Quantcast

University of Oklahoma School of Dentistry??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahlbj

Part-Time Rock Star
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey

Just curious of anybody out there is applying to the University of Oklahoma. I'm an OK resident, and its my first choice.

-Brian

predental03

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Count me in!! I will be taking my DAT next summer and applying for the next go-round. I've live in OK for 21 years, going to OU for my undergrad and hate the thought of having to leave.......not to say that I wouldnt...but OU dental school is definately my #1 choice. Good Luck!! :D

Brittany

wahlbj

Part-Time Rock Star
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Glad to see another Oklahoman out there. I grew up in Oklahoma but went to college in Kansas. I started working as a lab technician at the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation a year ago when I graduated, so I get to see the dental school every day, haha. It's good inspiration for my DAT studying.

Brittany, you know Dr. Halterman there at OU? I'm taking an online Organic Chemistry 2 course from him right now.

-Brian

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know, if OK takes any texas residents. I am thinkin of adding them to my list for oustate schools. But not sure, I would think that they would considering were practically neighbors and all.

thanks again
HD.

predental03

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Hockeydentist.......I am not 100% sure, however I think that preference is given to Ok residents.......It seems to me that most dental schools give preference to their state residents, which personally I think is ridiculus. Anyhow, one of my close friends, and Texas resident, applied to OU and said that she had to make her application really stand out.........she said it was a bit harder than when she applied/interviewed in Texas. But that is just what I heard from her. I do know for certain that Oklahoma residents are given the option of applying directly to OU rather than having to go through AADSAS. Hope all that helps a little..........Good Luck!!

Brittany

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its a nice option, if you're from texas and can't get into texas dental school.

wahlbj

Part-Time Rock Star
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
predental03 said:
seems to me that most dental schools give preference to their state residents, which personally I think is ridiculus. Brittany

Public state schools are funded by the state, so essentially the state residents fund the school (tax money), and that is why public state schools give preference to state residents. Private schools, on the other hand, are funded by the students, so it doesn't matter to them where the students are from, as long as they are paying. This is also why most private schools cost about $30,000 a year and public schools cost more like 12,000 or 15,000/yr (if you're a resident of the state they're in).

To answer your question, Hockey (kinda), i know that OU is taking a few more out of state residents. They are taking 10 now. I think they used to take 7 or maybe 8. Now the class is 50 in-state students and 10 out of state students. I don't know if they give any kind of preference to neighboring states for those 10 out of state spots. Sorry I'm not more help.

wahlbj

Part-Time Rock Star
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a little more info on OU today.

I took a tour with another student who's applying. The tour was given by the President of the 2nd year class (justin, i think). He was very helpful and gave a good tour.

The college recieved a 4 million dollar grant 2 years ago. 2 million of that is going to upgrade their clinical facilities in the school, and part of the other half is going to build a computer based simulation lab (much like Arizona's).

He also gave some insight as to how interviews are granted. You are given points according to your GPA (he was pretty sure it was overall GPA) and DAT scores. A 3.5 or better GPA gets you 5 points (5 being the highest) and a DAT of 18 or better gets you 5 points. Lower GPA's and DAT's were given lower points, down to 1. The point totals are than added together to give a total, from 2 to 10. 10's are called first for interviews, then 9's, then 8's, and so on. Interviews start in October and go through Dec. or Jan. The committee meets first in Nov. and decides the first 20 spots. Then again in late dec. or early Jan. to decide the next 20 spots, then again in late Jan to decide the final 20 spots. I was also told by Debbie, the main admissions counselor, that all oklahoma residents who apply are granted interviews.

Justin (I think that was the name of the student who lead the tour) said OU is one of the most clinical based dental schools in the country. Probably not good if you want to go into research, but great for practicing dentistry. He said you see patients already in the 2nd semester of your first year.

So far everybody has been very polite and very helpful. Debbie is the person you'd talk to the most who handles admissions. She's great on the phone, but hasn't answered e-mails very quick. Here's the number: (405) 271-3530 . I've also had contact with Dr. Miller, the Associate Dean of Student Affairs. He's very polite and eager to answer questions.

Let me know if anybody's got any other questions about OU.

-Brian

wahlbj

Part-Time Rock Star
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And by the way, HockeyDentist. . . .keep makin' gold records, Bruce Dickinson.

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the words that are comin outta your mouth!

please elaborate
HD :laugh:

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
you were refering to my kick ass signature,

did anyone see the sketch, it was hilarous.

wahlbj

Part-Time Rock Star
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hockeydentist said:
you were refering to my kick ass signature,

did anyone see the sketch, it was hilarous.

Will Ferrell in his prime, my friend., and of course, Christopher Walken wierd as ever.

"I put my pants on one leg at a time, only, when I'm wearing pants, I make gold records. I'm Bruce Dickinson"

-Brian