University of Oklahoma, Classes of 2008-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wizard of Oz

This is a general discussion for anyone interested in OU. Newcomers and prospective applicants are welcome.

Previous OU threads:

OU Acceptances

Oklahoma future 2011'ers part 1 (closed)

Oklahoma future 2011'ers part 2

The University of Oklahoma - Class of 2010 part 1 (closed)

The University of Oklahoma - Class of 2010 part 2

University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

Oklahoma Anyone? part 1 (closed)

Oklahoma Anyone? part 2

MODS: Please give us a heads-up before closing. We'll be glad to start anew when you want us to.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice consolidation!

I think this is the thread we should use instead. It gets my vote. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I like this thread too...It feels like home!:thumbup:

Hey Jwax-Congratulations on your acceptance...Don't know if I gave you props yet, but Congrats!:)

I believe this will become the new uber-thread, if there ever was one.

I'm glad that people are pleased! I thought it would be a good idea to put links back to all of the previous threads in case visitors want to see what has been said in the past. I called it 2008-2011 because I didn't see anybody from classes before those on SDN. I did catch a glimpse of oudoc08 (hey long time no see) yesterday on the stethoscope thread, so I wanted him to feel free to come over here and tell us how MS 3 is so much worse that what any of us have experienced thus far. :D

Was there a reason they closed the thread ?

At least correct the friggin title. :thumbdown:

The mods set a 1,000-post limit on the threads--something to do with server speed. I asked them to fix the title, but I never heard anything back about it. Somebody went through last night and did a blitzkrieg on all of the long threads, splitting the long ones (even those that have not been used in a while) somewhat arbitrarily.

Mwahaha! We shall dominate all. ;)

You have a new name! Does it feel any different? {Doctor Bagel}

You have a new name! Does it feel any different? {Doctor Bagel}

It's like a whole new me. I have a feeling things are only going to get better from now on. :D ;)

So does anybody else feel totally overwhelmed by some of those lesion questions on the practice neuro mini on blackboard? I'm thinking I'm not going to do too well on this mini. :scared:

me too... can we get the newly split one with the screwed up title closed?

I can close my own threads as a donor, but I don't know if others can. I'm not sure since I donated when I signed up. The 09 one and the other part 2's are still open too, but most people just leave their threads dangling on SDN anyhow.

Did somebody piss off NonTradTulsa? MS1.5 must be harder than MS1.0 because I haven't seen him post in a while.

He tends to be AFK during blocks. We have mini exams Monday and Tuesday, and we are two weeks away from our first test block. He'll probably be back for a little bit after exams.

Anybody know if Ratcliffe's is open on the weekends?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did somebody piss off NonTradTulsa? MS1.5 must be harder than MS1.0 because I haven't seen him post in a while.

He's a little more conscientious than the rest of us here. :oops: I am definitely getting that this semester will be harder. We have mini exams in neuro and physio early next week, and the material so far is definitely more challenging than what we encountered for our minis last semester. Neuro, I think is especially going to be a PITA. :scared:

Speaking of which, do you MS2s have good advice for neuro? I think I might break down and buy the "Ridiculously Simple" book because I'm not really getting some of the basic stuff.

He tends to be AFK during blocks. We have mini exams Monday and Tuesday, and we are two weeks away from our first block. He'll probably be back for a little bit after exams.

Anybody know if Ratcliffe's is open on the weekends?

Supposedly they closed at 1 today (got this online -- I didn't call or anything). I was tempted to run out and buy a neuro book, but I guess I'll wait and get something from amazon. It won't do be any good for the mini, but oh well -- figuring out where you need help is what minis are for, right?

Supposedly they closed at 1 today (got this online -- I didn't call or anything). I was tempted to run out and buy a neuro book, but I guess I'll wait and get something from amazon. It won't do be any good for the mini, but oh well -- figuring out where you need help is what minis are for, right?

:thumbup:

I just started studying for neuro, and what I found was that the black/white photos aren't stellar for elliptical studying. I tried to go over to B/N, but they had nada.

