University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :thumbup:

UNTHSC is the institution (University of North Texas Health Sciences Center), TCOM is the college (Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine).

Members don't see this ad.

Do we expect the secondaries to be the same as last years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe they changed the prompts! this is the first and only school I finished secondaries ahead of time..:boom:

Could someone please post the essay prompts for this year? Thank you!

Hey everyone, just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best with this application cycle. I'm am finishing up my first year at TCOM and I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have. I took a year off from school before I started school and came in with an average MCAT and above average GPA. Don't hesitate to ask me or any of the other students any questions on here or through PM. TCOM so far has exceeded all of my expectations and has been a hallmark for collaboration between classmates.

Hey everyone, just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best with this application cycle. I'm am finishing up my first year at TCOM and I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have. I took a year off from school before I started school and came in with an average MCAT and above average GPA. Don't hesitate to ask me or any of the other students any questions on here or through PM. TCOM so far has exceeded all of my expectations and has been a hallmark for collaboration between classmates.

Hello, thanks for answering some questions for us!

1. Can you explain the collaboration thing a bit more? Are most people commuters from afar or do they live around the area? I went to a commuter uni. and it was hard finding people to study with.
2. Are ALL classes still mandatory or is it professor dependent?
3. Do they still charge you for a laptop?

Last edited:
Here are the prompts for this year:

1) What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (1,000 character limit).

2) Please describe your most meaningful health-related experience. (1,000 character limit).

3) (Optional) TCOM seeks applicants who also have exceptional skills outside of academic performance. Please provide an example where you may have demonstrated one of the following:

A. Leadership over a project that involved interaction with people outside your organization
B. Developed a plan to work through a specific situation where your ethics or moral code was challenged
C. Ability to improve by developing and executing a plan to succeed in an endeavor after previously being unsuccessful

Be sure to indicate which characteristic you would like to address at the beginning of your response (2,000 character limit).

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, thanks for answering some questions for us!

1. Can you explain the collaboration thing a bit more? Are most people commuters from afar or do they live around the area? I went to a commuter uni. and it was hard finding people to study with.
2. Are ALL classes still mandatory or is it professor dependent?
3. Do they still charge you for a laptop?

No problem. I would be happy to help!
1. The collaboration thing has been us helping each other out by sharing our notes. For example, there are days when a large portion of the class goes home for the weekend and someone would take notes of the lecture then post it for everyone to use. We have classmates that are really good at creating tables/outlines and they post it for everyone to use. I think TCOM does a good job at picking people with altruistic personalities. I don't know a lot of commuters, but I do know a large number of people that live within a 15 min radius of the school. There are lots of people that study in the library or in the main building so finding a people to study with should not be a problem like it was in undergrad.

2. This might change in the recent future but thus far, classes for first year students are not mandatory except for OMM (but only because you get points for attendance). You have three main types of "assignments" 1. Lecture 2. DSAs 3. MLMs The lectures are your basic talk from a professor using the ppt but those are not mandatory and they are voice recorded for you to listen later on. The DSAs are essentially self-study assignments that you will do on your own time either from home or at school. The MLMs are sessions held that go over the DSAs in more detail with the understanding that the class has done the assignment so they incorporate questions into it. Professors don't like to post the entire MLM (questions and answers) to the class because it discourages attendance and thus it is in your best interest to not miss MLMs because you could miss 1. High yield topics 2. Practice questions

3. Yeah they still charge you for your laptop and an iPad Mini. The reason they do that is because they have installed a few applications on the laptop that are used specifically for school material or school testing but the laptop is all yours and it comes with free repair service. I spilled orange juice on my keyboard and they replaced the entire keyboard free of charge so that is a big benefit.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want me to elaborate on anything else.

Reactions: 2 users
No problem. I would be happy to help!
1. The collaboration thing has been us helping each other out by sharing our notes. For example, there are days when a large portion of the class goes home for the weekend and someone would take notes of the lecture then post it for everyone to use. We have classmates that are really good at creating tables/outlines and they post it for everyone to use. I think TCOM does a good job at picking people with altruistic personalities. I don't know a lot of commuters, but I do know a large number of people that live within a 15 min radius of the school. There are lots of people that study in the library or in the main building so finding a people to study with should not be a problem like it was in undergrad.

2. This might change in the recent future but thus far, classes for first year students are not mandatory except for OMM (but only because you get points for attendance). You have three main types of "assignments" 1. Lecture 2. DSAs 3. MLMs The lectures are your basic talk from a professor using the ppt but those are not mandatory and they are voice recorded for you to listen later on. The DSAs are essentially self-study assignments that you will do on your own time either from home or at school. The MLMs are sessions held that go over the DSAs in more detail with the understanding that the class has done the assignment so they incorporate questions into it. Professors don't like to post the entire MLM (questions and answers) to the class because it discourages attendance and thus it is in your best interest to not miss MLMs because you could miss 1. High yield topics 2. Practice questions

3. Yeah they still charge you for your laptop and an iPad Mini. The reason they do that is because they have installed a few applications on the laptop that are used specifically for school material or school testing but the laptop is all yours and it comes with free repair service. I spilled orange juice on my keyboard and they replaced the entire keyboard free of charge so that is a big benefit.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want me to elaborate on anything else.

Wow, thanks! That was very detailed!

