University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Anyone have advice I've been acepted to both UNE and NYIT but I don't know which school is better! :(

UNECOM!!

Members don't see this ad.

Current students - can you tell me a little bit more about the curriculum? Do you feel like you are being prepped for the boards well? Learning? Best and worst thing about the curriculum? Also, any feedback on the quality of the rotation sites (and how easy it is to arrange your own 4th year rotations) would be helpful. I was just accepted off the wait list at KCUMBand now I have to decide between the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
current students - how often do you have test and what is the format?

current students - how often do you have test and what is the format?

As a 1st year - oral Anatomy quiz weekly (ungraded, just to make sure you are keeping up with the material), OMK (basic science) quiz weekly (taken individually, and then with your CBL group), OMK progressive test every 2-3 weeks. There are 6 blocks for the year, 3 blocks per semester, each block roughly 6 weeks and every block ends with "block week" which consists of an anatomy exam, live anatomy exam, clinical skills assessment, and OMK/OCS written exam all in one week.

As a 2nd year - 2 OMM exams/ semester, 2 clinical skills assesment/semester, and OMK exams varies depending on the topic and how long each "block" is so it can range from 4 weeks to 5 weeks.

As a 1st year - oral Anatomy quiz weekly (ungraded, just to make sure you are keeping up with the material), OMK (basic science) quiz weekly (taken individually, and then with your CBL group), OMK progressive test every 2-3 weeks. There are 6 blocks for the year, 3 blocks per semester, each block roughly 6 weeks and every block ends with "block week" which consists of an anatomy exam, live anatomy exam, clinical skills assessment, and OMK/OCS written exam all in one week.

As a 2nd year - 2 OMM exams/ semester, 2 clinical skills assesment/semester, and OMK exams varies depending on the topic and how long each "block" is so it can range from 4 weeks to 5 weeks.

Thank you ! very informative. Is it are the written multiple choice?

Current students - can you tell me a little bit more about the curriculum? Do you feel like you are being prepped for the boards well? Learning? Best and worst thing about the curriculum? Also, any feedback on the quality of the rotation sites (and how easy it is to arrange your own 4th year rotations) would be helpful. I was just accepted off the wait list at KCUMBand now I have to decide between the schools.

Hey there, congrats on your acceptances! For 1st year, we have 3 hours of anatomy on Monday, and an OMK knowledge quiz and 3 hours of lecture on Monday as well. On Tuesday, we have 4 hours of OMK lecture in the morning, and an integrative histology or imaging class in the afternoon. On wednesday we have small group where we learn clinical skills, imaging, etc, followed by a CMAP which is where we are given a case to present, and then map out the physiology of the case. On Thursdays we have 2-3 hours of OMM and a Team Case Challenge we go through a case with about a quarter of our class. On Fridays we have a clinical professional conference (unless we have a test that day), where we discuss topics such as insurance, domestic abuse, alcoholism, etc, so basically issues that we will have to deal with when we are practicing, followed by a 3 hour anatomy lab. I know it seems like a lot right now, but most of the OMK lectures are optional, based on the professor's preference.

As I'm still a 1st year, I can't really speak to the boards much, but I do know that UNE does NOT teach strictly to the boards, although they do give us COMLEX study materials as part of our tuition at the end of the first year so that we can use them to study. Best thing about the curriculum - it's highly integrated, and I feel like we get to review the material a lot throughout the week with our team activities. I think the OCS part of the course (anatomy and OMM) is spot on; all the professors and fellows are very knowledgable and helpful, and I've learned a ton from them.
Worst part - OMK can be a bit unorganized, and we have different teachers for different systems sometimes, so we'll have one professor teach one part of physiology (for example cardiovascular), and another professor teach another part of physiology (renal). I also think the testing retake policy can be a bit unfair.
Again, as a 1st year, I don't know a ton about the rotation years, but I believe for 4th year, we go through an on-line system where we apply for the spots that we want, so it's not like you're just cold-calling hospitals to ask for rotations.