The more that I do these mandatory group problem-solving exercises, the less likely I am to even make the effort to show up for class at all. I'm more comfortable with the level of confusion that I can produce on my own.

:thumbup:

The more that I do these mandatory group problem-solving exercises, the less likely I am to even make the effort to show up for class at all. I'm more comfortable with the level of confusion that I can produce on my own.

Yeah, some people take the saying, "Better to be confidently wrong than halfheartedly right," to heart and end up totally effing everyone else up.

He was describing it correctly, he just didn't put it in enough context for a lot of people, i.e. forward CO would be less than SRxSV if there were a mitral valve regurg. It was kind of the BRS rationale for why a wrong answer is wrong thing.

Speaking of which, the Neuro BRS has pretty good diagrams of tracts. Worth buying? Probably not, but if there is one in your mod, it might be helpful. And the PDF's on the CD with the syllabi are in color, if that sort of stuff helps. You Mac bitches can also search using spotlight, which kicks ass, because you can find EVERY place in the syllabus that says "inferior olivary nucleus" for example. And you can take notes using Preview, on top of the PDFs.

We talked about the confusion in Neuro within our mod the other day: Big Dan said it would all make sense at the end of the course. Apparently some of the methodology, order of appearance, that sort of thing has changed a little from years past, in order to alleviate some of that feeling. This year, they swung a little far the other way, I think. O'D said "oh you'll get more about tract x later" but Blair took off like O'D had given us more info than he had. So when the lesion stuff kicked off, we were all :confused: except for the one guy with the wicked comb-over that speaks Mandarin. You know, rostral trigeminal nucleus guy...

Ok, break time is over. I'm almost through listening to all the phys mp3s :sleep: :sleep:

We talked about the confusion in Neuro within our mod the other day: Big Dan said it would all make sense at the end of the course. Apparently some of the methodology, order of appearance, that sort of thing has changed a little from years past, in order to alleviate some of that feeling. This year, they swung a little far the other way, I think. O'D said "oh you'll get more about tract x later" but Blair took off like O'D had given us more info than he had. So when the lesion stuff kicked off, we were all :confused: except for the one guy with the wicked comb-over that speaks Mandarin. You know, rostral trigeminal nucleus guy...

That's a good theory. O'Don overloaded us with information but kept up on saying it was all on overview and that we'd cover everything in more detail later. I got lulled into a nice sense of complacency with that and then freaked when it became apparent we were expected to have memorized every single thing he mentioned already. That coupled with memorizing the whole freaking brainstem hasn't made me love neuro. :scared:

I was listening to the neuro lecture on the embryo stuff, and he said that not everybody in the room had embryo last semester. Does anybody know who he is talking about?

I don't think I've seen rostral trigeminal nucleus guy. Is he in our class?

Haven't purchased any books yet. I'd like to thumb through a neuro atlas before buying one, but I have some available loan funds to get a book or two.

I was listening to the neuro lecture on the embryo stuff, and he said that not everybody in the room had embryo last semester. Does anybody know who he is talking about?

I don't think I've seen rostral trigeminal nucleus guy. Is he in our class?

Haven't purchased any books yet. I'd like to thumb through a neuro atlas before buying one, but I have some available loan funds to get a book or two.

We have grad students in both neuro and physio. I think we have 3 in neuro and maybe 1 in physio. They were part of my group yesterday -- they knew all the answers, which I guess isn't surprising. :) They're probably thinking about how stupid all the med students are.

I don't know who rostral trigeminal nucleus guy is, either. I still get confused about what rostral means. :oops:

It was a reference to some banter between him and Blair. It was during class though, you guys prolly missed it ;)

Long hair, older, sits in the desk by the door or near The Laugher. Looks like an older version of the comic store proprietor on the Simpsons. Sounds like Joe Pesci. Oh, and he SPEAKS CHINESE!?!?!?!

