University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still waiting for lobster God to show some love

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for lobster God to show some love

Highly recommend going to Eventide Oyster Co. in Portland -- amazing seafood, fresh oysters, local brew, and really awesome vibe. Took a trip to Portland when I visited the campus a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the food highlights!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Highly recommend going to Eventide Oyster Co. in Portland -- amazing seafood, fresh oysters, local brew, and really awesome vibe. Took a trip to Portland to visit the campus a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the food highlights!

Would definitely check it out! I've always wanted to visit Portland, so it'd be a great opportunity to do so.

Just submitted everything today! Hope i get completed soon :)

App was submitted on 10/3 and I was notified that it is now under review on 10/10. Anyone know how fast the turnaround is?

has anyone that has interviewed on 9/27 heard anything?

App was submitted on 10/3 and I was notified that it is now under review on 10/10. Anyone know how fast the turnaround is?

Mine was complete the day after it was marked as being under review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about the interview, I heard its very conversational which is great.
Do they ask anything dealing with current events? Obamacare or other health related events going on?

Do they ask anything dealing with current events? Obamacare or other health related events going on?
No

Reactions: 1 user

No but I know that the interviewers and conversations varied quite a bit. I would still know your basics because you never know

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

THE most chill interview I've had this far. Nothing to worry about - it seems like they really want to gauge you as a person

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to pop in and mention that I am a second year UNECOM student! Feel free to PM me any questions about the school/surrounding area or general app cycle questions, I work very closely with admissions here and mentor pre-meds. UNECOM was by far one of the best decisions I have ever made - I am so much happier in medical school than I ever imagined!

Best of luck to everyone; all this stress and anxiety will be worth it once you're in!!!

I got an II last week! I was marked as complete Aug 22, OOS non-traditional student

Complete back in August and no word back yet. From the South though, does this basically automatically count me out for an II? :(

Complete back in August and no word back yet. From the South though, does this basically automatically count me out for an II? :(

At my interview day there were people from all over the country, so I don't think being from the south will really hurt your chances of getting an interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

im from the south south and have an interview with no connections to the north, if they like u youll get an II. Just pray to the lobster gods as I have done and they will bless you with a bountiful interview season

Reactions: 4 users
im from the south south and have an interview with no connections to the north, if they like u youll get an II. Just pray to the lobster gods as I have done and they will bless you with a bountiful interview season
+1
At my interview day there were people from all over the country. If they want to invite you, they will invite you. Your location won't make a difference.

In regard to turnaround time...it varies. I received an ii about 10 days after I submitted. But others who submitted in July might not receive an ii until January. The last person picked still has the privilege of becoming a physician, so it is important to maintain perspective.

Best of luck to all!

One question, guys. What is this story behind the "lobster gods"?

There are many things to know about Maine. But definitely know that Mainers love their lobster, and they do a lot of lobster fishing in the area. The "Lobster Gods" is just a gimmick to the region. Say if Idaho had a school, you'd be praying to the Potato Gods. Or, for Iowa, the Corn Gods....

Did some SCUBA diving up in Nova Scotia, and there is seriously a crazy amount of lobsters up there.... big ones, too.

Reactions: 2 users
In the before time, in the long long ago, the great lobster god came forth from the sea and saw that the humans were sick. This made the lobster God angry for sick humans don't celebrate lobster fest. And so it came to pass that the lobster god founded UNECOM where the faithful could learn to heal their fellow humans and lobster fest was saved.

Reactions: 7 users
There are many things to know about Maine. But definitely know that Mainers love their lobster, and they do a lot of lobster fishing in the area. The "Lobster Gods" is just a gimmick to the region. Say if Idaho had a school, you'd be praying to the Potato Gods. Or, for Iowa, the Corn Gods....

Did some SCUBA diving up in Nova Scotia, and there is seriously a crazy amount of lobsters up there.... big ones, too.
A gimmick??? How could you!

Shun the nonbeliever

In the before time, in the long long ago, the great lobster god came forth from the sea and saw that the humans were sick. This made the lobster God angry for sick humans don't celebrate lobster fest. And so it came to pass that the lobster god founded UNECOM where the faithful could learn to heal their fellow humans and lobster fest was saved.

