University of Oklahoma 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto the waitlist! What a bummer letter to come home to ... thankfully I have gotten into another school, but I'm still hopeful OU will come through. Have to go study now for a test tomorrow, but I hope the list starts moving for all of us on it! And congrats to those who did get BREs! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

If someone gets in off the waitlist, please let us know.

My employer has us sign contracts for a year by year basis, and I have to sign mine in late April/early May. I really really doubt OU would do this, but does anyone think they'd at least give you a hint as to how things are going around then? Heck, they may not even know themselves until the May 15 day....I just don't want to throw away my job if I have no shot at OU.

Oh I know what you mean. It's not as if we're all sitting around waiting for next year. I've been accepted by a med school out of state, and I need to start looking for an apartment soon if I have no shot at OU. Maybe they would let us know if we were in the top, middle, or bottom third? At least we might have a better idea of our course of action then...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah - for me, it's OU or bust, so any hints would be nice.

I'm also wondering if I should have filled out the FAFSA form by now. But once again, no real guarantee at this point... I was going to wait to email their office about this, but I think I might just give it a shot now - at least they'll either help me out or shoot it down, and I can get on with it.

Ahh, the waitlist....

Oh I know what you mean. It's not as if we're all sitting around waiting for next year. I've been accepted by a med school out of state, and I need to start looking for an apartment soon if I have no shot at OU. Maybe they would let us know if we were in the top, middle, or bottom third? At least we might have a better idea of our course of action then...

I asked admissions if they could give any hint. Nope. They did say historically they don't get much movement 'til after the deposit deadline.

I was also a waitlister last admit cycle and this was my philosophy: expect the best (so go fill out that FAFSA! you're gonna need that loan money come August!) and prepare for the worst (start gearing up for reapplying, register for a repeat MCAT date..ect). Losing 50% of the MCAT registration fee was the most enjoyable $110 I've ever flushed down the toilet.

Last year, waitlist movement started just prior to the depost deadline thing. Remember that last year there were 91 waitlist spots and this year there are only 60-something. I'd say those are much better odds. As an experienced waitlister, I know this waiting is just plain miserable but hang in there. There are plenty of you out there who will be members of the Class of 2013.

Oh Happy Dance!!!! I just got my BRE!!! I cannot contain myself!:soexcited:

Yes. I got the waitlist letter around two weeks ago. I was on the waitlist last year and never got in. Its nice to be able to relax....for a little while.

Yes. I got the waitlist letter around two weeks ago. I was on the waitlist last year and never got in. Its nice to be able to relax....for a little while.

Thanks, and congrats again :D

Nice to know that the waitlist movement has begun.

Yippee!!! Waitlist is moving! Stepho, would you mind listing your MCAT/GPA so I can try to create my own version of where I am on the waitlist? Congratulations!

Considering that the waitlist letter says the file's closed, a formal letter saying that OU is the number 1 choice (heck, the only choice) is probably worthless right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry it took so long to reply to the previous question. My stats are on the lower side for OU, but I have been an ER nurse for five years and have a ton of volunteer experience. My GPA is 3.6 and MCAT is 26. I had a disastrous first two years of college and have had over 120+ hours of 4.0 since. I am a reapplicant from last year. I went to the reapp workshop and found out that I had all accepts from the board, but my stats kept me from being pulled off of the waitlist. I have "heard" that reapplicants have a better chance the second time around if they improve their stats. Good luck to all those who remain on the waitlist. I know it is hard, but I would definitely recommend going to the reapplication workshop (they keep a list of who attends), taking their advice, and gearing up for next cycle. It will give you something to do to keep your mind off of the waiting.

Thanks for sharing your info StephO! Has anyone called the Admin office to ask about how many people have come off the waitlist? I may call next week if someone else doesn't give it a go first.

Back to anxiously checking the mailbox ... :)

Thanks for sharing your info StephO! Has anyone called the Admin office to ask about how many people have come off the waitlist? I may call next week if someone else doesn't give it a go first.

Back to anxiously checking the mailbox ... :)

I emailed Dotty yesterday to try and see how the list is moving. Haven't heard from her yet.

StephO-Impressive credentials by any measure. Congratulations on your acceptance, and your stellar academics turnaround. I know what its like to try to pull up a mediocre GPA, I'm dragging around a 2.93 from my engineering undergrad, and although all my post-bacc pre-med work is a 3.91, it's ostensibly still a veritable ball and chain. I'm quite happy for you, it must have been devastating to get the WL letter the second time round; what a relief to not be on the WL for very long.
As for the rest of us, its hard work not being neurotic about this whole thing, I'm considering boycotting the mailbox so I can regain a normal sense of well-being. :D

Anyone call the office yet? Still haven't heard from Dotty, emailed em on Tuesday..