Mix all those up, that's the guy. If you don't recognize him after all that, I don't know what to tell you (differential like whoa...):D

dont forget about the online resources. i havent made it that far yet, but the online interactive lab guide, cross sectional slides, and tract guides are supposed to be really helpful and make an atlas superfluous (according to the MS2s).

It was a reference to some banter between him and Blair. It was during class though, you guys prolly missed it ;)

Long hair, older, sits in the desk by the door or near The Laugher. Looks like an older version of the comic store proprietor on the Simpsons. Sounds like Joe Pesci. Oh, and he SPEAKS CHINESE!?!?!?!

Mix all those up, that's the guy. If you don't recognize him after all that, I don't know what to tell you (differential like whoa...):D

Oh, yeah, him -- who the hell is he? He's not in our class, right? At first I thought maybe I knew him from somewhere, but then I realized he's just your prototypical freaky geek guy (you know, the d&d kind, not the working in IT kind), hence the familiarity. :cool:

You can visit their website for the basics, but what I learned is that this is nothing more than an advertisement to use the Stafford lender that is paying the AAMC to market for them, namely Dollar Bank which then feeds the debt to Sallie Mae. The max you can Stafford out is $38,500 per year, $8500(?) of which is subsidized, but you are free to choose whatever lender you want.

Bumping this for nea and others interested because I am doing my taxes and considering ways to save money next year. There is a discussion about lenders and stuff on the page referenced below and the page before it on the thread. Let me add that it is a pain to quote from closed threads, but I am pleased that it helps me procrastinate.

Did anybody do a comparison of Bank of America and T.H.E. for Staffords? T.H.E. sounds like quite a good deal, but I may have to go to BOA for private money for some extra living expenses if OU can't certify them - I think BOA is about the only major lender that will go over certified cost of attendance less aid on credit-based private loans and I can't decide whether to use them as a single lender or go T.H.E.

I actually went with Dollar because I had to rush to get my aid, but I think that others picked BoA. I don't know what T.H.E. is. By the way, looking at that thread made me realize how busy the 09er's are. I miss speedo...

It seems like lots of the 2009 people went with BoA, and the 2010 people went with T.H.E. glp actually did some comparison, and I think come out with T.H.E. being the winner.

Personally, I went with T.H.E. because I like how they tie your repayment incentives to your current repayment status and don't permanently bar you from getting the incentive if you make one late payment. I'm generally pretty good with paying bills (thank god for electronic billpay), but I'm sufficiently disorganized that I can see myself being late on a payment at some point. I actually lost out on a .25% interest rate reduction with my law school loans because I paid one of my first bills 1 day late or something like that.

So I've been reading Costanzo's big book, and it's helpful. It's also got a chapter on the autonomic system that might be useful for neuro -- it has the same pictures that Blair used. I haven't studied Dorner's stuff at all. Since it's only 2 questions, I don't feel that motivated. Maybe I'll just try to learn the formulas.

I spent an inordinate amount of time this morning at about 2:30 trying to figure out how to come up with the right flow based on the two aortic pressure readings. I had stopped the mp3 right before he said we would need to go from mmHg, which we won't be doing. This is so bad but I also had to look up how to divide a whole number by a fraction. Seriously. I haven't had to do that in at least 20 years. That's what they make calculators for :rolleyes:

There 10 dynes/cm2 per Pa, and .0075 mmHg per Pa, in case anyone cares. Once I realized you needed that gem of info, it was easy. Then I played the rest where he said we won't be doing that. That figures.

He only has 2, and I bet one is flow/resistance and the other is flow/velocity/area. I really like his part, but maybe that's because I can relate it to something more familiar like fire pump hydraulics.

You idealists that just got in, don't forget to do your scholarship apps, due 1 Mar I think.

<----back to work

It seems like lots of the 2009 people went with BoA, and the 2010 people went with T.H.E. glp actually did some comparison, and I think come out with T.H.E. being the winner.