All hail!

raw

Yay I was completed today :clap:! Hoping for some love!

Does anyone know if UNE COM offers a pass/fail curriculum? (Apologies if this was previously asked; tried to skim through the thread)

-Received Secondary: 9/19
-Secondary Submitted: 10/16
-Application Complete: 10/17
-II: 10/20

Honestly a bit surprised about hearing back from this school so quickly mainly because I always saw peeps with higher stats apply here. Also, I was pretty late in submitting this secondary, too.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if UNE COM offers a pass/fail curriculum? (Apologies if this was previously asked; tried to skim through the thread)

Honestly a bit surprised about hearing back from this school so quickly mainly because I always saw peeps with higher stats apply here. Also, I was pretty late in submitting this secondary, too.

daaaaaaam.... ignored the 2 week secondary *suggested deadline even tho the secondary says return in 14 days*, completed the next day, and a 3 day turnaround for II?! Congrats tho lol ;)

Is it worth sending in their primary app now? Anybody know when the class typically fills up?

MCAT 28; cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.3

Primary app? I'm assuming you are already verified. But if you send your app in now, I'm sure you can be completed by early November. Some say they fill up the class by new year, but there should be plenty of II's left along with withdrawals and waitlist movement. I'd give it a shot.

daaaaaaam.... ignored the 2 week secondary *suggested deadline even tho the secondary says return in 14 days*, completed the next day, and a 3 day turnaround for II?! Congrats tho lol ;)

LOLLL you're right. And thanks :cat: Until you reminded me, I totally forgot about that "deadline" which actually kind of discouraged me from submitting my secondary once I got to it. So for all you peeps out there, HOPE REMAINS.

Primary app? I'm assuming you are already verified. But if you send your app in now, I'm sure you can be completed by early November. Some say they fill up the class by new year, but there should be plenty of II's left along with withdrawals and waitlist movement. I'd give it a shot.

I second that. If this is a school you really want to go to, then I'd go for it.

Accepted!!!!!! Interviewed 9/27. I'm so excited. First acceptance. I can't believe that I did it and am actually going to be a doctor.

Reactions: 11 users
Just submitted my secondary here. Hoping for some late-cycle love!

They are pass/fail but they also have high pass and honors, so it's essentially still a letter grade system.

I am interviewing Nov 16 and flying into Portland Nov 15. Do most interviewees stay in Biddeford or Portland? Do people rent cars? Any info is much appreciated!

I am interviewing Nov 16 and flying into Portland Nov 15. Do most interviewees stay in Biddeford or Portland? Do people rent cars? Any info is much appreciated!
Stayed in Kennebunkport (awesome beaches and great restaurants in Dock Square; ~10 min away from campus) and I rented a car from Enterprise (located right at the airport). However, since it will be cold (no need for beaches), Biddeford would be more convenient than Portland (a bit further of a drive).

Best of luck!!!

PS - Try to check out The Holy Donut and Rococo Artisan ice cream (best ice cream on the planet; try something with goat cheese in it...trust me).

Last edited:
Just booked my plane ticket for 11/9! Unfortunately, I have to head straight back home after the interview .__.

That ice cream sounds awesome already!

Stayed in Kennebunkport (awesome beaches and great restaurants in Dock Square; ~10 min away from campus) and I rented a car from Enterprise (located right at the airport). However, since it will be cold (no need for beaches), Biddeford would be more convenient than Portland (a bit further of a drive).

Best of luck!!!

PS - Try to check out The Holy Donut and Rococo Artisan ice cream (best ice cream on the planet; try something with goat cheese in it...trust me).

Officially complete! Commence waiting game.

I'm from Texas and I'm interviewing on the 8th.

Interviewing tomorrow (10/26). I have a good feeling but I'm growing increasingly nervous.

Accepted!! Interviewed 10/2 - for those of you interviewing soon it was a VERY laid back interview just as long as you know why this school, why DO, and know your app you'll be fine. I really liked the atmosphere of the school, students seemed genuinely happy, and really nice campus too!

Reactions: 9 users