EDIT - Just got emailed back - they've only accepted 5 people off the waitlist so far....:(

Last edited:
I went to the reapp workshop yesterday to try to get some interview feedback, and I overheard Dotty tell one of the professors working it that they only took 27 off the WL last year. Please don't interpret this as fact, this is only how I understood what I overheard.
I wonder how the recession is going to affect that number. On one hand, some parents may feel uncomfortable coughing up the funds for medical school in the first place, if their jobs are potentially unstable, but on the other hand, from what I understand, a lot of the WL spots that become available are made by OOS applicants who end up declining. That being said, OU's tuition is relatively cheap for non-residents, so more OOSers may be opting for OU. Apparently, only 5 spots opening thus far is unusually low. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the info Kelleyfu! If I lived closer I would have gone to the reapp workshop to try get and get a better feel of where I am on the waitlist based on the suggestions they gave. Did you find it helpful to gauge where you might be?

Thoughts from anyone else who went?

BKD-I should have clarified-I really was seeking interview feedback, and was furtively harboring hopes at least getting some idea of where I was on the WL (Top half? Bottom half?), but pretty much struck out in the latter department. They play those cards super close to the vest, or at least my interview evaluator was. But, I did find out that I had very positive interview feedback, and basically all I came away with on my "TO-DO list" was the standard issue: "Retake the MCAT". Personally, I didn't think my MCAT was that bad, 10BS/10VS/8PS/P, but they are really pushing for a 30(+) composite. There were around 33 people at the workshop, no OOSers (obviously), and a mix of declined/WLers.

Just got the BRE!!!! I interviewed on Jan. 16th...

Congratulations! I interviewed that day too. Were you at the Reapp Workshop yesterday? And would you mind posting your MCATs? And Bohica, would you mind telling me where do you live?

Last edited:
Congrats bohica10! I'm glad people in our group on here are getting a few of the BREs! Let's hope the good news keeps coming! Have a great weekend everyone! :)

Congratulations! I interviewed that day too. Were you at the Reapp Workshop yesterday? And would you mind posting your MCATs? And Bohica, would you mind telling me where do you live?

Lower stats for OU. 27 MCAT 3.4 GPA from small private liberal arts undergrad. Reapplicant. Tons of research experience.

Congrats Bohica, and thanks for the stats. I interviewed on the 16th as well.... Your numbers are quite similar to mine, and I'm the same regarding research - so hopefully we'll be gettin a little somethin somethin in the mail soon as well :D

Waitlisters, have heart. I'd imagine in this current economic downturn the number of people turning down their acceptances would be higher than normal. Also, evidently they moved reapplicants to the front of the list so if you're a second or third-time applicant, you've got good odds. There are 17 reapplicants on the wait list.

Dang....reapplicants went straight to the front? I guess they value perseverance more than the numbers, huh...It would make sense though, both individuals who've posted on this site saying they're off the waitlist are reapps.

Guess I gotta wait another year..

Dang....reapplicants went straight to the front? I guess they value perseverance more than the numbers, huh...It would make sense though, both individuals who've posted on this site saying they're off the waitlist are reapps.

Guess I gotta wait another year..

From what I understand, your position on the wait list has less to do with your numbers and more to do with what the interviewers thought of you. For instance, one of the early-accepted waitlisters was a 3.4 GPA student. He/she must've impressed the interviewers enough to get a nice spot on the list. However, there are 17 reapplicants and I'm pretty sure OU intends to take as many reapplicants as possible because those who improve themselves deserve a second chance.

Just got the BRE!!!! I interviewed on Jan. 16th...

bohica10...i LOVE your screen name thing. love it. and use the phrase frequently.

did anyone receive confirmation that their acceptance reply (the thing we had to mail back saying we accepted the offer) was received?

I did not know bohica was an acronym. I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants. It is an appropriate acronym for the application process! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. And, no, I haven't received anything stating that they received my acceptance packet. However, I have been getting more emails from the school and office of student affairs. I guess that is a good sign?

From what I understand, your position on the wait list has less to do with your numbers and more to do with what the interviewers thought of you. For instance, one of the early-accepted waitlisters was a 3.4 GPA student. He/she must've impressed the interviewers enough to get a nice spot on the list. However, there are 17 reapplicants and I'm pretty sure OU intends to take as many reapplicants as possible because those who improve themselves deserve a second chance.

Yeah....I wish I had been able to go to the reapp forum. I work out of state even though I'm a resident, and I couldn't get time off work. I tried to email them and see if I could at least get my interview feedback, but I haven't heard squat.

When you only have 1 potential school, and you're only on their waitlist, like me, gotta be honest, maybe you're in the wrong career path.

Yeah....I wish I had been able to go to the reapp forum. I work out of state even though I'm a resident, and I couldn't get time off work. I tried to email them and see if I could at least get my interview feedback, but I haven't heard squat.

When you only have 1 potential school, and you're only on their waitlist, like me, gotta be honest, maybe you're in the wrong career path.

Don't give up hope. Last year they took 40-ish people off the waitlist and there are 61 people on the current waitlist. They've had years where every single waitlisted person was accepted, and in this current economy your chances are probably better than normal.

Is anyone else somewhat confused as to why second visit day was rescheduled for May 9 which is graduation for a lot of schools in Oklahoma?

Is anyone else somewhat confused as to why second visit day was rescheduled for May 9 which is graduation for a lot of schools in Oklahoma?

Just a nice introduction to medical school where your special occasions don't mean a damn thing to the administration. Say goodbye to Valentine's, Halloween, and a host of other holiday celebrations (or at least this has been my experience with the first two years at OUHSC). I think they honestly may try to schedule test blocks around holidays intentionally.

Editing to add that I actually like med school since all the above sounds pretty pessimistic.

Don't give up hope. Last year they took 40-ish people off the waitlist and there are 61 people on the current waitlist. They've had years where every single waitlisted person was accepted, and in this current economy your chances are probably better than normal.

okay, not to be pessimistic or anything, but........the "current economy" isn't going to help in-state waitlisters all that much (if at all). In state tuition is probably cheaper than out of state tuition, so those (IS) holding mutiple offers will choose OU. now those on the OOS waitlist might have a better chance due to the economy, but not by much because OU doesn't even accept that many OOS to begin with.

Editing to add that I actually like med school since all the above sounds pretty pessimistic.

Ha! I was just sitting here thinking about dermatome man and the associated "assume test block position" comment, chuckling to myself that bohica's name will wear nicely long past the application for admission part of the medical education process.

okay, not to be pessimistic or anything, but........the "current economy" isn't going to help in-state waitlisters all that much (if at all). In state tuition is probably cheaper than out of state tuition, so those (IS) holding mutiple offers will choose OU. now those on the OOS waitlist might have a better chance due to the economy, but not by much because OU doesn't even accept that many OOS to begin with.

I agree with Lush here. Besides, the majority of us don't have parents paying for our medical educations. We do it the old fashioned way... 100K-200K in student loan debt.

Ha! I was just sitting here thinking about dermatome man and the associated "assume test block position" comment, chuckling to myself that bohica's name will wear nicely long past the application for admission part of the medical education process.

And Bravo here has a point.

Disclaimer: Test block begins Monday, so the love half of my relationship with med school will resume the following week.

I'm considering cancelling Netflix...at least until August. Those largish red envelopes in the mailbox are throwing me every time. heh

I'm considering cancelling Netflix...at least until August. Those largish red envelopes in the mailbox are throwing me every time. heh

Yikes, tell me about it! My roommate has Netflix, and it is such a tease! Hopefully one day (soon!) it will be an actual BRE waiting for me instead of the next movie in her queue.

Hahaha, I can imagine getting Netflix envelopes would be just about the most obnoxious thing ever. That said, at least you got a movie to watch so it's not like the foul disappointment will last all day (unless you rented Bridal Wars, in which case it'll last for weeks)

Anybody know what the lastest stats are about how many have been pulled from the waitlist? Or want to flip a coin with me about who gets to email Dotty and ask?

I emailed the her assistant? Lisa last week and have yet to get a response.

Talked to a person who is a student there, said the current stats are an average 30.5 MCAT and a gpa of 3.85. Not sure how reliable that is though.

Wondered if you guys thought it would be over the top to write a physical letter to Dean Baker? I sent a final letter stating that OU was my top choice school to Dotty Shaw right before I found out I was waitlisted - so now I'm thinking another letter to her now that I'm on the waitlist would be overkill.

But I doubt Dean Baker would even wanna read a letter from some waitlister. Any opinions are welcome.

Wondered if you guys thought it would be over the top to write a physical letter to Dean Baker? I sent a final letter stating that OU was my top choice school to Dotty Shaw right before I found out I was waitlisted - so now I'm thinking another letter to her now that I'm on the waitlist would be overkill.

But I doubt Dean Baker would even wanna read a letter from some waitlister. Any opinions are welcome.

Today is April 10. I think you need to chill.

Talked to a person who is a student there, said the current stats are an average 30.5 MCAT and a gpa of 3.85. Not sure how reliable that is though.

Reliable... that is what i been hearing from various sources. And they dont change "that" much anyhow.

in my experience Dr. Baker has been very helpful and receptive.

you might not hear back from her, but i definitely don't think it would hurt to drop her a note to see if she has any advice for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.