University of New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decormd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All:
I was hoping to draw some wisdom from this thread and get input on UNM's program...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know a ton, but I was impressed when I interviewed there. Not a really strong research/academic program (but they are improving upon that), they are pretty good clinically. It seems like they are pretty close-knit and aren't overworked.

What really impressed me while I was there was the assistant PD knew me by name (in a group of students) and knew my CV pretty much by heart.

Also, they put us up for 2 nights in a pretty nice suite...

I don't know a ton, but I was impressed when I interviewed there. Not a really strong research/academic program (but they are improving upon that), they are pretty good clinically. It seems like they are pretty close-knit and aren't overworked.

What really impressed me while I was there was the assistant PD knew me by name (in a group of students) and knew my CV pretty much by heart.

Also, they put us up for 2 nights in a pretty nice suite...

2nd that. Love the program during the interview back in 2008-2009 :) Will definitely look there during fellowship time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at UNM and loved it, I was willing to rank it #3 despite the fact it was nowhere near the area where i wanted to practice. The faculty were super nice and the residents were so friendly. They also seem to get a ton of exposure to regional and very early on, which i liked. The only downside to this program that i saw was that they did not currently have electronic medical records in the OR, but they stated it would be there in a year or so. Overall- seemed to be a solid program.

Hi All:
I was hoping to draw some wisdom from this thread and get input on UNM's program...

Thanks!

I interviewed there this year. There was something about the city that was just, well, peaceful. The staff was joking that they call Albuqerque (sp?) "The Land of Entrapment". (As you know, a play off the land of enchantment.)

The program seemed good, and as someone else mentioned, tons and tons of regional. I'm probably wrong, but I thought I remember them putting up a slide during the presentation that showed their residents regional numbers were 70-75% of their general numbers. They still put you up for two nights (Friday and Saturday night with Saturday interview and Saturday dinner). I had to be somewhere on Sunday, and needed to dash out after the interview. The PD knew this, and walked me to the shuttle so that I had a few minutes with him since I wouldn't be at the dinner. Impressive.

Their research is pretty light, but they spoke about that, and their efforts to try to increase. If you're a research guy, you can either look at that as a tough place to do research, or a good place to join a "start-up" and be a pioneer.

Thanks all for the info; I appreciate the input. I have heard generally good things about the program from interviewees but nothing really specific or in depth knowledge about the program.