Do we need to wait for our app to be transmitted before we can send in the secondary? Or is a submitted app good enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to wait for our app to be transmitted before we can send in the secondary? Or is a submitted app good enough?
You can submit the secondary once the app is transmitted. They usually send out an email once they receive the app with login and secondary info.

Anyone else having trouble keeping their "most significant healthcare experience" essay to <1000 characters (I called, they mean including spaces). That is REALLY short for what I consider to be a good essay question.

Anyone else having trouble keeping their "most significant healthcare experience" essay to <1000 characters (I called, they mean including spaces). That is REALLY short for what I consider to be a good essay question.
Be concise, cut away fatty verbiage and you will be fine. There is an art to completing a prompt in few words. Last year the prompts were 100 words or less. TCOM doesn't seem to be keen on reading novels.

Reactions: 1 user
Be concise, cut away fatty verbiage and you will be fine. There is an art to completing a prompt in few words. Last year the prompts were 100 words or less. TCOM doesn't seem to be keen on reading novels.
10-4. Was able to cut it down and still have it packed with content. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

If I have no experience with osteopathic medicine, what do you recommend me write in the secondary question that asks if I have any experience with osteopathic medicine?

If I have no experience with osteopathic medicine, what do you recommend me write in the secondary question that asks if I have any experience with osteopathic medicine?
I mean, it also asks what your motivations are to applying to osteopathic medical school. I tied my experience and ambitions/motivations together.

I'm assuming that you mean that you haven't shadowed a DO in the past and thus haven't been exposed in person. If that is the case then you could just write about what you know concerning Osteopathic Medicine and what about it makes you want to enroll in a DO school for your medical education. In addition, I would also point out areas that you would like to learn more about.

TCOM just wants to make sure that you aren't using them as a backup and you are motivated to learn OMM along with a Holistic approach to medicine.

I got the email that they received my primary, and I also got login info from them. But for some reason, I can't access the secondaries. Does it take a while after you receive the email for the prompts to show up?

TCOM is one of the schools where you can start the secondary before they receive your primary. Create an account on the website and you should be able to find them somewhere on the website.

It shows "Secondary" on my "To do" list on the sidebar, but when I click on it, it doesn't show my any prompts

It shows "Secondary" on my "To do" list on the sidebar, but when I click on it, it doesn't show my any prompts

Hmm that's strange. I didn't do anything special. Just googled "TCOM secondary" and made an account on their website. Once I logged in I was able to access the secondary and start working on it.

Edit: MAKE SURE you are logged out of your account before following the steps below:
Step 1: https://my.unt.edu/psp/papd01/EMPLOYEE/EMPL/h/?tab=HSPA_GUEST
Step 2: In the middle of the page under "Admissions Applications" you will see "Osteopathic medicine" and under that you will see "Secondary Application"
Step 3: Click on "Secondary Application" and start a new secondary with a new ID and pin (not similar to your login ID).
Hope it helps!

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I called admissions and she said that the link inside the student portal was broken. She told me to do what @SmilingTooth said and it worked!

UNT is notorious for terrible web systems. When I applied to the SMP last year there they had a similar issue happen where it "broke"...

I got a notification online that I got invited to the interview!!OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!ah!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I got a notification online that I got invited to the interview!!OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!ah!!!!!
Would you mind sharing when your TMDSAS was transmitted? And when did you submitted your secondary? Congrats!

my TMDSAS was transmitted on 6/1/16 and I submitted my secondary on 6/2/16!:)

Darn missed a call from an Unknown number earlier today. Could have been them lol.

Reactions: 1 users
@iforget2 I hope it is them!:)

I didn't get a call yet though, only my online status changed!
They must be getting through the candidates on their pace

I think they will change your status online too. Did you check your account?

I did haha but no change. It still says my application is "complete". The Unknown number is likely just wishful thinking on my part :p

Congrats!!

Waiting on TMDSAS to transmit (submitted 6/8). I have my secondaries written already for TCOM..

@iforget2 I hope it is them!:)

I didn't get a call yet though, only my online status changed!
They must be getting through the candidates on their pace

My status changed, too, but I have not received any kind of notification from them. Hopefully it's coming soon!

I called the admissions today and they said the coordinator will give us a call shortly!
So probably next week or so?
I am so excited!
I keep smiling/laughing randomly lol

I called the admissions today and they said the coordinator will give us a call shortly!
So probably next week or so?
I am so excited!
I keep smiling/laughing randomly lol
Well you deserve those occasional smirks :)

Is worth applying here with a 2.97 gpa (3.8 post bacc) and 500 MCAT. I am also an URM AA.

Hey y'all. Just a heads up, my TCOM portal page says I have been invited for an interview (I'm so excited!). Just wanted to give everyone a heads up to check your portal out!

Edit: didn't see that someone had already posted about the interview status change haha. Also TMDSAS transmitted 6/1 and secondary 5/22 (wanted to get this one done asap haha)

Last edited:
Hey y'all. Just a heads up, my TCOM portal page says I have been invited for an interview (I'm so excited!). Just wanted to give everyone a heads up to check your portal out!

Was this under the "Applicant status" tab?

For those who have gotten IIs, are you in state or OOS?

Edit: didn't see that someone had already posted about the interview status change haha. Also TMDSAS transmitted 6/1 and secondary 5/22 (wanted to get this one done asap haha)
So you made an account before(I have one; where you create your own ID and password)? How were they linked after your app was transmitted?

Last edited: