University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get pulled off the waitlist yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an acceptance email yesterday morning (June 2nd) around 8:30. I am in state, non-medsci, and I interviewed in early to mid November.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called TCOM yesterday and they said they had handed out 12 acceptances FYI for those of us who are on the waitlist

Reactions: 1 user
The acceptance email states that we are given a two week decision extension, so one might venture to guess that two weeks is the possible time frame for the next round of wait list pulls.

Reactions: 3 users
When did you interview?
I wonder how many people they pulled off yesterday?
Mid-October. Waitlisted in February. This was my only interview so I'm hoping to get in but prepared to give it another go.

To the people who got waitlisted and to the people who came off, what were your stats if you don;t mind? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a big group 3 maybe 4 weeks ago, but that's it so far.
Ohhh... Big as 30+? Or 10+?
I'm accepted to a school in NY but I would rather stay here.. I've not even started to look for housing in NY yet because I thought there would be more movement. :(

Ohhh... Big as 30+? Or 10+?
I'm accepted to a school in NY but I would rather stay here.. I've not even started to look for housing in NY yet because I thought there would be more movement. :(
My timeline was off. It was back in early May and that is the last one I am aware of. I would guess 15? But I really have no idea.

My timeline was off. It was back in early May and that is the last one I am aware of. I would guess 15? But I really have no idea.
Gotcha!!!
Well I guess there wouldn't be any movement from now on.

From the research I've done over waitlists in previous years, it seems like there should be another push off around the end of this month... Say June 26-30 or so. Could be wrong but trying to keep the faith.

It's mandatory except by special permission of the dean. (Orientation is a huge deal in the world of medical education and training, e.g. hospitals will not let you rotate without orientation.)

It's mandatory except by special permission of the dean. (Orientation is a huge deal in the world of medical education and training, e.g. hospitals will not let you rotate without orientation.)
Thank you!

To the people on the WL, what is your plan B? or what are you doing while waiting?

Plan B is reapply. I already have most things in and am ready to go again. Most of my time is spent either checking my status every 5 minutes or scribing...

Plan B is reapply. I already have most things in and am ready to go again. Most of my time is spent either checking my status every 5 minutes or scribing...
Can I ask for your stats. and extracurricular if you don't mind? When did you apply?

My Plan B is also to reapply. I am currently looking for a job and shadowing a DO. I will be volunteering at a local hospital or clinic once my applications are in.

Reactions: 1 users
Plan B: I got accepted to a MS program in NY. It's a guarantee admission program if you meet a certain GPA. However, if I got pulled off, then I would definitely attend TCOM.

While having a DO letter is not necessary , it, for the most part, is only beneficial to your application.

So is it true that the latest we could be accepted off the waitlist is at least 2 weeks before the first day of class?

In the past I've been told of people coming off the wait list as soon as the week before orientation.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I even made an account to help my fellow wait-listers informed, but I was informed the current class is full. It was apparently an unusual year and there was not much movement on the wait list. It's sad news but it also gave me some peace of mind.

As a side note, UT Galveston pulled about 30 people from their wait list so there may or not be a little trickle down.

On the 2015-2016 thread, there are posts stating they have started the interview process.

UT Galveston pulled 30 people from their waitlist recently or overall throughout this cycle...?

Probably recently
there has been a pretty low amount of waitlist movement in recent years

The score report you receive after each exam is thorough enough to get a pretty good idea of what topics you need to improve, and usually you even have a pretty good idea of what the question was. The point of not allowing everyone to see the exams afterwards is to prevent the never ending grade grubbing and arguing that would take place between students and administration, and even amongst students since you will have those one or two people arguing about semantics and trying to get a question dropped while everyone else in the class got it correct. This wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't test frequently, but since you will have an exam about every 2 weeks, this can start to get really annoying, and it eventually becomes nice to just get a score and move on to the next one without the distractions of looking back.

I partially disagree with this statement. There are often times when the report is vague as to the question was. Stating the you missed a question say on the fundamentals of a ACL tear doesn't demonstrate what aspect of your ACL tear knowledge is deficient when there could have been 5+ ACL questions on the exam. That being said,at the very least, its better then nothing.

Historically, there has always been people who at the very last moment, even during orientation, who disappeared because they were accepted somewhere else. TCOM starts earlier then everywhere else, so this is just the name of the game. There was at least one or two people who started on the 2nd day of orientation.

Would I bank on this? No, but for some, some hope is better then no hope.

Last edited:
Historically, there has always been people who at the very last moment, even during orientation, who disappeared because they were accepted somewhere else. TCOM starts earlier then everywhere else, so this is just the name of the game. There was at least one or two people who started on the 2nd day of orientation.

Would I bank on this? No, but for some, some hope is better then no hope.

When's orientation start?

I just called TCOM today. They told me that they would not give out any more acceptance offers this year. It's a wrap guys.

I just called TCOM today. They told me that they would not give out any more acceptance offers this year. It's a wrap guys.
Although I did not apply here, this is probably the worst message I read in a long time....

Created this account just to let everyone know that it's not over yet, I got the call off the waitlist at TCOM yesterday afternoon and I start orientation on Monday. TCOM can and has pulled people off the waitlist all the way up through the first day of class (July 20th). Also for any current or former MedSci's reading this post, you do not need a 4.0 in the program to get an interview or admission to TCOM, just avoid getting C's in any classes and try to stay above a 3.5

Reactions: 2 users
Created this account just to let everyone know that it's not over yet, I got the call off the waitlist at TCOM yesterday afternoon and I start orientation on Monday. TCOM can and has pulled people off the waitlist all the way up through the first day of class (July 20th). Also for any current or former MedSci's reading this post, you do not need a 4.0 in the program to get an interview or admission to TCOM, just avoid getting C's in any classes and try to stay above a 3.5

Were you a medsci student, I'm assuming?

I'd put money on them being a MedSci
but congrats! looks like TCOM didn't throw you to the wolves!

We just had another med sci get pulled off the wait list yesterday and joined us today.