University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Application Thread (2011-2011 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So they had received everything? Every other school I applied to at least contacted me once.

I'm assuming so. I wish there was a way to check the status online or admissions would email you when they receive everything. Every other school I have applied to has contacted me when they've received everything or the application has been under review. So much waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted. I never received a confirmation email from UNC about anything accept a notification of payment after I submitted my supplemental. After that, the first time I heard from them was the invitation for the interview.

I am not for sure, but the people who heard back last week seemed to all be from out of state best I can tell. All of us in staters are still waiting it seems. I'm hoping we will hear something tomorrow or thursday :/ so anxious
I'm in-state and had my interview October 20th and I heard back last Thursday!

I'm sure you're probably on the edge of your seat every time you check your email, but don't give up. I would guess that they will be letting the rest of everyone know tomorrow. I didn't hear last Thursday until about 5:30pm though, so just know that it may still come late in the day.

As for everyone else, I also did not receive confirmations back from UNC like I did other schools, only a receipt from my supplemental application. The next time I heard from them was an interview invitation. So don't stress; just check that your status says "Mailed" on PharmCAS and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in-state too (UNC student) and interviewed on 10/20 and got accepted on 10/27. They only email confirmations I received before that were receipt of my supplemental payment, and the interview request.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. I can't wait to meet all of my future classmates!

Question for the people who have heard - Were you in the first interview session that day, or the second interview session?

Last edited:
All right, just got my acceptance email! So excited. I am an out of state resident and looking forward to going to UNC.

Anybody have any thoughts on the UNC Board of Trustees indications they will allow tuition to be increased by up to 40% at UNC institutions? (Currently increases capped at 6.5% for in-state)

I'm not sure how this will affect the Pharmacy School because they may have the ability to adjust their own tuition. Does anyone know?

All right, just got my acceptance email! So excited. I am an out of state resident and looking forward to going to UNC.

Me too, and I got it literally a minute before I walked out the door for an interview at Campbell. So excited!

Has everybody who interviewed on 10/20 received some type of status update (accept/hold/reject) from UNC yet? I interviewed on 10/20 and still haven't heard anything...

I interviewed 10/20 and still haven't heard any type of update either. Good to know im not the only one.. maybe we will hear this week

I interviewed 10/20 and still haven't heard any type of update either. Good to know im not the only one.. maybe we will hear this week

I sure hope we will hear from them SOON! I'm thinking about calling the Office of Student Services on Monday because I have another interview scheduled on Friday 11/11, but I will definitely cancel that interview + travel plans if I get accepted into UNC!

Any current students want to weigh in on why this is the school to pick other than "we're #2"? I have been accepted to UNC and Campbell and they are SO different that it's becoming a difficult decision for me. There are definitely Campbell students that want to stand up and tell you that their school is great, but I am missing it from UNC students.

I know it's a great school and that should be enough but I hear horror stories of people being miserable there and I want someone to make me feel better. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Has everybody who interviewed on 10/20 received some type of status update (accept/hold/reject) from UNC yet? I interviewed on 10/20 and still haven't heard anything...

I interviewed on 10/20 and am out-of-state. Still haven't heard anything.

Any current students want to weigh in on why this is the school to pick other than "we're #2"? I have been accepted to UNC and Campbell and they are SO different that it's becoming a difficult decision for me. There are definitely Campbell students that want to stand up and tell you that their school is great, but I am missing it from UNC students.

I know it's a great school and that should be enough but I hear horror stories of people being miserable there and I want someone to make me feel better. :(

Are you in-state? The tuition break alone makes it worth it. You have connections to UNC hospitals as well as many RTP companies. Living in Chapel Hill is awesome. The faculty are top-flight and, more importantly, really love teaching. I was miserable in UNC undergrad, but I love pharmacy school so far.

I interviewed 10/20 and I'm still waiting also.

I'm not a current student, but I had the exact same thoughts about UNC vs. Campbell. I go to UNC for undergrad and got into both Pharmacy schools. I really felt that Campbell students wanted me to go there, and the woman who interviewed me really tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible and to open up other opportunities for me after being accepted since she knew I had a decision to make. Not to mention, Campbell gives a "Dean's scholarship" for about $13,000 for anyone with an undergrad GPA above 3.5, which makes the price for each school pretty much comparable.
I went to Campbell and sat in on classes for a day after I found out that I had been accepted. They treated me as if I already went to their school, and gave me a bag full of awesome Campbell merchandise. Later that same week, I had my UNC interview, and for some reason, I just felt better being at UNC. Like nrsair, I have had a hard time enjoying many aspects of my undergrad experience at UNC, and I certaintly don't think that Chapel Hill is the kind of place that I would like to live for the rest of my life.
It really is a personal decision. I think that both schools offer many different opportunities, and they are completely opposite in many aspects. In the end I decided that UNC would offer me opportunities that would better interest me in the long run. Every student at UNC Pharmacy School that I have talked to absolutely loves it there, and I think that says a lot. I don't think you can make a wrong choice; they are both really great schools. You just have to pick what feels best for you.
I hope that's at least slightly helpful. Good luck!

