University of Oklahoma 2008 - GO SOONERS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sound off what what
Chikka chikka chikka chikka
My name is wordup-B
the old school G
don't mess with me
cuz you will see
word to ya mother
what's the word-aww you know the rest

and thats pretty much all i've got so far

Hey i was wondering if anyone knows of any good place to live in OKC. I'm pretty new to the area and dont want to wind up back in the hood like I came from outta Compton. Like you can tell from my mad rhyming skillz. Anyway any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by JohnnyOU
I'm taking the MCAT in spring `05... I should have the remainder of my prereqs completed by then and I've also purchased the Kaplan MCAT prep course books to study over the next 12 months as well as the EK audio osmosis set, and a few other MCAT preps. I plan to then apply to OU Med through AMCAS in June `05. As for ECs, I've done a little volunteer work recently in the ER at NRH and plan to do as much as possible between now and the time I apply at OU Med. I'm hoping to go in with an approx. GPA of 3.6, MCAT around 31+, with 100+ undergrad hrs at the actual time of the interview (if I am given one).

I haven't got a lock on any LORs yet, but it's in the back of my mind.

Johnny

Sounds like you're on the right track. You should try to do some shadowing to lock down a good LOR from a physician. Also, do you have any research experience? I did research last summer up at OUHSC and my principle investigator wrote me a good letter. I did the SURE program if you haven't heard of it. I think that this year's SURE class will have been filled, but you should definitely think about applying for it next year. It is sponsered by the Graduate program in Biomedical Sciences at OUHSC. It was a great experience. I also got a letter from the program coordinator (who happens to be a faculty member at the medical school in physiology)--I'm sure that this helped a lot. I was in the program while I was working on my application. Study the MCAT like a crazy man. I didn't study nearly as much as I should have. If you get to it now, you'll do fine. Good luck.

Originally posted by ad_sharp
Sounds like you're on the right track. You should try to do some shadowing to lock down a good LOR from a physician. Also, do you have any research experience? I did research last summer up at OUHSC and my principle investigator wrote me a good letter. I did the SURE program if you haven't heard of it. I think that this year's SURE class will have been filled, but you should definitely think about applying for it next year. It is sponsered by the Graduate program in Biomedical Sciences at OUHSC. It was a great experience. I also got a letter from the program coordinator (who happens to be a faculty member at the medical school in physiology)--I'm sure that this helped a lot. I was in the program while I was working on my application. Study the MCAT like a crazy man. I didn't study nearly as much as I should have. If you get to it now, you'll do fine. Good luck.

Thanks Sharp,
I'm going to look into the SURE program. :)

I don't have any research exp. yet but would like to get some.

Johnny :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Research and hospital experience are great if you can get the experience, but don't stress if you can't get any. There are TONS of people in my class who didn't have either.

That said, make sure everything else is in order!

Congrats everyone! You'll love OUHSC! The faculty and facilities are great, but be prepared to work your a$$ off! : )

Jolopycat,
What year are you? I'm kinda curious about how your average day goes. How many hours a day do you spend studying? Do you study less after an exam block and gradually increase your time every week, or do you just set aside a certain time everyday for work? Sorry for flooding you with questions, but I'm trying to get an idea of what my life will be like this fall. Thanks.

Johnny from what ad_sharp pmed me a while back, an interview isnt that hard to get i think it was a 3.0 and an 8 on the mcat, not sure if it was an 8 on each section or a total score of 8 =o. 8 on each section sounds more likely though :D.

Where do we go to find out about the SURE program? I have not heard of that. Is it only for juniors and seniors?

Good luck to all of you applying!!

M

Originally posted by mamaMD
Where do we go to find out about the SURE program? I have not heard of that. Is it only for juniors and seniors?

Good luck to all of you applying!!

M

Go to http://w3.ouhsc.edu/graduate/SURE_Program/Sure.htm

It has information about the program. You can also read the abstracts from the last two sure classes. It is for juniors and seniors. (I think that you have to have >60 hrs to apply)

Originally posted by Abraham
Johnny from what ad_sharp pmed me a while back, an interview isnt that hard to get i think it was a 3.0 and an 8 on the mcat, not sure if it was an 8 on each section or a total score of 8 =o. 8 on each section sounds more likely though :D.

