University of Oklahoma, Classes of 2008-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the powerpoints are copyrighted, and the professors I guess can control how it's used. I still think it's a little petty not to share them. Actually, Dr. Tucker did post her powerpoints for us, so I guess she changed her mind. It's also irritating if we don't get advance notice that the professor won't share them.

So is the stuff she is refusing to post also found in the syllabus?

btw...I just realized I don't have to go to class tomorrow...for some reason I was thinking I did. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

So is the stuff she is refusing to post also found in the syllabus?

btw...I just realized I don't have to go to class tomorrow...for some reason I was thinking I did. :thumbup:

I hope so! Ah, come on -- you know you want to go to EBM tomorrow. ;) Speaking of which, where the heck are our grades for the last two TBLs? I need to know just how cr@ppy I can do on the exam.

I hope so! Ah, come on -- you know you want to go to EBM tomorrow. ;) Speaking of which, where the heck are our grades for the last two TBLs? I need to know just how cr@ppy I can do on the exam.

And we still haven't gotten our grades from the dang video interviews.
I showed LOTS of cleavage and I wanna know if it paid off!

Don't ask what I did to pass GA last semester :scared: but does anyone have some Scope?

Members don't see this ad :)
And we still haven't gotten our grades from the dang video interviews.
I showed LOTS of cleavage and I wanna know if it paid off!

Don't ask what I did to pass GA last semester :scared: but does anyone have some Scope?

Yeah, who knows when we'll get the video grade. Hope the cleavage didn't go to waste. ;)

That last EBM professor just really rubbed me the wrong way, so not having our grades yet is just irritating me to no end. I don't think I'm the only one because it seems like there was this noticeable hostile dynamic between her and our class.

So I'm just not getting pulmonary mechanics from Farber's syllabus. Would cleavage work for that portion of the test? :D

So I guess I'll just talk to myself in this thread. I love Dr. Weichmann. His review today -- fantastic! I love how he organizes the course, and he's so responsive.

I'm also impressed by all the good review materials that everyone is posting.

Did anyone catch the snow?

So I guess I'll just talk to myself in this thread. I love Dr. Weichmann. His review today -- fantastic! I love how he organizes the course, and he's so responsive.

I'm also impressed by all the good review materials that everyone is posting.

Did anyone catch the snow?
I know...I walked outside to take my boys to visit their mom and I was like...what the deuce? Snow?

So, whose Dr. Weichman?:oops:

Yeah, who knows when we'll get the video grade. Hope the cleavage didn't go to waste. ;)

That last EBM professor just really rubbed me the wrong way, so not having our grades yet is just irritating me to no end. I don't think I'm the only one because it seems like there was this noticeable hostile dynamic between her and our class.

So I'm just not getting pulmonary mechanics from Farber's syllabus. Would cleavage work for that portion of the test? :D
I think as much cleavage as you're sportin around you'll do way better than I did.

And if you show the goods during test block, it'll certainly help ME out if nothing else :D

I think as much cleavage as you're sportin around you'll do way better than I did.

And if you show the goods during test block, it'll certainly help ME out if nothing else :D

I accidentally bought a push up/super padded bra because I wasn't paying attention -- perhaps I should break that out. ;)

Ok, fine - I need a study break anyway.

I'll go ahead and throw my MS3 schedule up:

Pediatrics - 7/9/07 to 8/17/07
Psychiatry - 8/20/07 to 9/28/07
OB Gyn - 10/1/07 to 11/9/07
Neurology - 11/12/07 to 11/21/07
Family Med - 11/26/07 to 12/21/07
Geriatrics - 1/7/08 to 2/1/08
Selective 1 - 2/4/08 to 2/15/08
Selective 2 - 2/18/08 to 2/29/08
Surgery - 3/3/08 to 4/25/08
Internal Med - 4/28/08 to 6/20/08

And before you start thinking I'm ******ed for picking it or something, just know that I was pick number 100... out of 108. I'm actually pretty happy with it, so no worries :thumbup:

We waitlisters are still waiting for the 15th of May. Until then, you may get a few rambling musings about the way time seems to stand still while I'm waiting.

Have a happy Easter everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cool:

Ok, fine - I need a study break anyway.

I'll go ahead and throw my MS3 schedule up:

Pediatrics - 7/9/07 to 8/17/07
Psychiatry - 8/20/07 to 9/28/07
OB Gyn - 10/1/07 to 11/9/07
Neurology - 11/12/07 to 11/21/07
Family Med - 11/26/07 to 12/21/07
Geriatrics - 1/7/08 to 2/1/08
Selective 1 - 2/4/08 to 2/15/08
Selective 2 - 2/18/08 to 2/29/08
Surgery - 3/3/08 to 4/25/08
Internal Med - 4/28/08 to 6/20/08

And before you start thinking I'm ******ed for picking it or something, just know that I was pick number 100... out of 108. I'm actually pretty happy with it, so no worries :thumbup:

What are you - stupid? j/k :) So I guess the general theme is that people don't want to end with medicine and surgery, which is why that was stilling waiting around for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you - stupid? j/k :) So I guess the general theme is that people don't want to end with medicine and surgery, which is why that was stilling waiting around for you?

Yeah, a lot of people I think wanted to get them out of the way earlier. I honestly don't mind though - I'll probably come off surgery and med and just go straight into Step 2, as I don't think I'll ever be better prepared for it.

Yeah, a lot of people I think wanted to get them out of the way earlier. I honestly don't mind though - I'll probably come off surgery and med and just go straight into Step 2, as I don't think I'll ever be better prepared for it.

Puh-lease, like you'll take Step 2 that early with your 280ish Step 1 :rolleyes: ;)

Last semester, I thought, ya know I bet neuro will be cool cuz it's all like logical and circuitry and ****, patterns, that sort of stuff. I take it back.

searched this thread for info about places to live and i still have some ?'s

is north 122nd right off broadway extension a bad commute in the morning?

any apartment suggestions for something safe and nice. i looked in downtown but didn't really find anything that great. i'm mostly looking north because i need to stay away from norman and my friends next year.

any apartment suggestions for something safe and nice. i looked in downtown but didn't really find anything that great. i'm mostly looking north because i need to stay away from norman and my friends next year.

Is that the Links? I think I heard someone say they lived up that way just the other day. It sounds like combat driving to me. I'm sort of biased, as I've just really begun to HATE driving, but I'd prolly try to live as close as you feel comfortable. Every minute you spend behind the wheel is one you can't spend doing something either productive or wasteful but still cool.

At 8 in the morning coming from anywhere is a bad commute imo.

Last semester, I thought, ya know I bet neuro will be cool cuz it's all like logical and circuitry and ****, patterns, that sort of stuff. I take it back.

What's funny is I used to think I'd hate neuro cuz it was too complicated...
and I was right.

It feels good to be right about something for a change.

Right there with ya. Does that mean we should always listen to the MS2s? :)

OUMD, about apartments, I knew several people who live right in that area. It shouldn't be a horrible commute, but driving on 235 does suck, especially at 8 am. Of course, if you don't go to class, traffic's not an issue. ;)

The problem with downtown is that it costs way too much for anything not scary. Deep Deuce's rent is ridiculous, imo, considering we're in Oklahoma City.

Right there with ya. Does that mean we should always listen to the MS2s? :)

OUMD, about apartments, I knew several people who live right in that area. It shouldn't be a horrible commute, but driving on 235 does suck, especially at 8 am. Of course, if you don't go to class, traffic's not an issue. ;)

The problem with downtown is that it costs way too much for anything not scary. Deep Deuce's rent is ridiculous, imo, considering we're in Oklahoma City.

