University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can see that you did not appreciate my previous post, but I do believe that you have not been following the thread very well. I can't just let you comments go even though you appear to be ignorant of the entire conversation. But to fill you in since you wanted to comment so badly...see below.
Actually, I followed this thread from the beginning until a recent acceptance at one of my top choices. I have since withdrawn my application to UNECOM.

Finally, your comment citing "you have no experience in medical school" is troubling in that you have no idea what my experience is.
Yes, it is very troubling to assume that someone is reading SDN school-specific threads because they are recent medical school applicants.
THIS FORUM IS FOR PEOPLE INTERESTED IN MEDICINE!
I assume you might be interested in medicine, and perhaps you are considering attending UNECOM. What a troubling assumption to make.
Helping patients is kind of the job of a doctor and I'm sure there are patients coding at this very moment in hospitals across the country.
True. But it was a ridiculous attempt to parallel this to the medical school testing policies mentioned by the UNECOM student. You tried, but it didn't work.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I followed this thread from the beginning until a recent acceptance at one of my top choices. I have since withdrawn my application to UNECOM.

Yes, it is very troubling to assume that someone is reading SDN school-specific threads because they are recent medical school applicants.

I assume you might be interested in medicine, and perhaps you are considering attending UNECOM. What a troubling assumption to make.

True. But it was a ridiculous attempt to parallel this to the medical school testing policies mentioned by the UNECOM student. You tried, but it didn't work.

Overall my point is this, I’m going to use an analogy, I know you don’t like those and it’s hard for you to make connections in your mind but it’s like this, here it goes.

A restaurant critic (someone on yelp, let’s say) critiques a restaurant and says “I hate this restaurant”.

Well okay, what don’t you like about this restaurant?

Imagine if they replied “I hate this restaurant, it’s terrible”

I have got nothing out of that conversation, is it the service that’s bad? Is the food bad? Did they forget your reservation? There is a million reason’s not to like something, but without a reason it doesn’t help the reader. It helps to know if the writer has actual substance to what they are saying by making a statement and following up on it.

Maybe they can even make a suggestion so the reader knows there is something that could make it better. If the food is bad then okay so what's bad about the food? Do they need to season it better to reflect what they are advertising?

As a reader I have to figure out if you hated the restaurant because you went to a seafood restaurant but are allergic to seafood.

Can you now expand that in your mind to this topic? If you don't like the school, okay why is that? Expand that further to if you don't like the testing policy, okay why is it a bad one? I as the reader have to figure if it's a bad policy or if they are just a bad student/ bad at studying.

If you don’t understand basic argument/opinions with an appeal to logic instead of emotion, then it is very difficult to sway your opinion one way or the other unless everyone starts lowering their standards. I stayed away from the doctoring analogies for you since you don't like those, but I could use one of those if you wanted.

And finally to address you concern making assumptions about people. I should have been more specific. Yeah it's fine to make assumptions and assume I'm a pre-med student looking at a school but my point is you shouldn't claim that with 100% certainty because in reality you have no idea. Is there any chance you could be wrong or do you just like making claims about people you don't know?

You can feel free to send a personal message to address any concerns.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected just now pre-II, Complete in October

Also, FYI, while no one wants to fail our big exams, failure in med school happens all the time (this isn't a response to the person who is unhappy about the school). We fail on quizzes, parts of our physical exams, parts of our OMT exams, etc. It happens at one point or another along the year; that doesn't mean that people aren't studying, or are blowing off school-work to party, it means that school is hard. Managing expectations about grades is one of the adjustments that happens in the first semester, because you're not going to get excellent grades all the time and that's ok as long as you progress. Sometimes in the slog of schoolwork, not failing and just passing IS YOUR MAIN GOAL, no matter what school you're in, and no matter how much studying you've put in.

Just got the waitlist email... super fast turn around though, I interviewed less than 2 weeks ago

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

With all due respect, why is the drop out rate still so low?
Part of that might be because people who actually fail just get deferred so that drop out rate is harder to interpret from an academic standpoint. The actual dropouts I've seen were all for personal reasons.

Anyone heard from a January 25th interview?

Just now, waitlist (sounds like that's the best I can hope for at this point right?)