I'm not sure exactly what the magic combination is, but I thought that I heard somewhere that an 8 on the MCAT and a 3.5 (not 3.0) or greater GPA assured an interview. However, I'm sure that they probably interview a few people who are not in this group because they have good ECs and LORs. Don't put too much stock in this. This is only the rumor that I heard while I was doing research up there. I am fairly confident that OU is a very numbers-oriented school. When they did interviews, they started from the top GPA/MCAT combinations and went down in the preceeding days. I interviewed on the first day and nearly everbody there was >3.8 GPA and 32 on the MCAT and above. A couple of people there had like high 30's on the MCAT, so I felt a little outdone. However, I know others who interviewed on subsequent days and their groups were not as competitve. Moral of the story.......keep high grades and make the MCAT your biznitch and you'll be fine.

It'd be really cool if at least one of you who are about to start at OU Med, would get a section in the Medical School Diary. I would definitely read it, as would anyone else interested in OU.:D

Best wishes,
Johnny

Originally posted by JohnnyOU
It'd be really cool if at least one of you who are about to start at OU Med, would get a section in the Medical School Diary. I would definitely read it, as would anyone else interested in OU.:D

Best wishes,
Johnny

I may do that.

I'd probably do it too. (The journal that is)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I haven't been on here in a while and so when I got on today I was delighted to see this thread about my future classmates. I can't wait to meet you all. Just a little bit about me: I graduate from OU this May (Zoology), I'm also married (my wife is in pharmacy school at OUHSC), and we have one child-a yellow lab named Bentley! Like you guys I'm pretty excited to start school this August, but a little nervous too. Anyway I look forward to getting to know all of you. See you in August!

Oh, I almost forgot. Are any of you going to be working at the OUHSC this summer? I'm going to be doing some research up there and was wondering if any one else was too.

P.S. JohnnyOU I hope you are enjoying those MCAT books that you bought from me-getting rid of them was therapeutic! (Whoa! the weirdest thing just happened, as I was just typing that I think I saw you walk out the door of the Mod. Lang. Lab, was that you?)

Originally posted by king_robert12
Hey guys! I haven't been on here in a while and so when I got on today I was delighted to see this thread about my future classmates. I can't wait to meet you all. Just a little bit about me: I graduate from OU this May (Zoology), I'm also married (my wife is in pharmacy school at OUHSC), and we have one child-a yellow lab named Bentley! Like you guys I'm pretty excited to start school this August, but a little nervous too. Anyway I look forward to getting to know all of you. See you in August!

Oh, I almost forgot. Are any of you going to be working at the OUHSC this summer? I'm going to be doing some research up there and was wondering if any one else was too.

P.S. JohnnyOU I hope you are enjoying those MCAT books that you bought from me-getting rid of them was therapeutic! (Whoa! the weirdest thing just happened, as I was just typing that I think I saw you walk out the door of the Mod. Lang. Lab, was that you?)

Robert,
hahaha... yes that was me.... I didn't notice you but then again all I can see is the tops of heads lurking over flatscreens. Say HI next time. :D

I didn't realize you were still attending OU or I would've given you a hollar. I am enjoying the MCAT stuff I got from you, although much of it is still over my head. Hopefully with another year of studying I can do good on the MCAT and join all you lucky dogs out at OU Med. :D

Take care,
Johnny

Hey king_robert,
It's nice to finally meet another fellow classmate. I thought that we were all alone. Feels pretty good to be in, don't it? Anyhoo, I was curious as to whether or not you've decided on a specialty. I've been reading up on the residencies, but I can't make up my mind about anything. I guess that I'll let the ride get started and figure things out when I get there. And yes, I agree, getting rid of the ol' MCAT books was a very good experience. Holla back, yo.

Hi,
I'll be joining you guys in the fall. :) Does anybody have any ideas about class schedules?? Is it pretty much 8 to 5 each day?

Originally posted by hokte
Hi,
I'll be joining you guys in the fall. :) Does anybody have any ideas about class schedules?? Is it pretty much 8 to 5 each day?

Welcome! Yeah, I think that is pretty much how the schedule will go from what I've heard. However, OU is somewhat flexible with all of the class materials and lectures being on Hippocrates and all. I think that a lot of it depends on whether or not you will be studying in the mods or if you'll be doing it at home.

Hey again guys! I would have said hi to you JohnnyOU but you were almost out the door when I saw you. Next time I'll chase youy down! Good luck with your studying and PM me if you ever need anything. Nice to meet you ad_sharp. I agree with you about the class schedules. I have heard that they are very flexible and attendance policies are rare (which is a very good thing!). I don't know what specialty I will go into. I wish I would figure it out though so that when people ask me I'll have something more to say than "I don't know". A few that I like: Anesthesiology (Good hours, great pay, pretty short residency), EM (same as anesthesiology), Dermatology (Great hours, great pay, little to no malpractice insurance, OU has a derm residency), and IM (I would enjoy the work but pay is low and insurance high). Well, I gotta run but I'll talk to all of you later!

