University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I liked the school and the people were super friendly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. Yea I did talk to a couple of y'all before I left!

And y'all were super nice!! This I found surprising, but really awesome. Did not feel like we were competitors for med school, but rather, long time friends with similar struggles, hopes, and interests - as if we were already colleagues.

Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I could feel support oozing from every orifice while at the school lol.

Reactions: 1 users
And y'all were super nice!! This I found surprising, but really awesome. Did not feel like we were competitors for med school, but rather, long time friends with similar struggles, hopes, and interests - as if we were already colleagues.

Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I could feel support oozing from every orifice while at the school lol.

I totally feel that. It's definitely true.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's been 4 weeks since I interviewed on 10/13 and still no news. Should I prepare for the worst...?
Same...was thinking about calling admissions tomorrow afternoon, do you think that is a good idea?

Same...was thinking about calling admissions tomorrow afternoon, do you think that is a good idea?
I'm waiting on a response from the 10/13 interview as well! I decided to give it til tomorrow night, then give a call Monday if still no response. I'm kinda happy to hear I'm not the only one in this boat waiting lol

Does anyone know how much time for board prep students get. If I remember correctly, the student tour guide said they get about 4 weeks.

I'm waiting on a response from the 10/13 interview as well! I decided to give it til tomorrow night, then give a call Monday if still no response. I'm kinda happy to hear I'm not the only one in this boat waiting lol

I was thinking of calling tomorrow afternoon too. I was getting so anxious and I'm kind of relieved that I'm not the only one still waiting. Thank you both for your replies!

Best of luck to all of us! I hope we all hear some good news soon :)

I was thinking of calling tomorrow afternoon too. I was getting so anxious and I'm kind of relieved that I'm not the only one still waiting. Thank you both for your replies!

Best of luck to all of us! I hope we all hear some good news soon :)
Yeah when they say 3-4 weeks the anxiety really settles in by that 4 week mark.
Thanks! Good luck to you as well! I'll post anything I hear if I decide to call.

I'm going to be giving up my seat to one of you wonderful people. Does anybody know how I do this? Do I just not send in the deposit or is there a formal way to tell the school earlier?

I also interviewed 10/13 and called today and I was told that they hope to send decision letters next week

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed 10/13 and called today and I was told that they hope to send decision letters next week
That's so weird because they never seemed to go beyond 4 weeks of the interview date. Plus, they already notified one person from the same interview date almost 2 weeks ago.

They're probably just super backed up from too many qualified applicants!

ACCEPTED! Canadian Applicant. Interviewed on October 19th! I am so excited literally just got my decision letter!

Complete Sept 13th
II Sept 21 (PM)
Acceptance, TODAY!

Very Happy, loved the school.

Reactions: 5 users
Post interview rejection, interviewed 10/17.

Absolutely destroyed this interview. Coming from a 90% red state wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the result of butthurt political motivations.

Oh well, already got accepted elsewhere.

Accepted! Interviewed 10/18. Withdrawing my app because I was accepted to my state school. Loved the school though, good luck to everyone!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping for some love soon even though I interviewed last week. A guy can wish right? Haha congrats on the acceptances!!

Accepted! Interviewed 10/13. One of my top choice schools!

Reactions: 9 users
ACCEPTED! Interviewed on 10/13. All the other interviewees from 10/13 should hear back soon! I know we were all very nervous

Accepted but withdrawing! Interviewed late October!

Interviewed 10/25 too, guess I should have a decision tomorrow... did you interview in the morning or afternoon?

Any particular time when people get emails?

I was part of the morning interview! And I specifically got the email at 12:22 PM, best of luck!

I haven't yet. I am literally so confused and thought I interviewed a day earlier have been freaking out all day that I haven't heard.

Don't sweat it, you are still well within the four week window. That said if you are worried you can always call the school too.

Don't sweat it, you are still well within the four week window. That said if you are worried you can always call the school too.
I actually heard back past the four week window - 5 days after, to be exact!

