Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

University of Montana clinical PhD?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by biogirl215, May 4, 2007.

1. biogirl215

I was just curious as to your thoughts regarding the quality of this program.

Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JockNerd

Psychology Student
    I applied to it this past year. I like the program and someone there was doing my area of research. I ended up withdrawing from the interview, though, when I got in at a school higher on my list.

It's kind of isolated. I don't think they have an airport-- I was told that the best way to get there would be to drive the whole way (I live in Winnipeg), since I'd just have to rent a car if I flew into Denver anyhow.

Not much for diversity or multiculturalism in the area (so I was told by my prospective prof), so your practicums might suffer a bit due to that.

Financial situation is good. I'd have had full funding and was told that everyone there does, too.

4. Ollie123

Psychology Student
    Its not a bad school, but as was mentioned, it is isolated. Not for city people, but I'm flexible so I applied.

Its heavy clinical training, at least as far as PhD programs go. There are very few grants in the entire department, which is bad news if you are into research.

I decided I'd rather not attend even if I wasn't accepted elsewhere, but that was only because I had doubts of my POI getting tenured given his current research seems small-scale, undirected, and one is even purely qualitative! They also have no physio equipment. At all.

It wasn't for me, but despite the above it does seem a solid program overall. If you want to teach at a top-tier research university I'd look elsewhere. If you want to practice or teach at 4 year schools I think you could do a lot worse. It also has one of thehighest acceptance rates of the places I applied, so it isn't too bad to get into. I think it loses a lot of prime candidates because of the location, which is a shame.

5. LadyInRed