--- University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) Class of 2013 ---

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderfulname

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got the acceptance letter. I am wondering if there is anyone who was accepted there too. We can discuss places to live in Omaha, things to submit after the acceptance ... etc.

EDIT:

SDN members who got accepted by UNMC so far (those I know of at least..):

benhawk
LTS Weeeeeee!!
mcnulty
oneandonylo
RxMD
wonderfulname

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
congratulations! i interviewed on 12-12 and I'm still waiting to hear back....:xf:

do you mind sharing your stats and your interview experience?

congratulations! i interviewed on 12-12 and I'm still waiting to hear back....:xf:

do you mind sharing your stats and your interview experience?

PMed. Hey, let me know when you get accepted by UNMC, so you can join me in this thread. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to apply for financial aid at UNMC. I followed the link www.unmc.edu/financialaid and the instructions. I now finished with the financial aid application there, but there were no places where I needed to put my parental info there. :confused:

I also went to FAFSA website and did the dependency worksheet. It seems like I am classified as "independent." So I do not need to include my parental data there either. :confused:

So... How does UNMC know how much financial aids I should receive from them if they do not know about my parents' income (my parents will still pay for most of my tuition). Do they send out the aid only based on GPA/MCAT scores? And if that's true... above what GPA/MCAT scores will I receive some financial aid from the school?

Anyone knows?

actually I think that professional students are considered independents and they don't take your parents financial aid information...at least I think I remember some financial aid officer telling me that once.

Are there any other acceptances out there for UNMC school of medicine?? C'mon...don't be shy :) Join the thread! Anybody who interviewed on December 12th still waiting to hear back??

FYI

I've been gone for a few days, but I sent an email to Gigi last Thursday and this is the response that I received:

"we shouldn't be sending any acceptances for at least another week,...We've been on a break for the holidays. "

actually I think that professional students are considered independents and they don't take your parents financial aid information...at least I think I remember some financial aid officer telling me that once.

I called them and they told me that if I want scholarships as the only financial aids from them, I do not need to submit FAFSA. They give out the amout of scholarships for the 1st year based on some ranking system (GPA+MCAT+Ecs+interviews).

Are there any other acceptances out there for UNMC school of medicine?? C'mon...don't be shy :) Join the thread! Anybody who interviewed on December 12th still waiting to hear back??

I think there are only a few people here are from NE. I know of 2 people accepted to UNMC before me in SDN. They did not post anything here. It's either because they probably will not attend UNMC or because they do not know of this thread yet.

My guess for your would be that you will not hear back from them until the end of Jan. But again, it's my guess.

wonderfulname,

Just curious as to when the acceptance letters are dated, and when you actually receive the packets in the mail. You have a post on 12/22 saying you just received an acceptance letter and another post stating you were accepted on 12/18. Was the letter dated 12/18 and you received it in the mail on 12/22?

Thanks!!

wonderfulname,

Just curious as to when the acceptance letters are dated, and when you actually receive the packets in the mail. You have a post on 12/22 saying you just received an acceptance letter and another post stating you were accepted on 12/18. Was the letter dated 12/18 and you received it in the mail on 12/22?

Thanks!!

I got my acceptance letter on 12/19. The letter was sent out on 12/18. I guess they sent out letters every Thursday, except holidays. If you live in NE, you will probably receive the letter on a Friday like me.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :thumbup: Good Luck! :luck:

I am in-state. My letter was dated the 15th and I got it the 20th and I only live about 15 minutes from UNMC. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to those accepted. i am a M2 at UNMC and love it, especially the new building! feel free to PM me if you have any questions about UNMC and enjoy your last few months of freedom (no matter what the urge, do not try to study!)

I got my letter on the january 23rd and it was dated the 22nd, and I live in Lincoln - props to my prompt postal lady. I went to UNL and majored in biology...

For those of you who got accepted:

Anyone got any additional letters about scholarship offers, orientation date, or fast start yet?

On the day I got accepted, I only got the acceptance letter + UNMC financial aids online application form + immunization form + some minor paperwork. I only submitted my $100 deposit, LOI, and the financial aids form. I did not sumbit my transcript and the immunization form, do you guys think that's probably why I didnt get any further info yet?

