University of Oklahoma-Tulsa (OU) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedManU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the OU Tulsa ER program? I was just curious what anyone thinks of the training since it is fairly new.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about the OU Tulsa ER program? I was just curious what anyone thinks of the training since it is fairly new.

They just changed hospitals July 1 and are now at Hillcrest in Tulsa. They haven't graduated a class yet. They're the only ACGME EM residency in OK, although there are 2 DO programs. If you're MD and want to get back to OK, they're you're only option.

DrMom did her EM there (I believe), or knows a lot about it. PM her.

Actually I didn't. I did my residency with OSU, not OU.

Members don't see this ad :)

I rotated there last year. I didn't apply in EM, so I can't compare it to other places, and I rotated mainly at SFH (the old main hospital) not Hillcrest. I think it's a decent program. The attendings are nice and knowledge, and the residents seemed pretty happy. Their resident class is pretty strong, too, even though it's a new program. I think they're graduating their first group this year.

One thing I'm wondering, though. With the switch to Hillcrest, are they still rotating a lot at the other hospitals including, SFH. SJH and SFH are the two trauma centers in town, and there's a surgery program at SJH, so SFH is a place you'd need to rotate at to get significant trauma experience. When I was rotating there, they were pretty hushed about the Hillcrest switch, but the people in charge kept on reiterating that residents will rotate at all 3 hospitals. About the switch, the lower level residents seemed pretty positive about Hillcrest, but the upper level ones really preferred SFH I think mainly because they were used to it.

The OU Dept of Emergency Medicine was established as a full department in 2006. It is based in Tulsa, OK, and committed to serving both the Tulsa and Oklahoma City campuses. Clinical practice is currently based at the Hillcrest Medical Center (home of the Oklahoma Heart Institute, the Alexander Burn Center, and the Helmerich Women's Hospital). ED annual volume is approximately 60,000 visits, with about 20% pediatric visits.

If you are interested in more information, please visit: www.oudem.org, or come for a visiting rotation (we can help with a place to stay)!

i interviewed here and i will start by saying i left the interview with a very positive impression of the program!!

it's a smaller program, 6 residents, ~$48K salary in first year

pros
- curriculum was ED heavy - no wards months! 18, 17, 16 shifts for pgy 1, 2 and 3 respectively
-faculty were outstanding - i felt they were the strength of the program. i really really liked them and sincerely felt id be very happy working for them.
-PD dr. burns seemed very commited to the underserved population in tulsa and closing the discrepancy in morbidity/age expectancy within lower socioeconomic and more affluent people in the community
-dr. whelan the - u/s director seems very invested in training her residents and seems to dedicate a significant amount of time to them individually. she discussed the opportunity to be u/s certified during training w/ shift reduction so you can come in and scan. seeing a woman in a leadership role was also plus
-by far the most lucrative moonlighting opportunities i encountered on the interview trail
-my impression is they do recruit a strong group of residents, i believe they quoted their average step 2 score of ~244
-academic/scholarly feel w/ expectation for residents to publish something each year
-i felt the culture w/in the ED was to manage your patients w/o calling for backup; my impression was solid training here

cons
- 2 years vacation per year :/
-smaller program
-very male heavy...only 3 females in all 3 EM classes combined!
-every resident i met was married
-although everyone i met was very nice, culturally i will say i felt a disconnect with the residents. there was a lot of talk regarding football, guns (1 week after the newtown incident) and owning farm animals as pets

if you love the south and southern culture then i would highly encourage you to apply here as i found it to be a well-rounded and solid program!

I'll add my two cents...first, a little background: I actually did a year of emergency medicine there before switching over to internal medicine (for reasons that had nothing to do with my satisfaction with the program, I just found that I loved internal medicine and to the faculty's credit, they supported me through the switch).

When I was at OUDEM, the program was still relatively new (about 2 years old), but I was very happy with the faculty. In fact, I would probably call it the greatest strength of the program. The chair, Stephen Thomas, is fantastic. He's very supportive of the residents, expects a lot, but I think he'll be able to take the program where it needs to go. He will take the time to get to know each of the residents. The program director, Bo Burns, is another one of the strengths...really bright guy, very easy to work with, can't say enough good things about him. I saw Dr. Whelan mentioned earlier, and she (along with Thomas and Burns) is one of the real strengths of the program. She's excellent with ultrasound (and this is coming from a guy that never got real interested in ultrasound) and is a fantastic teacher. The point of the above paragraph: Can't say enough good things about the faculty.

Since it's been several years since I've been there, I can't comment as well on the other aspects of the program (current residents, patient population, etc). But I think it says a lot about the character of the faculty that even when I decided I wanted to switch to a different residency, they went out of their way to accommodate me and found a IM residency that was a perfect fit. As I said above, my two cents...

Looks like 90% of OUDEM is OK residents. Any newer reviews? Thanks:)

I just secured an audition rotation at the EM program. Anyone have information on it?