King_robert, your thinking along the same lines as I am about the residencies. I guess we'll just have to figure it out.

My good friend is a MS1 at OU and he says he only goes to class about half the time. He did say the med school professors were trying to crack down on that by giving quizzes during the day to encourage more students to attend the lectures, but they are worth so little that no one goes...lol Well, not "no one", but a lot of them. He said you can pay a certain fee and join Group Notes and take turns taking notes and posting them online for everyone else.

Someone also asked for some good places to live in OKC. One really good apartment complex is Brookwood Village. They are kinda pracey (for me anyways...I'm thinking the 2 bedroom were close to $600 a month and about 800 sq ft) but they are really nice, especially if you have kids (or a dog even)....they have a really nice park area with playground, a walking trail, some small ponds that have ducks and geese and turtles swimming around, a gazillion swimming pools, miniature golf too and all the apartment have alarms, the elementary school is part of the Moore school district so that is good.

Another decent place if money is tight is 74 South apartments, they are located off S Penn and I-240. The 2 bedrooms (which are are 900-100sq ft) are $390 a month (no more than $400) and a few of them have washer and dryer connections. I lived there for over 4 years and never had a sinlge problem though there, a lot of the residents are very nice and quite and a lot of elderly people live there too. One time some single girls moved in downstairs from me and she was SO LOUD, I complain about her 2 times as did another neighboor of mine and she was kicked out immediatly, that was the only problem I ever had there.

My husband works at the OUHSC and it only takes him about 10 mins to get to work from this area (I think it is 12 miles exactly and all highway). You certainly don't want to live up anywhere near the OUHSC.....it is NOT a good area at all belive me.

Anyways, its great to meet some people at OU. I will be transfering there in the fall and am intimidated by the campus....I have been going to Rose State so its a big change for me, I feel like I am will get lost or never meet anyone!! Hope you all dont mind if I ask you about certain classes and professors up there. I will be a Zoology/Biomed Science major.

Marilyn

MamaMD,
You think your intimidated, don't be? Wordup and I had a high school graduating class of 27. Yeah, OKC is a lot bigger than where we're from.

On top of that I have my suspicions that several of my "classmates" were actually NSA operatives trying to get the goods on my master plan. To blow up the sun. Yes blow that mutha up. Have no fear though for I am in the process of constructing a mighty train that will roll through space. The space train to elysium as I call it. Anyway this mechanical monster will actually run off of a small chunk of the sun and fly through space with me, god and the devil all playing a fierce game of chess to determine the fates of other worlders. Yeah it's gonna be pretty fly sorry for you guys though as you will probably freeze unless you start burrowing down into the earth right now. It is not too late you have been warned.

hey ad_sharp my high school class was very small too. I think there were 23 of us. People always laugh when I say that.

Has anyone heard what textbooks most of the MS1's use?? I think I my interview day they said Chung's book was used for gross anatomy. They also said something about just using notes from the professors.

Don't be worried MamaMD. I came from small schools also-about 30 kids in my high school(I went to Crowder-its on Lake Eufaula between McAlester and Eufaula), then transferred to a small junior college in Wilburton (EOSC), and then transferred to ECU in Ada before finally transferring to OU two years ago. It takes a little getting used to, but after a while you will know where everything is and how everything works here at OU. If you ever need any advice or anything you can just pm me! So where did you guys go to high school and where did you grow up? I thought I had seen before that you went to Southeastern ad_sharp-is that right? If so I have some friends that go there (not premed though so you might not know them). Talk to ya'll later!

hotke, I know about the Chung book, but that's all.

I was born and raised in Tulsa until the age of seven when I moved to the counry northeast of Claremore. At thirteen, my father became a minister in the Methodist church and I moved a few more times before graduating high school at Caddo. Caddo is a small town about 12 north of Durant. Since then, I've been doing my undergraduate work at Southeastern Ok St. I had a good time here, but I'm itching for the move. Four years in one place is too long.

Did anybody get the questionaire about the interview process at OU in the mail the other day. How do you feel like it went?

My high school only had 8 in our graduating class.

BTW, I got the questionaire. I wasn't impressed at all w/ most of the interview day. I felt like it was it was very disorganized, and that most everyone missed out on some information because their interview came right in the middle of a presentation. As well, there was a lot of dead space. I gave a few suggestions to streamline things based upon other interview sites. My interview itself went really well though, and was a large part of why I selected OU as a final acceptance.