Personally, I went with T.H.E. because I like how they tie your repayment incentives to your current repayment status and don't permanently bar you from getting the incentive if you make one late payment. I'm generally pretty good with paying bills (thank god for electronic billpay), but I'm sufficiently disorganized that I can see myself being late on a payment at some point. I actually lost out on a .25% interest rate reduction with my law school loans because I paid one of my first bills 1 day late or something like that.

i did my best last summer to look at all the options and figure out which was best. i always love any opportunity to use MS Excel. in the end the difference bt companies was like at most $500 over 10 or 30 yrs. i chose t.h.e. for the same reason as bagel, i usually am responsible but i occasionaly slip up. but the moral of the story is, it really doesnt matter. all the point deductions, bonuses, etc. are just marketing ploys and all the loan companies will make about the same amount of money off of you in the long run mol. the 2011's can look forward to the depressing task of picking a loan provider here in about 5 months. :)

Where do you get these apps?

I am thinking I won't get one if they have any need based component to them, but it never hurts to try.

i am pretty sure they werent due until sometime in May. you will get a letter from someone at the college directing you to a website with the form. they arent worth much, more like a little help with a vacation than actually requiring you to borrow less money.

someone entertain me, i am bored and dislike studying.

i am pretty sure they werent due until sometime in May. you will get a letter from someone at the college directing you to a website with the form. they arent worth much, more like a little help with a vacation than actually requiring you to borrow less money.

Me, too. Doing absolutely nothing for the first 1.5 weeks of class is a bad, bad idea.

Soonereng -- Yeah, the scholarship app is really easy. It's online, and you don't get that much money from it. It seems like most of the scholarships/grants are $3500, and they say they're both need and merit based.

Soonereng -- Yeah, the scholarship app is really easy. It's online, and you don't get that much money from it. It seems like most of the scholarships/grants are $3500, and they say they're both need and merit based.

I'm definitely out on the need based ones as I am a DINK (dual income, no kids). Even if I did leave out my salary, my wife's salary (which is greater than mine) will keep me out of the running for those. I might have a chance at some merit based ones though, but only if I don't have to be a minority or female. Do they have any specifically for WASM-type applicants? I might have a shot at that one. ;) :laugh:

Do they wait to send the letter with the web address after you fill out the FAFSA?

Maybe it was May. Whenever it was I missed it.

Speaking of vacation, who's going where this summer/spring break?

My trips are all I have to motivate me to study: no study, no pass, summer school, no trips.

That and for some reason I really like the heart. But mostly the trips.

Me, too. Doing absolutely nothing for the first 1.5 weeks of class is a bad, bad idea.

Even worse to wait 2.5 weeks. :eek:

I never filled an application out, nor did I do a FAFSA till summer, yet they gave me one of those $3500 ones in the spring time. Those awards vary.

I was able to get another grant after school started, but the source of extra funds got swapped around in the financial aid office so I'm not sure anymore how much it wound up to be or which pocket it came out of. I know a few people who got disadvantaged student money (which is where my extra funds were supposed to come from), and it was dependent only on hometown and parental income regardless of age per financial aid (they told me I could be 80 but they'd still use parental income by itself). I was a DINS (double income [two 30+ hour jobs] no spouse hehe) and made more than double of both of my parents put together yet I was still eligible.

In the end it doesn't matter. My total aid was barely half the tuition. I'll still be 200K in the red 3.5 years from now. Just treat it like an investment and forget about it. Most would agree that a medical degree will still a safe risk a decade from now.

I'm definitely out on the need based ones as I am a DINK (dual income, no kids). Even if I did leave out my salary, my wife's salary (which is greater than mine) will keep me out of the running for those. I might have a chance at some merit based ones though, but only if I don't have to be a minority or female. Do they have any specifically for WASM-type applicants? I might have a shot at that one. ;) :laugh:

Do they wait to send the letter with the web address after you fill out the FAFSA?

They'll definitely give you a link pretty soon -- it's on hippocrates, so you'll get to sort of check that out. :) It's one of those things where there's no advantage to get it in earlier than the deadline, so it's nothing to worry about now.