I may be a little biased, but I'm very happy with where I live. I rent a house in the neighborhood on the west side of May between NW 39th and 50th. The houses are older (and smaller), but it really works out well for a med student trying to live within their means :) The rent is cheap (for most places around $425-500), the neighborhood is pretty safe (I lock my doors, but I don't have any problems walking around late at night), and it takes about as long to commute as it does to walk from my car to class (~10-15 minutes now that we have to park at the very back of O lot). I'm RIGHT next to I-44, so I'm about 5 minutes away from Penn Square, Walmart, etc., and my commute is evenly split between 44 and 235, so I only have to spend 5-7ish minutes dealing with traffic in the morning (since 44 is usually not bad at all). There's also the bonus that since they're houses instead of apts, you can have a dog or a kitty if you want. Anyway, that's my little plug for my area (which always seems to have for-rent signs out in a few yards). There are also a ton of other cheap little neighborhoods like this if you keep an eye out, this one just has the added bonus of super-easy interstate access :)

I may be a little biased, but I'm very happy with where I live. I rent a house in the neighborhood on the west side of May between NW 39th and 50th. The houses are older (and smaller), but it really works out well for a med student trying to live within their means :) The rent is cheap (for most places around $425-500), the neighborhood is pretty safe (I lock my doors, but I don't have any problems walking around late at night), and it takes about as long to commute as it does to walk from my car to class (~10-15 minutes now that we have to park at the very back of O lot). I'm RIGHT next to I-44, so I'm about 5 minutes away from Penn Square, Walmart, etc., and my commute is evenly split between 44 and 235, so I only have to spend 5-7ish minutes dealing with traffic in the morning (since 44 is usually not bad at all). There's also the bonus that since they're houses instead of apts, you can have a dog or a kitty if you want. Anyway, that's my little plug for my area (which always seems to have for-rent signs out in a few yards). There are also a ton of other cheap little neighborhoods like this if you keep an eye out, this one just has the added bonus of super-easy interstate access :)

Yeah, I live in a duplex around 40th & Portland, so similar area but a tad farther away. I-44 isn't bad at all -- 235 is much worse. NW Expressway sucks, though, so I'd try to live somewhere that would avoid any required commute on that road. I've got to say I'd rather be where I'm at than in some huge complex up on 122nd, but I've got a thing about huge apartment complexes.

Well, my original plans of staying where I am and uber-commuting to OKC aren't going to work out with the wifey pregnant with twins, so I am going to have to move to O-town.

So what do you guys think about living over by the Lake Hefner area? Too far to commute (which I only plan on doing when I have to)? I've got my eye on Crown Pointe which is on N. MacArthur. Anybody heard anything positive or negative about the place? I haven't checked on availability or anything, just wondering what you guys thought. I don't mind driving or getting up early for the longer commute if I have to.

Well, my original plans of staying where I am and uber-commuting to OKC aren't going to work out with the wifey pregnant with twins, so I am going to have to move to O-town.

So what do you guys think about living over by the Lake Hefner area? Too far to commute (which I only plan on doing when I have to)? I've got my eye on Crown Pointe which is on N. MacArthur. Anybody heard anything positive or negative about the place? I haven't checked on availability or anything, just wondering what you guys thought. I don't mind driving or getting up early for the longer commute if I have to.

I know someone who lives by Lake Hefner, so it's doable. Also, tons of people live in Edmond, Moore, Norman, so not living super close isn't a huge issue. The nice thing about homeschooling is that you're usually not getting to school at 8 am or leaving around 5 pm, so you avoid most of the traffic. Would you have walking access to the trails around Lake Hefner? That would be totally worth it to me.

No, it's too far north, but I just like that general area of OKC better than others.

That's the part of OKC I affectionately call "The Other Side of the ****ING World"

People are always wanting to go ride there or run the trail...:thumbdown: I'd rather just drive a few minutes to the RED dirt of Draper,,,, where at least I can see something cool like a dead body or something...

