DPT curriculum on UMT's website but I'm 99% sure it would be more than 6 credits... :/

I had the same question because I'm out of state and here's what I found about claiming residency:

Your actions during the 12 month waiting period will be used to determine whether you are in the state as a bona fide resident or merely for educational purposes. The decision on your residency will not generally depend on just one factor. The following are some of the things you can do that will support a claim of bona fide residency.
A. Register to vote if you are a voter
B. License a vehicle if you operate one in Montana
C. Obtain a driver's license if you drive
D. Be physically present in Montana, not out of state, for more than a total of 30 days
E. Not be claimed as a tax exemption by residents of another state
F. Provide at least 51% of your own financial support (this means you will need to document to us that you have contributed approximately $6000 towards your support during the twelve month waiting period
G. File a Montana resident income tax return (this is important for all who claim residency in Montana, regardless of the amount of earnings)
H. Only register for six (6) credits or less per semester (including summer school) during the twelve month waiting period. Registering for more than 6 credits creates a strong presumption that you are here for education purposes, and may disqualify you from achieving in-state status.
(Office of the Registrar)

Looks like it might be a bit difficult to establish residency if you're in school full time. I haven't been able to access the year by year DPT curriculum on UMT's website but I'm 99% sure it would be more than 6 credits... :/

I think these requirements are directed more towards those doing undergrad schooling. I've talked to both admissions counselors and students at different out-of-state schools and they seemed to be more lenient with grad students even when they had requirements written like this. If you can prove you made an effort to establish residency (change license, car registration, voter registration, show lease agreement, etc) and meet their designated waiting period you can usually get in-state tuition after that. I'm not certain Montana will be the same, but in general it usually works this way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think these requirements are directed more towards those doing undergrad schooling. I've talked to both admissions counselors and students at different out-of-state schools and they seemed to be more lenient with grad students even when they had requirements written like this. If you can prove you made an effort to establish residency (change license, car registration, voter registration, show lease agreement, etc) and meet their designated waiting period you can usually get in-state tuition after that. I'm not certain Montana will be the same, but in general it usually works this way.

Thanks - that gives me a little more hope! :)

I was invited for a the February 2-3 interview weekend. Has anyone heard any schedule details yet?

I was invited for a the February 2-3 interview weekend. Has anyone heard any schedule details yet?

There is a tentative schedule at the bottom of the email. When I talked to Caitlin last week she said they hadn't sorted the applicants into interview groups yet.

I received an interview and will be attending. Anyone else having split decisions though? I've already put a deposit down somewhere else because I was afraid I wasn't going to get a Montana interview.

I received an interview and will be attending. Anyone else having split decisions though? I've already put a deposit down somewhere else because I was afraid I wasn't going to get a Montana interview.
Yes - I put a deposit down somewhere else as well just in case. Hoping this doesn't negatively affect my chances, I'm not sure what other schools know/can see once a deposit is in. But hopefully programs are understanding since there are so many different deadlines and dates...you gotta do what you gotta do!

Yes - I put a deposit down somewhere else as well just in case. Hoping this doesn't negatively affect my chances, I'm not sure what other schools know/can see once a deposit is in. But hopefully programs are understanding since there are so many different deadlines and dates...you gotta do what you gotta do!
It shouldn't affect our chances at all, at least I'm sure we'll be fine. I would be paying OOS at Montana, and I already committed to U of South Carolina and paid my deposit there. If I got in-state tuition at Montana after my first year, it would be the same exact price as going to South Carolina. So many different things to think about deciding about going to this interview! Also, my plane ticket to get to the interview is 500 dollars as well :/ Anyone have any advice for me? Montana was my top choice (although it's expensive) and South Carolina was my second choice. I'm really conflicted.

Just received an interview this morning off the waitlist and will be attending!