I'm going to Portland for spring break! :D We got tickets for $200. So I'll share a family story about my semi-slacker brother who graduated from OUHSC many years ago. He and his fiancee went to Vegas for spring break his first year, which scared my mother because she thought he should spend the break studying. Well, apparently she wasn't too wrong because he wound up making a D in physiology (supposedly because he failed the test following spring break) and having to remediate it that following summer by retaking an exam. Anyway, my mom keeps on sharing this story with me when I talk about spring break I think as some subtle hint that I should stay at home and study the whole week. It worked out fine for him, though. He wanted primary care anyway and wound up matching at his first choice. :)

By the way, looking at that thread made me realize how busy the 09er's are.

I should be busier than I am right now. I took off on Friday and finished up my instrument rating.

I'm now certified to fly in the clouds and whatnot. Awesome stuff!

I decided to take this one last weekend off before trying to get back on the med school horse.

And don't worry too much about Neuro. The first few weeks suck big time cause it feels like you're getting drowned by a ton of information but you're not really learning anything.

By March it'll suck but in a completely new and interesting way. :) Neat class, but they teach you way more than you need to know, in my opinion.

I'll put these on here for those the 2011er's or folks who didn't see them on our Discussion Board (and to serve as breadcrumbs in case I want to reference them later on SDN).

Here is a funny radio excerpt about a guy who gets busted cheating on his wife: Buddha Call (It's about ten minutes long but worth every minute).

From the Real Medical Students of Genius series (quick but still effective humor)...

Mr. Really Bad With Children Guy

Mr. Will This Be On The Exam Asker

Mr. Always Late to Small Group Guy

Mr. Always Prepared for Everything Guy

Mr. Walk Behind the Lecturer Guy

Mr. Falls Asleep During Everything Guy

Mr. Accidental Scrub Out Guy

I should be busier than I am right now. I took off on Friday and finished up my instrument rating.

I'm now certified to fly in the clouds and whatnot. Awesome stuff!

I decided to take this one last weekend off before trying to get back on the med school horse.

Congrats! :thumbup: It sounds like your weekend of fun was worth it.

Congrats! :thumbup: It sounds like your weekend of fun was worth it.

Ditto!

Yes I realize that I am all over SDN today. There is exam preparation to avoid! This goofy Grease show is terrible. 7th Heaven is coming on soon... (then Rome). :D

does anyone know why the na+/cl- cotransporter/symport is considered secondary active transport as opposed to facilitated diffusion (E-14)?

does anyone know why the na+/cl- cotransporter/symport is considered secondary active transport as opposed to facilitated diffusion (E-14)?

I don't know. Cl- would be going with its concentration gradient. However, the equilibrium potential of Cl- is 70 (the value in the syllabus has to be wrong if you use the formula -- I spent 20 minutes trying to figure that one out), so Cl- should want to leave the cell, right. Is that why it's active? I always thought the active/passive distinction was based purely on the concentration gradient, though. :confused:

Speaking of which, I had completely forgotten how log rules worked until yesterday.

I don't know. Cl- would be going with its concentration gradient. However, the equilibrium potential of Cl- is 70 (the value in the syllabus has to be wrong if you use the formula -- I spent 20 minutes trying to figure that one out), so Cl- should want to leave the cell, right. Is that why it's active? I always thought the active/passive distinction was based purely on the concentration gradient, though. :confused:

Speaking of which, I had completely forgotten how log rules worked until yesterday.

I have never had a great grasp on that whole "log" crud.

I'm not 100% sure about that previous question but I think the Na/Cl thing is considered a secondary because the Na gradient is created in part with the Na/K pump which uses ATP ? Not totally sure though.

I think any active transporter is Primary if it uses ATP as a power source...and considered Secondary if it uses a gradient that was previously made using ATP...something like that.

Crap I don't know. lol

I'm not 100% sure about that previous question but I think the Na/Cl thing is considered a secondary because the Na gradient is created in part with the Na/K pump which uses ATP ? Not totally sure though.

I think any active transporter is Primary if it uses ATP as a power source...and considered Secondary if it uses a gradient that was previously made using ATP...something like that.

Crap I don't know. lol

Hey, where have you been. :) Are you settled in your new place?

Hey, where have you been. :) Are you settled in your new place?

Heya :)
At first I was wondering who had stolen your avatar lol

I'm all moved in...about 30 miles east of campus off I-40 in Mayberry (aka Mcloud, OK).

I've been trying the homeschooling thing as much as possible for the last couple of weeks after my tranny went tits-up on my explorer. (transmission, NOT my transexual girlfriend) ;)

I also blew off studying most of the first two weeks.
The path to Class of 2011 is paved with good intentions :D

Crap I don't know. lol

That sounds right. Active directly uses ATP to move something against its concentration gradient. Secondary uses the concentration gradient of one ion (created by a pump that directly uses ATP) to move another ion up its concentration gradient.

So c. on E-14 would be using the low intracellular concentration gradient of Na and Cl to push K into the cell.

The equation works -60/z log (Xi/Xo) or 60/z log(Xo/Xi)

-60/-1 log(7/110) = -71.7

The equation works -60/z log (Xi/Xo) or 60/z log(Xo/Xi)

-60/-1 log(7/110) = -71.7

Never mind -- I'm going to do some more math. :) Oops, I missed that whole Z thing, so yeah, it is -70. Hmm, so I'm still confused like glp about the secondary active transport for the Na/Cl pump. They're both going into the cell and both are going down their concentration gradient, so why it's active? Oh well, it won't be on the test, I guess.

So last year, 31 people made Ds or Fs on the neuro mini.:scared:

Never mind -- I'm going to do some more math. :) Oops, I missed that whole Z thing, so yeah, it is -70. Hmm, so I'm still confused like glp about the secondary active transport for the Na/Cl pump. They're both going into the cell and both are going down their concentration gradient, so why it's active? Oh well, it won't be on the test, I guess.

It's not primary active transport because the protein that moves the ions through the cell membrane does not use up an ATP molecule. However it is moving an ion (K) against it's concentration gradient. It gets the energy to do that by moving another ion with its concentration gradient (Na and Cl). That energy is created by pumps that do use ATP therefore it utilizes ATP secondarily.

I'm pretty sure that I will be one those earning a D or F on the neuro mini. I would really have liked to have had a lecture on the internal anatomy of the brainstem. A lot of things in the syllabus I can get by just reading, but that section is making me crazy. I've wasted so much time I still feel like I don't get any of it.

Some may call it getting a 60%. I call it keeping my 98 intact. :laugh:

It's not primary active transport because the protein that moves the ions through the cell membrane does not use up an ATP molecule. However it is moving an ion (K) against it's concentration gradient. It gets the energy to do that by moving another ion with its concentration gradient (Na and Cl). That energy is created by pumps that do use ATP therefore it utilizes ATP secondarily.

I think that every case where sodium is moving into the cell can be thought of as based on the pull from the sodium-potassium ATPase and hence secondary.

Smitty you got me hooked on this Beauty and the Geek show. Too bad these girls aren't as pretty as you. I'm actually taping Rome. Good thing DH is a repeat. (I normally catch it on the Internet Mondays anyhow.)

I'm pretty sure that I will be one those earning a D or F on the neuro mini. I would really have liked to have had a lecture on the internal anatomy of the brainstem. A lot of things in the syllabus I can get by just reading, but that section is making me crazy. I've wasted so much time I still feel like I don't get any of it.

Yeah, the brainstem thing is horrible. I've been trying to memorize two slides at a time. Right now, I've got the lower two slides for the medulla down, but that's about it. :) In general, I'd like a bit more explanation of everything for neuro. It feels like all these little tidbits have been thrown at us, but nothing's really tied anything together.

So, are you talking about the Na+, Cl-, K+ pump. That one makes sense to me because it's moving K+ against its concentration gradient. With the Na/Cl cotransport, it just says that it moves Na and Cl into cells, which is going with the concentration gradient for both of them. Why isn't it just passive transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.