So I hadn't looked at Dr. Thompson's stuff until like 30 minutes ago, and it's horrible. It's bringing back every anatomy nightmare I've ever had. Neuro just plan sucks!

So I hadn't looked at Dr. Thompson's stuff until like 30 minutes ago, and it's horrible. It's bringing back every anatomy nightmare I've ever had. Neuro just plan sucks!

wow. you are starting to make me feel responsible and diligent. that is a bad sign.

OUMD and soonereng - housing is personal choice. ill echo bagel and say that people in my mod live as far as norman and edmond and manage to make it to class. broadway ext/ I-235 is the worst road in the city at rush hour though, traffic can be pretty slow esp around I-235 and I-44 intersection.

if youre interested in renting closer to campus, http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ has some listings for apts and homes all over the city. i will recommend actually coming to okc and driving around to figure out where you want to live. just looking at apt listings online is probably a bad idea bc you wont get a very representative sample of everything that is available.

I agree. I've studied neuro big time at the expense of my other classes and still feel lost.

I need to go to campus tomorrow I guess so I can look at those brains in the mods.

Regarding Deep Deuce, I went as far as going to their office and getting a brochure, fully intending to at least put my name on a waiting list, until I saw the prices. Imagine.. 1-bed, 1-bath, 515 square feet, for $610/mo, PLUS bills. Holy crap.

I'm buying a house instead, around 45th and Penn.

Regarding Deep Deuce, I went as far as going to their office and getting a brochure, fully intending to at least put my name on a waiting list, until I saw the prices. Imagine.. 1-bed, 1-bath, 515 square feet, for $610/mo, PLUS bills. Holy crap.

I'm buying a house instead, around 45th and Penn.

My fiance and I are looking into the idea of buying a house right now. Is it just me or does it seem like you can have mortgage payments or whatever they are called that are less than rent? The ones I was looking at online (for pretty cheap houses - think 50K range) would only require payments of <$300/month....We are thinking about choosing Spencer or MWC as our location, for it's closeness to his work. Spencer is just about 5-10 min east of I-35 around I-44, so it wouldn't be a bad drive at all. Pretty much anywhere you live in the OKC/Edmond/Moore areas, it will be a 15 - 30 min drive to school.

Comment on living on 122nd & broadway - it would probably take less time to drive east on 122nd or hefner down to I-35 and take it over to 10th street exit & drive back up to campus to avoid the major slow-downs of I-235 & I-44 intersection. I live off 122nd & Penn and if I'm driving south any time between about 7 and 9:00 or so, I take hefner parkway instead. On that note, living near Lake Hefner is comlpetely doable b/c you can just hop on Hefner parkway, drive down to either I-44 or I-40 and get back to campus, easy breezy. For the most part, I think the 122nd and MacArthur area is pretty decent - most of the stuff near lake hefner seems to be. Plus - bonus of walking around the lake, which I love.

Only 5 more weeks of ever being an undergrad!!! :hardy: Ok so I've already graduated, but I actually get to move on this time! Woohoo!

I think they call it Deep Deuce cuz that's where they put it....

Wax, FWIW as an East-Sider, I'd be leary of anything for 50K within 10 mins. of campus. And yeah you can usually buy for at least the same if not a lower payment, but having a landlord to call when **** goes wrong can be handy. I bought a fixer-upper, so I don't mind the work (I did at the time. I pulled SO many overnighters trying to get my house ready for school and the baby...I could FEEL myself getting older), but I've had a plumber out at 2:30 in the morning, replaced shingles a few weeks ago after some windiness, fixed some fencing, and have to mow my own grass (that's the worst part of the whole deal, whoever the first man was to cut his lawn should've had his balls cut off and stuffed in his throat.....). Sometimes, being able to call someone else and say, "Come fix this ****..." is worth a little bit of extra dough. But you pay for it regardless I guess either way.

And it can be a gamble when you aren't sure if you're bailing OKC in 2 years; you may dig Tulsa...not to mention residency...

