University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to decide after Osteoblast. Leaning towards Touro-NY right now.
Gotcha. The decision is certainly yours, but as I said earlier this is basically my dream school and if I somehow got your spot (if you went to Touro) I'd basically owe you my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No news on the match list for 2017 graduating class?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when financial aid packages will be released/ where to find it? Also when is the FAFSA deadline here?

Last edited:
Just got off waitlist. II late February. Excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Second deposit paid! Woo! Congrats on the recent acceptances!

Hello all. I'm a fourth year at UNECOM. If you have any questions, please let me know. Congrats to those that got accepted!!

How'd the match go?
I didn't participate in the match this year, but from what I hear, it went very well for others! Lots of people matched into their first or second choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't participate in the match this year, but from what I hear, it went very well for others! Lots of people matched into their first or second choices.

Why didnt you participate?

Hello all. I'm a fourth year at UNECOM. If you have any questions, please let me know. Congrats to those that got accepted!!

Can you give me an idea of how students go about arranging their own fourth year rotations? it sounds somewhat daunting to have to basically sell yourself to hospitals/clinics to get them to let you do your rotations there?

Can you give me an idea of how students go about arranging their own fourth year rotations? it sounds somewhat daunting to have to basically sell yourself to hospitals/clinics to get them to let you do your rotations there?
Students use an application service called VSAS. Those program that are listed in VSAS are available to students to view and apply to for rotations. You can track your application and plan accordingly. Each site will have a list of requirements/paperwork. The UNE clinical coordination office will help with this, and contact you for you updated certifications/supplemental info. Once a program has all your information, they will let you know in advance if they have an opening.
Some programs are not in VSAS, and you'll need to contact them to ask how to apply. It sounds daunting, but you take it one day at a time, and plan ahead.
If you dont get a rotation at a site you want, don't take it personally. They may be overwhelmed with requests, and can only fit in a certain number of students. Apply early.

Can you (or any other current students) comment on the honors, high pass and pass grading system? Does this affect how students treat each other, and does this affect rotation placements? I remember a faculty member saying that students are not ever really competing with each other, but that students are placed based on what makes the most sense in the student's situation. Any confirmation on this? Thanks!

Waitlisted! Interviewed in the morning 3/9. Had a feeling the class was full, but I don't remember any of them saying anything about it explicitly. Fingers crossed. I'm waitlisted at another school, but a doctor I know went here and really enjoyed it.

Can you (or any other current students) comment on the honors, high pass and pass grading system? Does this affect how students treat each other, and does this affect rotation placements? I remember a faculty member saying that students are not ever really competing with each other, but that students are placed based on what makes the most sense in the student's situation. Any confirmation on this? Thanks!
There was a lot of comradery in our class. Students helped each other out, shared notes, learned in groups, etc. I didnt sense any competition between classmates. I think this grading system worked out well overall.

Whelp I've been on the waitlist since November and everyone being pulled off seems to have interviewed semi recently. Guess it's time to stop crossing my fingers.

Whelp I've been on the waitlist since November and everyone being pulled off seems to have interviewed semi recently. Guess it's time to stop crossing my fingers.

The cycle is far from being over, waitlists just begin to move in April usually. Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Any advice for incoming students?
i.e.
Where to find rentals?
What textbook pdf's to download?
and general tips thanks!!

Check out the class of 2021 google page that should have been sent to you. If you go to the osteoblast tab, they have uploaded a ton of stuff. I just went through it all last night since I couldn't make it.

Looking to apply here next year - any update regarding the mandatory lectures?

Looking to apply here next year - any update regarding the mandatory lectures?

From what I have heard, they've great reduced the number of required lectures. Anyone who was actually able to make it to Osteoblast may have more insight.

From what I have heard, they've great reduced the number of required lectures. Anyone who was actually able to make it to Osteoblast may have more insight.
Basically, the lecturer gets to decide if their class is mandatory or not. The professors who teach most often basically never make their stuff mandatory. The problem is people haven't been doing a good job of showing up to the mandatory ones so we'll see what happens.

Just accepted off the waitlist this morning! Movement has begun.

Reactions: 4 users
Just accepted off the waitlist this morning! Movement has begun.
Movements should be occurring every 24-48 hours. If movements are occurring significantly less frequently than this, please consult a physician. (not medical advice)

Accepted off the waitlist this morning!! Interviewed 3/7 :)

Reactions: 2 users
It seems there has been a lot of waitlist movement the past couple of days based on new people in the Facebook group.

^I've been wondering if that's a reliable way to track WL movement. A lot of the ppl in those groups, including ppl who are added, seem to be current students.

^I've been wondering if that's a reliable way to track WL movement. A lot of the ppl in those groups, including ppl who are added, seem to be current students.

I'm just saying that because there were 7-8 people that posted saying they had just been accepted yesterday morning.

Finally got rejected! Feels good to have some closure

Does Anyone have advice I've been acepted to both UNE and NYIT but I don't know which school is better! :(

Does Anyone have advice I've been acepted to both UNE and NYIT but I don't know which school is better! :(
Would you rather live in/rotate through the boonies of the New England or the biggest city in the US for 4 years?

Weigh your pros/cons of each school and what you want out of your 2 years there at the campus. 3rd and 4th year matter a little less. good luck in choosing but congrats on getting accepted!

Also consider cost, both schools are established pretty well unless you're talking about the Arkansas campus. The education will be more or less the same. But if Cost of attendance is significantly more at one than the other, that may have an impact on your decision.

Stuck between UNE and CCOM because I really liked both when I visited. CCOM is 10-15k higher in tuition. Any recommendations on what else to consider?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Stuck between UNE and CCOM because I really liked both when I visited. CCOM is 10-15k higher in tuition. Any recommendations on what else to consider?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Both are great schools. In favor of UNECOM, I'd also consider that the cost of living in Chicago is going to be so much higher than in Biddeford. If you're alright with that, I'd go with your gut. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.