Reactions: 1 users
As far as gaining residency in MT it seems pretty difficult. I haven't gotten a definitive answer despite emailing Caitlin (University of Montana) and some other residency guy with the university. In talking with a staff member over the MBA at UMT (they do a joint DPT/MBA) she made it sound quite difficult. One student I talked to said "two of us", talking about out of staters I assume, got residency, but he made it sound like you need to buy a home or have a spouse who works. To me it seems like a bit of a gamble whereas other states I've looked into (Arizona, Washington) which also have the clause about being a full time student seem to let it slide without issue if you take all the steps to indicate you intend to stick around. Anyone else know more about gaining Montana residency from talking with students/staff at UMT?

Last edited:
As far as gaining residency in MT it seems pretty difficult. I haven't gotten a definitive answer despite emailing Caitlin (University of Montana) and some other residency guy with the university. In talking with a staff member over the MBA at UMT (they do a joint DPT/MBA) she made it sound quite difficult. One student I talked to said "two of us", talking about out of staters I assume, got residency, but he made it sound like you need to buy a home or have a spouse who works. To me it seems like a bit of a gamble whereas other states I've looked into (Arizona, Washington) which also have the clause about being a full time student seem to let it slide without issue if you take all the steps to indicate you intend to stick around. Anyone else know more about gaining Montana residency from talking with students/staff at UMT?
Thanks for the info! I asked them as well and never got a definitive answer either. Would love to hear if anyone else has any other info.

I just called and talked to Dawn in the Residency office and talked to her about the ability to gain residency and it sounds like it is impossible to gain residency while attending PT school. She said that the law in Montana states that if you are over 6 credit hours per semester during your first 12 months in the state you cannot gain residency. I even asked her about the spouse working in Montana, she said that it is true you can get an exemption in the 6 credit hour rule if your spouse is working but they have to have a job offer in Montana before your application was submitted to the University of Montana. So she said it wouldn't work if your spouse just found a job when you moved there. She said there are no other ways around it if you are in a full-time professional school. I'm personally really bummed about it, its a dealbreaker for me (38,000 a year is a bit high).

I just called and talked to Dawn in the Residency office and talked to her about the ability to gain residency and it sounds like it is impossible to gain residency while attending PT school. She said that the law in Montana states that if you are over 6 credit hours per semester during your first 12 months in the state you cannot gain residency. I even asked her about the spouse working in Montana, she said that it is true you can get an exemption in the 6 credit hour rule if your spouse is working but they have to have a job offer in Montana before your application was submitted to the University of Montana. So she said it wouldn't work if your spouse just found a job when you moved there. She said there are no other ways around it if you are in a full-time professional school. I'm personally really bummed about it, its a dealbreaker for me (38,000 a year is a bit high).

Thank you for looking into the matter and posting this. I feel a lot better about turning them down. Sounds like a great program, but I'm with you, out of state tuition is not worth it.

Granted it is probably possible, just certainly not guaranteed and chances are probably on the slimmer side as far as getting residency after the first year.

Just curious, are you guys planning on going to the Friday night reception?

Yesterday I received an email that I was pulled off the waitlist and invited for an interview, but have declined as I have already accepted elsewhere. Hope this opens up an interview spot for someone else!!

Just got a call from Anita about getting accepted into the program. She said official emails would be going out within 48 hours.

I was placed on the alternate list. Wish they could tell us more details about the waitlist sooner!

@mlb_25 The deadline is 2-19, but when Anita called she sounded like extending the deadline wouldn't be a problem if I needed more time to decide, so I'm not sure what it is for people who were more on the fence about attending.

Has anyone on the waitlist received an update?

Does anyone know what the tuition cost is for the second and/or third year of DPT at Montana? There's a big $38,000 for the first year of tuition on the website and I was given a $50,000 estimate that includes tuition, rent, books, travel, etc. for the first 9 months, but I'm wondering what happens to my debt after that.

Does anyone know what the tuition cost is for the second and/or third year of DPT at Montana? There's a big $38,000 for the first year of tuition on the website and I was given a $50,000 estimate that includes tuition, rent, books, travel, etc. for the first 9 months, but I'm wondering what happens to my debt after that.
It should be about the same for the final two years.