But I had pets and a stubborn wife; I wasn't getting out of buying.....

My fiance and I are looking into the idea of buying a house right now. Is it just me or does it seem like you can have mortgage payments or whatever they are called that are less than rent? The ones I was looking at online (for pretty cheap houses - think 50K range) would only require payments of <$300/month....We are thinking about choosing Spencer or MWC as our location, for it's closeness to his work. Spencer is just about 5-10 min east of I-35 around I-44, so it wouldn't be a bad drive at all. Pretty much anywhere you live in the OKC/Edmond/Moore areas, it will be a 15 - 30 min drive to school.

Comment on living on 122nd & broadway - it would probably take less time to drive east on 122nd or hefner down to I-35 and take it over to 10th street exit & drive back up to campus to avoid the major slow-downs of I-235 & I-44 intersection. I live off 122nd & Penn and if I'm driving south any time between about 7 and 9:00 or so, I take hefner parkway instead. On that note, living near Lake Hefner is comlpetely doable b/c you can just hop on Hefner parkway, drive down to either I-44 or I-40 and get back to campus, easy breezy. For the most part, I think the 122nd and MacArthur area is pretty decent - most of the stuff near lake hefner seems to be. Plus - bonus of walking around the lake, which I love.

Only 5 more weeks of ever being an undergrad!!! :hardy: Ok so I've already graduated, but I actually get to move on this time! Woohoo!

If you're sure you'll want to stay in OKC for third and fourth year (for example, if fiance's job is in OKC), buying is definitely the way to go. I really wish I'd have done it, since I ended up getting forced to stay in OKC for husband's job, but now it's too late to buy.

On the other hand, if Tulsa's a possibility, you will lose money selling a house in 2 years. I've always heard that 3-4 years is the magic amount of time to stay in a house that you've bought-- any less and you'll be sorry. So, buying a house can definitely save you some money as long as you realize that it's a commitment to do MSIII and MSIV in OKC. Which isn't so bad ;)

MWC is a great area to buy as well. The closer you get to Tinker, the less you really have to worry about crime, and the houses are dirt cheap. We were definitely going to look there if we did decide to buy (which we should have, but I wasn't willing to definitely give up Tulsa, but ended up doing it anyway).

Oh, if you're wondering what the deal is with Tulsa-- it's smaller (even with a record number going to Tulsa this year, we only sent about 43), and more broken up over several community hospitals. Many people say that you get more actual hands on experience in Tulsa since there are fewer med students, but the OKC students say that that's not really true since we have so many more patients. *shrug* I can't really say one way or the other at this point. I think that in the end, nobody seems to really be upset that they chose one or the other, so I don't think you'll really be missing much if you do end up buying. But some of the Tulsa people may beg to differ :)

Oh, if you're wondering what the deal is with Tulsa-- it's smaller (even with a record number going to Tulsa this year, we only sent about 43), and more broken up over several community hospitals. Many people say that you get more actual hands on experience in Tulsa since there are fewer med students, but the OKC students say that that's not really true since we have so many more patients. *shrug* I can't really say one way or the other at this point. I think that in the end, nobody seems to really be upset that they chose one or the other, so I don't think you'll really be missing much if you do end up buying. But some of the Tulsa people may beg to differ :)

This 43 thing is sorta worrying me because what if I want to go to Tulsa and can't. Yeah, I know it's never happened before, but since our class is the biggest class in history, it seems like it could happen with us. It was funny because when I interviewed, the students kept on reassuring us that they don't make anybody go to Tulsa, which was the total opposite of my concern.

This 43 thing is sorta worrying me because what if I want to go to Tulsa and can't. Yeah, I know it's never happened before, but since our class is the biggest class in history, it seems like it could happen with us. It was funny because when I interviewed, the students kept on reassuring us that they don't make anybody go to Tulsa, which was the total opposite of my concern.

I talked with someone via email about that...he was pretty much 'in the know" and said we could go...even if they got more than the 43 or 50 limit they would make room for a few more if it goes over. He's an MS4 in Tulsa who is a rep for the program or something...I can't remember, but this was just a few weeks ago.

I'm going to Tulsa.
How else can I stalk you, bagel babe? :D

ps...that mace didn't hurt that long, so :p

im not really sure what is available for 50K. dont forget about taxes and maintenance costs (which could be a lot in a cheap house). but buying makes A LOT more sense if you have a spouse that has income from which you can deduct mortgage interest. for single students living on loan money it makes less sense bc their is no subsidization from income tax deductions.

im going over her stuff again right now, it is easily the worst material in the syllabus this block. even worse than O'Don.

im going over her stuff again right now, it is easily the worst material in the syllabus this block. even worse than O'Don.

God, O'Don -- his stuff this time is horrid. It's nice with Thompson how her powerpoints, syllabus and lecture are all identical. :rolleyes: I was hoping to get some clarity (and less dense material) from looking at notegroups and the powerpoints -- no such luck.

Starting a test block always brings that old saying to mind...

"We, who are about to die, salute you!" :scared:

So that downstairs part of the neuro practical sucked!! I almost had a panic attack. :eek:
I got a lot more right downstairs than upstairs I think...and I still think I failed the downstairs.

Upstairs I was like...ummm...next please...ummmmmm.....next....GRRRrr....
I seriously only got a few correct upstairs.

I studied my *ss off for the written part and only made a 72%. I guess I'll study my feet off next block since I have no *ss left.

I'm behind in all the other studies cuz I spent too much time on that neuro crap.:mad:

I just watched a vid of fat*ss al "I hate whitey" sharpton and the often annoying imus, talking on a show about his saying "nappy headed hoes"

Am I the only one who didn't know nappy was a "racial slur" (if it is)?
I thought some black ppl were whining about him saying "hoes", not nappy.
lol

What is the history of the word nappy? I thought it meant something like "dumb*ss, or goofylooking". What does nappy mean?

All I could find was that it had something to do with the british or a diaper lol

You need to visit urban dictionary for a different slant on your favorite slang. ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nappy

It's a wiki dictionary of sorts.

Oh my.... so in certain circles nappy means an african american with unkept hair...well now I see what all the fuss is about with sharpton...that piece of **** probably hasn't washed his hair since he ran outta hoe money from his "flock"...he is a mail-order reverand eh? :rolleyes:

I got a lot more right downstairs than upstairs I think...and I still think I failed the downstairs.

Upstairs I was like...ummm...next please...ummmmmm.....next....GRRRrr....
I seriously only got a few correct upstairs.

I studied my *ss off for the written part and only made a 72%. I guess I'll study my feet off next block since I have no *ss left.

I'm behind in all the other studies cuz I spent too much time on that neuro crap.:mad:

Exactly opposite here. I don't remember exactly what I put, but I know I missed a ton downstairs but got either everything or very close to everything right upstairs. I just suck at spatial orientation, so whenever I see a partial brainstem or whatever, I blank. You can at least memorize the slides and know that they'll always be in the same orientation. :)

72% is passing, so it's all that you need. :thumbup: Also, Dr. Blair said that people generally do the best on the last test -- looking at the stats for last year, it looks like the worst performance was on this test.

So now on to meth.

Oh my.... so in certain circles nappy means an african american with unkept hair...well now I see what all the fuss is about with sharpton...that piece of **** probably hasn't washed his hair since he ran outta hoe money from his "flock"...he is a mail-order reverand eh? :rolleyes:

I was pretty sure your first post regarding sharpton and imus was laced with sarcasm; you can never tell with pure text, which is why I'm so liberal with my emoticons.

On a completely different note, don't believe upperclassmen when they tell you the 5th IHI test wasn't that bad. I and several of my mod-mates feel like we got worked over pretty well this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.