University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here this cycle. Does anyone know if taking a gap year after college is considered a gap in education (on Question #2 of the secondary)?

First time DO applicant here. Would love to attend this school as my Dad grew up around here! Good luck everyone!

Anyone mind posting the secondary question? Haven't submitted yet and plan to this week

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Finally just submitted my primary to UNECOM! This is my first choice school, and has been for years. I live about 45 minutes from the school, but not in Maine, so I can answer any questions about the area. It's absolutely beautiful there

Finally just submitted my primary to UNECOM! This is my first choice school, and has been for years. I live about 45 minutes from the school, but not in Maine, so I can answer any questions about the area. It's absolutely beautiful there

If granted an interview, and I fly in (from southwest USA) to a large airport somewhere in the area, could public transport get me to the university? Trying to save as much $ as possible.

If granted an interview, and I fly in (from southwest USA) to a large airport somewhere in the area, could public transport get me to the university? Trying to save as much $ as possible.
I believe the Amtrak goes from Boston and Portland and stops almost on the UNE campus. I'm just not sure how close the Amtrack is from the airports in those cities

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the Amtrak goes from Boston and Portland and stops almost on the UNE campus. I'm just not sure how close the Amtrack is from the airports in those cities

You can take a bus from the airport to south station in Boston--- its fairly easy, cost about $3 each way, and is about 2o min

UNE is actually only 1.5 hours from Boston so if you can rent a car it may actually be more affordable than amtrack

How does this school look at OOS?

Was talking to a doctor at work that is making me want to throw my hat in the ring. Apparently clinical education is really consistent.

AACOMAS verified 6/16, Received this morning at 8:45:

"Thank you for your interest in the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM). Your AACOMAS application has been received by the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions and we will begin our initial review of your application. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing during this initial review stage."

Baby steps...

Reactions: 1 user
AACOMAS verified 6/16, Received this morning at 8:45:

"Thank you for your interest in the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM). Your AACOMAS application has been received by the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions and we will begin our initial review of your application. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing during this initial review stage."

Baby steps...
Haha, yep, got the same email!

I've been told that UNE asks how many other schools you have applied to. Anybody else think this is a scary question? I'm especially worried if they ask MD/DO because I applied to so many more MDs than DOs it might look like a fall back.

OMG, I didn't realize I had to go to AAMC and specifically tell them to release my MCAT score to AACOMAS! Anyone have a guess as to how long it might take AACOMAS to update my app?

OMG, I didn't realize I had to go to AAMC and specifically tell them to release my MCAT score to AACOMAS! Anyone have a guess as to how long it might take AACOMAS to update my app?
What? Where are you seeing this?

I just got an email from UNE saying they didn't have my official MCAT scores, which shocked me. Checked my AACOMAS app and it's just the unofficial report I input. You have to go to the AAMC MCAT score report website, up top is "My Reports," "Send scores electronically," select the AACOMAS.

There is one sentence when filling out the app that mentions this. I really wish it had been more explicit!

Weird, I never saw that either, thanks for the catch. I didn't get the email yet, but hopefully the official score sends before they start to review my app.

I didn't get the email yet,

The email itself was boilerplate, but from the wording it sounds like a human being was actually looking at it. Even after it's updated, I'm probably back to the bottom of the pile :(

I would say it took about a week for mine to get to AACOMAS. But I did mine way back in May so idk the time-frame now. Nonetheless it should still be quick since its electronic.

Applying here this cycle. Does anyone know if taking a gap year after college is considered a gap in education (on Question #2 of the secondary)?
A gap in education is not a gap after college, it is a gap between, say, years 2 and 3 of college where you were not in education or an internship or whatever.

How does this school look at OOS?

Was talking to a doctor at work that is making me want to throw my hat in the ring. Apparently clinical education is really consistent.
We take a lot of OOS and a few Canadian students- the regional bias is a bit overblown and largely a result of self-selection.

Reactions: 1 users
We take a lot of OOS and a few Canadian students- the regional bias is a bit overblown and largely a result of self-selection.

Thanks for the help, I got one last question.

