University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! End of September interview. Medium gpa, low MCAT, no DO shadowing/letter but let none of that stop me.... I had such a positive experience at my interview, loved everything about the school. As for the interview it was very laid back but I also got some more difficult scenario type of questions so be prepared for anything!
Care to spill what some of difficult scenario type questions were?

Members don't see this ad.

Any peeps interviewing 11/8 with me?

Reactions: 5 users
II!!!!!!!!! Complete 10/28! What a fast turnaround time! gahhhhh I can't wait!!!

LizzyM 67-68, OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 10/4 and accepted this week. Withdrawing my acceptance, so I hope it goes to one of you!

Complete mid-August, Interviewed 10/4, OOS (from the South, so way OOS- had never been that far North!)

Man, almost a month for a decision?

I'm interviewing 11/8 in the afternoon.
What time are the afternoon interviews done with?

I was one of the first to interview, and in the last tour group- I was done by 330p. But, I am pretty sure they say to plan to be there until 4p.

I got in a few weeks ago, interviewed early September, this school was my top choice, will be going :)

Stats:
3.8 gpa
3.87 sgpa
502 mcat

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted this morning :) Interviewed on 10/13

This whole cycle has been surreal for me. Gonna be tough picking from among schools I've really loved.
Congrats!! Anyone else still waiting to hear back after interviewing on 10/13?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back as well! It's been three weeks so I hope any day now.

If I have been complete since August with no word should I just assume it's a silent rejection?

If I have been complete since August with no word should I just assume it's a silent rejection?

I mean....I see a lot of these types of posts. Does it matter? Are you going to do anything differently then if say you still had a dog in the race? Apps are a numbers game, your stats might be good enough for ever school you applied to, but it's up to probability some times. And specifically to your question, no I don't think so. I was complete in Aug and got an II 3 weeks ago.

I'm not counting myself out of any schools that I haven't heard back from until I'm outright rejected or May 15 rolls around.

Accepted! End of September interview. Medium gpa, low MCAT, no DO shadowing/letter but let none of that stop me.... I had such a positive experience at my interview, loved everything about the school. As for the interview it was very laid back but I also got some more difficult scenario type of questions so be prepared for anything!

Mind sharing your stats? I have a low MCAT also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy weekend all!

For those who had an interview, congrats. Mine is coming up at this school. Can someone give me the run down of the day? I would love to hear how it went.

Thanks!

Happy weekend all!

For those who had an interview, congrats. Mine is coming up at this school. Can someone give me the run down of the day? I would love to hear how it went.

Thanks!
Very relaxed! You arrive, sit through a very laid-back and informal presentation about the school/curriculum. After that you either sit and wait to be interviewed, or you go on your tour (then switch). Interview is open-file, with one faculty member and one student (at least that's how mine was). Very conversational. They really are just trying to get a feel for who you are, why you want to be an osteopathic physician, and why you want to go to UNE. Best of luck, great school!

As others have mentioned it will be very conversational so just know your application well and be confident, it is pretty low stress. My interview was with a faculty member and a clinician so no student for me. Goodluck

Agree with 12streptests and greentea920, very laid back day as well as interview. Unlike their interviewers I had two faculty members interview me. Definitely know why UNE and why physician. Other than that it was very conversational.

I'm so torn between this school and my state DO school rn. This place was amazing and blew me away

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
do you guys have any recommendations for the city/ area? I wont have much time there, but any good places to see and more importantly where can i get the BEST lobster rolls!?!

Edit: Interviewing on tuesday!

Yep - still waiting to hear. I called last week and Chris in admissions told me they are reviewing applications from the 10/17 interview last week and this week. He said we should hear by the end of this week.

Good luck!

Last edited:
do you guys have any recommendations for the city/ area? I wont have much time there, but any good places to see and more importantly where can i get the BEST lobster rolls!?!

Edit: Interviewing on tuesday!

omg EVENTIDE in portland. that brown butter lobster roll is last meal on earth material! also their clam bake is delish too, complete with steamer clams that I haven't seen on the west coast before (they have this interesting skin you have to peel off, so ask the waitress for tips!).

I'll be in town tomorrow evening and interviewing Wed afternoon if anyone wants to meet up or hangout after the interview PM me.

Still crickets about anyone interviewing on 11/15 with me...starting to think it's all a hoax. Anyone? Anyone??

can anyone who has already interviewed give me an example as to the length? seems like it is going to be conversational based on what everyone here has been saying, but is it long? or like 30-45 mins?

can anyone who has already interviewed give me an example as to the length? seems like it is going to be conversational based on what everyone here has been saying, but is it long? or like 30-45 mins?
I would say between 25-35 minutes. Mine was closer to 25.

I would say between 25-35 minutes. Mine was closer to 25.
awesome, thanks! doesn't seem too bad in that case. I know you obviously can't give away specifics, but was it just basic "know your app and why DO?" kinda deal? or did they throw any curveballs?

awesome, thanks! doesn't seem too bad in that case. I know you obviously can't give away specifics, but was it just basic "know your app and why DO?" kinda deal? or did they throw any curveballs?

There was nothing too crazy in mine. If you go in prepared for standard interview questions, are friendly, and professional you should do fine.