BTW,
If anyone knows of any pharmacist (full-time) openings in the OKC area (Norman included), please let me know. My wife is looking.

Sharp you need to shut your damn fool mouth. I?m about tired of your new jack jive talk. You have no idea man, Nam was hell. I remember this one time me, chris, jack, joe, and little curly was pinned down in a fox hole we dug with our toothbrushes. Charlies were all around us and we knew we wouldn?t be making it out alive. Just as we were bedding down for the night little curly harris caught a piece of shrapnel from a mortar explosion in his face. That boy couldn?t have been more than 18 or 19, it was the most grizzly sight ive ever seen. It was then that I never wanted more than there to be a God in heaven, but I was never more certain that there wasn?t. we were running low on ammo so we had to resort to bayonets. We waited several days and snuck off to the encampment with Charlie sleeping. I stuck an entire platoon of those little guys. ?This one is for curly and Uncle Sam? I thought. I still have nightmares about that. Ahh dive bombers, so are you gonna spend for the axis or save for taxes?

Originally posted by wordup
Sharp you need to shut your damn fool mouth. I?m about tired of your new jack jive talk. You have no idea man, Nam was hell. I remember this one time me, chris, jack, joe, and little curly was pinned down in a fox hole we dug with our toothbrushes. Charlies were all around us and we knew we wouldn?t be making it out alive. Just as we were bedding down for the night little curly harris caught a piece of shrapnel from a mortar explosion in his face. That boy couldn?t have been more than 18 or 19, it was the most grizzly sight ive ever seen. It was then that I never wanted more than there to be a God in heaven, but I was never more certain that there wasn?t. we were running low on ammo so we had to resort to bayonets. We waited a couple of days and snuck off to the encampment with Charlie sleeping. I stuck an entire platoon of those little guys. ?This one is for curly and Uncle Sam? I thought. I still have nightmares about that. Ahh dive bombers, so are you gonna spend for the axis or save for taxes?

Wordup, we need to talk.

Sharp if by "talk" you mean bring it, then I say to you it has done been brought. So yeah well "talk" but you better bring your dancin shoes cuz your ass is gonna get SERVED bitch (oh he did not just say that :wow: ) yeah its gonna rock your socks off of your feet

Originally posted by wordup
Sharp if by "talk" you mean bring it, then I say to you it has done been brought. So yeah well "talk" but you better bring your dancin shoes cuz your ass is gonna get SERVED bitch (oh he did not just say that :wow: ) yeah its gonna rock your socks off of your feet

Is that how its gonna be? It's on like Donkey Kong.+pissed+

OU came to OSU today and they said their formula for interviews= (3.75 X gpa + MCAT Score)/2 Mcat score =average on each section. If you have 11.20 you get into the first group of interviews where 113 seats were already filled up by the first group so get in or you better stand out in the next two interview groups is what she said. Now when I think about it I dont know if it was overall gpa or science gpa =0.

Originally posted by Abe
OU came to OSU today and they said their formula for interviews= (3.75 X gpa + MCAT Score)/2 Mcat score =average on each section. If you have 11.20 you get into the first group of interviews where 113 seats were already filled up by the first group so get in or you better stand out in the next two interview groups is what she said. Now when I think about it I dont know if it was overall gpa or science gpa =0.

Thanks for the info, Abe. I was wondering how they came up with the scoring for interiew placement. I'm sure that this will help anyone who might be thinking of applying who will look at this thread.

I would definitely read a journal by one of you guys too! I'm a junior, and I'm taking the MCAT next Saturday (ahhhh!!!!), and I will HOPEFULLY be a part of the class of 2009 at OUHSC. I would love to hear how your first year goes. Anyway, the 'CAT calls so I better get back to studying. Congratulations to all of you!!!

~Court

Oh wow, I almost forgot to add....BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'll be applying to OU next year, and I am wondering what do you think is a good score to apply to OU. I am taking the MCAT next week, and am really worried I may not get into OU. I have about a 3.78 from Emory, but all I want is a 30 on the MCAT, but I am thinking I may get like a 28. Do you think a 27-30 can get you into OU? I am worried that I maybe should do early decision to OU, if my mcat is like a 28.

Thanks.

Boomer Sooner!

pm me if you want my stats to compare

FYI: OU did not offer the early decision option this year. A guy on the committee mentioned to me that they had encountered problems with people backing out of it after they were accepted. Though that seems little strange for a number of reasons, most of all because by participating in early decision I'm pretty sure you forfeit your right to back out and go to another school, but whatever--the fact remains.