Last edited:
I didn't know this forum existed!!

I was accepted in December, am OOS, and REALLY want to go to UNMC! I've spoken go Gigi about a non-resident tuition differential ... anyone else know any information about that? Thats pretty much the only way I could afford to attend UNMC due to the extreme difference in OOS vs IS tuition rates. In the past most, if not all, OOS received the differential, but due to the hard economic times she said that there may be some different methods of awarding them this year. Hay anyone here received one or know any more info?

Either way, congrats to everyone!! UNMC is a great school and nice fit for me! I hope I'll see you all there this fall!

I didn't know this forum existed!!

I was accepted in December, am OOS, and REALLY want to go to UNMC! I've spoken go Gigi about a non-resident tuition differential ... anyone else know any information about that? Thats pretty much the only way I could afford to attend UNMC due to the extreme difference in OOS vs IS tuition rates. In the past most, if not all, OOS received the differential, but due to the hard economic times she said that there may be some different methods of awarding them this year. Hay anyone here received one or know any more info?

Either way, congrats to everyone!! UNMC is a great school and nice fit for me! I hope I'll see you all there this fall!

We got accepted on the same day! :thumbup:

Anyways... I am IS, so I cannot help you...

I apologize in advance for posting this in your class thread, but as an applicant to UNMC, does anyone here know much about the application process, especially you in-staters? I'm OOS, and have some family in Omaha, but otherwise am kinda in the dark other than what the official company line from the adcom is. Specifically, do acceptance letters go out all the way up until March 15th?

Thanks, and again sorry for hijacking a class thread like this.

Gigi told me that we won't recieve any additional information until june. So until then :sleep: and :cool: ... these smilies are great.

I apologize in advance for posting this in your class thread, but as an applicant to UNMC, does anyone here know much about the application process, especially you in-staters? I'm OOS, and have some family in Omaha, but otherwise am kinda in the dark other than what the official company line from the adcom is. Specifically, do acceptance letters go out all the way up until March 15th?

Thanks, and again sorry for hijacking a class thread like this.

It's ok. I think your are right. They send out acceptance letters every Thursday from Dec. to Mar. although I do not know if they send out more acceptance letters earlier in the game and less acceptance later in the game...

I wish that you will hear good news from UNMC soon, so you can join us. :luck:

Gigi told me that we won't recieve any additional information until june. So until then :sleep: and :cool: ... these smilies are great.

Ya... I know... :sleep: Good to know that I am not the only one waiting for more info...

Did you turn in your immunization forms and transcripts yet? Is UNMC your 1st choice or are you still waiting to hear from other schools?

Anyways... Congrats :thumbup:

I've yet to turn in my transcripts or immunizations. I'm considering flying out to Albany for an interview, but I don't know, I'm not sure how good of a school Albany is and whether or not I would like it. It's Albany Medical Center and not a SUNY school (I think there's a big difference). I'm about 95% sure that I'll end up at UNMC.

By the way, is anyone else really really fanatically excited about going to med school?

I guess I do know a little bit about the admissions process for in-staters. Letters usually go out until march 15ths. Students that the admissions committee aren't sure about are usually decided upon at the end, at which point they are either granted deferred entrance, given a spot on the wait list, or given a try-again letter. The deferred students are also on the wait list, usually in the upper quartile. Deferred students usually get bumped from the wait list and end up going for the year they applied for, but students just on the plain wait list, well... don't get too excited.

I've yet to turn in my transcripts or immunizations. I'm considering flying out to Albany for an interview, but I don't know, I'm not sure how good of a school Albany is and whether or not I would like it. It's Albany Medical Center and not a SUNY school (I think there's a big difference). I'm about 95% sure that I'll end up at UNMC.

By the way, is anyone else really really fanatically excited about going to med school?

I think Albany is a private medical school and is ranked lower than UNMC. If you have the $$ and want to check out New York, go visit it. I did not interview there, so I cannot give you futher info.

