University of North Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Banana Hammock

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else planning on ranking UNC in their top 3 or 4? I really liked the program, and can't think of any negatives. Anyone turned off by the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that UNC is a great place. It is number 5 on my list though. The one negative thing that I experienced was that it seems to be in Duke's shadow (both literally and figuratively). However, UNC has a very different feel than Duke, and that is a positive in my book.

Did you look at UVA? Just like your UNC question, I cannot think of any negatives for UVA.

I agree, UVA is a great place. I would have ranked it in my top 3, but my wife nixed it. This marriage stuff is tough. Thanks for your input, and good luck. Did you look at Brown?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that this marriage stuff is tough. I was a big fan of Brown. I thought the residents were very bright and happy. I really liked UVA as well, I'm just not sure about the area. I thought UVAs residents were some of the most intelligent I've seen. How about U of M? I'm think I'm between U of M and Brown.

Yep, I'm going with Michigan #1. Are you considering Northwestern?

Brown was great. The atmosphere is was very friendly, yet academic. Plus, Providence is a very nice small city. Brown is a strong New England program without the traditional New England attitude.

Ahhhhh you left that hanging out there.......Being from CT......What is the "traditional New England Attitude"? I must know!

Generally speaking, of course, New England is the mecca of medicine. The traditional New England attitude knows this fact, promotes this fact, and exploits this fact. Example: Traditionally, many programs have taken pride in working their residents too hard because they are a pretigiuous New England programs that many students would do "anything" to train there.

Any thoughts of the UNC internship or other aspects?

UNC seemed like a solid program to me. I just think I'd go crazy living in a small college town. I have it ranked somewhere in the middle of my list. Regarding the intern year, it doesn't seem that easy, especially since there are two q3 call months.

Rold