University of New Englan--what is so good about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nido

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to talk about how good the school is. I read their catalog and website, but I am not sure what is so impressive? Except for the Lobster and oceanview. Can anyone tell me what do they like about the school? ie curriculum, enviroment, and anything? Thank you!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

UNE rated in the top 50 schools for primary care education in US News and World Report. They ranked at #50, but this is still a pretty big deal as far as recognition goes!

The school accepts a large number of non-traditional students. I also think that the admissions committee looks for students who are not so intent numbers (i.e. gunners). If you are accepted at UNE, you can be assured that your interviewers thought you had what it takes to be a doc. The course load is rigorous, however every effort is made to help students pass. Those who don't pass the class the first time through are given the opportunity to retest within two weeks. I have seen how my classmates have pitched in to help those who were retesting. We had a few students who retested in Gross Anatomy a couple of weeks ago. A sign-up sheet was sent around our class for anyone who could tutor those that were retesting. The response was phenomenal. I would say that 75% of the class helped out. Remember that other classes were still going on at the same time, yet these people took time out of their schedules to help their fellow classmates in need. I have heard it said many times since I started here that no one fails at UNE unless they choose to.

Don't knock the location of UNE either. It is beautiful, even in winter. There is a lot to do in Portland which is only 30 minutes away. I don't know what an average rent is in Philly, but I pay $425 for a nice roomy one bedroom here.

It all comes down to what you are looking for. I hope that I have given you a better idea about the advantages at UNE. Good luck in your quest to be a doc.

Renee

Reading info about NECOM lead me to the conclusion that they prefer applicants who will dedicate themselves to practicing in New England. Is this true? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
The big joke among students at UNE is that we are ALL going to practice in rural Maine as family practice physicians. It all comes down to playing the game. Tell them what they want to hear, you know? I know that many of my classmates won't be sticking around Maine or New England for that matter. Personally I am on an Army scholarship, so I will not be hanging around after graduation.

Renee

OK. So I understand how that game goes but I'm sure the admissions committee is fully aware of it.

I'm from the Midwest and can't imagine staying out east once i'm ready to practice if I ever get into medical and it happens to be out east. I don't know if I want to lie about that. It just wouldn't feel natural. I guess I just shouldn't even apply there then. But it does sound like a great place.

I wasn't telling you to lie, just to tell the admissions committee what they want to hear. Of course they know that most people won't stay around. You will need to be willing to sing the praises of whatever medical school you interview with. The same thing goes for filling out all those applications -- if all applicants who gain admission were as fantastic as their applications make them sound.....WOW!

The things I like about UNE are:
the school's strong reputation for OMM
the school's good residency placement record
the fact that you can schedule your 4th year rotations any where you please
it has a good class size (115)
the students are happy to be there.
the fact that they teach a nutrition class their curriculum compares very well with UNC
they have state-of-the art teaching facilities
they are a NCAA Div III school with some sports teams - gives it more of a "university feel" than other DO schools I've visited
they have an awesome gym and they have a cafeteria

Phillip Snider, MS, RD
UNECOM '04

I read in UNECOM's catalog recently that they only take 2% of their students from abroad. Is this true? I live in Alaska, but I grew up in Connecticut, and would really like to be back in New England for a while (family there, etc.)
I am also a non-trad, which makes the school appealing. Any advice?

I was living in Texas when I applied to UNECOM. My husband is from Vermont, though, and we were receptive to moving to the Northeast. I made mention of this fact in my secondary. There is a girl in my class from Washington State, a guy from Florida, one from the midwest somewhere, one guy from California, and I'm sure there are more. When I interviewed, there were about eight of us, and I would say that at least five of us were from out of state. Out of that five, three of us were accepted. So, go ahead and apply; make mention of your desire to come back to New England in your secondary. Good luck.

Renee

UNECOM is in a wonderful area! I'm a native of southern Maine and UNECOM has strong support from Mainers ect. It's also Maine's only medical school. Every student I've known from UNE had nothing but positive things to say about it. One of the reasons I'm interested in the school.

I'm from NC and was accepted.

------------------
Phillip Snider, MS, RD
UNECOM '04
Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.

Dear Philip,

My name is Matt and I believe we spoke at your interview. I am glad you have decided to come to UNECOM and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about housing, orientation or anything of that nature. Please feel free to drop me an email.

Take care and enjoy your last few months of freedom!

Sincerely,
Matt, MS1 UNECOM