Anybody else on here that interviewed on the 4th?

I felt it went really well and loved Chapel Hill. I'm hoping that they take me.

Finally heard back today, I'm placed into a hold category until further notice. Can anyone on here, possibly someone who was placed into a hold category last year, explain to me what exactly that entails? It said I may not hear anything else until March 15th.

Are you in-state? The tuition break alone makes it worth it. You have connections to UNC hospitals as well as many RTP companies. Living in Chapel Hill is awesome. The faculty are top-flight and, more importantly, really love teaching. I was miserable in UNC undergrad, but I love pharmacy school so far.

I'm not a current student, but I had the exact same thoughts about UNC vs. Campbell. I go to UNC for undergrad and got into both Pharmacy schools. I really felt that Campbell students wanted me to go there, and the woman who interviewed me really tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible and to open up other opportunities for me after being accepted since she knew I had a decision to make. Not to mention, Campbell gives a "Dean's scholarship" for about $13,000 for anyone with an undergrad GPA above 3.5, which makes the price for each school pretty much comparable.
I went to Campbell and sat in on classes for a day after I found out that I had been accepted. They treated me as if I already went to their school, and gave me a bag full of awesome Campbell merchandise. Later that same week, I had my UNC interview, and for some reason, I just felt better being at UNC. Like nrsair, I have had a hard time enjoying many aspects of my undergrad experience at UNC, and I certaintly don't think that Chapel Hill is the kind of place that I would like to live for the rest of my life.
It really is a personal decision. I think that both schools offer many different opportunities, and they are completely opposite in many aspects. In the end I decided that UNC would offer me opportunities that would better interest me in the long run. Every student at UNC Pharmacy School that I have talked to absolutely loves it there, and I think that says a lot. I don't think you can make a wrong choice; they are both really great schools. You just have to pick what feels best for you.
I hope that's at least slightly helpful. Good luck!

You guys are awesome and helpful! It's especially good to know that someone who didn't have a great time during undergrad is really enjoying pharmacy school there... miserable undergrads are pretty vocal and so they have sort of drowned everything else out. Pretty sure UNC is where I am going, so I will see you both there!

You guys are awesome and helpful! It's especially good to know that someone who didn't have a great time during undergrad is really enjoying pharmacy school there... miserable undergrads are pretty vocal and so they have sort of drowned everything else out. Pretty sure UNC is where I am going, so I will see you both there!

Excellent! If you (or anyone else) have any questions, PM me and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

If we turn in a deposit or ask for a deferment, does this commit us to the school? (I want to just secure a spot at unc, just in case I don't get into other schools)

If we turn in a deposit or ask for a deferment, does this commit us to the school? (I want to just secure a spot at unc, just in case I don't get into other schools)

I'm guessing the deposit is non-refundable, it holds your spot but if you don't enroll, you lose the $500.

Finally heard back today, I'm placed into a hold category until further notice. Can anyone on here, possibly someone who was placed into a hold category last year, explain to me what exactly that entails? It said I may not hear anything else until March 15th.

It basically means they will hold your application until after they get a few more interviews done before they decide to if/where to accept you (ECSU/Ashville/or CH). It's not a bad thing, they do rolling admissions so they just don't want to fill the whole class after 2 or 3 interview sessions. I still haven't heard anything.

I just sent my enrollment deposit yesterday. Who else on here is going to UNC? I am from out of state and I don't know a soul up there in Chapel Hill lol. Does anyone know what the deal is with attending sport events? Is there like a lottery we enter to try and get tickets to basketball and football games or something? How does that all work?

I just sent my enrollment deposit yesterday. Who else on here is going to UNC? I am from out of state and I don't know a soul up there in Chapel Hill lol. Does anyone know what the deal is with attending sport events? Is there like a lottery we enter to try and get tickets to basketball and football games or something? How does that all work?

All students can get into football games, you just need your One Card (student id). If it is an especially big FB game they do a lottery, but that is rare and almost everyone who signs up gets a ticket.

Basketball is an online lottery, the games used to be grouped so there was 4 or 5 lotteries a season. So all non-conference were in a group, then say 2 or 3 conference games in a group, the Duke game is always a lottery by itself. Games over x-mas break are usually open to any student that wants to come.

They may have changed this year, basketball is seated in phases. If you get a phase 1 ticket, you get in 2.5 hours before tip-off, counting down every thirty minutes until 30 min before tip-off. So if you get a phase 1 ticket you get the pick of the seats and phase 5 tickets get whatever is left over.

For basketball there is a student standby line. This means you didn't get a ticket but want in if there are any seats available. 15 minutes before tip-off they let in standby students to fill any students seats. It was reported that last year, all standby students got a seat every game.

Hope this helped, PM me for more details about the town or school. I did undergrad at UNC (09) and have lived here for 6 years now.