Think it's worth calling the school tomorrow? Interviewed 10/26, I loved my visit here but felt like I had an alright interview and the anxiety kinda kicked in now lol

Think it's worth calling the school tomorrow? Interviewed 10/26, I loved my visit here but felt like I had an alright interview and the anxiety kinda kicked in now lol
My opinion would be to wait it out. I was super surprised that I got an acceptance so early (over a week before the 4 week rule). A lot of people that interviewed the week(s) before me got acceptances at the same time, so they might lump groups together. Just breathe, and relax amigo/a. Trust in the system and one way or another you will find out; just try to keep your mind occupied in between fervent email checks. You got this! Also I felt my interview only went "alright". It was hard to gauge based on the laid-back feel overall. Just keep your head up and a watchful eye out!

My opinion would be to wait it out. I was super surprised that I got an acceptance so early (over a week before the 4 week rule). A lot of people that interviewed the week(s) before me got acceptances at the same time, so they might lump groups together. Just breathe, and relax amigo/a. Trust in the system and one way or another you will find out; just try to keep your mind occupied in between fervent email checks. You got this! Also I felt my interview only went "alright". It was hard to gauge based on the laid-back feel overall. Just keep your head up and a watchful eye out!

thanks man, really needed that haha congrats on the acceptance by the way!

Post interview rejection, interviewed 10/17.

Absolutely destroyed this interview. Coming from a 90% red state wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the result of butthurt political motivations.

Oh well, already got accepted elsewhere.

Maine is largely a red state, and why would the school care about your political associations? Glad you got accepted elsewhere, but I wouldn't write it off as a malicious political move.

Reactions: 6 users
Just an FYI for everyone there were a few students from my interview day whom were accepted several days before I was. They do not release acceptances/rejections all on the same day....at least they didn't for those who interviewed on 9/28.

Good luck everyone.

@Mad Jack , can you give some insight in the quality of UNE's clinical education for third/fourth year? Does it tend to be more preceptor based or ward based? Do you feel that the first two years prepare you well enough for both the USMLE and COMLEX?

@Mad Jack , can you give some insight in the quality of UNE's clinical education for third/fourth year? Does it tend to be more preceptor based or ward based? Do you feel that the first two years prepare you well enough for both the USMLE and COMLEX?
Depends on the site you're at and the rotation. Where I'm at, all of IM and surgery are inpatient, peds is half inpatient, psych is half inpatient, Ob/Gyn is 3/4 inpatient, while FM and community health are obviously outpatient. Haven't heard a whole lot of complaints in regard to third year, and I've enjoyed it a great deal. Students at the RI, NJ, and Bangor campuses have voiced similar thoughts- we're pretty happy.

USMLE and COMLEX prep is largely up to the student. They give you a decent foundation, but your ability to do well is going to depend on how hard you hit UFAP, Sketchy, and Goljan. I've got classmates that scored in the 260s, and ones that failed. Myself and my roommates had a spread of mid 220s (myself) all the way up to 250s, and we used basically the same materials (though I'll admit they hit the books way harder than I ever could, dat willpower). I don't know how current students feel about things though, as there have been changes in regard to lecture attendance that would have made my study strategy extremely difficult moving forward. Current first and second years would be a much better resource in that regard.

This question may have been answered already but I'm looking for some more specific insight. I am a Rhode Islander and would really like to return to RI for third year and potentially fourth year and residency. How are rotation sites for third year determined? Is it possible to choose where you rotate? I know there are two sites in RI. One is right up my street. The other is 20 minutes away. I'm close with my family and would like to save $$$ by moving home for that year.

Cancelled my interview for next week (11/30). I hope it goes to someone well deserving of it. Happy holidays.

accepted today morning!

Reactions: 7 users
Do any of the current students know if the mandatory attendance is going to change for next years class?

II 11/26
ACCEPTED!!!!!
Sucha surreal feeling, couldn't be happier