1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

University of North Dakota: School of Medicine???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 14457, Aug 26, 2002.

1. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    Any one heard anything about University of North Dakota? About thier medical school? Any one know of a site where i can check on stats on thier school? Anyone ever been there?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yep.

As a former North Dakota resident, I applied to UND as it was my state school.

If you're a ND resident, you'll be admitted, provided that you have a pulse. If you're not a ND resident, your check will be cashed, and you'll be mailed a rejection letter.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me: [email protected].

Cheers,
    doepug

4. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :laugh:

5. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    Oh really? :) lol I will try anyway.

6. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Good luck to you... UND can always use a few extra bucks.

Be forewarned though - their website has the following in italics: "Due to the large number of qualified applicants from North Dakota, other non-North Dakota citizens are discouraged from applying."

Who knows? Maybe you'll be the exception. Just remember that they don't participate in AMCAS.

Best,
    doepug

7. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just bumped into a few UND students the other day at the hospital I work at. As far as I could tell, they were just as "med student-ish" as all the other ones I've seen. Plus, they get these nifty white coats with green lettering.

8. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    I don't know how they accept people but I am still going to try. I would like to go to UND it would be closer to where i plan to help out... I plan to be a doctor on a reservation in South Dakota. So I believe it is near there... I have family who live there also..I still have a few years to think it over...

9. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Sorry that I offended you.

I only meant to imply that North Dakota residents have a unique advantage among medical school applicants, since we are almost assured admission to medical school (a considerable majority of in-state applicants are accepted to UND). UND's average GPA and MCAT scores are substantially below the national average for accepted applicants, thereby making it relatively easy for North Dakotans to become physicians. This is a noble mission on UND's part, since the state will soon be in great need of physicians.

UND is a great school for rural medicine, and it does a very good job of fulfilling its mission to supply physicians for the upper midwest. It remains unusual for a state as sparsely populated as ND to have an allopathic medical school, since several other states (ME, DE, MT, WY, ID, AK) have no such institution. UND does, however, have to struggle to remain accredited. On the whole, I respect UND; however, it should be known that North Dakotans can gain admission to medical school easier than residents of almost any other state.

10. Kovox

Kovox Going Places
    7+ Year Member

When are you applying?

11. Spidey

Spidey Leorl's official stalker
    7+ Year Member

Hmm so if you went to ND for undergrad then you'd be considered a resident of north dakota right? Damn if I was american I'd be tempted to do that just so I could have a really good chance at my safety school

12. wolferman

wolferman Member?
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    doepug,
    I don't get it. Why do you say UND's odds are so bad? MSAR 2003-2004 says that 137 out-of-staters applied last year and that 50 were interviewed. That's a 36.5% chance of an interview. Then, 12 were admitted. That's a 8.8% chance of matriculating there. I'm confused.

13. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

UND has five spots for Minnesotans, due to a reciprocity agreement with the University of Minnesota.

UND also tends to attract Native American applicants, since there is a formal program (INMED) for them. American Indian applicants are considered to be North Dakota residents, regardless of where they live. I think it's reasonable that most of the 7 remaining spots (of the 12 you mentioned) were taken by INMED students.

It is possible for out-of-staters to attend UND, but the chances are slim.

doepug

14. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well... in order to be a resident of ND:

1) you must be a US citizen or permanent resident
    2) you must pay state and local taxes in ND
    3) you must vote in ND
    4) you must register your car/get your driver's license in ND
    5) you must reside in ND for the length of time required by UND
    6) you must maintain a permanent address in ND

I'm not so sure it'd be a safety school for you...

15. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    Interesting... I might have a good chance..I will have to see though, I am very interested in NYU. I have to go check out NY first:)

16. actually, UND takes a decent number of people from Montana and Wyoming through WICHE each year from what I understand. I do have roots in ND, but they are not really "strong ties" so I didn't apply there. Just as well cause I am very happy with where I ended up!

17. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

ND state law requires that residency be for at least one year before the application deadline; strong preference is for long-term residents. However, residency for purposes of admission may also be acquired by undergraduate work in ND.

Native Americans, applying through the INMED program are exempt from residency requirements provided they are enrolled in a a federally recognized Indian tribe.

Other than Native Americans, only WICHE (Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education) students (from western states without a medical school) and a few Minnesota residents with ties to the Red River Valley in far eastern ND get any consideration for the 20% of the class that may be filled with non-residents.

UNDSOM emphasizes the preparation of primary care physicians along with strong commitment to rural health programs. There is also a strong commitment to health care for Native Americans.

The class size is also very small: 56 From the MSAR (2003-2004):
    For the class starting in 2001, there was a total of 261 applicants; 144 were interviewed, 94 ND residents, 50 non-residents. New ENTRANTS (not total admitted) consisted of 44 ND residents, 12 out-of-staters, including INMED, MN and WICHE applicants.

Applicants who do not fit the profile given, cannot meet these general criteria, or are not interested in the emphasis and nature of this curriculum, should not waste their time and money applying.

There is more to be known about a medical school than just the numbers. ND is not a suitable medical school for people who want to be brain or cosmetic surgeons praticing in large metropolitan areas or who will be seeking "prestigious" residencies.

18. Silvertip

Silvertip Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a Montana resident and as a WICHE applicant I was interviewed at North Dakota last year. I believe that it is an excellent program, particularly if you plan on practicing rural or small town medicine. In order to be considered for an interview, one must be a WICHE certified applicant (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming...), a Northern Minnesota resident, or an ND resident. One of the medical students answering questions at the interview was originally a Montana resident, took a year off to get ND residency, and then was admitted to UND as a resident. She loved it. Also, I guy I went to high school with is a 3rd or 4th year at ND and he and his wife have told me on occasion that it is a perfect match for them. Best of luck!:cool: :D :cool:

19. Yay! Montana rocks!:clap: :clap: My dad was born and raised in Montana and it is the most beautiful place I've ever been. I am hoping to visit it again soon, maybe to do some skiing during winter break. Also hope to see Minnesota and North Dakota since I have family roots in those states and have never been before. Two of my friends at Tufts went to school in MN so I'm hoping they will take a road trip with me there over our extended winter break (extra week this year!) OK, that was off on a tangent, need to go clean up my apt. Good luck to all ND applicants!

20. woolie

woolie Intermountain West
    7+ Year Member

This frustrating for me to hear since altho I live in NYC surrounded by all these medical schools, I really want to go to a medical school in a more rural area and then practice medicine as a GP in a small town. That to me is heaven on earth. A school like UND is where I would like to go, and yet I shouldn't even waste my money applying. I have even seriously considered moving out west just to gain residency but that's too far-fetched for me right now.

I am going to really have to research which schools will even consider a NYC applicant even when she says she wants rural medicine; will they think I am just full of %^&*?

:confused:

21. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Woolie: There are a number of other medical schools in the US which also stress rural medicine, although I cannot remember all off the top of my head. I know Arizona is one with a strong rural commitment, but they accept only Arizona and WICHE applicants. Arkansas is another, but, like Arizona, Arkansas residency is critical. In fact, it is likely that many state schools have some commitment to rural areas. In NY State, look at Albany, Stony Brook, Upstate, Buffalo, Rochester.

If you want to have any chance of convincing any that a resident of the Big Apple is seriously interested, you will have to show some evidence of knowing what "rural" is. The best way of demonstrating that, unless you were born and raised in a rural environment, is by by doing volunteer work in a rural American hospital or practice, not at a hospital in the New York metropolitan area. Whether a summer's worth of experience will be enough, I don't know.

Statistics show that medical school graduates from rural backgrounds are more likely to return to rural areas to practice.

22. Penn State and UVM would be good east coast choices for you, and these med schools both like NY residents (although they won't tell you so). They are in absolutely gorgeous areas too! Although U of Maryland is an urban school, they require an 8-week rural medicine rotation (usually done in-state) for ALL students during the 4th year, so that might be a good option as well. My school, Tufts, requires students to perform one of their 3rd year rotations at a semi-rural/small city location like Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Mass. or Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, Maine. MCV also has some kind of rural medicine program that might be worth checking out. So I think there are actually more opportunities than you might think and that many schools like to have a balanced class with students who want to do rural medicine, urban medicine, and anywhere in between. If you have your heart set on practicing on the West Coast or Midwest, you might want to consider a residency change; but if you are open to practicing anywhere some of the East Coast choices that I mentioned are cool options. oh yeah, apply to Dartmouth too; also a top-notch school in an amazing area..

23. woolie

woolie Intermountain West
    7+ Year Member

Actually I did grow up in a tiny (pop. 2500) town in Massachusets and my dad's family is from WAY up in northern Maine. I would love to work in Aroostock County or elsewhere in Maine, or in New Hampshire where my other grandparents lived. Ok, so I really am a rural person at heart.

I will follow up on these schools that you mention. These are great suggestions!

24. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    UNDM, is one of my top schools i am considering for med school. Interesting info on it.... I may go to either NYU or OHSU. I think OSHU seems like a good place too. But UNDM, seems like the good place for rural medicine,etc. :clap:

25. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

UWSOM (Seattle) also has a strong rural medical education program. Being ranked #1 in primary care, it is quite a competitive school to get into. Out-of-staters from outside the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) area are considered only if they have a very strong committment to primary care.

26. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    Interesting..I never heard of that medical school in Seattle, I will have to check it out. I don't know if I want to live in seattle though. lol. Some of my top choices are: University of North Dakota Medical School, New York University, OHSU, and I have a few others, I am thinking of...

27. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

You're in Oregon, and you've never heard of U. of Washington School of Medicine? :eek:

28. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    lol, I heard of it, i meant the one you were talking about in Seattle.

29. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    apply to UVM if you want to do rural medicine-- on the secondary they ask you to list the names and approximate populations of every town you've lived in. obviously, being a nyc resident isn't going to help you out here, but having grown up in a rural area will help you out. i think they're also interested in people who want to stay in the northeast. just don't apply to UVM this year-- i'm applying and i only want a small pool to compete with ;) :laugh:

ECU (eastern carolina university) is a great school for rural/family med, but you have to be an nc resident.

30. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

That is the one in Seattle I was talking about. :confused:

31. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    :confused: lol, I was thinking of University of Washington, of Vancouver. LOL. But that is just the university, not the school of medicine..

32. Northerner

Northerner Coquettish Haberdasher
    10+ Year Member

bump...anyone waiting anxiously this year for some sort of word from UND like me? interviews, etc.?

33. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

If you are interested in rural family practice don't get hung up on a particular medical school, as you can see from above that many schools can give you that experience.Getting a family practice residency in these "out of the way" places is very easy-even if getting into their med schools is difficult. If you want a rural medicine residency they will be thrilled to have you and teach what you need to know.

34. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    good 2 know

35. Finn

Finn Member
    7+ Year Member

As a Wyoming resident I went to physical therapy school at UNDSOM and loved it. I wanted to apply their this year for medicine but since I have already utilized WICHE (Western Interstate Comission of Higher Education), I am uneligable for funding. So, I can't even apply to UND.

I am applying to UWSOM in seattle, through WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) which sounds like an awesome school. As for UND, it has a good reputation and I have had quite a bit of interaction with family practice residents from UND. However, the UNDSOM curriculum is all problem based. Some may like this but I do think that the students score a bit lower on the USMLE complex.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

36. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    u 2

37. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

that's so weird that that north dakota takes in so little out of state residents. i mean that's not wierd in itself, but its weird that my pre-med advisor has told me and all of the pre-meds at my school to apply to that school ( i passed, no offense to anyone)

and no, i'm not in north dakota, i'm in new york