University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year had:
1) Describe osteopathic medicine (don't just wiki the response, because they will know you are phoning it in; try talking with a DO or ask on the DO discussion boards)
2) Why you chose osteopathic medicine
3) Explain why you went to more than one school (if you did)
4) Update info from TMDSAS (important if you are applying much later than your primary app submission and just discovered the cure for basal cell carcinoma or something)

I also did the app for PhD, and they ask for some extras...off the top of my head it was:
1) Career goals and how can you achieve these goals
2) Describe research experience, and why do you loooooove research (nothing about marrying it, though)
3) Volunteer activities
4) Why this program
5) Additional info (like what your favorite ice cream is, where to send the oodles of grant money [jk])
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

It seems the topics don't change that much year to year. Use your own words and be specific in your answers (for example, by mentioning a personal experience or relationship).

To current students, what is your typical day like? Do classes start at 8am until noon and your afternoon will depend on your lab group schedule? I am used to waking up at 5am and plan to do the same to study and review before going to class in the morning. I'm most productive in the morning and a noodle at night. Will this be possible to do most studying before 8pm? I'm sure on days before exams i would have to spend the whole day studying but I'm asking about a typical normal day :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll have the same number of waking hours as the night owls. You can do it.

Congrats on getting accepted!!! Don't worry about the college they put you in, it doesn't matter. All I can tell you is to ENJOY YOUR LAST BIT OF FREEDOM. School comes fast and it hits hard. Good Luck.

To current students, what is your typical day like? Do classes start at 8am until noon and your afternoon will depend on your lab group schedule? I am used to waking up at 5am and plan to do the same to study and review before going to class in the morning. I'm most productive in the morning and a noodle at night. Will this be possible to do most studying before 8pm? I'm sure on days before exams i would have to spend the whole day studying but I'm asking about a typical normal day :)

I'm a first year. Depending on the day we have different things we have to do. On tuesdays we have OMM lab for about 2 hrs. Every other tuesday we have Clinical Communications (hired actors for patient interviewing). Depending on the course you're in, you will spend roughly 8 hrs a week in cadaver lab. This is all on top of whatever classes are scheduled. So, you asked what my typical day is like. First off, I don't go to class. Ever. I dont learn well in classrooms and the school posts audio recordings of the lecture that I can listen to at 2x speed. For a non-test week, I'll wake up at 9:00-9:15 and turn on sportscenter. I'll spend 30 mins in front of the tv until I feel the urge to move. After breakfast, I might look over some old notes from the previous days lecture (unlikely lol). At about 10:30 I'll check for the audio recordings. If present, I'll listen to em and take notes at my own pace. There are some days in the week where I don't even go to campus. But if its a tuesday, around 1pm ill head up to campus for the OMM lab. Afterwards, I'll leave and go get somethin to eat with some buddies. I'll then spend around 3-4 hours of the remainder of the night finishing up the days lectures and studying the notes. I usually go to bed around 2am.

On a test week, things go differently. I'll just describe the week we just had as first years. Monday we had lectures, along with 4 hours of cadaver lab on the human reproductive system. On tuesday we had an OMM OSCE where we are required to diagnose and treat a fellow classmate under the supervision of the physician. If we do not perform adequately, we are forced to remediate the exam. Thursday we had a histology exam, and an anatomy practical on repro. Friday we had our written exam. So on weeks like these, I'll go to bed at 3am, wake up at 8, and study about 9 hours a day of solid free studying, along with staying late in cadaver lab to solidify my understanding of the anatomy that will be on the practical.

Granted, some people are much more hardcore than me about their studying regiment. A lot of people go to class, but there are some people like me that don't...you really just have to find your niche and figure out what works for you. I really value my free time, and the time I can spend with my fiance (soon-to-be wife in 7 days!). I know that I could devote myself 100% to becoming the best student, but if I did that there is no way I could be the husband my fiance deserves. So really, just find a healthy balance between medical school and your happiness. If you are unhappy, your grades and relationships will suffer. Feel free to PM me if you have some questions, best of luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a first year. Depending on the day we have different things we have to do. On tuesdays we have OMM lab for about 2 hrs. Every other tuesday we have Clinical Communications (hired actors for patient interviewing). Depending on the course you're in, you will spend roughly 8 hrs a week in cadaver lab. This is all on top of whatever classes are scheduled. So, you asked what my typical day is like. First off, I don't go to class. Ever. I dont learn well in classrooms and the school posts audio recordings of the lecture that I can listen to at 2x speed. For a non-test week, I'll wake up at 9:00-9:15 and turn on sportscenter. I'll spend 30 mins in front of the tv until I feel the urge to move. After breakfast, I might look over some old notes from the previous days lecture (unlikely lol). At about 10:30 I'll check for the audio recordings. If present, I'll listen to em and take notes at my own pace. There are some days in the week where I don't even go to campus. But if its a tuesday, around 1pm ill head up to campus for the OMM lab. Afterwards, I'll leave and go get somethin to eat with some buddies. I'll then spend around 3-4 hours of the remainder of the night finishing up the days lectures and studying the notes. I usually go to bed around 2am.