For those of you who have been accepted and have already sent in your enrollment deposit, did you get any confirmation that they received your deposit? I sent mine in over a week ago, and I was hoping to hear something before the deposit deadline of November 11th.

For those of you who have been accepted and have already sent in your enrollment deposit, did you get any confirmation that they received your deposit? I sent mine in over a week ago, and I was hoping to hear something before the deposit deadline of November 11th.

I overnighted my deposit check and it was supposed to get there yesterday, and I haven't heard any confirmation yet either

Anybody else on here that interviewed on the 4th?

I felt it went really well and loved Chapel Hill. I'm hoping that they take me.

I interviewed on the 4th and just got my acceptance around 5pm today! I'm so excited to go to UNC and can't wait to get to know my fellow classmates.

I interviewed on the 4th and just got my acceptance around 5pm today! I'm so excited to go to UNC and can't wait to get to know my fellow classmates.

Congrats! Are you in-state or OOS? I interviewed on the 4th, but haven't heard anything yet.

I interviewed 10/20 and just got my acceptance email yesterday at 5pm.

I'm in-state since I know many will want to know.

I also interviewed 10/20 and got my acceptance letter yesterday around 5! I'm in-state as well. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far, and I can't wait to meet you guys!

I interviewed on 10/20 and received my acceptance email a week later. I'm out-of-state and UNC is my second choice after Michigan. But since I won't hear from Michigan until December, I submitted the $500 enrollment deposit to UNC yesterday to save my spot just in case.

One thing I'm really concerned about is being placed in one of the satellite programs. Does anyone know how likely it is you'll get your first choice of campus?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm a current first year student (PY1) at UNC-Chapel Hill campus and one of the Recruitment Ambassadors for the school.

I know that most of you are stressed (I was in your boat this time last year), so if any of you have questions for me, please let me know! I am happy to help, just send me a message :) I'll post any pertinent questions answered in case I feel others would benefit from the information.

For those interested, I'm out-of-state (from Florida) and am involved in a lot of things at school so I could probably answer most of your questions.

**I can help those who are applying, thinking of applying, preparing for interview and recently accepted.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 10/20 and received my acceptance email a week later. I'm out-of-state and UNC is my second choice after Michigan. But since I won't hear from Michigan until December, I submitted the $500 enrollment deposit to UNC yesterday to save my spot just in case.

One thing I'm really concerned about is being placed in one of the satellite programs. Does anyone know how likely it is you'll get your first choice of campus?

I'll have to confirm, but I believe they let you know if you are being considered for a satellite campus. I know some people last year got an email asking if they wanted to be at one of the satellites, and if not they would be waitlisted for Chapel Hill campus.

But since you already have your acceptance, then go with what the acceptance letter said.

I'll have to confirm, but I believe they let you know if you are being considered for a satellite campus. I know some people last year got an email asking if they wanted to be at one of the satellites, and if not they would be waitlisted for Chapel Hill campus.

But since you already have your acceptance, then go with what the acceptance letter said.

There was no indication of campus in my acceptance letter, so should I assume that means I'm down for Chapel Hill? If you could verify that we'd be notified if we're being considered for other campuses, that'd be AWESOME. Thank you!

Congrats! Are you in-state or OOS? I interviewed on the 4th, but haven't heard anything yet.

Are you in-state or OOS? I am OOS and interviewed on Nov. 4 and haven't heard anything yet either...anyone else hear from Nov. 4 interviews?

I interviewed on Nov 4th as well and have not heard anything yet.

I interviewed on Nov 4 and am in state. Haven't heard anything

Can anyone please let me know what the normal time between PharmCAS mailing date of application and the date of reply(any type of response: interview/declined/w/e). I would greatly appreciate this, thank you.

***Normal time can just be used to refer to your time, I doubt it is standardized.

Just got an acceptance email!

Huge relief. I was surprised because I thought they usually came late in the week.

(I'm out of state and interviewed on Nov. 4th in the 12-3 pm session)

Just got an acceptance email!

Huge relief. I was surprised because I thought they usually came late in the week.

(I'm out of state and interviewed on Nov. 4th in the 12-3 pm session)

Congrats! Just checked my email and got accepted too! I was also at the Nov 4th 12-3 session.

Im from Michigan and just received my acceptance as well!!! Also was in the Nov. 4th group from 12-3. Congratulations to everyone else!

Last edited:
I emailed student services about which campus, they said I was accepted to the Chapel Hill Campus. My acceptance email didn't specify, but I would guess that if it doesn't say ECSU or Ashville then you are accepted to the main campus.

I was also put into a hold category =/ But at least it's not a rejection! Hoping for the best...

My final application got submitted on 10/28, has anyone who submitted around that time heard back about interviews from UNC?

-anxiously waiting.

My final application got submitted on 10/28, has anyone who submitted around that time heard back about interviews from UNC?

-anxiously waiting.

My PharmCAS got mailed in (or officially submitted) on 11/07/11, with the E-submit date of 10/19/11, but haven't heard ANYTHING yet!

I'm getting extremely anxious as well ):