University of Oklahoma 2008 - GO SOONERS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wordup said:
Have you guys received any info yet? I was wondering what shots I will need to have before the semester starts. The health insurance offered by OU etc...

On another note OUdoc I was wondering how many of your ambulance trips were absolutely necessary and how many were obvious dumps. And how much does an ambulance ride cost? Just curious.

Depends what you deem absolutely necessary.
Actual "Code 3" returns to the hospital in which I would deem that this patient is is immediate need of critical intervention either by myself and/or an advanced level of care = Apx. 5%

Calls in which it is in the patient's best interest to be transported by ambulance, either to receive beneficial treatment enroute, or to be necessarily monitored under advanced care due to a high risk of deterioration enroute = Apx. 20%

Calls in which the patient requires medical evaluation for a legitimate, although not immediately emergent, medical problem in which they would in all probability suffer no consequence were they to seek other transportation to the hospital = Apx. 25 %

Calls in which the call is considered medically necessary only due to physical dilemma, such as nonambulatory status, bed confined, etc., = Apx. 25%

Absolute BS where there are two perfectly functional automobiles in the driveway of the house, the person walks to the door, locks their own front door, sits on the cot, and wants you to taxi ride their lazy arse to the ER = Apx. 25%

An emergency call is billed as a base rate (I'm not sure exactly how much, but I think its around $300), plus a certain rate for mileage from scene to hospital, and any additional supplies billed such as IV's, drugs, intubation, ACLS, etc. etc. etc.

For comparison, EMSA in Tulsa is $600 base rate, and OKC is $800 base rate.
At least that was the numbers a few years ago. I assume it's a little higher now.

Anyways, I am no longer working as a paramedic as of June 1st, though I think from an experience standpoint, it was infinitely valuable.

Later
Tony

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

It's been some time since I've graced SDN. I am now a resident of Oklahoma City--Yippeee! My internet is still screwed up because work at southwestern bell requires a labotomy. Anyhoo, did you guys get the big info packet the other day in the mail? I just sent everything in today. Are any of you signing up to do the geriatrics thingamajig? I went ahead and signed up. Don't really know why.

mamaMD and JohnnyOU, I was in the SURE program last year. I didn't have any previous research experience, but I'm sure that it will help you if you want to get accepted. I had a great time in the program, and it was a great EC for my application to OU. If you have any questions about what my summer was like, you can PM me. Talk to you all later. It's good to be back.

Hey does anyone else have to take the BLS course? Just wondering, thought maybe we could take it at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at Hasting today and got a copy (bargin bin near the children's section ) of the KAPLAN 2004 MCAT Comprehensive Review for only $2.99 (normally $65) and also KAPLAN MCAT 45 Advanced Prep for $2.99 (not exactly sure what that is, but it said MCAT so I grabbed it...lol).

I am not sure if they have any more copies left, I didn't have time to look or I would have grabbed them and could have given them to someone here (but I didn't think about that till I got to the car and was in the line at Rusty's Frozen Custard....mmmm mmmmm).

Just wanted to share. I am poor so it's nice to find good deals like that. :thumbup:

Marilyn

ad_sharp said:
Hello all,

It's been some time since I've graced SDN. I am now a resident of Oklahoma City--Yippeee! My internet is still screwed up because work at southwestern bell requires a labotomy. Anyhoo, did you guys get the big info packet the other day in the mail? I just sent everything in today. Are any of you signing up to do the geriatrics thingamajig? I went ahead and signed up. Don't really know why.

mamaMD and JohnnyOU, I was in the SURE program last year. I didn't have any previous research experience, but I'm sure that it will help you if you want to get accepted. I had a great time in the program, and it was a great EC for my application to OU. If you have any questions about what my summer was like, you can PM me. Talk to you all later. It's good to be back.

Cool, tell us all about it when we get together for the OU med tour... I'm about ready for that whenever you guys are. I drive by the med school every now and then with palms and face against the window fogging it all up *gimme gimme!!* :D

Johnny

JohnnyOU said:
Cool, tell us all about it when we get together for the OU med tour... I'm about ready for that whenever you guys are. I drive by the med school every now and then with palms and face against the window fogging it all up *gimme gimme!!* :D

Johnny

Count me in as well, I'm sure my husband could hook us up with parking down there since that is a PITA.

Johnny, what was it like to volunteer on the Norman ER? What kind of stuff do you do, was it interesting, boring, ?? Anyone else have any hospital volunteer experiences in OKC/Norman they could share? I heard there was a free clinic run by Baptist that is open a few times a month and run by all volunteer Dr's, RN'ss, etc I am interested in that as well.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, Hi Johnny. I was wondering if you all are going to be applying for admission to the class of 2009 or 2010. I still have another year to finish up my masters in music at O.U. so I will personally be applying for the class of 2010 next year, taking April MCAT in 2005. Anyhow, just let me know what you all are planning. I am taking physics right now at O.U. over the summer, tons of fun. I hope you all are doing well. Best of luck with everything.

mamaMD said:
Count me in as well, I'm sure my husband could hook us up with parking down there since that is a PITA.

Johnny, what was it like to volunteer on the Norman ER? What kind of stuff do you do, was it interesting, boring, ?? Anyone else have any hospital volunteer experiences in OKC/Norman they could share? I heard there was a free clinic run by Baptist that is open a few times a month and run by all volunteer Dr's, RN'ss, etc I am interested in that as well.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,
I've liked working in the Norman ER, not that I'm very useful :D
Sometimes it's boring, but the nurses and techs are all nice. It's nothing
like an episode of ER though...need a big city for that I guess :p

About our OU visit... do you know if it's better for us to have a tour during the week, ie...Thursday July 1st ? (time?)

Anyone who wants to join us is welcome :thumbup:

Let me know what you think about the 1st :D

Johnny

wanderso said:
Hi Marilyn, Hi Johnny. I was wondering if you all are going to be applying for admission to the class of 2009 or 2010. I still have another year to finish up my masters in music at O.U. so I will personally be applying for the class of 2010 next year, taking April MCAT in 2005. Anyhow, just let me know what you all are planning. I am taking physics right now at O.U. over the summer, tons of fun. I hope you all are doing well. Best of luck with everything.

Hey there.

I'll also will be most likely in the 2010 class and I'm taking the MCAT next April as well. I'm still working on my BS in Zoology:Biomedical Sciences and a minor in Spanish.

What instrument do you play? You're getting a masters in music so I assume you must play something really good. :thumbup:

I've been playing guitar for 18 years off an on. I should be much better than I actually am though, there were a few periods where I stopped altogether for 2 or more years.

I LOVE to listen to any style in person and I mostly play classical. I'm not that good, but I love it as my hobby :)

You should join us when we go on the OU med school tour if you're free.

Take care,
Johnny

Hey Johnny,

I did my undergrad degree at S.M.U. in Dallas. I am a singer, a tenor, and I also play percussion. I am not studying percussion at the masters level though, I am just studying voice at O.U. at the moment. Although, out of the 48 hours I have available to me for my masters degree, I have only done like 12 in music. *laughing* The rest of the hours have been to complete med school pre-req's. I took organic I last fall and now I am taking physics. Anyhow, I would love to come on the tour and I think the first sounds great. I hope you all are doing well.

Sincerely,
Stephen.

wanderso said:

I am still debating if I want to take the April 2005 MCAT or not, I probably will but I think I might be lacking OChem 2 ,and if I am I will wait till the next year to take it. If I can't squeeze that last Ochem class before then, I won't take the MCAT next year or I will wait till Aug to take it (but I don't really want to do that).

I do have a question for anyone who knows, if I do take the April 2005 MCAT and don't get the score I want and I take it again in Aug or the next April, do they average them together?? I have read conflicting things on that.

Marilyn

JohnnyOU said:
Hi Marilyn,
I've liked working in the Norman ER, not that I'm very useful :D
Sometimes it's boring, but the nurses and techs are all nice. It's nothing
like an episode of ER though...need a big city for that I guess :p

About our OU visit... do you know if it's better for us to have a tour during the week, ie...Thursday July 1st ? (time?)

Anyone who wants to join us is welcome :thumbup:

Let me know what you think about the 1st :D

Johnny

July 1st sounds fine to me, I will have my parent's watch my girls for me. I would like to go in the morning sometime if that is ok (not early morning though, I was thinking around 10 or 11am?)

My husband said we could park in the OU Physicains Parking on the far east side, he said if for reason we get tickets just give them to me and he will void them. The Physician's parking is right near William's Pavillian and right across the street from the BioMedical Building and Basic Science building is right across from that and the library is up the street. I my way around there somewhat.

So is someone giving us a tour or do we need to call them or can we just show up and look around? I know Dodie Sharp is like the Studen Services lady (or something like that), she works out of the library and its her job to try to get people interested in the schools down there (she doess all the college down there....Nursing, Dental, Medical, etc) so I guess she is who we need to call??

And ya, the more the merrier!! Stephen, hopefully you can make it.

My husband plays the guitar as well, he is very very good (maybe I am biased..hehe). He has been playing since he was pretty young I think. He plays the electric guitar mainly, rock type stuff (80's rule!). I can't play the guitar worth a flip.

Marilyn

What classes are you all taking this summer by the way??

I am taking a Women's History class and an Algebra class (pretty easy summer) to refresh myself before I take Chem 2 and Physics in the fall.

Just curious....

Marilyn

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm up for a re-tour of the campus on July 1st if my work schedule doesn't conflict.

mamaMD said:
What classes are you all taking this summer by the way??

I am taking a Women's History class and an Algebra class (pretty easy summer) to refresh myself before I take Chem 2 and Physics in the fall.

Just curious....

Marilyn

Marilyn,

Hi. Sorry I'm just now writing back...my topic-notify seems to be not working.

I'm not sure who is going to lead the tour...I thought someone had volunteered, but if not we can contact OU and see if they'll lend a hand...or your husband can toss his weight around and pull some strings for us :D

Speaking of your hubby... that's cool that he's into electric... I love it... but I haven't played it in about 7 or more years since my guitar committed suicide (Kramer) I used to live with a guy named Michael Vines in Tulsa, LONG time ago...late 80s...he won Best Guitarist in Tulsa out at Uncle Bentley's and a bunch of other contests... he's the reason I have a complex :scared: He's one of those guys that are so good ya just hate em...haha j/k We were good friends.

Maybe your hubby will let me listen to him sometime... There's about nothing I like more than watching someone play guitar, no matter how good they are.

You asked what I was taking this summer....nothing really...Catina's financial aid money is running late so money is tight. I was enrolled in 2 classes for summer but dropped them. I did however take Span III during May intercession and am taking Span IV during August intercession. Not really premed related eh..haha

You said you may not take the MCAT in April because of O-Chem 2... I'll actually be taking that class this spring also, so I'll be in the same boat. But I'm going to go for it anyway...worst case, I take it again the following year. :eek:

Johnny :D

ad_sharp said:
I'm up for a re-tour of the campus on July 1st if my work schedule doesn't conflict.

I called your boss and got you the day off :thumbup:

JohnnyOU said:
You said you may not take the MCAT in April because of O-Chem 2... I'll actually be taking that class this spring also, so I'll be in the same boat. But I'm going to go for it anyway...worst case, I take it again the following year. :eek:

There's not really much Org. II on the MCAT anyway. Genetics and physiology (and Org. I) are much more important. Besides, the little Org. II that there is would be immediately fresh in your mind were you to be taking that class concurrently. I did that with Physics II and was thus fairly comfortable with that material during the MCAT.

btw, I play a little guitar myself. Mainly violin, but guitar as well. Right now, I play a amer. SRV strat through a reissue fender twin. Nice fat bluesy tone.
Gotta run.
Tony

I was going to ask you all a suggestion about classes. I took Anatomy and Physiology at OKCCC. I have never taken genetics. Next Spring, 2005, I am only scheduled right now to take graduate voice, physics II and physics II lab, do you all think I should take genetics and physiology? I know that would be a pretty hefty load, but I would be taking the MCAT in April 2005 and wouldn't want to feel like I was lacking in genetics or physiology. If you think I should do so, please tell me what the classes are called at O.U.? I know genetics is genetics, but is there a certain class that is good with physiology, is it under a Zoo heading? Thanks for your help.

wanderso said:
I was going to ask you all a suggestion about classes. I took Anatomy and Physiology at OKCCC. I have never taken genetics. Next Spring, 2005, I am only scheduled right now to take graduate voice, physics II and physics II lab, do you all think I should take genetics and physiology? I know that would be a pretty hefty load, but I would be taking the MCAT in April 2005 and wouldn't want to feel like I was lacking in genetics or physiology. If you think I should do so, please tell me what the classes are called at O.U.? I know genetics is genetics, but is there a certain class that is good with physiology, is it under a Zoo heading? Thanks for your help.

Since you've already had physiology I would say don't retake it but you should definitely take genetics. I remember having a western blot on my mcat and mitosis/meiosis etc.... From what I remember the most important thing from physiology was the endocrinology. You should go back through all the hormones and know them, what they do and where they come from. Hope this gives some insight.

Wanderso,

This is one of the few times that I will recommend that anyone listen to what Wordup has to say. Just study endocrinology, but try to take genetics if you can. I had relevant stuff on my MCAT too.

Thank you both so much for your help. I am going to take Genetics this fall, as well as Organic II and Organic lab. To kind of boost my BCPM I am going to take a Physics class called "Physics for music" or something like that and I am going to take the Physics I lab section. Then in the spring I will take Physics II and my MCAT. I am planning on doing the Princeton Review for an MCAT review. Thank you all for your help.

wanderso said:

Depending on your source, you'll likely get conflicting reports about what classes are most important to have taken prior to sitting for the MCAT.

In addition, you will also hear others who opine that no upper level classes are necessary as the required information is presented in basic level classes.
While in an ideal world this may be true, it is also common for various portions of material to be sketchily covered or even omitted from intro level classes.

As well, concepts are often only understood after multiple exposure.
An example is the Henderson-Hasselbach equation. First introduced to most in gen. chem II, this equation serves to describe the pH of a solution as a function of the concentrations of the acidic and basic concentrations of various salts in solution. While I was exposed to this equation in chem II, I basically plugged numbers, but didn't conceptualize the use of the formula in a broader, more clinically applicable format. Only after taking biochem did I "understand" the equation in a way in which when presented on the MCAT, was I able to breeze through the question passage without a blink.

As most anyone who has sat for the MCAT can tell you, one of the most stressful, least anticipated and ill prepared for factors is TIME. I consider myself to be a smoking fast test taker. Main reason? I read fast. Like super fast. That said, I was SCARED out of my freaking mind when I saw that I was on question 31 of the PS section when half time was out (out of seventy some odd questions). I just wasn't prepared for the time crunch. Practice tests are misleading. You aren't nervous, you don't second guess yourself, and the outcome isn't any big deal. In the real deal, though, all of those factors are present. You read the answers two or three times, when in the practice test you would've just circled "A" because it was the right answer. All of these things add up and shave off more minutes than you will have to spare.

Now realize what it's going to be like when you spend 5 minutes drawing out mitosis/meiosis diagrams instead of just "knowing" it.

This is primarily where taking an upper-level majors genetics class is beneficial. We all learned mitosis/meiosis in zoo, but admit it. Your brain was a little strained trying to remember where to put the model beads in each phase. However, after taking genetics, it can be done in your sleep, (not to mention the other numerous genetics questions on the biological sciences portion that I don't ever remember covering in a basic level science course).

Physiology is the same. Concepts are harder to grasp than facts, and physiology is highly conceptual.

Thus, my recommendations to anyone taking the MCAT (biological sciences portion) are as a bare minimum:
Gen. zoology
Physiology
Genetics
Org. I / II

In addition, the following are helpful:
Microbiology
Anatomy
Cell Biology
Biochem

As for Physics I would suggest knowing waves mechanics and all the electrical properties and formulas (right hand rules, current, power dissipation, well you get the idea) front and back.
One of the thing I wish I would have reviewed more for Chem was electrochemistry. I had a large section over this. Other than that just basic stuff like how to calculate Ksp or Ka. Know the relationship between Ka Kb and Kw. H & H is a must. Mole fractions, atom basics, rate laws, just review, take some practice tests and you'll be just fine.

OUdoc how is that SRV treating you. I like a SG or Telecaster through a Bassman amp. Now I don't play mind you just like the way they sound.

I love the SRV. I played a Gibson Blueshawk before that (looks like a mini Les Paul, but the SRV blows it outta the water IMO.

wordup said:
One of the thing I wish I would have reviewed more for Chem was electrochemistry. I had a large section over this. Other than that just basic stuff like how to calculate Ksp or Ka. Know the relationship between Ka Kb and Kw. H & H is a must. Mole fractions, atom basics, rate laws, just review, take some practice tests and you'll be just fine.

I second the motion.

For all of you guys who got accepted into the class of 2008, i have a question for you.

Do you think i should consider taking the august MCAT to try to raise my score, or do you think it is it competitive enough for a non-waitlist accpetance at OU? Reading all these posts on sdn of people with 35+ MCAT scores is making me wonder.

Here are some of my stats...

School: OU
Major: Zoology
GPA: 3.87
MCAT: 28P --> 8P 10V 10B
LORs: Good to Very Good
ECs: Good

Thanks for the help.

DMBFan61 said:
For all of you guys who got accepted into the class of 2008, i have a question for you.

Do you think i should consider taking the august MCAT to try to raise my score, or do you think it is it competitive enough for a non-waitlist accpetance at OU? Reading all these posts on sdn of people with 35+ MCAT scores is making me wonder.

Thanks for the help.

Wow your numbers are freakishly close to mine and I was accepted first round. The MCAT was low but the high GPA is a great mitagator. It will all boil down to the interview, don't sweat it just be yourself and get a couple laughs out of the adcoms you should be fine.
Unless you are dead set on getting a higher MCAT I would say save the $200.
However my friend brought his MCAT up 5 points between tests and he interviewed a day ahead of me.

when do you first years start classes? My freind at OU dental school said june 20th or something like that =o short summer ;D.

MSI First day is Aug. 16

DMBFan61 said:

Thanks for the help.

Your app. sounds decent enough to me. Is your GPA sci or non-sci? How
about experience? Do you feel that your app. is solid? I wouldn't retake the MCAT with the scores that you have posted if you do.

You should always retake the MCAT. I randomly went up 4 points without studying.

the ou lady that came to osu said one question they always ask was why you didnt keep trying to get a better score on the mcat. Which would be silly to ask if you got a 30+ in my opinon but she said they always asked. Dunno how accurate that is

Abe, they told the the same thing. I got a 27 on the first run through (and actually studied). Got a 32 in August without studying at all. The only difference......I wasn't freakishly nervous on the second go round.

Why ad_sharp, you old rapscallion how ya been? Having a good time up in Ok City. How's the wifey? You miss me yet? I don't know how you've managed to last this long without me. Proves that you are more resourceful than I gave you credit for. I'd wager that you have a manequin that you dress up like me and carry on faux conversations with. Well you just keep on doing what you have to until I make it up there. Don't give in to the void left by my absence you can do it man.

Careful Wordup. You're going to give them the wrong idea. Things are going pretty good. Work sucks (I have to be there at 4:30 in the mornin), but the bills are getting paid. What, you've got a month and you'll be moving into university village, right?

And I'm in there (Univ. Village) Aug. 9

Yeah I'll be there around July 28. We'll be neighbors oudoc.

Do you know of any other ms1's that will be living there?
I know a pharmacy and a nursing student but thats it besides you.

Yeah I've been talking to a MS-1 from Altus and will probably wind up rooming with him. But I think that MSs are somewhat scarce at the Village. I spoke with 2 MS-2's and a bunch of nursing and pt students.

Abe said:
what are OU's secondaries like?

There is no secondary. Only a $50 application fee along with LOR's.

Yeah, I was really surprised when they had no secondaries. I kept looking on their website, thinking I had missed something somewhere. So make those AMCAS experiences and personal statement count.

My God this scares me. I'm probably going to be applying to OU this year but I don't think I can deal with the obsessive school pride. I'll slit the throat of the first person I hear say "boomer sooner." :(

You better bring a knife sharpener, because everyone at OU chants it daily at the beginning of class.

Attachments

• sooners.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 209
gizmoduck said:
My God this scares me. I'm probably going to be applying to OU this year but I don't think I can deal with the obsessive school pride. I'll slit the throat of the first person I hear say "boomer sooner." :(

Yeah it's weird most of my family and every other person I see wears OU merch but here I am actually attending OU and I have never worn OU anything. I am really indifferent towards most sports but I think it is great that Oklahoma is known for something. I will attend games and such but will never be any kind of die hard fan. Don't get me wrong I am proud to be attending OU and think it is a great school but there is a fine line between pride and idiotic bravado. The clinical rotations are where OU really shine. They have a big research budget and OKC has 3 of the best hospitals in Oklahoma: University, Baptist and Mercy and I really looked at that when deciding between OU and OSU.

P.S. Is that some ultra defomed Cid Highwind? And DuckTales sucked but at least someone besides myself was a cartoonaholic as a kid.

Yeah, I'm pretty much along the same lines as wordup. Clinical and facilities were impressive and had a lot to do with my final decision to attend there.

As far as the whole die-hard fan thing goes, I watch the football games, but I have to laugh at the people who stand "coach-stance" in front of the TV shouting at Stoops. I also don't own any OU merch. that I can think of, but it is nice to have nationwide school recognition. (Unless of course, in a few years, you happen to apply to regional residency sites with interviewers who hold a grudge against OU for their guys getting beat :oops: )

gizmoduck said:

I notice you're from Tahlequah. NSU, I assume? What major?

I grad. there w/ BS-biology, chem minor last Dec.

Ah, what's wrong with a little school pride? It's only going to cost us the better part of 100K to go there. We might as well be proud of it. However, all of the med students that I've met so far are well-grounded people. I don't think that there are many all out fanatics. I know that the students at both OU and OSU take great pride in their med schools (as do students at any other med school). There's too much committment, both time and money, not to be proud of your med school.

*irritating music in the background*
"boomer sooner, boomer sooner........." :)

Yeah, like I said, I'm not a balls-to-the-wall die-hard fan, but if you absolutely can't stand the school, why would you ever consider going there?

Did you guys get the invitation to the shin dig with the Oklahoma State Medical Association? I know that I'm way too excited, but man this is cool. I'll be rubbin elbows with the big wigs. Wordup, don't forget the car detailing kit. It's time to work on getting a good residency :)