Pbehzad:
Well, (3.75 X 3.78 + MCAT Score)/2 >= 11.20 => first day interview, so an average of 8.225 would get you a first day interview. That's a 24.675 overall, uhm which makes me think that the 11.2 is a little low. When I went for first day interviews, rumor was that 90% of those interviewed on that day get accepted. Regardless, I think you're money with a score >=28.

Best of luck!

pbehzad said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'll be applying to OU next year, and I am wondering what do you think is a good score to apply to OU. I am taking the MCAT next week, and am really worried I may not get into OU. I have about a 3.78 from Emory, but all I want is a 30 on the MCAT, but I am thinking I may get like a 28. Do you think a 27-30 can get you into OU? I am worried that I maybe should do early decision to OU, if my mcat is like a 28.

Thanks.

Boomer Sooner!

you'll be fine. pm me if you want to talk stats.

gourman said:
Well, (3.75 X 3.78 + MCAT Score)/2 >= 11.20 => first day interview, so an average of 8.225 would get you a first day interview. That's a 24.675 overall, uhm which makes me think that the 11.2 is a little low. When I went for first day interviews, rumor was that 90% of those interviewed on that day get accepted. Regardless, I think you're money with a score >=28.

I agree. I interviewed on the first day, and I'm confident that the average of the people I talked to was well above the 11.2.

btw, I'm giving karma points to everyone on this thread. Don't know if it matters much. Gotta improve the rep of my hommies in med school.

*Pours out a 40 for those who didn't make it*

Did everybody die? Good news! I reserved my new apartment in OKC this week. I'll be about 7 or 8 minutes from the school and located within a really good area. 5 minutes=Bricktown. I'll be moving at the beginning of June. I'm so excited about the move that I can hardly stand it. Only a month and a half to go before I'm out of Durant for good. It'll be nice to have something to do for a change. I looked at a few different apartments, but the ones I'm moving to are probably about the nicest that can be afforded (even though they're a lot more expensive than I pay right now). I'm trying to get Wordup to get a place in the same complex. If anybody else wants info, throw me a pm.

The apartments are located next to Baptist Medical Center on Northwest Expressway about a mile or two NW of Penn Square Mall. The move is gonna be sweet.

Here's a question. Does anyone know when our financial aid packages will be revealed? I have high hopes after all the talk of scholarships on the interview day!

Are you all just Chem whizzes? I am taking Chem 1 and I hate it and am barely pulling a B in the class. I just cant seem to make an A on anything in this class.

Any Biological type science I make A's in. So far I have taken Physiology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Biology and made an A in every class and loved those classes, but when it comes to chemistry I feel like I am just extremely average and I don't "get it" like some people do. My Chem teacher is horrible but I try not to use that as an excuse.

Will this keep me out of med school? I just worry about it a lot I guess..... If I apply and only have B's in all my chem classes does that look bad? What about if I get a C in Chem 2?

I am hoping I will enjoy and do better with Organic Chem since it is nothing like general chem right?

Other than that my overall GPA is ok I guess (shouldn't be any less than a 3.5 when I apply).

MamaMD

mamaMD said:
Are you all just Chem whizzes? I am taking Chem 1 and I hate it and am barely pulling a B in the class. I just cant seem to make an A on anything in this class.

Any Biological type science I make A's in. So far I have taken Physiology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Biology and made an A in every class and loved those classes, but when it comes to chemistry I feel like I am just extremely average and I don't "get it" like some people do. My Chem teacher is horrible but I try not to use that as an excuse.

Will this keep me out of med school? I just worry about it a lot I guess..... If I apply and only have B's in all my chem classes does that look bad? What about if I get a C in Chem 2?

I am hoping I will enjoy and do better with Organic Chem since it is nothing like general chem right?

Other than that my overall GPA is ok I guess (shouldn't be any less than a 3.5 when I apply).

MamaMD

What part of chem I are you in? You will be fine if they are your only B's, but you need to understand the concepts for the queen mother (MCAT). Try your darndest not to get a C. Also, does your school have a tutor for the subject? You should definately look into that. There is no shame in asking for help. I tutored Chem I and II in undergrad, and I think a lot of people did better when they came to the group sessions and worked problems together. Chem isn't too bad--it's learning how to look at the problems that is the hard part. I don't want to scare you, but chem II will be harder with equilibira and such. As far as ochem goes, some people find it easier and some find it much harder. You'll just have to see when you get there. Above all else--Just study hard and you'll be fine, but find somebody to help you out a little. wordup, myself, and a couple of friends took all of these classes together and we helped each other a lot. Good Luck.