Just got an email accepting me from the waitlist!! UNECOM is beautiful and a great school, but I will probably be declining the offer. Chins up, fellow waitlisters!

I want to go here Soo badly and seeing things like this really make me happy. I'm glad you're in somewhere and wish you great luck and I'm even more glad you're giving up your spot!

Did everyone who accepted the WL explain why they want to go to UNE?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! II here recently, probably for waitlist, but I want to go to see the school since it will be my first time, any advice on where to stay?

Just FYI I didn't write anything, but still got accepted. It helps to submit a paragraph/letter, but don't think it is necessary to do so. Good luck!

Quick question, how long of an explanation have you/do you plan on having? Is this like a couple of sentences/paragraph or is it an essay? I was planning on just a small paragraph with some key points...

It was 2 paragraphs. And I was accepted a few weeks after. So who knows if it helped or not.

If you guys got to another school , seriously consider your other choices. This school is one of the most horrible schools you can get in.

Last edited:
I appreciate the reply. There is no need to post your syllabi, as you already stated the testing policy in your previous post. It just took you a long time to get to your point in your previous posts.

I don’t mean to straight up criticize you, and I wish you would not take it that way. I only mean to understand your point of view more in a logical context. Before you sounded more like you were on a rant and I was not sure the reason why. Right now, it sounds like your concern is the testing policy. In your previous posts you made it sound like it was WWIII going on at your school as you were clearly angry. I honestly just thought there must have been a better way to go about going dealing with problem instead of trashing on your school. In the long run that only hurts the school, and if you a product of your school, then it hurts you too.

Now, that you are clear to all of us in the forum with your problem with the policy you can complain about it all day long, but that does not help or fix the situation. I suggested you got to your administration or someone in your SGA, most schools have one of those, and suggest a solution to what you deem a problem.

I, on the other hand see the policy you put forth and think it already sounds more lax than I thought medical school would be. You are allowed to fail 33% of your exams and you are given a second chance. That sounds pretty damn good to me except I don’t plan on failing any exams. Further, when you previously complained the tests are unfair it does a disservice to everyone that passed the test. It basically is saying it's random who does and doesn't pass. They may have put a lot of work into studying for the test (maybe even more than what you consider is a lot of studying) and you are basically saying it doesn't matter. 150 people passing a test vs 20 people failing is not random or mean it's an unfair test. I see, 150 people that did what they were supposed to do and 20 people that need to make adjustments moving forward.

I know exams can be scary in fact that they test your knowledge, but there has to be some way for the school to reasonably and confidently say you have learned the material and are safe moving forward to second year, boards, clinicals, all that good stuff. Eventually you aren’t going to have second chances, you aren’t going to be given extra time, and you won’t be given notice. When a patient is coding and bleeding out on you and you’re the doctor you won’t be able to say “I just need 10 extra minutes!” or “I’ll get em’ next time!” My point is medical school is supposed to be tough because you’re going into one of the most stressful and difficult careers.

I wish you the best of luck. Remember you made it this far, it’s not all going to fall apart in one day. If you have prepared like you should have you are going to be fine moving forward and I'm sure that's exactly what your professors would say. In the future you should just try to be more constructive and positive instead of destructive and negative especially about your school since they already made a bet on you in that you would succeed.

I believe the new people already got the good news. Its time to inform them on the ugly side of this school. They are flooded by pros and they need to know the cons right? They are paying $250k and will spend their 4 years here so better to be informed that this school has some ugly faces as well and you know and everybody knows that those ugly faces are troublesome.

Last edited:
I believe the new people already got the good news. Its time to inform them on the ugly side of this school. They are flooded by pros and they need to know the cons right? They are paying $250k and will spend their 4 years here so better to be informed that this school has some ugly faces as well and you know and everybody knows that those ugly faces are troublesome. So do your research and try to ask for CONS cause pros everybody knows already. The CONS are the real deal. When you go buy a car you just don't ask for the pros right? you will ask for the cons as well I assume. Let me tell you about the Cons: made up policies, made up osteopathic techniques, made up schedules, close to horrible professors (some are good as well) and yes there is attending polices on some courses (im sure you haven't have that since high school), lots of wasting time, and faculty that are ready to fall you apart and looking for that opportunity.

I totally agree, more people should be asking "what is not great about the school" as they are making their decisions about matriculation to all their final choices. But when you spout things like "made up polices", "made up osteopathic techniques", "made up schedules" not many people know that that means in a real context. Maybe you would like to elaborate so people understand? Just give us a little more substance so we can make an adequate decision.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I totally agree, more people should be asking "what is not great about the school" as they are making their decisions about matriculation to all their final choices. But when you spout things like "made up polices", "made up osteopathic techniques", "made up schedules" not many people know that that means in a real context. Maybe you would like to elaborate so people understand? Just give us a little more substance so we can make an adequate decision.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Let me make it easier for you:

1) If this is the only school you got in, you don't have no other choices , that's the end of the discussion. You need to deal with it and know that there are lots of ugly moments ahead that you can't really complain cause there is no listening ears and there is no logic to analyze. I'm not talking about academic difficulty, I'm talking on administration and policies.

2) If you got other choices, this is your real homework, you need to ask about all the drawbacks and cons of this school and compare school policies. I believe some of the drawbacks are already mentioned here so far. So that's your homework before committing your 4 year of life and your future here.

Let me make it easier for you:

1) If this is the only school you got in, you don't have no other choices , that's the end of the discussion. You need to deal with it and know that there are lots of ugly moments ahead that you can't really complain cause there is no listening ears and there is no logic to analyze. I'm not talking about academic difficulty, I'm talking on administration and policies.

2) If you got other choices, this is your real homework, you need to ask about all the drawbacks and cons of this school and compare school policies. I believe some of the drawbacks are already mentioned here so far. So that's your homework before committing your 4 year of life and your future here.

Thanks for the reply, I can see you are having problems with your school, but you did not really elaborate are your previous thoughts. Maybe you want to name a policy you are having problems with so we know what it is and why it is bad?

You just need to do your homework if you want to attend this school. Talk to first years and not second years as many policies changed. Again if you don't have any other choice you need to suck it up but if you got choices I would do ton of research and talk to real people and not just the paid reps.

You just need to do your homework if you want to attend this school. Talk to first years and not second years as many policies changed. Again if you don't have any other choice you need to suck it up but if you got choices I would do ton of research and talk to real people and not just the paid reps.

So you don't go to the school?

I've turned down my offer and considering my other options

Last edited:
I've turned down my offer and considering my other options as I have close friends that go to this school and described me what's going on there. The way they make policies at UNECOM to me was illogical. I have talked to many people there when I was there and tried to ask real questions. Don't believe what the reps say, they are either paid or use that rep'ing for their resume so basically they are hired.

Sorry, but the way you type is a little illogical. This is getting hard to read to my friends in the room without them thinking I'm dumb.

I've turned down my offer and considering my other options as I have close friends that go to this school and described me what's going on there. The way they make policies at UNECOM to me was illogical. I have talked to many people there when I was there and tried to ask real questions. Don't believe what the reps say, they are either paid or use that rep'ing for their resume so basically they are hired.

Also please let us know where you end up deciding to go so we know to avoid physicians there at all cost. Can't take the chance of getting you in the future.

Also please let us know where you end up deciding to go so we know to avoid physicians there at all cost. Can't take the chance of getting you in the future.

Maybe you are hired by this school to attack people like me that tell the truth. People should avoid you from all walks of life Folks do your research before attending this school.

Last edited:
Maybe you are hired by this school to attack people like me that tell the truth. People should avoid you from all walks of life :) Folks do your research before attending this school.

I did not attack you whatsoever, but when you refused to specify any claims you made that made yourself vulnerable to questions. Please do tell us where you decide to attend if you get into a school. You just make it too easy when you make unsubstantiated claims.

If the school is looking for someone, I could use a job on the side. Please send a DM.

Last edited:
Most obvious troll I've ever witnessed. The other guy was at least believable (he might even be legitimate). It's a shame people stoop that low to try and fool people into rescinding their acceptances.

Most obvious troll I've ever witnessed. The other guy was at least believable (he might even be legitimate). It's a shame people stoop that low to try and fool people into rescinding their acceptances.

I'm not sure I would totally agree with that statement. I keep hearing simple claims, but no one gives any backup to any of their statements.