Just be yourself. Unless you can be batman, then be batman.

I don't know that I can't give away specifics, but you pretty much just answered your own question! A very conversational atmosphere with to-the-point questions.

There was nothing too crazy in mine. If you go in prepared for standard interview questions, are friendly, and professional you should do fine.

Just be yourself. Unless you can be batman, then be batman.

bat --batwoman

Interview invite for 11/30!!!! Super excited bc it's my top choice :)

Reactions: 4 users
I have been contemplating if I should submit my secondary for this school. I am a California resident. GPA is 3.0 and MCAT 502. Is it worth it for me to apply? Great extracurriculars, experience in medical field, and letters.

I have been contemplating if I should submit my secondary for this school. I am a California resident. GPA is 3.0 and MCAT 502. Is it worth it for me to apply? Great extracurriculars, experience in medical field, and letters.

They seem to like medical experience and service oriented, go for it!

Boarding my flight to head up to Portland! So excited for tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
omg EVENTIDE in portland. that brown butter lobster roll is last meal on earth material! also their clam bake is delish too, complete with steamer clams that I haven't seen on the west coast before (they have this interesting skin you have to peel off, so ask the waitress for tips!).

You're neglecting to mention the OYSTERS!!!! It isn't called "Eventide Oyster Co." for nothing! MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

How long did it take you guys to hear back after being completed?

Is it true that if you don't have a DO lor, you can talk to DOs after the interview for one?

interviewed here today, thoroughly impressed with everything. The campus is BEAUTIFUL, its nice having undergrad facilities but med school only type buildings. everyone was pretty friendly and got a very non-competitive chill atmosphere vibe from the place, glad I went to the interview, hoping for the best!

Interviewed here today, soooooo laid back omg. My interviewer (just one, but most seemed to have two) was a very sweet old man, sounded exactly like Bernie Sanders lol. He didn't really ask questions so much as just mention something from my app and we'd get to talking. It seemed like he knew my app pretty well too. I feel like it went well, we totally clicked. Technically it was supposed to last half an hour but we definitely went over because he wanted to keep on talking.
The campus is so picturesque it's nuts. Very beautiful. If I get an offer I'm totally going here.
If you have an interview lined up here don't stress, you'll NEVER have a more laid back interview in your life.

Interviewed: 10/5
Accepted: 11/1

This is my top choice school and will be attending! Super excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed here today, soooooo laid back omg. My interviewer (just one, but most seemed to have two) was a very sweet old man, sounded exactly like Bernie Sanders lol. He didn't really ask questions so much as just mention something from my app and we'd get to talking. It seemed like he knew my app pretty well too. I feel like it went well, we totally clicked. Technically it was supposed to last half an hour but we definitely went over because he wanted to keep on talking.
The campus is so picturesque it's nuts. Very beautiful. If I get an offer I'm totally going here.
If you have an interview lined up here don't stress, you'll NEVER have a more laid back interview in your life.

I saw him! I didn't get him, but I got two very nice ladies instead, who were also very sweet! Although the anxiety of the interview made me a motor mouthed blubbering idiot, it wasn't bad. The students there will all tell you not to stress as it's pretty laid back. They're also all very friendly and supportive!! Definitely know your application and be able to show you wanna go there. Beautiful school, great facilities, and lots of options for activities outside of being a student. Only my first interview, but definitely one of my top choices if accepted.

Ps. You get a swag bag :)

I completed my secondary 8/25 and still haven't heard anything... OOS (but Alaska is OOS for every medical school, so...), 3.4, 505.

Any thoughts? Encouraging words... ? :xf:

I completed my secondary 8/25 and still haven't heard anything... OOS (but Alaska is OOS for every medical school, so...), 3.4, 505.

might be worth a call? but i'm guessing they'll say "we're working on it, sit tight".

Absolutely loved the school today during my interview. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The curriculum is awesome and the campus is beautiful. Definitely hoping for good news!

Reactions: 2 users

Actually I do remember that the class of 2020 had someone from Alaska listed in the presentation about where the class came from . The dream is not even close to being dead. Goodluck

OMS-II here, my intro is ~100 messages back so I figured I'd pop in again if anyone has any questions about interviewing, the school, general app cycle questions, etc I'm happy to answer them via PM!

OMS-II here, my intro is ~100 messages back so I figured I'd pop in again if anyone has any questions about interviewing, the school, general app cycle questions, etc I'm happy to answer them via PM!

What is the curriculum like for 2nd year? It wasn't very clear what it's like after neuroanatomy is finished. Obviously CBL is still a thing but what about lectures?

I saw him! I didn't get him, but I got two very nice ladies instead, who were also very sweet! Although the anxiety of the interview made me a motor mouthed blubbering idiot, it wasn't bad. The students there will all tell you not to stress as it's pretty laid back. They're also all very friendly and supportive!! Definitely know your application and be able to show you wanna go there. Beautiful school, great facilities, and lots of options for activities outside of being a student. Only my first interview, but definitely one of my top choices if accepted.

Ps. You get a swag bag :)
Were you in the AM or PM session?

It's been 4 weeks since I interviewed on 10/13 and still no news. Should I prepare for the worst...?