Anyone this morning receive an email if they wanted to stay on the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone this morning receive an email if they wanted to stay on the waitlist?
I recieved an email this morning as well. UNECOM is still my first choice so i guess i am not responding to the email so i can remain on the waitlist. Although I feel like i should contact them at least to confirm that i am still interested.

UNECOM 2017 Match List. The list is anonymous.

Attachments

• 2017GradList_CLASS (2).doc
    394.5 KB · Views: 235
Members don't see this ad :)

Definitely KCUMB.

I recieved an email this morning as well. UNECOM is still my first choice so i guess i am not responding to the email so i can remain on the waitlist. Although I feel like i should contact them at least to confirm that i am still interested.

Also got an email this morning. Let's hope for the best!!!

Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist!

Still on the waitlist after interviewing 3/9. Good to know there has been movement, fingers crossed there will be a bit more movement and space for me. I responded to their email about the waitlist with a letter of intent, hope it helps.

There will be a lot more movement. I think DO schools just received multiple deposit information. The deadline to let UNE know your committed if you hold multiple acceptances is June 1.

Just withdrew - hoping my spot goes to one of you lovely, well deserving people.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a facebook group for the class of 2021? I am looking for housing

I'm currently applying here for the upcoming cycle. I went to a quarter-system undergraduate school that offered a 4.0 unit biochemistry course. However, according to UNE COM's website, there is a minimum 5.0 quarter unit requirement for biochemistry classes. I have since graduated so I cannot go back to take any upper-division biochemistry classes. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue when applying and whether or not they were able to get another biology-related course to substitute for the remaining missing units.

If there is no chance that another course can get substituted for the remaining missing units, should I attempt to apply at or will my application just get auto-screened?

Thank you.

Accepted off the waitlist today! WHAT a journey lol. Still unsure. I am from CA and deciding between here and uiw.

I'm currently applying here for the upcoming cycle. I went to a quarter-system undergraduate school that offered a 4.0 unit biochemistry course. However, according to UNE COM's website, there is a minimum 5.0 quarter unit requirement for biochemistry classes. I have since graduated so I cannot go back to take any upper-division biochemistry classes. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue when applying and whether or not they were able to get another biology-related course to substitute for the remaining missing units.

If there is no chance that another course can get substituted for the remaining missing units, should I attempt to apply at or will my application just get auto-screened?

Thank you.
Best course of action is to just call recruitment. They'll know a hell of better than any of us.

Accepted off the waitlist today! WHAT a journey lol. Still unsure. I am from CA and deciding between here and uiw.

Good luck with your decision! Please think quickly though, some of us have our whole lives totally up in the air waiting for just one acceptance :(

I officially accepted my offer. Hi guys! Now where can i find a cheap place to live? :)

I officially accepted my offer. Hi guys! Now where can i find a cheap place to live? :)

On the class google page that you should be added to soon, there is a google doc where current students have posted apartments and houses for rent. There are also postings on the UNE site.

Hi Everyone!

First time on here! Does anyone know if the waitlist will move more!? was on it in december

To all you incoming second or third years on this forum:

Just curious, how are first year exams compared to the MCAT? Did you find them time constrained?

If anyone is still looking for housing, I have an affordable place for rent that is pretty spacious with one other roommate. Feel free to PM for more details

Anyone here still on the WL (well technically still I suppose) and haven't heard any communication?

Anyone here still on the WL (well technically still I suppose) and haven't heard any communication?

Someone just posted on our class page that they were accepted from the waitlist yesterday

Hi all! Just got off the waitlist this morning. Does anyone know of any housing options?! VERY last minute but extremely grateful!!!

Hi all! Just got off the waitlist this morning. Does anyone know of any housing options?! VERY last minute but extremely grateful!!!

Have you been added to the Fb page yet? There was a classmate of ours that was looking for someone to split a 2br with. Also, congrats!

Last edited:
why is that?
Medical schools in general do not want you to fail out. This is not weed out time, that was undergrad. You made it here, you’re going to finish. Do you realize how bad it would look if a school had a huge drop out rate.

Also, at UNE specifically, they give you so many second chances and the grading is quite lax.

How long did it take for you guys/gals to hear back after submission and being completed?

Please move these questions to the current thread.