University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think I can afford Tom Thumb lol. I was pleasantly surprised of how that Kroger by TCU has so many discounted items though.
But Tom Thumb loyalty card gives you discounts on groceries and gas at Tom Thumbs :angelic:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone apply here without a DO or MD letter of recommendation? I'm applying in the 2017-2018 cycle and I don't have a letter writer yet and haven't submitted the secondary yet for that reason. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and submit the secondary now and wait to see if someone will write me a letter (I'm currently shadowing a DO who went to TCOM).

Anyone apply here without a DO or MD letter of recommendation? I'm applying in the 2017-2018 cycle and I don't have a letter writer yet and haven't submitted the secondary yet for that reason. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and submit the secondary now and wait to see if someone will write me a letter (I'm currently shadowing a DO who went to TCOM).
I did. An MD/DO letter is not necessary to get in,though it may help a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did. An MD/DO letter is not necessary to get in,though it may help a little.

Hmm I should just finish up my secondary and send it in. Thanks! I hope I'm not too late sending this thing in

Are there any current students who can recycle books for the incoming students? I know I read it somewhere that that was an option instead of buying every single thing. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Are there any current students who can recycle books for the incoming students? I know I read it somewhere that that was an option instead of buying every single thing. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Buy used from the facebook group, but don't buy everything on that list. I've also had some luck at Half-Price.

Reactions: 1 user

Buy used from the facebook group, but don't buy everything on that list. I've also had some luck at Half-Price.

While at myHSC day, one of the reps (end of OMS1) from my advisory college said there were maybe 2-3 books actually needed for the OMS1 curriculum. The majority of the curriculum, he said, relies upon information presented in PowerPoints.

Also, the school offers a digital library that houses a fair amount of the TCOM related books for reference- just FYI.

While at myHSC day, one of the reps (end of OMS1) from my advisory college said there were maybe 2-3 books actually needed for the OMS1 curriculum. The majority of the curriculum, he said, relies upon information presented in PowerPoints.

Also, the school offers a digital library that houses a fair amount of the TCOM related books for reference- just FYI.
That's good to know, thanks! I may wait until school starts to get the books.

TCOM still has lots of interview spots for this year. Try not to think about it too much and relax while you can!

Do you know how early in advance they call for interviews? Like 1 month before interview date or 2 weeks before, etc.

II! Completed secondary on 10/7 and II on 10/13. Can anyone shed light on the interview day? Thanks in advance!

Hi! I am applying to TCOM this year and submitted my secondary on 9/30. I was worried that this may have been too late, so I'm glad to see that you got an interview?? Were there many others that also submitted late September and beyond that received interview calls your year?

I am OOS, MCAT 510, cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.3, graduate GPA 3.9

I received my third II today! It was strange because I was not expecting a call...I thought it was a prank lol. LizzyM: 64.4; GPA: 3.9; MCAT:499
I have my interview on November 18th, good luck to everyone!

When did you submit your secondary?

Do you know how early in advance they call for interviews? Like 1 month before interview date or 2 weeks before, etc.

Usually 1 month-2 weeks in advance or so

Sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to ask a quick question without having to go through the 17 pages on this thread. I am going through the osteopathic information book, and the tuition of this school caught my eye...$13,000 for resident and $29,000 for non resident???...sounds too good to be true. On the schools website, they also say that they interviewed 636 of the 661 non-residents and accepted 449 of them. Yet, only 12 non residents matriculated. I am an OOS future applicant.

Can someone fill me in on what the catch is? How is tuition this cheap, why did they interview so many applicant, and yet so few non residents attend? Thanks!

Sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to ask a quick question without having to go through the 17 pages on this thread. I am going through the osteopathic information book, and the tuition of this school caught my eye...$13,000 for resident and $29,000 for non resident???...sounds too good to be true. On the schools website, they also say that they interviewed 636 of the 661 non-residents and accepted 449 of them. Yet, only 12 non residents matriculated. I am an OOS future applicant.

Can someone fill me in on what the catch is? How is tuition this cheap, why did they interview so many applicant, and yet so few non residents attend? Thanks!
There is a new thread for 2017-2018 application year, but to answer your questions the school is state-subsidized and so must take at least 90% of the class from Texas residents. Yes, the tuition is very reasonable!

There is a new thread for 2017-2018 application year, but to answer your questions the school is state-subsidized and so must take at least 90% of the class from Texas residents. Yes, the tuition is very reasonable!

Thank you for your response! That is what I figured, that they need to take at least 90%. I misread the statistic and thought they accepted 449 of the 661 non resident applications. But, it was 449 acceptances overall...hehe. Knew it was all too good to be true haha :)

Anyone willing to lookover my TCOM secondary before I submit?