On a test week, things go differently. I'll just describe the week we just had as first years. Monday we had lectures, along with 4 hours of cadaver lab on the human reproductive system. On tuesday we had an OMM OSCE where we are required to diagnose and treat a fellow classmate under the supervision of the physician. If we do not perform adequately, we are forced to remediate the exam. Thursday we had a histology exam, and an anatomy practical on repro. Friday we had our written exam. So on weeks like these, I'll go to bed at 3am, wake up at 8, and study about 9 hours a day of solid free studying, along with staying late in cadaver lab to solidify my understanding of the anatomy that will be on the practical.

Granted, some people are much more hardcore than me about their studying regiment. A lot of people go to class, but there are some people like me that don't...you really just have to find your niche and figure out what works for you. I really value my free time, and the time I can spend with my fiance (soon-to-be wife in 7 days!). I know that I could devote myself 100% to becoming the best student, but if I did that there is no way I could be the husband my fiance deserves. So really, just find a healthy balance between medical school and your happiness. If you are unhappy, your grades and relationships will suffer. Feel free to PM me if you have some questions, best of luck!!!

About how much time outside of OMM lab would you say students spend on the OMM material for the OSCEs?

About how much time outside of OMM lab would you say students spend on the OMM material for the OSCEs?

Depends on the difficulty of the techniques. For myself, I would probably only spend about 2 hours outside of lab to get the techniques down. I'd maybe spend 45 mins reading about the techniques in the book and the rest of the time just practicing on somebody. You just have to prioritize. We had 3 tests + an OMM OSCE last week, so you really just need to prioritize your time to what you need to study most.

Hi everyone,

I am applying in next year's cycle and was wondering how good my chances would be here. Ill be applying as early as possible, OOS 3.55 cGPA, 3,45 sGPA, 32 MCAT. Decent volunteer, research, shadow experience, also work as a personal trainer. Highly involved in my fraternity and our school's fraternity council. Anyone with similar stats?

Hi everyone,

I am applying in next year's cycle and was wondering how good my chances would be here. Ill be applying as early as possible, OOS 3.55 cGPA, 3,45 sGPA, 32 MCAT. Decent volunteer, research, shadow experience, also work as a personal trainer. Highly involved in my fraternity and our school's fraternity council. Anyone with similar stats?
Hi! I had similar stats. 3.5 cGPA/3.5 sGPA, 33 MCAT (9v, 11p, 13b). However I'm instate. That MCAT is nice though, definitely apply broadly to MD schools too.

Hi! I had similar stats. 3.5 cGPA/3.5 sGPA, 33 MCAT (9v, 11p, 13b). However I'm instate. That MCAT is nice though, definitely apply broadly to MD schools too.
Yeah I'm from Illinois and have had a lot of trouble with MD schools, so I am reapplying DO next cycle. No MD schools here that pull much in state applicants. How early did you submit your secondary? What's your honest opinion about my chances at TCOM? I can handle harsh comments, I'm a realist haha

Yeah I'm from Illinois and have had a lot of trouble with MD schools, so I am reapplying DO next cycle. No MD schools here that pull much in state applicants. How early did you submit your secondary? What's your honest opinion about my chances at TCOM? I can handle harsh comments, I'm a realist haha
I submitted my primary the day it came out, secondary about two days after that. I think you have a chance, just give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Honestly I think if your gpa was above 3.7 then you'd have a good shot. Remember that TCOM only has room for 10% of their class for out of staters.

Honestly I think if your gpa was above 3.7 then you'd have a good shot. Remember that TCOM only has room for 10% of their class for out of staters.
I was also planning on take orgo 2 + lab and anat/phys over the summer at a community college, assuming I got A's do you think that would make me a good shot to get in?

I was also planning on take orgo 2 + lab and anat/phys over the summer at a community college, assuming I got A's do you think that would make me a good shot to get in?

It will only help!

So based on last year's thread, this one won't start moving much until May rolls around. Going to be a tortuous wait.

Good luck to those on the waiting list.

Last year people absolutely were accepted to TCOM before match day. There were at least 15 or so acceptances after the fall semester ended in December/January. I don't personally know of anyone who was accepted on match day, but I know of at least one who was a few days after. There was a second "round" of acceptances in May just after the spring semester ended, and a few smaller batches throughout June. I think there are between 40 and 50 medsci graduates in my class this year at TCOM.

Keep working hard and keep your head up. I interviewed early(ish) too, and my app was under review until the first week of June. I was put on the waitlist, and then accepted June 13th. I'd say the majority of the medsci acceptances came after the spring semester.

Any idea around how many people out of your class were accepted off the waitlist?? Or if any others received an acceptance later or around the same time as you? I'm on the waitlist, and got accepted for medsci (which starts May 27th). Absolute worst thing would be to begin medsci then be accepted to TCOM. Is there even a chance that could happen???

Any idea around how many people out of your class were accepted off the waitlist?? Or if any others received an acceptance later or around the same time as you? I'm on the waitlist, and got accepted for medsci (which starts May 27th). Absolute worst thing would be to begin medsci then be accepted to TCOM. Is there even a chance that could happen???

I knew of someone who was initially accepted to the med sci program but got bumped up to the TCOM class a week or so before classes began. They throw out acceptances at various times...I was accepted in December, some others in January and some others in June, it all depends. There were also late bumps from waitlist because some people reserve their seat for their TCOM acceptance but will pull out at last minute if they get a late acceptance from another school.

Anyone submit mid to late July and get accepted?
If so please provide stats.

Hey! I submitted late July, like the 20th. And didn't get my retake mcat back until early August or something like that. I'm in state, 28 mcat with 25 retake. I had a 3.6-ish cum with 3.7 science gpa. I don't remember the exact number but I had over 100 volunteering hours, and 2 years of leadership as an officer of the executive committee of my sorority (300 members).
I think what really helped me was that I applied to ROME and really emphasized my desire to do rural primary care.
I kinda had a strange application cycle with UNT. I was verified and reviewed by UNT with no interview invite. Which I thought was very strange, but I had essentially given up on UNT. I received an interview invite over winter break, and interviewed like jan 17th ish. I was the last interview day or the 2nd to last. I caught a lucky break because they had added those days due to snow storms.
Furthermore, I didn't match to any tx school. I interviewed at 4 of them. I was pretty crushed about UNT since it was one of my favorites. But at about 10am of match day, I received a separate email stating I was accepted to UNT just not through the match. Anyways, that was my experience!

Reactions: 2 users

Applied end of July.
30 MCAT, 3.3 sci, 3.47 cumulative
Pre-matched.
A lot of extra curriculars and research experience.

Good luck!

Did you only apply DO?

Did you only apply DO?
No. But I did only TMDSAS and AACOMAS. No AMCAS.

My reasoning: I went through a rough junior year, and my GPA dropped significantly. Although my grades went back up senior year, I felt my chances were slim for allopathic. Plus I had visited TCOM before and loved it. DO/MD didn't matter to me, so I didn't think it was worth it to take an extra year to improve my application.

I'm super appreciative TCOM is willing to give me a chance.

Reactions: 3 users
No. But I did only TMDSAS and AACOMAS. No AMCAS.

My reasoning: I went through a rough junior year, and my GPA dropped significantly. Although my grades went back up senior year, I felt my chances were slim for allopathic. Plus I had visited TCOM before and loved it. DO/MD didn't matter to me, so I didn't think it was worth it to take an extra year to improve my application.

I'm super appreciative TCOM is willing to give me a chance.

Sweet! Was just wondering with your awesome MCAT. TCOM is awesome. I was happy to interview there!

Just got moved from under review to wait list. Not sure what that means, but it's at least something new.

Gave up my spot today. Hope one of y'all get it!

Accepted! Also a friend of mine got in too.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, congrats man! Saw you're a fellow Coog. Not many of us from what I've seen so far. Hope to see you on the FB page.

It's all about the burnt orange! Lol jk. See you all in a few months.

I got accepted off the wait list by phone call on Wednesday 6/4 at about 3pm! I found out during one of my medsci classes. So excited to be a part of the TCOM Class of 2018!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!

I was accepted at the same time as well (4 June at 3ish), but didn't want to report it until I got the signed paperwork all in. Good luck to the rest of everyone, and I will update the waitlist thread accordingly!

Reactions: 1 users