University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Application Thread (2011-2011 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on Dec. 9 and was put in a holding category about a week later. Have not heard anything until yesterday when I received my acceptance email!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting accepted heels. Can I ask if you had done anything to update your status between the interview and the acceptance? Did you do pharmacas academic update and have UNC receive it already?

Yes I did complete the Pharmcas Academic Update and had my transcript sent to Pharmcas. I would assume that UNC has access to the update but I couldn't say for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to the Asheville campus!

Who's with me? :D

Congrats!! But I thought your interview was at UNC, was asheville your second choice? Ahh I go to UNC as an undergrad and live nearby so I really hoped to get into UNC campus :/ hope there's still spots left...

I did indeed interview at UNC, and I got assigned to the asheville campus. I really think it was because I talked about backpacking and mountain biking a lot in my interview! But honestly I'm really excited, I love the city and I think it'll be a great experience

And yes I'm definitely attending!

No activity in over a week, any new status updates?

I have been on hold since November 7th, just received an email of acceptance to the Chapel Hill campus today!! So excited! To everyone else still waiting, don't give up hope!

I have been on hold since November 14th and just got my acceptance email!!

Been on hold since Dec. 9th and I was accepted today as well. Congrats to everyone and I am looking forward to the semester :D

Edit: Chapel Hill campus as well.

Last edited:
I've been on hold as well, since 1/27, but just got accepted yesterday to the Asheville campus! :laugh: This campus was my 2nd choice though... anyone familiar with the area? I only had a chance to visit the Chapel Hill campus when I had the interview and I'm from out of state (CA), so any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview on Tuesday. Is there a way to know ahead of time which campus you are interviewing for? The interview is at the Chapel Hill campus.

Rankings don't really matter in pharmacy school, IMO...if you look at the methodology behind them it seems kind of silly. I don't think a ranking needs to show UNC is a great school, though. But this way of ranking schools is more like a popularity contest. My point is, hopefully people are choosing UNC based on their visit and interview, and not because they're #2 on this website. If you're accepted to the Asheville campus, make sure you inquire about the live video lectures and staff at that campus, and make sure you want to basically take distance-ed courses throughout pharmacy school in a room with around ~25 students.

Asheville is an interesting place. It's probably the biggest city in mountainous western North Carolina, although it's kind of secluded from other large NC cities (3-4 hours drive). For things to do, Asheville has a big art scene, lots of good indie musicians roll through the city, and there's some great breweries. It's seriously mountainous up there too, so any sort of hiking or camping activities will be readily accessible.

As for UNC-Asheville's campus, it's a pretty small school. I went to their winter graduation ceremony, and the entire graduating class across all majors fit into one auditorium. The campus is very hilly and a bit labyrinthine, but I'm sure you get used to it. One good thing is that parking on campus is cheap (and possibly free for graduate-level students), because it's probably a lot more difficult to get around without a vehicle in Asheville.

Hope that helped! And congrats on getting in!!!!

Thanks for the info!! Greatly appreciate it :) I had no idea about the area/school because I, too, like many others - interviewed at the Chapel Hill campus and was told that if you were interviewing here, you are considered for admission to this campus. So I thought that was already decided prior to our interview. I'm sure Asheville is a beautiful campus as well but I absolutely loved Chapel Hill, and I'm not too sure how well I'll do with telecomm and video-lectures. I'm actually considering withdrawing my Asheville offer and waitlisting for Chapel Hill. Anyone know someone who's done that before? I don't know how slim my chances will be, but I'm still GREATLY swaying over UNC, UOP, and UW as of now, so.....!!! eeek need to decide soon.. they were all great and it's hard to make the decision!

Thank you again~!!

I'd suggest, if you do not know how well you will do over video-lectures or if you have taken online classes and didn't do well (or did do well, but had a hard time getting stuff done for them etc), I'd recommend going to one of the other schools you have gotten accepted to. I mean both those schools are really good as well.
I actually know at least a few people and I will be declining the offers we got to UNC-Chapel Hill campus quite soon, so your chances of acceptance to that campus might not be that bad after all. The decision, of course, is yours to make, but like I said, you will be taking almost all your classes online with only a dozen (or a couple dozen) people, while paying the same amount of money as others who are at Chapel Hill. I think they might be accepting people to satellite campuses lately because their Chapel Hill campus has been filled, but as people accept offers from other schools, space will open up and offers to Chapel Hill will be sent out.
Best of luck to you and everyone else!

I hope someone who really wants a seat at Chapel Hill will get mine; I'll be sending them an email about declining their offer next week!

Thanks for the info!! Greatly appreciate it :) I had no idea about the area/school because I, too, like many others - interviewed at the Chapel Hill campus and was told that if you were interviewing here, you are considered for admission to this campus. So I thought that was already decided prior to our interview. I'm sure Asheville is a beautiful campus as well but I absolutely loved Chapel Hill, and I'm not too sure how well I'll do with telecomm and video-lectures. I'm actually considering withdrawing my Asheville offer and waitlisting for Chapel Hill. Anyone know someone who's done that before? I don't know how slim my chances will be, but I'm still GREATLY swaying over UNC, UOP, and UW as of now, so.....!!! eeek need to decide soon.. they were all great and it's hard to make the decision!

Thank you again~!!

Anyone have any idea how difficult it might be to gain residency status at UNC?

It is not that difficult. The first thing you should do is change your license to NC. Then get a job to pay NC tax. I know people that were considered residents by their second year.

I would definitely try to get in touch with a current student that has successfully received residency. I know several students were repeatedly denied as undergrads, but it's a little easier to prove you're independent from you're parents when you're 25 vs when you're 18.

has anyone who was accepted to Chapel Hill on March 2nd gotten their letter in the mail? I haven't gotten mine yet...

just gave up my spot at UNC...hopefully that opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist!! best of luck

Has anyone heard from UNC?

I chose to be placed on the alternate list for the main campus instead of attending one of the satellite campuses. After I sent in the form, I never got a reply back, not even to say they received the form :( I called and left a message and e-mailed too. I don't want to seem pushy but that was over a month ago and I just want to make sure I am still being considered. Is anyone in the same position or have gotten a response after submitting the alternate form?

Congratulations to everyone that was accepted! I was just wondering was there anyone that was accepted with a PCAT below 80?

Thanks!

Yea was anyone accepted with a PCAT under the 80th percentile? I just took the PCAT and I scored at the 79th percentile.