A big draw to this school for me is the neuroscience department and the possibility to get involved.

How receptive is the department to OMS students getting involved during pre-clinical years?

Thanks again :)

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask.
May I ask your affiliation with the school?

On the lighter side of things, if I end up going here I really want to do some sailing. Is it super atypical for med students to have any involvement in undergrad student clubs; will I be the weird older guy hanging out with a bunch of kids?

Thanks for the help, I got one last question.

A big draw to this school for me is the neuroscience department and the possibility to get involved.

How receptive is the department to OMS students getting involved during pre-clinical years?

Thanks again :)
Very.

May I ask your affiliation with the school?

On the lighter side of things, if I end up going here I really want to do some sailing. Is it super atypical for med students to have any involvement in undergrad student clubs; will I be the weird older guy hanging out with a bunch of kids?
I'm a student, OMS???

Dunno about undergrad clubs- haven't really heard of anyone trying. But we do have a sailing club on the undergrad side of things I'm pretty sure, and I'm sure they'd let you join.

Of course, you could always see if any other OMS students are into sailing and try to work something out with the undergrad club in regard to equipment sharing :thinking:

Anyone know when they usually send out secondaries ?

Just got an email saying "I don't meet the minimums" For application? Isn't it a 2.8 and 20 on the MCAT, which I'm above. I don't have my prerequisites done yet but I'll be finished when I graduate in spring 2017 and before i matriculate. what the heck

Just got an email saying "I don't meet the minimums" For application? Isn't it a 2.8 and 20 on the MCAT, which I'm above. I don't have my prerequisites done yet but I'll be finished when I graduate in spring 2017 and before i matriculate. what the heck

I'm a little worried about this myself as some of my coursework is borderline (sociology instead of a second psych and using writing intensive non-english classes as a second semester of english)

I'm a little worried about this myself as some of my coursework is borderline (sociology instead of a second psych and using writing intensive non-english classes as a second semester of english)

They changed the second psych requirement back to behavioral health so sociology will be fine.

http://www.une.edu/com/admissions/criteria-and-procedures

• Behavioral Science Prerequisite (previously psychology prerequisite): Applicants must have 6 credits of behavioral science (completed by January 1, 2017). Coursework can include psychology, sociology and anthropology.

Last edited:
I still don't have 6 credits of "English" I have 4 and 8 credits of writing intensive classes. I am planning on taking english in the spring but they require the prereqs to be filled by Jan 2017, which is weird

part of the reason i want to attend here is the pictures of the campus, BEAUTIFUL!

secondary received! maybe they saw my post above ;)

secondary received! maybe they saw my post above ;)

+1 did you happen to get this prompt too? I already completed all the pre reqs

Our preliminary review of your AACOMAS application indicates that you have outstanding prerequisite coursework, an in-progress undergraduate degree, have not completed the Biochemistry pre-matriculation requirement with a “C” or better, or have completed part of the Biochemistry pre-matruiculation requirement due to quarter hour/semester hour conversion. Due to these unfullfilled or in-progress requirements, any action on your application will be considered conditional until these requirements are fulfilled. You can still be offered an interview and acceptance with conditions on your application, however, you will be required to prove the completion of any outstanding requirements prior to matriculation if offered acceptance.

Our preliminary review of your AACOMAS application indicates that you have outstanding prerequisite coursework, an in-progress undergraduate degree, have not completed the Biochemistry pre-matriculation requirement with a “C” or better, or have completed part of the Biochemistry pre-matruiculation requirement due to quarter hour/semester hour conversion. Due to these unfullfilled or in-progress requirements, any action on your application will be considered conditional until these requirements are fulfilled. You can still be offered an interview and acceptance with conditions on your application, however, you will be required to prove the completion of any outstanding requirements prior to matriculation if offered acceptance.

nope, if you completed all the pre-reqs then give them an email or a call, might have been a mistake?

Weird, I got the secondary fully expecting them to question my use of a stats class (counted as writing at my college) as an english credit, but I didn't have this prompt.

I got this prompt as well, and have completed all the pre-req course work. I just emailed them to see what's going on.