University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx by mail

slightly dizzy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waiting patiently for my "save the date" letter from UNMC.
Thought I would start a new class thread, anyone else applying to the Med Center this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I would start a new class thread, anyone else applying to the Med Center this cycle?

Good luck! UNMC is a great school, but there aren't a lot of Nebraska people here. There are a few current UNMC students here on the boards... I know of three. And I used to be there a few years ago...

I go to Creighton, but as I said in another thread, UNMC has awesome facilities now...

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Creighton, but as I said in another thread, UNMC has awesome facilities now...

I interviewed last year and they were still finishing the new building. Have you gotten to see it? How do the facilities compare with those at Creighton?

Good luck!!! I'm at UNMC now and the new building is great! Keep us posted on your interview status! :xf:

Honestly, we just got back from break and I've been pretty distracted with school, so I haven't heard anything about interviews. We interviewed in March last year. Hope that helps!

The interviews are usually sometime in late February or early March. I would say, between Valentine's day and the first week of March. And I think they have always been on a Thursday...

Last year, interviews were on Friday Feb. 28th (I remember because it was my dad's birthday!). I'm hoping someone has heard what the date is this year... anyone??? I'm trying to plan a trip out for my dad's 60th birthday the last weekend in February, but told him I'm not going to commit to anything till I hear from the Med Center... it is so hard being patient some times!!!

Ok, save the date finally came!!! Friday Feb 27, alternate (blizzard!) date of March 6.

Interview invite finally arrived! Anyone else interviewing with the Med Center this year????

I received a letter yesterday about an interview. I am thrilled! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's my first time interviewing and I'm at 8:30.
What about you??

Good luck to both of you! :) Most UNMC COP faculty are very nice. Not all, though... and there is an longstanding tradition among (some) UNMC current students (who will be leading you around) to scare the applicants just a wee bit. Don't listen to them, it's an awesome place. :)

It's my first time interviewing and I'm at 8:30.
What about you??

I'm not in till after lunch... like I'l be able to eat! This is my second time applying. My interview went well last year, very laid back.... but I got the impression that since I'm a non-traditional student they wanted me to have my degree. Hoping :xf::xf::xf: for better luck this go round!

Good luck to you!

Tomorrow is the big day, hope you are all ready - wish it was going to be warmer!

So, how did it go? Good luck to all of you! :)

Good day! I got a tour of the new building, WOW! what an improvement! I really hadn't realized how behind the program was, in terms of facilities, until I interviewed at other schools this month. Access to the new building puts the program on equal footing with any of the others I've gotten to look at.

Since I interviewed last year I had some idea of what to expect for the interview itself and the essay, but was still nervous - right now this is my first choice (the "don't have to sell the house, make my husband find a new job and put the kids in new schools" choice"). A new twist this year was that we got "carded". Needed to show ID which was then photocopied, we needed to sign it and then have our picture taken. When I asked about it, I was told that there was a problem with people having someone else do the interview for them... (clever, now why didn't I think of that! Drats, too darn honest for my own good!)

Now I just have to wait and hope...on the plus side, I have other offers on the table now - so, even if we need to move, I'll be starting somewhere this fall!

Good day! I got a tour of the new building, WOW! what an improvement! I really hadn't realized how behind the program was, in terms of facilities, until I interviewed at other schools this month. Access to the new building puts the program on equal footing with any of the others I've gotten to look at.

Since I interviewed last year I had some idea of what to expect for the interview itself and the essay, but was still nervous - right now this is my first choice (the "don't have to sell the house, make my husband find a new job and put the kids in new schools" choice"). A new twist this year was that we got "carded". Needed to show ID which was then photocopied, we needed to sign it and then have our picture taken. When I asked about it, I was told that there was a problem with people having someone else do the interview for them... (clever, now why didn't I think of that! Drats, too darn honest for my own good!)

Now I just have to wait and hope...on the plus side, I have other offers on the table now - so, even if we need to move, I'll be starting somewhere this fall!
I will try to stop by and take a look at the new building when I am in town in May. Do you mean that new medical building right next to college of pharmacy? I think it was in the last alumni newsletter, though there has been so much construction around that campus lately... maybe you won't have to sit in the old auditorium which is more than 100 years old, always freezing cold in the winter, made some people dizzy, and made my back hurt (I am too tall to fit it straight - my knees hurt then, and my back hurt when I tried to sit sideways).

I heard that the applicant pool didn't really change much, and the number of applicants is about the same as before, so good luck to you!

I'm a P1 at UNMC this year. It is awesome you guys! The Sorrell Center is amazing...24 hour access with you student ID card. You can get some severe studying done in that place. If you guys have ANY questions at all ask me or send me a message. I'd love to help anybody out as I was just in your shoes a year ago (yes, time flies can't believe it's already been a year).

FYI: I got my acceptance letter last year on Friday, April 4th. It was in a big brown envelope. The next month of waiting is tough but you will be fine. Again if you guys have any questions or want advice or opinions on anything just let me know. Good luck and I hope you guys get here next year!

I'm so trying to be patient. I have another week before U of Co wants a deposit, but don't expect to hear back from the Med Center by then. May have to pony up the $ just to make sure I have some options if I don't get in (again...).

I'm spending my spring break working on the house, in case we need to sell and move, but am really trying to remain positive. If I do get in, my house will be in great shape for the big old drunken graduation party that I'm having!

Good luck! From what I can recall, they usually send letters right around spring break time, about three-four weeks after they interview, though some people do hear earlier, some later...

Congrats! I thought it was interesting that you didn't get an interview at Creighton, but got into UNMC. Sounds like a great situation for you. Good luck.

I did interview at Creighton, was rejected after the interview. I was with a pretty intimidating group, several people of masters already and even one person with a doctorate... left there feeling fairly inadequate! Oh well, don't have to move (sell the house, change the kids schools, make my husband find a new job, etc. etc.) and dropping a lot less $. Plus the improvement made to the program since the new dean came last year are pretty darn impressive.

I'm really happy and exited. I'm sure my family will be thrilled, although I can hear my kindergartener now... "but mama, I wanted to move to Florida so we could go to Disney every weekend!"

I did interview at Creighton, was rejected after the interview. I was with a pretty intimidating group, several people of masters already and even one person with a doctorate... left there feeling fairly inadequate! Oh well, don't have to move (sell the house, change the kids schools, make my husband find a new job, etc. etc.) and dropping a lot less $. Plus the improvement made to the program since the new dean came last year are pretty darn impressive.

I'm really happy and exited. I'm sure my family will be thrilled, although I can hear my kindergartener now... "but mama, I wanted to move to Florida so we could go to Disney every weekend!"

You should be thrilled. Congrats.

You should be thrilled. Congrats.

Thanks!

I was hoping to hear from the few other SDNers that applied this year, although I'm in Omaha so anyone further away may not hear until later.

Congratulations! You should be very happy. :)

UNMC is a great school, with very, very nice staff and some wonderful faculty. Also, some of the alumni are quite impressive. And tend to stick around. Here, on the East Coast, where there are so few of us, when you meet someone else who is UNMC grad you instantly feel a connection, and that has helped me to start my career. :)