Also, FYI, while no one wants to fail our big exams, failure in med school happens all the time (this isn't a response to the person who is unhappy about the school). We fail on quizzes, parts of our physical exams, parts of our OMT exams, etc. It happens at one point or another along the year; that doesn't mean that people aren't studying, or are blowing off school-work to party, it means that school is hard. Managing expectations about grades is one of the adjustments that happens in the first semester, because you're not going to get excellent grades all the time and that's ok as long as you progress. Sometimes in the slog of schoolwork, not failing and just passing IS YOUR MAIN GOAL, no matter what school you're in, and no matter how much studying you've put in.

Very valid point. I too am current OMS-I, and I love this school. Of course it is difficult and has its downfalls, but it is a medical school, and anyone would be hard pressed to find one that does not. Any medical school you go to, a percentage will fail an exam (or a couple), or be dissatisfied, or be anxious about failing out. Anyone who has made it far enough to get into medical school would undoubtedly want to do the best they can and apprehensive about not succeeding. I am hoping that all of the prospective students who are really considering UNECOM get a fair representation of what the school is, by talking to a current student/faculty as opposed to listening to the opinions of someone who "has friends here" etc. If anybody who is serious about the school has curriculum-specific questions or wants an honest option of the school from a current student, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 2 users
I cannot believe I need to come in here a third time.... but to remind everyone: A troll is not defined as someone who disagrees with a school or tells others to not go to the school because they had/have a bad experience with the school.

If you do not wish to see posts from a specific user: click the username, click the ignore feature.

Reactions: 4 users
Get ready everybody! It's a test day, not even a huge one percentage wise, but you're probably going to see more people complaining when they failed their test citing unfairness or whatever crazy idea they can think of instead of taking ownership of their lack of study.

Get ready everybody! It's a test day, not even a huge one percentage wise, but you're probably going to see more people complaining when they failed their test citing unfairness or whatever crazy idea they can think of instead of taking ownership of their lack of study.
I mean, we've been having tests all year. Smallish ones happen every two to three weeks (which I love since its a great heads up for me not knowing something well enough without too much pressure). The people complaining only showed up within the past week or so.

Got accepted yesterday off the wailist. It was very quick, got waitlisted Tuesday and accepted Thursday lol. I am super excited, I really like this school. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some info about housing, life expenses and all that sort of thing. I am from Pa and I am a little worried about how life would be up there

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted yesterday off the wailist. It was very quick, got waitlisted Tuesday and accepted Thursday lol. I am super excited, I really like this school. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some info about housing, life expenses and all that sort of thing. I am from Pa and I am a little worried about how life would be up there

Hey, congrats! I'm a former waitlister as well. I came from Michigan and it was very similar. There are tons of places to rent out there - either with a roommate or significant other, or by yourself. A lot of folks did the seasonal rentals, where you get to live on the beach - but only in the colder months. That leaves May-August a little awkward couch surfing, but seemed like a fun experience! I spent some time renting a small place in Portland, but for only a couple hundred bucks more ended up renting a good size house right in biddeford with room for my dog. There are also apartment complexes, homeowners renting out rooms, etc - really endless options. I thought life expenses were very reasonable. Most everything runs on oil heat, which cost us around $300 every 4-6 months to fill up. My main advice is either invest in a snowblower or make sure your landlord plows your driveway.
Congratulations again. You'll have a great time. I met the best friends of my life at that place and miss New England every day!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, congrats! I'm a former waitlister as well. I came from Michigan and it was very similar. There are tons of places to rent out there - either with a roommate or significant other, or by yourself. A lot of folks did the seasonal rentals, where you get to live on the beach - but only in the colder months. That leaves May-August a little awkward couch surfing, but seemed like a fun experience! I spent some time renting a small place in Portland, but for only a couple hundred bucks more ended up renting a good size house right in biddeford with room for my dog. There are also apartment complexes, homeowners renting out rooms, etc - really endless options. I thought life expenses were very reasonable. Most everything runs on oil heat, which cost us around $300 every 4-6 months to fill up. My main advice is either invest in a snowblower or make sure your landlord plows your driveway.
Congratulations again. You'll have a great time. I met the best friends of my life at that place and miss New England every day!
Thanks a lot for the great information!