So far, I am not 100% sure if I will end up at UNMC either. In May, I hope I do not have to choose between a good school like UNMC and other good schools. :(

I was really really exited way back when I got accepted. Now, it's not so much... I wish I can attend the class already. Dont feel like doing anything right now except waiting for summer and then med school. :rolleyes:

BTW, we are all from Lincoln! Are you a senior in UNL? What's your plan for this summer? When are you planning to move to Omaha?

Whoa that's crazy we're all from lincoln. I graduated in may 2008. Right now I'm working at an ethanol plant, and probably will remain doing so until school starts. I might move in with an M2 or with another M1 (if he get's accepted), and I probably won't move down until august.

Are you a senior at UNL? I bet we had a class together if you are.

Way to go all who have been accepted!! It sound like most the questions have been answered pretty well. I'm a nontrad...I've lived in Omaha for over 20 years now, so if you have any specific questions about the area, I'm more than willing to help out.

Right now, I'm a grad student at UNO... I have yet to start writing my thesis, and I HAVE to be done two weeks before classes start. Any other MAV's???

Anyone else want to have a SDN gettogether and go on and on and on and on about how excited we are about being (almost) M1's????:p:p

Whoa that's crazy we're all from lincoln. I graduated in may 2008. Right now I'm working at an ethanol plant, and probably will remain doing so until school starts. I might move in with an M2 or with another M1 (if he get's accepted), and I probably won't move down until august.

Are you a senior at UNL? I bet we had a class together if you are.

Good for you... I just cannot imagine myself keep working until school starts. I gotta do something fun before some intensive studying...:p

I probably won't move down until August either, but I probably will go there to check out some nice apartments.

No, I graduated 1 year ago and have a few part-time jobs.

Way to go all who have been accepted!! It sound like most the questions have been answered pretty well. I'm a nontrad...I've lived in Omaha for over 20 years now, so if you have any specific questions about the area, I'm more than willing to help out.

Right now, I'm a grad student at UNO... I have yet to start writing my thesis, and I HAVE to be done two weeks before classes start. Any other MAV's???

Anyone else want to have a SDN gettogether and go on and on and on and on about how excited we are about being (almost) M1's????:p:p

I am sorry that you have to finish writing your thesis before school starts. Looks like I am the only one here who can actually go traveling this summer. :rolleyes:

LTS, do you know of any nice apartments near UNMC? I prefer one within walking distance. Also, would you recommend me a few restaurants around UNMC (maybe within 20 min of driving and less than $20 per meal)? I like delicious food :oops:

Thnks, wonderful. As far as apartments within walking distance, there are a lot of houses and duplexes converted into apts within walking distance. I don't think there are any big apartment complexes near UNMC. My wife and I live in a little apartment building with one bedroom apartments - we pay 535 per month which I NEVER complain about.

As far as food...hmmmm. I think the best restaurant near unmc is Katies (greek). Zios is the best pizza place in Omaha, and Lo solo mio is awsome for italian food. :highfive:

I was accepted into a BS/MD program, sort of...

I go to Chadron State College for four years, and then UNMC.. ugh I want to go now ;)

I'm only a high school senior, so I'm a youngen compared to all of you guys :p

College would have been a 100x cooler if I knew I had a spot reserved for me in med school.

I go to Chadron State College for four years, and then UNMC.. ugh I want to go now ;)

Congrats! :thumbup:

So you have made up your mind to accept the scholarship? Definately ask them if you could just drop the RHOP program and go to a different med school or a different career path if you change your mind in the future.

As long as you get 3.5GPA+ and 30MCAT+, getting into UNMC is not that hard if you are NE resident. I think UNMC accepts 2 out of 5 people who are IS and who interview there. (And I think UNMC interviews close to 80% of the IS applicants)

College would have been a 100x cooler if I knew I had a spot reserved for me in med school.

I agree... But I probably won't study hard in College if I know I have a spot reserved for me in med school. I am the lazy kind :p.

I know! That's what I'm worried about, but yes you can drop RHOP at any time, but I plan on going to UNMC anyway.. I love Nebraska :p crazy I know..

And yeahh it's pretty sweet, I guess I don't know how sweet yet because I haven't gone through the whole process yet..

But all I have to get is 3.5 gpa in college, and score a 24 on the mcat, so that's pretty sweet =]

I'm excited to get started!!

Congrats to everybody who got accepted!

I checked out a place at 50th and Cass yesterday. It wasn't too far from campus (about 12 blocks) and it seemed like a nice place to live. What is everyone else considering as far as living arrangements are concerned?

I guess I do know a little bit about the admissions process for in-staters. Letters usually go out until march 15ths. Students that the admissions committee aren't sure about are usually decided upon at the end, at which point they are either granted deferred entrance, given a spot on the wait list, or given a try-again letter. The deferred students are also on the wait list, usually in the upper quartile. Deferred students usually get bumped from the wait list and end up going for the year they applied for, but students just on the plain wait list, well... don't get too excited.

After waiting and waiting, I finally got some mail today (Tuesday). I'm in the "don't get too excited" category.

Does anyone know how much the waitlist really moves or how long it is? The letter didn't mention anything about quartiles, it said I'm in the top half. Does this mean I'm in the 2nd quartile?

Thanks

If anyone is looking to buy a house, my roommate and her parents are looking to sell ours. Would be a great place to get three other students together (that's what's been done for the last 7 years). They're the only owners, and have had two daughters make through UNMC, only med students have lived here, including the same 3 for the last 3 years.

I don't know the square footage, but 4br/3bath (essentially 2 master bedrooms - one upstairs, one down), newer house (built about 01-02), 2 car garage, open floor plan upstairs for the kitchen/dining/living room, located at about 42nd and Center, a 6-7 minute drive to UNMC (I've gotten there in 4 once though), and about 90 seconds to the VA (which is great when you're an M3 doing rotations there). There are several parks nearby and the Field Club trail (for walking/jogging) is pretty much across the street.

PM your email address and I can forward it on to my roommate since I'm not actually involved in the sale...

are there any high rises around the UNMC area?

Which BS/MD program did you get accepted too? Congrats

Who's going to the phi rho thing this thursday?

Anyone wanna rent a 2BR UNMC apartment with me?
I was looking for a 1BR apartment but it's pricy (630 a month..)
I think we will each be paying around 400-450 a month.
I am planning to move in around early or mid June.

PM me if you are interested.

PS: Anyone knows how much I will have to pay for the student parking if I don't live in one of the UNMC's apartments?

Last edited:
I'm in top half and haven't been contacted yet. Anyone hear anything about movement?

Anyone knows how much COA or tuition will be for this year? I have not heard anything at all from them...

Thanks!

:D

I finally got the word that I don't have to finish my thesis for my masters's program before they let me in!! I will have to write it next summer... so, I am finally feeling the excitement of med school. Next month, my friends, we will stressed beyond belief in structure and development... NICE!!

Does UNMC have a suggested list of textbooks? From what I'm getting, its just do whatever works for you. Any help would be appreciated.

Facebook... search UNMC 2013...someone has set up a group there for our class.

peace and love

:D

Does UNMC have a suggested list of textbooks? From what I'm getting, its just do whatever works for you. Any help would be appreciated.

peace and love

Clinically oriented Anatomy is the suggested anatomy book. I liked it, but it's not essential.

I think it's worth buying a Netter's. I don't know if they still do it, but I think when you signed up for AMA you got a copy...might have been AMSA. One gives you a Netter's, the other gives you a Stedtman's dictionary (also helpful).

The embryology book is NOT worth it. Bringing colored pencils or a set of hiliters with at least 5 colors...worth it. Spending lots of time with Dr. Turpen's slides on Blackboard...bankable points.

Some people swear by the BRS anatomy book by Chung, but I hated it. And it's about 8 orders of magnitude too detailed for real Step 1 prep.

Oh, and make sure you know what an ice pick is...there were some people in my class who didn't. It comes up on exams.

Bottom line, by books you're going to use. Otherwise you're wasting your money.

Hello all,

I'm looking for a little advice regarding housing. I'm a 4th year optometry student and I'll be doing my last rotation for school from February to May in Bellevue. Any recommendations for short term housing?

Thanks!