University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where's the invite to the accepted students Facebook page?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

accepted via email this morning! interviewed 10/27.
congratulations everyone and happy thanksgiving!!

Reactions: 3 users
I will officially be withdrawing my acceptance from UNE. I was accepted into the school of my dreams this morning!

I look forward to having all of you as colleagues in the future. Best of luck and enjoy Maine!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will officially be withdrawing my acceptance from UNE. I was accepted into the school of my dreams this morning!

I look forward to having all of you as colleagues in the future. Best of luck and enjoy Maine!
Congratulations!! That's the best news, especially right before thanksgiving! Just waiting to be accepted to my dream school now Haha

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone knows how females should appropriately dress for snow Maine weather (specifically shoes). I know they give a campus tour and i dont know whether to wear heels if its snowing? Thanks!

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone knows how females should appropriately dress for snow Maine weather (specifically shoes). I know they give a campus tour and i dont know whether to wear heels if its snowing? Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend heels if it is snowing. The campus has a decent amount of stairs and hills. I'd estimate the tour is around 30 minutes of walking/standing inside and outside. You're also walking outside between information sessions and interviews. That being said I'd recommend wearing something you're going to be both warm enough in and comfortable to walk in. As long as it's professional still you should be fine!

Interviewed 10/26, I bought a new pair of shoes for the interview and ended up with blisters. No snow then though. I also would recommend not wearing heels (if it snows). There is a fair amount of walking, but should be fine if you are comfortable in heels. If it snows, there is a plenty of down time to change your shoes. I was probably sitting waiting for my interview for ~2 hours in a cafe-like setting. So bring both!

I interviewed 11/08 as well, haven't heard anything. Doesn't sound good.

Declining my acceptance. Hope it opens up a spot for one of you folks

Reactions: 2 users
Rejection today. Pre II

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully those of us still waiting hear tomorrow!

"Supplement received" confirmation on Nov 18th. Hopefully something good comes back soon!

Hello Everyone,

Current 2nd year medical student at UNECOM, just decided to come on to the forums to help answer some questions, I know I had a lot when I was applying. Feel free to ask here and I'll try to answer to the best I can!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey @HuskyPride149 thanks for coming on to answer questions. I have a quick one, any word regarding a policy change to the mandatory classes yet?

Hello Everyone,

Current 2nd year medical student at UNECOM, just decided to come on to the forums to help answer some questions, I know I had a lot when I was applying. Feel free to ask here and I'll try to answer to the best I can!

Hey @HuskyPride149 thanks for coming on to answer questions. I have a quick one, any word regarding a policy change to the mandatory classes yet?

At this moment, there is no talk about changing the policy of mandatory classes completely, but the student representatives in Student Government are working with administration to see if we can come to a compromise instead of having either all classes mandatory or completely non-mandatory. This policy was just put in to place this year due to lack of attendance to lectures last year. Personally I understand why the policy is in place since as second years, we do have a lot more guest lecturers that travel hours to come teach at UNECOM and if only 15 people show up in a class of 170 people, it doesn't make our class look good. Of course people learn differently and some people do better watching the lectures at their own pace and use class time for other things.

Declined my offer of admission. Hope one of you fine folks gets it!

@huskeypride149 Hey, thanks for offering to answer a few of our questions! I am wondering where students live in their first and second year? Does everyone live in Biddeford? Or does a significant portion of the class live in Portland?

@huskeypride149 Hey, thanks for offering to answer a few of our questions! I am wondering where students live in their first and second year? Does everyone live in Biddeford? Or does a significant portion of the class live in Portland?

Most students live in Biddeford or the neighboring town of Saco. There are also some students that live down the road on Hills Beach from the school, but some of those housing may be seasonal. I only know a few people that live in Portland because they have spouses that have jobs closer to Portland or they prefer to liver closer to the city. There is a shuttle that goes from Portland to campus, so that's pretty convenient for those who live up there. Just note that housing in Portland is more expensive compared to Biddeford. For second year, most people live in the same housing or move to another location, usually in Biddeford.

Is today a day that we may hear something? When did you interview?

Interviewed 11/9. But decisions have been going out on Wednesdays and Thursdays the past several weeks. And since today is the 4 week mark, I expect to hear soon.

Interviewed 11/9. But decisions have been going out on Wednesdays and Thursdays the past several weeks. And since today is the 4 week mark, I expect to hear soon.
I interviewed on 11/10, so tomorrow will be the 4 week mark for me. Also hoping to hear soon.

I interviewed 11/15 but would definitely be okay with hearing back at the 3 week mark :xf:

also interviewed on 11/10... would love to hear something soon lol. anyone know how much time UNE gives us to pay our deposit at this stage?

also interviewed on 11/10... would love to hear something soon lol. anyone know how much time UNE gives us to pay our deposit at this stage?
You have 30 days to put the $500 non-refundable deposit down, and then 60 days from that payment to put the $1500 refundable deposit down, which is only refundable through June 1st 2017.

You have 30 days to put the $500 non-refundable deposit down, and then 60 days from that payment to put the $1500 refundable deposit down, which is only refundable through June 1st 2017.

wow that is very reasonable compared to other schools lol. thanks UNE

Declining my admission offer. Kind of a bummer because I initially really wanted to attend here, especially because I live in downtown Portland (which is awesome!) and the commute would be easy. However, I wasn't super impressed with the school on interview day and the mandatory lecture is a no-go for me. Good luck!

Just withdrew my acceptance, definitely a difficult decision but I hope someone here gets it! Good luck everybody

man i hope us folks from 11/10 find out soon... the wait is killing me

i take it no one has received word from the mid-Nov dates yet? this is brutal lol

Withdrew my acceptance here (got into my state school). I hope it finds its way to one of you on here waiting!!! UNECOM is such an amazing school

UNE will notify students of their decisions before Christmas.

where did you find that? not that I don't believe you, just curious lol.
At my Nov 30th interview (which was the last interview date until the new year) they said they would have decisions out by Christmas break

I expect to hear this week. Almost at the 5 week mark.

on the UNECOM website, it says the last day of classes is Dec 16th before the break. So I wonder if that means we're gunna know before then or just next week before Christmas itself

I called yesterday and I was told that they are waiting for the deans office to sign off on decisions made for early/mid November interviews. They expect to send decision letters sometime this week.

Last edited:
I called yesterday and I was told that they are waiting for the deans office to sign off on decisions made for early/mid November interviews. They expect to send decision letters sometime this week.

Hopefully today then! I think most letters have gone out around lunchtime?

Ugh getting so antsy. Been trying to distract myself with work but I can't keep it in the back of my mind anymore.

Hey guys, just got an II here. Whats the easiest way to get to this school from Michigan

Ugh getting so antsy. Been trying to distract myself with work but I can't keep it in the back of my mind anymore.

I feel that. But I am "lucky" to have today off, so I have nothing else to do but keep checking my email.

Hey guys, just got an II here. Whats the easiest way to get to this school from Michigan

Easiest is probably to fly into Portland and rent a car from there.

I know plenty of people fly into Boston and do the same thing.