If you guys got to another school , seriously consider your other choices. This school is one of the most horrible schools you can get in. The policies are nonesense and you feel that are you living a misery dealing with everything they provide. The faculty are not there to help you but rather hurt you. So seriously think about it and don't just talk to people who pretend they are happy. No one is happy except a few. Always get both sides of the story and know what you are getting to. That was my mistake not getting two sides of the story and just got the good stories, the made up stories.

Last edited:
I read what you wrote, you didnt provide concrete examples of why you think that way, youre just paraphrasing general things that have been mentioned here.

If I have a problem with lets say a school I could provide a detailed story complete with people involved, actions that were committed etc etc.

He was already called out and found to be a fraud. Charliemoore2134 gave him a thrashing.

I read what you wrote, you didnt provide concrete examples of why you think that way, youre just paraphrasing general things that have been mentioned here.

If I have a problem with lets say a school I could provide a detailed story complete with people involved, actions that were committed etc etc.

Its very interesting how people get frustrated on the notion of criticism of a particular school like UNE. I have done ton of research and did weigh all pros and cons of UNECOM and decided to matriculate at another school. All I said to whoever got accepted and if they got another shot somewhere else to truly weigh and consider all the cons. Again if you don't have any other option, you gotta suck it up and go for it but if you got other options, you seriously need to do a ton of research. You can simply walk in and talk to first year students (not the reps that are hired to promote the school and sell it to you and never tell you the shortcomings) and ask about their courses, their profs, the course directors and OMT lifestyle at UNE and you will be surprised that mostly are not happy. Again if you are committing your life here, do tons of research on the cons. I wish whoever going to this school best of luck and whoever got other OPTIONS, do a lot of research

Last edited:
Its very interesting how people get frustrated on the notion of criticism of a particular school like UNE. I have done ton of research and did weigh all pros and cons of UNECOM and decided to matriculate at another school. All I said to whoever got accepted and if they got another shot somewhere else to truly weigh and consider all the cons. Again if you don't have any other option, you gotta suck it up and go for it but if you got other options, you seriously need to do a ton of research. You can simply walk in and talk to first year students (not the reps that are hired to promote the school and sell it to you and never tell you the shortcomings) and ask about their courses, their profs, the course directors and OMT lifestyle at UNE and you will be surprised that mostly are not happy. Again if you are committing your life here, do tons of research on the cons. I wish whoever going to this school best of luck and whoever got other OPTIONS, do a lot of research :)

An "OMT lifestyle" is not a real thing.

Speaking as someone who goes here.. what exactly is an "OMT lifestyle?" That is not a real thing...

You are already going there, so you better enjoy your out of Whack Anatomy and OMT. You are like a gambler who already lost 60-70K of tuition and enjoys the casino My response were towards people with OPTIONS as prospective students deserve to be informed rather than sold a school. So if you are going here you better tell the cons as these poor folks already flooded with the pros that they can have a fair decision making process.

Last edited:
You are already going there, so you better enjoy your out of Whack Anatomy and OMT. You are like a gambler who already lost 60-70K of tuition and enjoys the casino if someone ask him how he/she' doing. Again my response were towards people with OPTIONS as prospective students deserve to be informed rather than sold a school. So if you are going here you better tell the cons as these poor folks already flooded with the pros that they can have a fair decision making process.

Last edited:
You're 100% trolling, youre so sure this school is bad and you dont even go there and youre vehemently arguing that point as if its fact.

I think you are a closed minded person and you don't know what trolling means. You get frustrated because you know I'm right. You are living the experience and you are in misery already. I never told people to not go to UNE, I simply said to whoever got "OPTIONS" to do a ton of research and talk to other people than you that promote the school. You might be a hired rep to be here and defend the indefensible and attack people like me. Please read my posts few times as seems like you are suffering from attention deficiency disorder aka ADD.

I cannot believe I need to come in here a third time.... but to remind everyone: A troll is not defined as someone who disagrees with a school or tells others to not go to the school because they had/have a bad experience with the school.

If you do not wish to see posts from a specific user: click the username, click the ignore feature.

I'll just quote AlteredScale so he doesn't have to post a fourth time!

Edit: I posted this long rant but have decided against it - the quote above is enough. Poor moderators...

Last edited: