University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which schools have released applicants so far?
I was released sans interview (i.e. Rejected) on Jan 16th by UTHSCSA, UTMB, and UT Houston. Back in late December, I was released by Texas A&M.

Members don't see this ad.

You guys think this was also TCOM's final release or are there more coming?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone here deciding between El Paso and Tcom. What's your decision currently?

Call me crazy but most likely TCOM.
If that is considered crazy, you are in good company at TCOM :D
It is a great school, with great people, faculty, staff...even the janitors are super nice (they always used to challenge us to ping pong)
Not only that, you are in the Arts district of Ft. Worth! Can take a break, walk out of the library from studying and meditate over at the Amon Carter or Kimball, or if you want to go downtown for some late night partying, its 5 minutes to get down there, plus free parking! And there are several good eateries all around there (In-n-out, Jimmy John's [they deliver directly to the library!], Ginger Man [pretzel dogs!], Chipotle, Braums, Sweet Sammies, Fireside Pies, Bearded Lady, Rodeo Goat, Einstein Bros. Bagels, and like 50 Starbucks)

Reactions: 3 users
And 4....Interviewed way back in August. Been a terrible wait.
Me 5, or 6, or 7. I'm definitely hopeful but still looking at my options for next year. Feb 3 can't come soon enough!

Me 8! Still under review and nervous as heck. Got a bunch of release emails like everyone else. Come on Feb 3rd!

Does anyone know why my status still says "you have been invited for an interview" even though today is match deadline. Really nervous...

Does anyone know why my status still says "you have been invited for an interview" even though today is match deadline. Really nervous...

Did you already interview? If you haven't, I'd email Caroline and find out your true status.

Did you already interview? If you haven't, I'd email Caroline and find out your true status.
I did. I interviewed last week. Maybe my app is being reviewed but they just didn't get around to changing the status. Hope it's good news Feb 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did. I interviewed last week. Maybe my app is being reviewed but they just didn't get around to changing the status. Hope it's good news Feb 3.

Oh, it can take weeks for your status to change after your interview. If you look earlier in the thread, other people had the same issue.

If anyone wants, I can write out what the messages mean, with data gathered from previous

One of the people I had interviewed with was on the committee, and so she took down very detailed notes.
I just know that when they reviewed my file with her notes, they probably went "well, he loves to cook and bake, but apparently he has a fear associated with deflated pâte à choux..."

Since the deadline for schools to submit your rank was yesterday, can I assume that I'm 100% at least waitlisted if I'm still "under review"?

Since the deadline for schools to submit your rank was yesterday, can I assume that I'm 100% at least waitlisted if I'm still "under review"?
My portal status changed from "Under Review" (yesterday) to "Application status is offline pending the results of February 3, 2014 medical school admissions match" (today).
I don't know what either status means at this point. However, as along as the message doesn't slip into the passive past tense ("has been reviewed") I think we should remain optimistic.

Reactions: 1 users
My portal status changed from "Under Review" (yesterday) to "Application status is offline pending the results of February 3, 2014 medical school admissions match" (today).
I don't know what either status means at this point. However, as along as the message doesn't slip into the passive past tense ("has been reviewed") I think we should remain optimistic.

Yep, that's what mine says too. Here's to the long wait to Feb 3.

Here is a glossary of meanings:
Application has been received - means they received the TMDSAS application
Application is complete - you have turned in everything, and it is going to the board for decision
Invited for interview - means you are invited for an interview
Application is under review - means that you have not been rejected (at that time). This is the most complicated status, since it can mean a few things: 1) you just interviewed and are currently on the board's agenda, 2) you have been ranked and are going to match, 3) [if no match] you are in queue to be waitlisted, or 4) you are a MedSci, have interviewed, and they are now waiting for you to finish the semester to give final decision on your account. It basically means no rejection but that you will be accepted or waitlisted. MedScis will see this as their status after interviewing, and have it throughout the spring semester [do not worry, and you guys should be studying for Anatomy and Physiology!].
You are on the waitlist - you are on the waitlist...IIRC, you will see a change on the myHSC before you get the phone call, which happens typically at 9 or 10am CST (afternoon calls come in at 1.30pm CST).
Application has been reviewed - rejection (MedScis typically see this around late April to mid-May).
Now that you've been accepted... - you are in like Flynn, check the portal and email for more updates (this is for all programs)
We are unable to admit every applicant due to limited of seats - This rejection only pops up if you are applying to non-TCOM programs (MedSci, PhD, etc)

Reactions: 2 users
A word of advice for current MedScis who have interviewed: unless you have been accepted during the spring semester or match (both rare), once May 1st rolls around, get your TMDSAS filled out immediately, and have all transcripts that are free (community colleges, UNTHSC, some other colleges with awesome registrars) sent to TMDSAS, as well as looking into switching to CRM (if you do not have any job lined up). You do not want to stop and wait for any acceptances. It sounds super trivial and like regurgitated advice, but I could name dozens of previous MedScis, including myself, who just spent the summer waiting and feeling confident that you are going to get in, and then the first day of orientation happens and you are helpless. Be kind to future you and knock it all out :)

Pretty good list. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

When you guys login to tmdsas, are you still able to click the ranking button or has it disappeared for everyone until match results are released?

When you guys login to tmdsas, are you still able to click the ranking button or has it disappeared for everyone until match results are released?
It has disappeared for everyone because the change deadline has passed.

The "offline" status is the same for everyone. I have been accepted to TCOM, and have turned in my transcripts to them. However, my status says the same about offline status until Feb 3rd. I imagine this will change back when my pre-match offer is confirmed on Match Day (unless I match into TTech-El Paso).

I feel like I need to be more specific about my previous question because I found a post from a previous year that is concerning me.

When I login to tmdsas I I can't even find an option to find my ranked schools (only tcom in my case). This sounds like bad news to me.

I feel like I need to be more specific about my previous question because I found a post from a previous year that is concerning me.

When I login to tmdsas I I can't even find an option to find my ranked schools (only tcom in my case). This sounds like bad news to me.

I think you're fine. I just logged into TMDSAS, and mine has disappeared as well. It was there late in the evening on Jan 21st. I think we just have to patiently wait until Feb 3rd. ;) A new and hopefully, gloriously positive, category called 'Click to Go to School Ranking' will magically appear by 8:00 central time on Feb 3rd.

BTW, are there any other BYU grads or other LDS applicants here who have been accepted to TCOM?

If so, do you know if there is a club at TCOM for our faith or a spouses group? I haven't found one listed yet. (Yes, I know we have RS and EQ in our individual wards ;))

Last edited:
I think you're fine. I just logged into TMDSAS, and mine has disappeared as well. It was there late in the evening on Jan 21st. I think we just have to patiently wait until Feb 3rd. ;) A new and hopefully, gloriously positive, category called 'Click to Go to School Ranking' will magically appear by 8:00 central time on Feb 3rd.

You made me feel so much better. Thanks again!

BTW, are there any other BYU grads or other LDS applicants here who have been accepted to TCOM?

If so, do you know if there is a club at TCOM for our faith or a spouses group? I haven't found one listed yet. (Yes, I know we have RS and EQ in our individual wards ;))
The only associated groups are Campus Bible Study Group (CBSG), Christian Medical Association (CMA), and Medical Association of Catholic Students (MACS). You can, however, start a student organization rather easily there. Here is some more information: http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200313/student_development/453/student_organizations

I'm confused. I think all of us can't see our ranks or even have the button for it anymore.

I understand there is an informal network. The BYU/LDS population must be non-trivial, owing to BYU being among the top feeder schools year after year.
(Religious stats for Tarrant County: http://www.city-data.com/county/religion/Tarrant-County-TX.html).

Anyone know anything about the 1 year med sci program UNTHSC offers? Suggestions? When to apply? Looking at options in case I don't match on Feb 3.

Anyone know anything about the 1 year med sci program UNTHSC offers? Suggestions? When to apply? Looking at options in case I don't match on Feb 3.
The Masters in Premedical Science (MedSci program) is a Specialized Masters Program (SMP) that gives a student the chance to show schools that they are both fit and prepared for medical school. Its a pretty great program, starting off pretty 'slow' if you do not need the MCAT required coursework, but quickly accelerates to be pretty busy. The courses coincide with material taught at TCOM, which is why TCOM and the GSBS have the Bridge program set up for qualifying persons (for people who they like but they want to see if they can handle the rigors of medical school).

From a student's perspective, it is tough. Plain and simple, especially if you are coming in straight from undergraduate. It isn't as hard as the TCOM curriculum, but you still have a buttload of work and effort that you need to put into it. Since it is a graduate program, you have to maintain a 3.0 to stay in, and if you fail a class, you are typically kicked out (but you can appeal). But, since you are learning pure medical stuff in a short amount of time, you get the chance to experience if medical school is right for you, as well as if you can handle the rigorous schedules. The program does help out as well while in medical school, since relearning material is 3x easier than learning it from scratch (especially for TCOM). Many of my classmates in medical schools across Texas have already been demolishing medical school because they went in with a full understanding of their studying potential, how to study, what topics they need to focus most of their attention on (hard to do off the bat, but easier once you have the material down), and how to improve yourself.

If I were you, I would prep up the application for the program immediately, so that you can send it off if you hear no good news on the 3rd. But if you want an opinion if you should go for it if the 3rd turns out unfavorably, I say go for it. It preps you for TCOM 90% (the 10% is the OMM and extraneous topics) since they have the same lecturers and same material (for the most part), preps for other medical schools about 85% (they teach the same stuff), and you get a Masters degree out of it!

Just remember that it is a risk. Doing well can open up some doors, but getting a C in a class is pretty detrimental to your chances (well with TCOM at least) from what I've seen with friends.

I've also heard that Med Sci students get a guaranteed interview? Do they participate in the match? How does the whole process work? Are the people who come off the waitlist usually med sci students?

MedSci honestly hasn't impressed me.

I know 3 people who did the program:
2 of them did well--and still did not get into TCOM. They are at other osteopathic schools.
1 did mediocre--didn't get accepted anywhere else--and I think is heading to the Caribbean.

2 of them did well--and still did not get into TCOM. They are at other osteopathic schools.
1 did mediocre--didn't get accepted anywhere else--and I think is heading to the Caribbean.

I did med sci and I'll be matriculating at UTSW. Many people in my class got into Texas med schools. It all depends on the whole app. This program is not meant to be a guaranteed admissions program.

I will say that you do need to do well. I had a ~3.9 GPA in the program and I'm sure that it helped, no doubt.

I've also heard that Med Sci students get a guaranteed interview? Do they participate in the match? How does the whole process work? Are the people who come off the waitlist usually med sci students?

No guaranteed interview even if you have A's and B's. Seems like the people I know that have interviewed are >3.5 medsci gpa, but take that with a grain of salt since people don't share their gpa very much. We don't participate with the match exactly, but it's possible to match(I'm hoping for that). Most of the past Medsci's I've talked to from TCOM got in at some point after the match so I guess you could insinuate that medsci's get "priority" on waitlist. They have told us that the class is essentially competing with each other and not with the rest of the applicants, which is why we don't follow the match.

I suppose each case is different. One of my best friends is in the program now and he is literally one of the smartest people I know. He says the program is extremely challenging and feels it will prepare him for medical school. Several people in his class have already matched to schools in TX. I recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their chances of matriculating.

No guaranteed interview even if you have A's and B's. Seems like the people I know that have interviewed are >3.5 medsci gpa, but take that with a grain of salt since people don't share their gpa very much. We don't participate with the match exactly, but it's possible to match(I'm hoping for that). Most of the past Medsci's I've talked to from TCOM got in at some point after the match so I guess you could insinuate that medsci's get "priority" on waitlist. They have told us that the class is essentially competing with each other and not with the rest of the applicants, which is why we don't follow the match.

I was a medsci last year and I am currently a first year at TCOM. Last year, my understanding was that medscis aren't involved in the match process unless they interviewed at other Texas schools. A fair amount got accepted before the match, and a lot of us were accepted in May and June.

Last year I think interviews were guaranteed to those of us in good academic standing (no C's), but I could be mistaken. There are definitely no acceptance guarantees. I know of several people with 4.0s who were rejected. You really need to have a solid app in addition to a good medsci GPA to get a spot. That being said, I absolutely believe that the program was worth the time and money and I'm sure it helped me get in.

I was a medsci last year and I am currently a first year at TCOM. Last year, my understanding was that medscis aren't involved in the match process unless they interviewed at other Texas schools. A fair amount got accepted before the match, and a lot of us were accepted in May and June.

Last year I think interviews were guaranteed to those of us in good academic standing (no C's), but I could be mistaken. There are definitely no acceptance guarantees. I know of several people with 4.0s who were rejected. You really need to have a solid app in addition to a good medsci GPA to get a spot. That being said, I absolutely believe that the program was worth the time and money and I'm sure it helped me get in.

How late did they do interviews for your class?

A huge chunk of MedScis interviewed in December as well...I want to say about 7-10 MedScis per day during that one week right after classes ended for the winter (35-50?), and there were one or two per interview block if they had really good stats and all their stuff turned in.

During my interview this year, there were about 5 current MedScis, and two previous MedScis (me included) a week before their classes ended